Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Beccara posted:

Measels fatality rate is 0.2% or 10x-20x less than this bug. Smallpox and Plague aren't really that bad in modern times, We've had small modern outbreaks of plague that haven't killed us all and Smallpox killed 15-20k people over the whole of the 20th century

Jesus christ give smallpox some credit. 300 million and was eraficated in the 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Hospitals, in china or otherwise, are stretched thin even by a bad flu year. If it can't be contained the same thing will occur overseas.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Another thing to consider, which you all HAVE been considering, but just to reiterate how interconnected our world is. In 1918, Americans didn't depend on China for too much. 100 years later we're China's bitch. No we may not all die, but 10 years with an economy like 2007-2009 you may wish you were dead.

With reports about shipments being delayed and issues with fulfilling orders because of the quarantines, this is the more interesting thing.

Also I have ordered a mask off Amazon for my flight.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

NYTimes uses the "p" word (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/health/coronavirus-pandemic-china.html)

quote:

The Wuhan coronavirus is spreading more like influenza, which is highly transmissible, than like its slow-moving viral cousins, SARS and MERS, scientists have found.

“It’s very, very transmissible, and it almost certainly is going to be a pandemic,” said Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.

“But will it be catastrophic? I don’t know.”

quote:

The biggest uncertainty now, experts said, is how many people around the world will die. SARS killed about 10 percent of those who got it, and MERS now kills about one of three.

The 1918 “Spanish flu” killed only about 2.5 percent of its victims — but because it infected so many people and medical care was much cruder then, 20 to 50 million died.

By contrast, the highly transmissible H1N1 “swine flu” pandemic of 2009 killed about 285,000, fewer than seasonal flu normally does, and had a relatively low fatality rate, estimated at .02 percent.

The mortality rate for known cases of the Wuhan coronavirus has been running about 2 percent, although that is likely to drop as more tests are done and more mild cases are found.
It is “increasingly unlikely that the virus can be contained,” said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who now runs Resolve to Save Lives, a nonprofit devoted to fighting epidemics.

“It is therefore likely that it will spread, as flu and other organisms do, but we still don’t know how far, wide or deadly it will be.”

In the early days of the 2009 flu pandemic, “they were talking about Armageddon in Mexico,” Dr. Fauci said. (That virus first emerged in pig-farming areas in Mexico’s Veracruz State.) “But it turned out to not be that severe.”

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

poeticoddity posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the first human to human case in the US was confirmed several days ago in Chicago.

Yeah you know I think you are right. I was just quoting the news blurb.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

UnknownTarget posted:

So I've got a business trip to LA next month. Wash hands, wear a mask, don't touch my face. Any other suggestions?

Transmission through the eyes is a thing.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

Despera posted:

Jesus christ give smallpox some credit. 300 million and was eraficated in the 70s

Yeah my bad got my numbers wrong there, was only looking at pandemic level clusters

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/status/1224169966968221696

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

this is wrong, the Spanish Flu killed 2.5% of all people, not 2.5% of the infected

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is also annoying because they never give a drat time table.

When did he land? When did he present?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Smallpox was so terrible people would prefer the vaccine with a 3% death rate

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eVwqIDS_iA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Spanish Flu was also bad timing since Europe was such a mess due to WWI

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Beccara posted:

Yep, Even swine flu killed 400k at the top end. Ebola's killed more than SARS/MERS and so far this bug. Nobody blinked when 2000 died in 2015 with the swine flu in India

edit:// People don't understand that the more contagious/widespread a virus is the less likely it is to kill you, Killing the host is not helpful to the virus so in reality if anything really deadly isn't near me i'm fine and if something really contagious isn't near me then chances are i wont die

the plague understander has logged on

viruses are definitely conscious things that get together to make sure they don’t kill to many humans because that would ruin it for all of them

these types of outbreaks are deadly because what may just be a normal parasitic infection for a cow or pig can be something that kills the gently caress out of a human. that’s why these nasty ones always come from a different species where the virus mutated and hopped

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the plague understander has logged on

viruses are definitely conscious things that get together to make sure they don’t kill to many humans because that would ruin it for all of them

these types of outbreaks are deadly because what may just be a normal parasitic infection for a cow or pig can be something that kills the gently caress out of a human. that’s why these nasty ones always come from a different species where the virus mutated and hopped

There is definitely negative selection that occurs for viruses that are too good at killing. That's why Ebola always burns itself out and can't become endemic.

Many zoonotic viruses are just as pathogenic in their reservoir species as in humans. Highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) kills a fuckton of the birds it infects and kills humans dead too. That one freaks scientists our a lot more than coronavirus since it's guaranteed to be a major disaster if it becomes adept at human-to-human transmission. Most epidemiologists think it's a matter of if, not when, we have an HPAI pandemic. The Spanish Influenza also came from an avian reservoir.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Beccara posted:

Measels fatality rate is 0.2% or 10x-20x less than this bug. Smallpox and Plague aren't really that bad in modern times, We've had small modern outbreaks of plague that haven't killed us all and Smallpox killed 15-20k people over the whole of the 20th century

Measles fatality rate is that low because of modern medical care. Even as recently as 1980 it killed more than 2 million people in one year. There's also the issue of evolution, both of the virus to be less dangerous to its hosts and by the hosts to be more resistant to the virus. Whenever measles encountered a new population it wiped out a third of them or more.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Measles fatality rate is that low because of modern medical care. Even as recently as 1980 it killed more than 2 million people in one year. There's also the issue of evolution, both of the virus to be less dangerous to its hosts and by the hosts to be more resistant to the virus. Whenever measles encountered a new population it wiped out a third of them or more.

0.2% is being quote from USA stats 85-92. I can't find anything to suggest 2million people died from measles in the 80's, The WHO offical stats put global cases at 4million in 1980 and decreasing from there and it didn't have a 50% fatality rate even back then.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

SchrodingersCat posted:

There is definitely negative selection that occurs for viruses that are too good at killing. That's why Ebola always burns itself out and can't become endemic.

Many zoonotic viruses are just as pathogenic in their reservoir species as in humans. Highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) kills a fuckton of the birds it infects and kills humans dead too. That one freaks scientists our a lot more than coronavirus since it's guaranteed to be a major disaster if it becomes adept at human-to-human transmission. Most epidemiologists think it's a matter of if, not when, we have an HPAI pandemic. The Spanish Influenza also came from an avian reservoir.

Yeah, I mean I know goons lust for the apocalypse but just wait until the next time brid flu or even a swine flu kicks in. Outside of China this thing hasn't even hit 200 cases yet and we're seeing patients treated and released. It's a serious illness but measures so far are showing to be effective. It's possible that the side effects of the panic are going to kill more people outside of China than this bug will

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Beccara posted:

Yeah, I mean I know goons lust for the apocalypse but just wait until the next time brid flu or even a swine flu kicks in. Outside of China this thing hasn't even hit 200 cases yet and we're seeing patients treated and released. It's a serious illness but measures so far are showing to be effective. It's possible that the side effects of the panic are going to kill more people outside of China than this bug will

This stuff also mutates, it's why it's a thing to begin with. Once it's in the human population and has infected enough people it could mutate into something worse.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Beccara posted:

Two weeks without symptoms and still communicable is scary

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

SchrodingersCat posted:

If a virus on the level of the Spanish Influenza came into being today, it would be just as devastating since it would still take probably a year to develop and produce enough vaccine. The 1918 pandemic killed 25 million people in its first 25 weeks when the second wave hit.

It absolutely would not be as devastating. The world, medicine, and the ability to isolate victims is orders of magnitude more advanced. You'd have a bad initial outbreak and then it would be over. Swine Flu would probably end up being worse simply because it's low fatality rate meant people didn't spring into action like they would with a serious flu and it spread far and wide.

SchrodingersCat posted:

This virus won't be the "end of the world" but it has a pretty decent shot at killing a lot of people.

If you mean around 1000 people then yeah, a lot.....I guess

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s already over 1000 friend.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
quarantines only work if you know who has it

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Beccara posted:

0.2% is being quote from USA stats 85-92. I can't find anything to suggest 2million people died from measles in the 80's, The WHO offical stats put global cases at 4million in 1980 and decreasing from there and it didn't have a 50% fatality rate even back then.

Seems I was off a bit, it was killing 2.6 million a year before 1963, and killing as many as half a million as late as 2000.
https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/measles

quote:

Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus. Before the introduction of measles vaccine in 1963 and widespread vaccination, major epidemics occurred approximately every 2–3 years and measles caused an estimated 2.6 million deaths each year.

More than 140 000 people died from measles in 2018 – mostly children under the age of 5 years, despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine.

Measles is caused by a virus in the paramyxovirus family and it is normally passed through direct contact and through the air. The virus infects the respiratory tract, then spreads throughout the body. Measles is a human disease and is not known to occur in animals.

Accelerated immunization activities have had a major impact on reducing measles deaths. During 2000– 2018, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 23.2 million deaths. Global measles deaths have decreased by 73% from an estimated 536 000 in 2000* to 142,000 in 2018.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Seems I was off a bit, it was killing 2.6 million a year before 1963, and killing as many as half a million as late as 2000.
https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/measles

Sweet as, Yeah my memory is off a bit too I could have sworn Smallpox and Plauge were mainly resolved by the end of 19th century but lol nope!

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

It’s already over 1000 friend.

No it's 360.

Couple of weeks and the news cycle will have moved on and no one will remember how not close we came to 50 million dead

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 3, 2020

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
How much did mortality rates for infectious disease decrease post germ theory but pre widespread immunizations?

Still boggles my mind that, given the complications, my wife would have absolutely died during childbirth in another era.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/MackayIM/status/1224192660916731904

:barf:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Illuminti posted:

No it's 360.

Couple of weeks and the news cycle will have moved on and no one will remember how not close we came to 50 million dead

It’s nice you believe that’s the real number.

I’m currently waiting to take off on an Eva airlines flight from LA to Taipei.

90+% of the passengers are wearing masks. Everyone I’ve seen has Clorox or some other type of wipe and is wiping everything down.

All of the flight crew have masks on.

RIP me because I’m not planning on putting my mask on till I land and transfer haha.

There’s a few other dumbass white people like me not wearing masks though.

Edit: Quite a few people are wearing safety glasses too lol

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah China has even said they're only counting ncov deaths if they were tested for it and in the hospital before they died. They have also always considered flu deaths differently than rest of world in a similar fashion too

ofc no one can Internet Statistic Hero themselves a number out of the air, all that's certain is it's a lot more

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

Yeah China has even said they're only counting ncov deaths if they were tested for it and in the hospital before they died. They have also always considered flu deaths differently than rest of world in a similar fashion too

ofc no one can Internet Statistic Hero themselves a number out of the air, all that's certain is it's a lot more

I’m not gonna be all like lol it’s in the millions or even 10s of thousands but it’s most certainly over 1,000.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Sorry mate, the discussion for internet experts who think they know things they obviously don't is that way ------> reddit

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I gotta stop reading news about this

quote:

Last month, the government put Wuhan in a virtual lockdown, sealing off the city and banning most public transportation and private cars from its streets in a desperate effort to contain the outbreak. Now, many residents say it is nearly impossible to get the health care they need to treat — or even diagnose — the coronavirus.

Expressing exasperation, doctors say there is a shortage of testing kits and other medical supplies, and it is not clear why more are not available. The ban on transportation means some residents have to walk for hours to get to hospitals — if they are well enough to make the journey. Layers of bureaucracy stand between residents and help. And the long lines outside hospitals for testing and treatment suggest that the outbreak is spreading far beyond the official count of cases.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/world/asia/china-coronavirus-wuhan.html?action=click&module=MoreIn&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

e:

quote:

For some people, like Gan Hanjiang, the new hospitals cannot be built fast enough.

Last month, his father came down with a severe fever and cough. He was tested for the coronavirus, but the results were negative. Ten days after the onset of symptoms, however, his father died, Mr. Gan said.

The hospital classified the cause as “severe pneumonia,” Mr. Gan said, but he believes it was the coronavirus. Several experts have recently conceded that several rounds of testing may be needed for an accurate diagnosis of the virus.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 3, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

salt shakeup posted:

Sorry mate, the discussion for internet experts who think they know things they obviously don't is that way ------> the entire internet

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I’m currently waiting to take off on an Eva airlines flight from LA to Taipei.

90+% of the passengers are wearing masks. Everyone I’ve seen has Clorox or some other type of wipe and is wiping everything down.

All of the flight crew have masks on.

RIP me because I’m not planning on putting my mask on till I land and transfer haha.

There’s a few other dumbass white people like me not wearing masks though.

Edit: Quite a few people are wearing safety glasses too lol

Right, so quite nearly everyone (except you) in a vaguely dangerous area is taking all the precautions that no one did in say 1918. The number of dead is almost definitely higher, but this virus could already be peaking. Especially outside China

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Illuminti posted:

Right, so quite nearly everyone (except you) in a vaguely dangerous area is taking all the precautions that no one did in say 1918. The number of dead is almost definitely higher, but this virus could already be peaking. Especially outside China

Right

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1224223565177917440

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
so
  • china doesn't have a loving clue whether they can reliably screen for corona
  • they arent providing the medical community in the red zone with enough kits anyway
  • if you get from corona and get run over by a truck after you fainted in the street you're counted as roadkill

?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

so

• if you get from corona and get run over by a truck after you fainted in the street you're counted as roadkill

?

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1177725.shtml

That's what they do for the flu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Illuminti posted:

It'd be really cool if the numbers could stop growing exponentially