Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

now i'm planning a heist and nothing i've read about on the internet has prepared me for this, you motherfuckers the game's 4 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cowcaster posted:

now i'm planning a heist and nothing i've read about on the internet has prepared me for this, you motherfuckers the game's 4 years old

Do you want to be subtle or loud when getting in the vault door? If loud visit the dwarf, if quiet visit the human.
Go and see the halfling break in artist first too.
Heist is fun.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i got the human because i wanted to be subtle but i ended up gibbing both brothers so what the gently caress

this game is so great because i feel like i did the right thing and both brothers sucked poo poo

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I usually end up killing them both too, because they are both terrible people. Everyone, except Shani, is some shade of terrible in this.

Fulfilling the 3rd wish is a great quest and has 3 excellent boss fights in it. Just great all round.
In fact Hearts of Stone is just excellent all round.
My favourite moment was at the end of the first boss fight in the 3rd task where I went “What the gently caress?” at the exact same moment that Geralt did in the game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Oh god, I had to look up what you meant. I forgot about that fight. That was the scariest boss fight in the game. The whole quest is so atmospheric.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's the worst quest in W3?

Extreme Cosplay where you are immediately assaulted by half a dozen high-level dudes with ranged attacks. Never beat it.

The Card Tournament where you are forced to win that loving hard fist-fight with that racist paradox.

Playing the Crone fight on the harder difficulties.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's the worst quest in W3?

Extreme Cosplay where you are immediately assaulted by half a dozen high-level dudes with ranged attacks. Never beat it.

The Card Tournament where you are forced to win that loving hard fist-fight with that racist paradox.

Playing the Crone fight on the harder difficulties.

Some of the contracts are a bit formulaic and unexciting, but that's partly because I've done all of them a couple times before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Morkvarg wins for being the most irritating quest in the game. The crone fight is frustrating because Ciri hasn't gone full Devil May Cry yet and they operate on a 2-hit KO.

But Morkvarg? It takes forever and he is easily the most annoying character in the game. If you lift the curse he's even more obnoxious than he was as a wolf

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Morkvarg wins for being the most irritating quest in the game. The crone fight is frustrating because Ciri hasn't gone full Devil May Cry yet and they operate on a 2-hit KO.

But Morkvarg? It takes forever and he is easily the most annoying character in the game. If you lift the curse he's even more obnoxious than he was as a wolf

Agree with this. Morkvarg was the next to last quest I did in the entire game and all the runbacks, getting out of that loving garden, pulling switches. It just sucks. At least you can still kill him if you lift the curse.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Morkvarg's area is an okay puzzle the first time around but yeah it can be a bit annoying.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Where the new Assassin's Creed games fall down in comparison is that they rely far two heavily on the amount of question-marks. Skellige aside, you'll breeze through all the open-world fluff in a handful of hours in W3 while the real meat is the questing. Whereas in AC those question marks ARE the game and they are copy-pasted to a breaking-point.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
What are you talking about eyck the dragons clearly not evil eyck we dont have to kill it

Eyck where are you going why are you taking your ball and loving off home

Eyck you were my win button jesus christ you uptight chivalric gently caress

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone have a gif of Geralt catching a bag of coins after finishing a contract? I can't remember which contract it is but it's one where Geralt gets pissed off at the contract giver. I know, that narrows it down so much.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone have a gif of Geralt catching a bag of coins after finishing a contract? I can't remember which contract it is but it's one where Geralt gets pissed off at the contract giver. I know, that narrows it down so much.

The Nilfgaardian commander in White Orchard?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Helith posted:

The Nilfgaardian commander in White Orchard?

No, I thought it was that one at first but if you accept the coin Geralt just takes it from Gwynleve's hands. I think it's either in Skellige or Novigrad.

EDIT: I found it. It's the ending of "In the Heart of the Woods" where you help Sven by killing the Leshen and he tosses you a bag of gold. Actually the elder tosses you the gold in the alternate ending as well, but Geralt doesn't have the same annoyed look on his face.

EDIT EDIT: Toss a coin to your Witcher.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 2, 2020

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

There’s several quests where he gets tossed a bag of coin and catches it like that.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Way cooler then the handoff just out of frame because animation is hard.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The facial animations in this game are so fucken good.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Oh. Oh no, that's now how Blood & Wine was supposed to end at all.

Both sisters died.

:smith:

motoh fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 3, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

motoh posted:

Oh. Oh no, that's now how Blood & Wine was supposed to end at all.

Both sisters died.

:smith:

There is no "wrong" ending to any of the game's stories. Even the "bad" endings are really good pieces of storytelling.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
I know, I'm just terribly sad at the outcome for my efforts. It was a great story, just I was invested in stabilizing the situation and was actually hoping I was going to turn it out better. Ah well, another try, another time!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
This is the witcher, its not going to get better. Thinking the opposite led me to trusting an evil tree.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not that things don't get better, it's that you can't know what your actions or inactions will cause, and you have to find a way to live with the results.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

This is the witcher, its not going to get better. Thinking the opposite led me to trusting an evil tree.

Its actually unclear how evil the evil tree is.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Blood and Wine is like the one place in the Witcher where you can get a fairytale ‘Happy Ever After’ ending though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Eau de MacGowan posted:

As long as you do it before meeting a certain godling you made the right choice

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Its actually unclear how evil the evil tree is.

It's somewhere on the spectrum of evil.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arglebargle III posted:

It's somewhere on the spectrum of evil.

It let the children go, it's aight by me.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah I let the evil tree spirit go for 2 reasons:

loving crones don’t tell me what to do.

The immediate outcome is IMO preferable to the alternative (slaying it).

The bothersome part is the unknown entity of the spirit and what it can do in the future. But, a problem for another day.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
There are a lot of different flavors of evil in W3. Bloody Baron, the Crones, the tree spirit, Menge, Radovid, Ymlerith, Gaunter O'Dimm etc all have their own motivations and are evil in different ways. O'Dimm, for example, is Irish.

I think the tree spirit is some sort of ancient force of nature. Sort of like a leshen. Are leshen evil, or are they primordial guardian spirits of the woods? They're not good or benevolent but I'd argue they're not truly evil either. The main motivations of the tree spirit seem to be freedom and revenge.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i may not have gone to witcher school but something that has glowing red eyes is definitely up to something

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fritz the Horse posted:

There are a lot of different flavors of evil in W3. Bloody Baron, the Crones, the tree spirit, Menge, Radovid, Ymlerith, Gaunter O'Dimm etc all have their own motivations and are evil in different ways. O'Dimm, for example, is Irish.

I guess I got lucky that the Irish people I know show no interest in fulfilling my wishes in exchange for my soul and drawing up impossible contracts while being pedantic about wording.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

Helith posted:

Blood and Wine is like the one place in the Witcher where you can get a fairytale ‘Happy Ever After’ ending though.

Not for my best buddy Regis though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, are there any must-see quests in Skellige? I'm worried I'm gonna burn out on this game and I'm kinda thinking about pushing through to the ending. I'm doing the Lambert quest that ends up out here, and I already did the Yennefer quest. I kinda want to see what happens with these Irish viking people but I want to make sure I finish the game. I also did the Practicum Alchemy quest for the rear end in a top hat druid and he didn't sell the White Gull recipe, so I guess I'm just hosed?

Although trying to beeline stuff is hard in this game -- I stumbled across a village with a really shifty guy that said nekkers attacked his mate on the road, and then it turned out to be Endragas?? but there were a ton of them and they were way over my level so I'll have to come back or Youtube it or something because I wanna know why he's so shifty. Or there's a random house that I check out because what's it doing out here? And there's a minor quest or a treasure chest nearby I need to find. Everywhere I go there's something that pulls me off track.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The first ten levels of the game never felt right. It's difficult to tell where on Velen to start exploring as you may run into foes five levels higher, and outside of the odd moonblade it's difficult to upgrade your silver sword.

AC may have been more gamey by strictly dividing the world into leveled regions, but I did appreciate the option to upgrade old equipment.

Who else has tried to get every quest done in Act 1 before Kaer Morhen? I appreciate RPGs that frontloads all the side-content at the start, so you end up spending 80% of your time in chapter 2 of BG2.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Fritz the Horse posted:

This is very funny and I want it noted.

EDIT: Unrelated; We are at the part of the great thread cycle where people will justify infanticide.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Does that mean we're due some Gaetan apologism?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

SirSamVimes posted:

Does that mean we're due some Gaetan apologism?

two more pages

actually, let's disrupt the cycle

y'all i've decided triss is best, prove me wrong

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Dude, Shani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Helith posted:

Dude, Shani.

Yep.
Also, was the baron a good or bad man who deserved his fate?

Here is my in-depth analysis in video form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkODKl7jOrE