Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Megillah Gorilla posted:

To go back to kitchens for a second, this one belonged to Monet.

I would never choose those colours to go together for my kitchen, but they really work. Even the mirror finish ceiling.

But what I really love is the stove:

You could cook the entire world on that thing.

FAKE EDIT:

Also, dining room with Japanese prints.

Killerrrr colors in both god even the ceiling looks like one of his paintings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

luxury handset posted:

-beneath the patio was a strange bricked closet area. the bricks were spaced apart far enough to still serve as a structural support while allowing light and air to pass through, like a brick cage almost. this area also had a door which latched from the inside, and also a spigot and outlet. maybe innocent but i'm not trusting it. used as garden storage now

Sounds like a root cellar or place for drying fish/meat.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
yeah, you're supposed to store vegetables in the upturned skulls

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

To go back to kitchens for a second, this one belonged to Monet.

I would never choose those colours to go together for my kitchen, but they really work. Even the mirror finish ceiling.

It's pretty close to what I'm doing in my kitchen so I'm on board. You always hear about Monet's garden, for good reason because they are stunning, but that house is incredible. Something to aspire to.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

luxury handset posted:

-beneath the patio was a strange bricked closet area. the bricks were spaced apart far enough to still serve as a structural support while allowing light and air to pass through, like a brick cage almost. this area also had a door which latched from the inside, and also a spigot and outlet. maybe innocent but i'm not trusting it. used as garden storage now

Brick glory hole closet. Swanky. Just make sure that when you stick it through, there are no cracks in the immediate vicinity.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

plx of spooky house

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

His Divine Shadow posted:

Doesn't look outdated to me, except style-wise. Seems like it has got all the modern conveniences. An oven, microwave, hot plates, stainless steel sinks, even one of those hand held shower heads, we don't have one of those and our kitchen was built in 2013.

I guess nothing is hooked up to the internet though and can't be bricked by the manufacturer, sad.

edit:
Or maybe you where only referring to the victorian kitchen, but it kinda felt you included this kitchen in that description too.

Well yeah I meant style. Layout, appliances, cabinet colors.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Doesn't look outdated to me, except style-wise. Seems like it has got all the modern conveniences. An oven, microwave, hot plates, stainless steel sinks, even one of those hand held shower heads, we don't have one of those and our kitchen was built in 2013.

I guess nothing is hooked up to the internet though and can't be bricked by the manufacturer, sad.

edit:
Or maybe you where only referring to the victorian kitchen, but it kinda felt you included this kitchen in that description too.

I mean yeah style wise. Appliances, cabinet colors, the linoleum floor. I wouldn’t trust the appliances in a flipped house so I’m fine with old (so I could replace them myself).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

Sounds like a root cellar or place for drying fish/meat.

plausible, but this house is in an intown area with a lot of ambient critters and the walls would definitely not keep them out. also the rest of the house had a real sex creep vibe so the owners just figured the underporch shed room was also some kind of kink zone

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cute house, CURSED TILE

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Lakeland/601-Galvin-Dr-33801/home/46200490

"Now George, the brimstone look might be a bit much. Are you sure we should tile the entire downstai.."
"drat IT CARLA cant a man worship the lord Satan in his own way without CONSTANT CEASELESS NAGGING."

Super cute house and property though. Wanna party on that roof deck. The Redfin offerings are hilarious today.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lakeland, more like leakland

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The rooftop deck is just a boat launching pad for when the surrounding swampland engulfs that mess

e: or a Demi-consumption by a portal to hell it and you row the river styx as a lake of fire

Suspect Bucket posted:

Super cute house and property though.

pls use your /s tags tia

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You'll never guess what's behind the other doors!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Megillah Gorilla posted:

:eyepop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Three more toilets.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Not enough room between the door and toilet so you have to wrap your legs around the drain

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

Not enough room between the door and toilet so you have to wrap your legs around the drain

You wrap them around the cistern though :confused:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cute house, CURSED TILE

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Lakeland/601-Galvin-Dr-33801/home/46200490

"Now George, the brimstone look might be a bit much. Are you sure we should tile the entire downstai.."
"drat IT CARLA cant a man worship the lord Satan in his own way without CONSTANT CEASELESS NAGGING."

Super cute house and property though. Wanna party on that roof deck. The Redfin offerings are hilarious today.

I'm kinda impressed that they'd put that much tile down in a swampy area without the least worry of the slab moving (and breaking the tile) That must be a hella well poured slab is what I'm saying, which bodes well for the overall construction of the rest of the house...until the Flood, obviously.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jerry Cotton posted:

Three more toilets.

Three toilets in a trenchcoat

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Three more toilets.

Who got trapped their by a beautiful woman they had all attempted to extort for sex.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Where does one buy a wood mantle? I need an unadorned, clean, simple piece. Something along these lines.
https://imgur.com/a/6mb1LOK

Those living edge pieces that are basically a statement piece are beautiful but I'm sure a magnitude more than I want to spend. I was hoping for like, $200 or less.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Where does one buy a wood mantle? I need an unadorned, clean, simple piece. Something along these lines.
https://imgur.com/a/6mb1LOK

Those living edge pieces that are basically a statement piece are beautiful but I'm sure a magnitude more than I want to spend. I was hoping for like, $200 or less.

A sawmill, woodworker, reclaimed lumber shop, etc...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Where are you? Someone may be able to give specific advice.

Probably the most sure fire way is to make it yourself, though. I did that for my basement fireplace, it would have cost like $600 to get one like what I wanted (similar to your pic but walnut) and instead I sourced the chunk of wood for about $100 and spent an hour shaping it to what I wanted and another hour putting the finish on. Turned out great.

In this case, I sourced it from a home improvement guy who does a ton of woodworking and works directly with a few saw mills, so he sells smaller chunks like that out of his shop and since it wasn’t trued up or anything, it was more just the raw cost of that volume of wood. Networking was key here.

e:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 2, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bad Munki posted:

Where are you? Someone may be able to give specific advice.

Probably the most sure fire way is to make it yourself, though. I did that for my basement fireplace, it would have cost like $600 to get one like what I wanted (similar to your pic but walnut) and instead I sourced the chunk of wood for about $100 and spent an hour shaping it to what I wanted and another hour putting the finish on. Turned out great.

In this case, I sourced it from a home improvement guy who does a ton of woodworking and works directly with a few saw mills, so he sells smaller chunks like that out of his shop and since it wasn’t trued up or anything, it was more just the raw cost of that volume of wood. Networking was key here.

e:

Is that a hollow box you hung on some framing coming out of the wall? How is it hung?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s solid walnut. There are two vertical steel straps (I say strap but they’re like 3/16” thick) screwed onto the back of the wood. Then, they put up the lathe and mortar, and while it was wet, screwed through the straps into the wall. Then they just put the stone right over it all. Super fuckin solid, which I verified by trying to stand up under the mantel once. drat near knocked me unconscious.

This was the only installation pic I could find that shows the attachment pieces. They’re flush with the base layer because we installed it while it was wet, so they sank in a little.

There’s 3/4” OSB under that base layer, that’s what the straps are screwed into.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 2, 2020

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
So I bought my first house, a cute but dated 1961 ranch devoid of anything of architectural interest or mid-century charm. The kitchen felt too small for 2 people, which ended up mostly being the fault of the giant fridge in the middle of the room. How did the previous owners live like this for 40+ years??

I've been Pinteresting (sorry) and painstakingly planning a full house color palette for the better part of a year, and finally pulled the trigger on hiring painters and going broke buying new appliances. This is my attempt at mcm/eclectic.

Before:

After:

I still need to replace the light fixtures and blinds, but haven't decided on new ones yet.

But question... WHAT do I do with this space now?

The upper cabinets on that wall are definitely coming down. I'm thinking shelving or a kitchen cart/bakers rack type thing would be nice, but all the ones I can find are hideous or don't match well thematically.

Side note: You may notice the terrible condition of the floor in the "after" shot. The contractors I hired to paint and put in the appliances did an amazing job; the very final step (hauling out old fridge) involved a junk hauler dragging the fridge across my floor. They are now paying for a new floor. Does it ever end???

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I had a nightmare ordeal with my first refrigerator when I bought my home. I bought a Kenmore branded Frgidaire (i think?) french door fridge that was an absolute lemon. (gently caress Sears)

After an ordeal of service visits, and a fridge that wouldn't get below 45 deg F, I eventually was able to negotiate returning the fridge for a full refund and then buying a new one. (Still Kenmore, but now a Whirlpool side-by-side that has been pain-free.)

Anyway, when they deliver the fridges, the doors are not installed, and after taking some measurements there was only one path into the kitchen to remove or install the fridges. As I'm trying to explain this to the guys taking the old fridge back, they brush me off and say they can do it without removing the doors. Of course, they gouge the poo poo out of the newly redone drywall texture (which I also hate).

Only after damaging it did they decide they needed to take the doors off.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Shuu posted:

The upper cabinets on that wall are definitely coming down. I'm thinking shelving or a kitchen cart/bakers rack type thing would be nice, but all the ones I can find are hideous or don't match well thematically.

Side note: You may notice the terrible condition of the floor in the "after" shot. The contractors I hired to paint and put in the appliances did an amazing job; the very final step (hauling out old fridge) involved a junk hauler dragging the fridge across my floor. They are now paying for a new floor. Does it ever end???

That looks great. I like the combo of the dark blue cabinets and that floral wallpaper in the next room.

That's the old fridge hole? Looks like a good spot for extra storage, some more counter space, a small breakfast table, a bar, a chest freezer, or anything else you need/want in a cooking space.

Since you mentioned storage specifically and you're taking those cabinets out, how about a more decorative hutch/china cabinet in natural wood to contrast with the plane cabinets?

Random one since I don't know your specific tastes. Or you could go with a buffet and hang a picture over it if you don't want a display area. The other idea would be to go with ceiling to floor cabinets if you're really hard up for storage.

Or! Wildcard option- Don't go with an MCM piece. Pick something simple from an more ornate style to really contrast against the modern kitchen, the way the floral wallpaper does in the other room. Something Victorian because of said floral.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 2, 2020

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Or a combination of display storage above, shallow desk with opaque-door side cabinets below.

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
^^ I like the idea of a buffet/cabinet below and shelves above. The kitchenaid mixer needs a home that isn't my little coffee bar, and it's too tall to fit under my cabinets. So that would be perfect.

MetaJew posted:

I had a nightmare ordeal with my first refrigerator when I bought my home. I bought a Kenmore branded Frgidaire (i think?) french door fridge that was an absolute lemon. (gently caress Sears)

After an ordeal of service visits, and a fridge that wouldn't get below 45 deg F, I eventually was able to negotiate returning the fridge for a full refund and then buying a new one. (Still Kenmore, but now a Whirlpool side-by-side that has been pain-free.)

Anyway, when they deliver the fridges, the doors are not installed, and after taking some measurements there was only one path into the kitchen to remove or install the fridges. As I'm trying to explain this to the guys taking the old fridge back, they brush me off and say they can do it without removing the doors. Of course, they gouge the poo poo out of the newly redone drywall texture (which I also hate).

Only after damaging it did they decide they needed to take the doors off.

Ugh, infuriating. I am less mad about my floors (tbh they are lovely laminate that needs to go anyways), and more mad about how avoidable the whole situation was. Like seriously - remove the doors. Measure. Use a dolly. All of these super basic things that at worst cost you an extra minute, and at best don't damage someone's house. I was also SO ready to be done with contractors being in my house between this, a bunch of other mini-reno projects, and some major electrical work.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Shuu posted:

But question... WHAT do I do with this space now?

It's lovely! Fantastic job. I'd be looking at some kind of shallow pantry cabinet. You can never have enough. storage.https://www.sauder.com/furniture/419636/storage-cabinet. Or perhaps a buffet that doubles as another prep area and storage. Toooons of old buffets for sale, you would be able to dig up someone selling one locally. Then hang some shelves or new matching cabinets overhead if you need MORE STORAGE.

edit: oh hey you already like that second idea. Thanks mobile, way to not update.

Swap out the hardware for something that matches, and I think you are golden.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 2, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

What’s the thread consensus on mid century modern. Stylish or played out?

I've got a place that was built in 1959 built in that style so I want to do our lounge/dining room in a mid-century modern theme. Way I figure it will either be trendy, or as we're buying stuff it will be going out of fashion and make it cheaper to get stuff.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
smeg fridge owns

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Found this in the cursed images thread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've just spent the past couple of months binge reading this entire thread from start to finish. It was an excellent read, although the BeatsmasterJ saga was a tad tiresome. It's been fascinating learning about different architecture and design styles, and it was really surprising to me how different houses seem to be in the US compared to here.

So I'm giving back by posting this charming property:

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-hendra-132013366

This house was built some time in the 1920s, I'd imagine. My Granddad bought it in the mid 60s as an investment property. I suspect the front left corner of the house that's labelled as 'sleepouts' in the floor plan may have originally been an L shaped verandah - that would have been more in keeping with the Queenslander style from that era.

Last year the elderly tenants that had been living there for over 20 years moved to a retirement community, and my Granddad decided to sell rather than spend the 50k or so that would have been needed in renovations to bring it to a fit state for new tenants. Original Queenslanders are really popular, and people who buy them tend to want to restore them themselves to their own taste, so it didn't do much harm leaving it in a relatively shabby state.

The house has a ton of charming character features from Queenslanders of the era.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

The house has a ton of charming character features from Queenslanders of the era.

I love that house/layout.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

I love that house/layout.

So do I. And so did a few people I guess because it was only on the market for 4 days. Obviously the place needed a ton of work done to it by the new owner so I'd love to have been able to see what it looks like after it's done.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 3, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah right I'm be in there and some clown will pop up and shove metal sheets inbetween the doors and reshuffle the compartments, no thanks.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Lord Bude posted:

I've just spent the past couple of months binge reading this entire thread from start to finish. It was an excellent read, although the BeatsmasterJ saga was a tad tiresome. It's been fascinating learning about different architecture and design styles, and it was really surprising to me how different houses seem to be in the US compared to here.

So I'm giving back by posting this charming property:

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-hendra-132013366

This house was built some time in the 1920s, I'd imagine. My Granddad bought it in the mid 60s as an investment property. I suspect the front left corner of the house that's labelled as 'sleepouts' in the floor plan may have originally been an L shaped verandah - that would have been more in keeping with the Queenslander style from that era.

Last year the elderly tenants that had been living there for over 20 years moved to a retirement community, and my Granddad decided to sell rather than spend the 50k or so that would have been needed in renovations to bring it to a fit state for new tenants. Original Queenslanders are really popular, and people who buy them tend to want to restore them themselves to their own taste, so it didn't do much harm leaving it in a relatively shabby state.

Nice house, lots of potential when it’s decorated for sure.

I don’t understand how such an old house can just have a garden that’s a flat square of grass, without even a tree. All the old folks in my country are 100% about having a nice garden.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wooger posted:

Nice house, lots of potential when it’s decorated for sure.

I don’t understand how such an old house can just have a garden that’s a flat square of grass, without even a tree. All the old folks in my country are 100% about having a nice garden.

It's been used as a rental property since well before my Granddad bought it in the 60s. You'll notice in the photos all the other houses around have lots of trees, and there's a big one in the front yard (Hendra is a very leafy neighbourhood, broad footpaths with lots of trees, etc). But Renters generally don't plant gardens, even if they were permitted to (they mostly aren't). Either my Grandparents or a previous owner probably razed everything and turned it into a lawn to minimise any maintenance that would be needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, that needs some trees, wildflower beds and a greenhouse. Feed the bees and grow some veggies :)