Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Applesnots posted:

I could really go for a truck stop gas station hot dog right about now, grab the most burnt looking one and slather it in mustard, kraut and banana peppers.
I have a gut of iron and parasites.

I would say that’s the saddest possible thing but then I realized stealing it would be even sadder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I think the first event on the fast food forum is to guess which fast food is every admin and mods favorite.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Inverse posted:

I would say that’s the saddest possible thing but then I realized stealing it would be even sadder.

trying to pay for it and having your card declined

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Heather Papps posted:

“Damnit I thought I had 3 dollars in my checking account can you wait ima call my bank”

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This divorce is taking forever

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Lucavi posted:

watching the game with richard, made a smoked marlin dip

Marlin? Wow that's expensive... but hell, I guess you can afford to splurge a little on $9000 a month! :D

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I have video evidence that I ate 99 McNuggets on my birthday last year and I’m going to do it again this year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

This divorce is taking forever

I know, that's why I'm reading about foods to eat while I wait for court dates

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
UPDATE: still not divorced

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
How about bacon wrapped dates

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Lowtax posted:

well i mean you are but just not divorced from this one

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It seems like actually getting divorced is way harder than actually ending a relationship. I get they want to make sure everyone is really sure about it bc it’s terminating a legal agreement but the more I learn about how divorce works the more I don’t blame my parents for sticking out a loveless marriage bc drat the alternative is a lot of lawyers

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

JK Fresco posted:

How about bacon wrapped dates

I’ve been on dates before but this is unheard of!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Well, you know, the SA forums were originally created to curtail pervasive early memes, like ‘L3375P34K’, that made other social media platforms unreadable. Today’s leetspeak-equivalent is Twitter-style communication.

Brief ironic posts about Arby’s and Hitler are internet status quo, and there’s a huge demand for something else. Instead of directly competing with Twitter, what can the forums do that Twitter can’t? The two things I’d single out are long-form writing, and moderation that extends beyond simply removing ‘objectionable content’ and into actually curating good (interesting, valuable) content.

People will shout that SA is a comedy website, but if every post is scrambling to be a punchline there’s no setup - you lose the actual jokes. It ends up being spam. You have these dozens of specific subforums where people talk about their interests, and comedy grows out of that. Like, a dude sincerely trying to renovate his bathroom ended up being one of the funniest things in recent memory because many of the people dunking on it were skilled contractors giving detailed feedback.

Those kind of writers have been leaving.

Curating good content today also entails being political - and I absolutely don’t mean that in the sense of ‘political correctness’. It’s just proven again and again that social media naturally amplifies existing problems. What we have in this particular case is an amplification of the familiar right-wing populism on the one side (and some degree of liberal sensitivity to harassment on the other). The only way out is further to the left.

You have an opportunity now to disassociate your brand from that crap - and Gaming Garbage is a part of the SA brand.

And anyway: do you have more in common with those people who are really struggling, or with these fake nihilists?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, you know, the SA forums were originally created to curtail pervasive early memes like ‘L3375P34K’, that made other social media platforms unreadable. Today’s leetspeak-equivalent is Twitter-style communication.

Brief ironic posts about Arby’s and Hitler are internet status quo, and there’s a huge demand for something else. Instead of directly competing with Twitter, what can the forums do that Twitter can’t? The two things I’d single out are long-form writing, and moderation that extends beyond simply removing ‘objectionable content’ and into actually curating good (interesting, valuable) content.

People will shout that SA is a comedy website, if every post is scrambling to be a punchline there’s no setup - you lose the actual jokes. It ends up being spam. You have these dozens of specific subforums where people talk about their interests, and comedy grows out of that. Like, a dude sincerely trying to renovate his bathroom ended up being one of the funniest things in recent memory because many of the people dunking on it were skilled contractors giving detailed feedback.

Curating good content today also entails being political - and I absolutely don’t mean that in the sense of ‘political correctness’. It’s just proven again and again that social media naturally amplifies existing problems. What we have in this particular case is an amplification of the familiar right-wing populism on the one side (and some degree of liberal sensitivity to harassment on the other). The only way out is further to the left.

You have an opportunity now to disassociate your brand from that crap - and Gaming Garbage is a part of the SA brand.

And anyway: do you have more in common with those people who are really struggling, or with these fake nihilists?

look at this

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Well, you know, the SA forums were originally created to curtail pervasive early memes, like ‘L3375P34K’, that made other social media platforms unreadable. Today’s leetspeak-equivalent is Twitter-style communication.

People will shout that SA is a comedy website, but if every post is scrambling to be a punchline there’s no setup - you lose the actual jokes. It ends up being spam. You have these dozens of specific subforums where people talk about their interests, and comedy grows out of that. Like, a dude sincerely trying to renovate his bathroom ended up being one of the funniest things in recent memory because many of the people dunking on it were skilled contractors giving detailed feedback.

1 B3L13\/3 1N N0T|-|1NG L4M3R L0L

edit: 001010011010100110 H3X 3D1T1NG J00

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 3, 2020

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Lowtax posted:

Speed run failed start over

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Like, a dude sincerely trying to renovate his bathroom ended up being one of the funniest things in recent memory because many of the people dunking on it were skilled contractors giving detailed feedback.

pretty sure it was the photoshops that people thought were funny

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

/

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Lowtax are you going to the super bowl parade? probably a lot of chicks there.

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
did not read the boring post above (not one of mine)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Forums fanfiction is loving poo poo

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

didn't read lol

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

You are ruining the good image and name of Untitled Goose

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Syenite posted:

Man Superbowl commercials this year are just dumb and inane.

Yeah. This year.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

ill take door number 2

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Very succinctly put, SMG. Unfortunately, I don’t think this is going to alter the current trajectory of driving off the former and embracing the latter.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I bet there's a poop joke in that wall of text somewhere.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

VikingSkull posted:

look at this

You can’t make me

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

You can’t make me

it'd be a war crime if I did

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

In thr fast food forum reading should also be fast, no long posts

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Goons Are Great posted:

I bet there's a poop joke in that wall of text somewhere.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

flashman posted:

In thr fast food forum reading should also be fast, no long posts

agreed, get in, read some posts, and get out in under five minutes, should be the goal

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Heather Papps posted:

had this happen to me because someone at my credit union entered the wrong date on my mobile deposit for my paycheck. I was overdrawn with like $200 in overdraft fees so they cut me off, fortunately when I called them thye were like "oops our bad" and refunded everything.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

hitler website every memes

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

VikingSkull posted:

hitler website every memes

fake good comedy

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Amazing, thank you. We should have this for every bigass post ITT.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

had this happen to me because someone at my credit union entered the wrong date on my mobile deposit for my paycheck. I was overdrawn with like $200 in overdraft fees so they cut me off, fortunately when I called them thye were like "oops our bad" and refunded everything.

i have the exact same full name as a guy who had an account with my credit union before me and it caused a similar situation. credit unions may have some drawbacks but their customer service tends to be up at the wendys level of excellence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey Lowtax, it seems obvious that acquiescing and giving the FYAD rejects a new forum called gently caress You And Dine, where the same clique goes right back to acting the same way, is going to have the same end results as the last time.