Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think some of those answers are wrong. #41, wasn't the question "Idina Menzel beat Kristin Chenoweth for the Tony"? That's not Frozen, that's Wicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

there's an error on that: 41 should be Wicked, as they likely confused Kristen Chenowith (the original Glinda) with Kristen Bell. Still has Howard's long-suffering wife in both of 'em.
Thanks. I did give that as the answer but didn't think it was right as I was typing, another 15 seconds and I probably would have convinced myself to switch

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Oh ho! I actually thought I got Henry VIII's wife wrong, but I had it right! 42/50, then. Hopefully I can get the phone call this time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Tonys are for Broadway musicals (not movies) and Kristin Chenoweth wasn't in Frozen.

What was the question with the answer "cause"?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

41 for me.

Anne Whateley posted:

What were the questions with the answers "standard" and "cause"?

"This is the 'S' in the S&P 500"

Then something about how an arrest in an investigation requires probable this.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Tonys are for Broadway musicals (not movies) and Kristin Chenoweth wasn't in Frozen.

What were the questions with the answers "standard" and "cause"?
The S in S&P 500; "probable ___"

Mukaikubo posted:

Oh ho! I actually thought I got Henry VIII's wife wrong, but I had it right!
Same, his wives come up constantly, that needs to be on the "just memorize it" list like presidents and stuff.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Oh thank you. I actually got both of those right, but apparently my short-term memory only works on proper nouns

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

somewhere around 40, give or take 2.

Totally blanked on one I should’ve known, and changed my answer on one and got it wrong as a result. Oh well.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Missed Byron (deliberated between him and Tennyson, don't know poo poo about either, picked wrong), armadillo, Ibsen, Libya, copper, orange (if I'd had ten more seconds I think I would've changed my answer to this, I debated it), Sagittarius, and Dodgers. 42/50

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It felt more my style, looks like I got 35. I have some pretty big Jeopardy gaps that I refuse to work on, but the quiz is fun :)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
48/50, didn’t read the category and said Glee for the menzel/chenoweth one and flat out didn’t know Jaffa and whatever (food is a massive blind spot for me)

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Ugh, hosed the dog on the practice test. 23/30, most embarrassingly I blanked on Verdi.

Hopefully the actual test goes better in 15 minutes or so!

E: Better, probably about 43/50. Blanked on Coleridge and Sorkin but I've done worse.

E2: vvv the closer they are, the faster they orbit vvv

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 30, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got 6 on the practice test, but I'm confident I did well on the real one tonight. At Least better than last year.

Time to watch The Planets on Nova.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Put a Numistmatics on the test every time, kthx. I think I got 45? I'm waiting to see what JBoard tells me.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Daniel day Lewis Carroll

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really enjoyed the champ from early this week. Her reactions to every clue were like she was being controlled by a malfunctioning AI and I really enjoyed it. When she did a fake sleeve-rolling followed by a hair flip going into FJ down last night I was cracking up.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5555

JBoard posted:

1 Marie Kondo
2 Wolf
3 Epidermis
4 Stamp Act
5 Johannes Gutenberg
6 Baltic Sea
7 Anne (Princess Royal)
8 Mahatma
9 The Lottery
10 Thomas E. Dewey
11 Jordan Peele
12 Idi Amin
13 Mixologist
14 Aslan
15 The Philippines
16 Toxicology
17 Wyeth
18 "American Pie"
19 Jennifer Aniston
20 Joseph Conrad
21 Bergen
22 Hasbro
23 Afghanistan
24 Mulan
25 Glasnost
26 Daniel Day-Lewis Carroll
27 the breach
28 Ulna
29 Mozzarella
30 Tallahassee
31 Barber
32 Black Widow
33 Coins
34 William I (the Conqueror)
35 Toni Morrison
36 velociraptor
37 cold cream
38 Boeing 747
39 Mercury
40 Sheba
41 Mexico City
42 Dick Cheney
43 habitat
44 Yellow
45 Samuel Taylor Coleridge
46 Jean Sibelius
47 Primates
48 bony pony
49 Aaron Sorkin
50 Candy Crush Saga

I got either 42 or 43, can't quite recall. What was the American Pie question again?

E: NVM, it was about the song, not the movie. Hopefully 43 is enough for an audition, fingers crossed. Missed on Wyeth, Hasbro, Afghanistan, cold cream, coleridge, bony pony, and Sorkin.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 30, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got 30 :shrug:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Albino Squirrel posted:

E: NVM, it was about the song, not the movie. Hopefully 43 is enough for an audition, fingers crossed. Missed on Wyeth, Hasbro, Afghanistan, cold cream, coleridge, bony pony, and Sorkin.
43 crew represent, though I was Bergen, Afghanistan, Willam, Cold Cream, Primates, Habitat, Seibelius. I thought 40 was the mythical threshold, but I've met that at least three times before without luck (and maybe an email years ago that got marked spam in error :arghfist:).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
The first rule of Trivia Club is that Finnish composers are always Sibelius.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dumb thing I've always wondered: when you actually go on the show do they explicitly prohibit nonstandard forms of question-responses e.g. "Is it ___?" or "How about ___?"

Albino Squirrel posted:

The first rule of Trivia Club is that Finnish composers are always Sibelius.
Yeah I watched the Youtube of the second test and on that one was like "I know I've memorized 'Finnish composer' and it's the same surname as a recent Cabinet member..."

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I've heard it just has to be a question. I know they accepted something like "Would THAT be X?" (After the contestant has incorrectly guessed X on another question a minute earlier.)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Struggled with tonight's test. Had to leave 7 of them blank and I thought of the answer to one of them immediately after submitting a desperation answer.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is all i'm gonna say about my test tonight:

"i have the audition info for supermarket sweep. perhaps you'd be good at that one."

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 31, 2020

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I took tonight's test. I drew some complete blanks and felt like I did poorly, but scoring myself after the fact it looks like I got 39. It may even be 40 if they give me credit for butchering the spelling of Frida Kahlo's last name as Callo (I would have gotten it right on the show, at least).

Here's hoping for a second in-person audition!

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

37. If I had had 4 more seconds on a few of em I could have made it 40 or 41. gently caress you jade blade.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oof, final from the other night would have been a disaster for me. Usually Oscar categories are very strong for me....not exactly one of my "wager everything no matter what the score is" like physics or astronomy, but I'd definitely have bet big and then drew a complete blank.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
My scores from this week's online tests (doing the second and third on YouTube) were 42, 40 and 41. But I also did one of last year's tests this same week and got like 30. I think the pool is going to be way bigger this year unless they raise the standard to be considered.

Every time I know the answer to a question I feel like I got really lucky and it's the only question I could have answered.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Oof, final from the other night would have been a disaster for me. Usually Oscar categories are very strong for me....not exactly one of my "wager everything no matter what the score is" like physics or astronomy, but I'd definitely have bet big and then drew a complete blank.

I would've wagered everything....and lost.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

There was some whack-rear end gameplay on today's show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Timby posted:

There was some whack-rear end gameplay on today's show.

Can I change my wager?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Can I change my wager?

That was potentially the most awkward Daily Double in history.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Can I change my wager?

Man, I thought that was really funny.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Man, I thought that was really funny.

I think it would have been funny if she didn't seem serious. Best if that had been her answer (it's even in the form of a question already!).

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
funny enough i scored my all time highest on a J6 binge (41/60) and completely tanked the jeopardy test.

this is a world of contrasts, and while i don't think i'll ever be a contestant on jeopardy, i still enjoy watching it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Good game tonight, did not like the guy leading after DJ cause he was wiggling around in this weird way every time he answered and the guy who won deserved it for being the only one to get what I thought was a mad easy FJ right -- I could imagine getting stuck trying to come up with a natural geographic feature just on the category but "created in 1953" really should point you toward three choices.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Good game tonight, did not like the guy leading after DJ cause he was wiggling around in this weird way every time he answered and the guy who won deserved it for being the only one to get what I thought was a mad easy FJ right -- I could imagine getting stuck trying to come up with a natural geographic feature just on the category but "created in 1953" really should point you toward three choices.
Can someone make a GIF of that guy?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I thought that "paradoxus" was the biggest hint, because a platypus looks like a paradox being a mammal with an obvious bird face, yet we got kiwi and kangaroo out of the others :psyduck:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought that "paradoxus" was the biggest hint, because a platypus looks like a paradox being a mammal with an obvious bird face, yet we got kiwi and kangaroo out of the others :psyduck:

My wife and I have an off and on habit of yelling out what our guess is before the clue is read. I saw “mammals” and immediately yelled Platypus. Feels good man.

We’ll do it for some of regular jeopardy too, it’s honestly a fun way of trying to prep your brain to what kind of answers to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Land snails :kimchi: