Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One more tip for Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 that I put on the page:

- Keep the path through your park as linear as possible, including using one-way no entry signs to block off the short paths out of a ride exit. The guests can literally get lost in a 2x2 square of path, they'll need all the help they can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mierenneuker posted:

Awesome.

For those who've played Shadow of War: what determines whether you can destroy a piece of equipment and turn it into currency? I think whites and purples are off-limits, but I have no idea why it only sometimes works on yellows and oranges. I'm not fiending for currency, but I like cleaning up my inventory after I've killed a dozen captains.
For equipment that you have already upgraded/unlocked the second bonus the option to sell them is hidden in the Modify menu. Or maybe it was the other way around, something like that. For some reason it's weirdly inconsistent, but you can pretty much get rid of anything except for the special starting equipment you are given at the beginning of the game.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Anything for Sunless Skies? I want to go in mostly blind but these games can be really obtuse and I want to make sure I don't miss anything obvious.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Is this still true in the Redux version?

Edit: Metro 2033 Redux removes Easy difficulty altogether! You pick between Survival and Spartan first, then you have the choice of Normal, Hardcore, Ranger (Normal) and Ranger Hardcore.

If you are playing for the first time it would just go with Survival - Normal.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 29, 2020

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

Anything for Sunless Skies? I want to go in mostly blind but these games can be really obtuse and I want to make sure I don't miss anything obvious.

There was I think but I can't find it. There's a bunch of changes from Seas like trading being an actual mechanic you want to interact with and lights not burning fuel.

Most notably : Officers including your Mascot must be equipped to provide bonuses, this can only be done at port.
You used to be able to move faster for less fuel by strafing at an angle.
The hub port is on the well... hub of each map. So if you appear and are kind of lost, head to the middle.
The area through the gate you start next to is dangerous, confusing and can be kind of expensive to work in. Don't rush in.
You can tune combat difficulty at any time (IIRC?)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is probably a dumb question, but I finally had time to try the first bit of Metro 2033, and does that game actually intend for stealth to be viable? I was under the impression that I had to keep from killing guys to get the good ending, but I just got to the first real gameplay the lost tunnels in chapter 2, where that shady guy wants me to knife a bunch of bandits, and I genuinely do not know what the hell the game wants me to do beyond "Get discovered by the glitchy AI and shoot a zillion dudes." This is honestly making me want to look up console commands and just cheat past all of the gameplay, because sheesh.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Omi no Kami posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I finally had time to try the first bit of Metro 2033, and does that game actually intend for stealth to be viable? I was under the impression that I had to keep from killing guys to get the good ending, but I just got to the first real gameplay the lost tunnels in chapter 2, where that shady guy wants me to knife a bunch of bandits, and I genuinely do not know what the hell the game wants me to do beyond "Get discovered by the glitchy AI and shoot a zillion dudes." This is honestly making me want to look up console commands and just cheat past all of the gameplay, because sheesh.

Stealth in Metro (at least 2033) is meant to be a way to reduce the number of guys that you will end up shooting later. It's very unlikely that you'll stealth an entire area, it's more likely you'll take a few guys down then shoot the rest.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Do you realize that you frequently need to trigger conversations between enemies and that they’ll end up moving somewhere else after they are done talking? They did that in all 3 Metro games. In that dark tunnel will be three bandits hanging around a campfire. They’ll have a convo about kidnapping someone and afterwards only one will keep sitting there.

It might get easier later on because you’ll have a set of throwing knives (can be picked up after use) and will find/buy silenced weapons. I loved the silenced shotgun (the one that holds six rounds, the Shambler), it’s great for when you are going for a stealthy approach and suddenly turn a corner... straight into a bad guy. A silenced Kalash is also decent for when getting in range of light source to shut it off is too risky.

Don’t be afraid to fall back when things do go sour. They’ll patrol erratically once they discover bodies, so at that point the melee takedowns are very risky. They’ll also call you “a beetch” a lot, get used to that.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 29, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Morpheus posted:

Stealth in Metro (at least 2033) is meant to be a way to reduce the number of guys that you will end up shooting later. It's very unlikely that you'll stealth an entire area, it's more likely you'll take a few guys down then shoot the rest.

Mierenneuker posted:

Do you realize that you frequently need to trigger conversations between enemies and that they’ll end up moving somewhere else after they are done talking? They did that in all 3 Metro games. In that dark tunnel will be three bandits hanging around a campfire. They’ll have a convo about kidnapping someone and afterwards only one will keep sitting there.
First answer is for the original Metro 2033, second is for Redux.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

Trading is viable and in fact really important now compared to Seas.

Aside from that, go blind. The whole game thrives on the idea of you being totally clueless and figuring it out as you go.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

Do you have to keep from killing to get the good ending? I’ve only ever watched a let’s play of metro 2033 but I was under the impression that it was determined by how many conversations you listened to or something, I didn’t think it mattered how many people you killed in combat.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Pretty sure the list of Karma moments runs from the mundane to the questionably obscure. I didn't think killing factored in.

Edit: They changed it all in Redux apparently.
https://metrovideogame.fandom.com/wiki/Moral_Points

Spoilers in link.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 29, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Trading is viable and in fact really important now compared to Seas.

Aside from that, go blind. The whole game thrives on the idea of you being totally clueless and figuring it out as you go.
Yeah, you can actually make a livable amount of money just from standard trade routes, so it's no longer necessary to grind storylets just to make ends meet. There are also a number of special locations where you can go on stat/crew-based expeditions for trade goods as well as specials on bulk purchases in certain ports that have a substantially higher profit margin. Most towns will also have requests for certain goods that pay extra and when fulfilled increase your relationship with that location, which is usually how you unlock additional events and quest chains.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

And since I played the Redux version, this is where I exit stage right :tipshat:

I guess they changed way more than I was lead to believe. Good thing I never bothered with my copy of Metro 2033 on Steam and ended up playing the Redux version on Game Pass.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 29, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Holy crap, thank you! That was driving me crazy... I'd read the wiki tip about advancing, and I spent like 15 minutes repeating that area and wondering why listening to the guys chat around the campfire didn't change the patrol routes or anything. It's reassuring to know that it's about making stuff easier, though- I'm pretty sure I would never be able to force myself to finish it if I had to 100% stealth every section.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Omi no Kami posted:

Holy crap, thank you! That was driving me crazy... I'd read the wiki tip about advancing, and I spent like 15 minutes repeating that area and wondering why listening to the guys chat around the campfire didn't change the patrol routes or anything. It's reassuring to know that it's about making stuff easier, though- I'm pretty sure I would never be able to force myself to finish it if I had to 100% stealth every section.
I believe a certain bridge is the only place where you can actually stealth all the way through, by following the heavily sign-posted path.

Also - exploring, listening to conversations all the way through, and doing good deeds should be more than enough to get you all the morality points you need.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Any non-spoilery tips for Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice? I just discovered this jewel of a game, and going through reviews they state that your save will be deleted if you die too much, which is not something I look forward to, especially when I'm used to dying in games like Sekiro.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

srulz posted:

Any non-spoilery tips for [bHellblade: Senua's Sacrifice[/b]? I just discovered this jewel of a game, and going through reviews they state that your save will be deleted if you die too much, which is not something I look forward to, especially when I'm used to dying in games like Sekiro.

Those reviews are wrong, just keep going.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

srulz posted:

Any non-spoilery tips for Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice? I just discovered this jewel of a game, and going through reviews they state that your save will be deleted if you die too much, which is not something I look forward to, especially when I'm used to dying in games like Sekiro.

All you need to know is you should play with headphones on if at all possible.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

srulz posted:

Don't worry about it, just play.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

srulz posted:

To properly answer, since I had a very similar run in to this same thing, the game will tell you that, but its lying. Your save won't go anywhere, even if you die 1000 times.

Also yes, play with headphones.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Red Dead Redemption 2 tips could usean extra warning for the story mode, telling that the mission "Banking, the Old American Art" in Chapter 4 will trigger an intermission leading to the last act of the story, which pretty much goes on railroad tracks that point onwards.

If you just wish to do some unharassed hunting, fishing, exploring, camp activities or some other stuff, this is the point of no return. Take it when you are absolutely certain that you mostly just want to see handful of new stranger missions and the rest of the story.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

srulz posted:

In addition to headphones you should turn off the subtitles. I'm someone who usually turns on subtitles for everything, but turning them off in Senua improved the experience.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

srulz posted:

this is a game in part about mental health, anxiety about stuff is part of that. Your anxiety about save games being deleted is part of the narrative. Try not to worry too much.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

srulz posted:

Experiment with your attacks when you get the chance. Perfect parries and the punch attack can be really strong and Senua can do sick combo stuff that the game never tells you about.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Lord Hypnostache posted:

In addition to headphones you should turn off the subtitles. I'm someone who usually turns on subtitles for everything, but turning them off in Senua improved the experience.

Agreed. Sometimes the subtitles are for a series of voices that play out in the span of 30 seconds. It loses some effect if are reading all of it within 5 seconds.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Really? How so. I turned it on and it was better for me, hearing all the extra stuff, the quiet stuff especially.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

double nine posted:

this is a game in part about mental health, anxiety about stuff is part of that. Your anxiety about save games being deleted is part of the narrative. Try not to worry too much.

I got that part back when I picked the game up, but I personally think it's a dick move to even threaten that kind of thing outside of an explicit ironman/permadeath thing. It's easy to have a run of bad luck either in fights or during puzzle/platforming bits and die a lot, and if my save had been deleted on top of that, I'd have been pissed.

And people being all coy about it doesn't help that feeling. A lot of people don't like the idea of being able to lose literally all of their progress.

edit: like don't get me wrong, the game is really good and I highly recommend it, I just don't like that one part of it, and the best way to sell the game to others worried about it is to just tell them the truth.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 31, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My minor hearing issues (I have trouble with multiple simultaneous audio sources) combined with games typically having terrible mixing has had me turning on subtitles before starting every single game for the last 15 years.

I know you can fiddle with individual mix volumes in most games, but it rarely seems to help. Also, people talk way too loving slowly in games. Even fully voice acted games I am skipping most dialogue because it's so terrible. I like watching good cutscenes, and feel obliged to even watch the talky ones because I like plot, but just hurry it a along please. I'm surprised my Options button still works after Death Stranding's 5 individual cutscenes to have a shower or the 4 that comprise making a delivery/donating materials.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Have you considered setting up your system to use mono-audio instead of stereo output? Especially if you have problems with multiple audio sources and directions that might be a bit more comfortable for you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ShootaBoy posted:

I got that part back when I picked the game up, but I personally think it's a dick move to even threaten that kind of thing outside of an explicit ironman/permadeath thing. It's easy to have a run of bad luck either in fights or during puzzle/platforming bits and die a lot, and if my save had been deleted on top of that, I'd have been pissed.

And people being all coy about it doesn't help that feeling. A lot of people don't like the idea of being able to lose literally all of their progress.

edit: like don't get me wrong, the game is really good and I highly recommend it, I just don't like that one part of it, and the best way to sell the game to others worried about it is to just tell them the truth.

The message is 100% truthful.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Have you considered setting up your system to use mono-audio instead of stereo output? Especially if you have problems with multiple audio sources and directions that might be a bit more comfortable for you.

It's more like an ADD issue where I can hear everything at the same time and can't pick one to focus on. I feel like mono-audio will drive me more insane, because I actually use positional audio cues in stuff. Listening for footsteps in Overwatch or CoD for example.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the message was truthful imo, my save was deleted a few hours into Hellblade.

Because I hated it and uninstalled forever

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

happyhippy posted:

Really? How so. I turned it on and it was better for me, hearing all the extra stuff, the quiet stuff especially.

It's not a major thing, but I felt it helped with the atmosphere of uncertainty and a lack of UI.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
(re:Senua)

Have you guys considered simply being good at the game and not even dying once like me :smuggo:

Mind you I went in knowing that the message was a lie, I'm not sure how I would've reacted if I didn't know that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the message was truthful imo, my save was deleted a few hours into Hellblade.

Because I hated it and uninstalled forever

I hate to be pedantic but this tip is inaccurate and should be removed from the wiki, steam keeps your save file after you delete a game

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kruller posted:

Anything for Impire?

Quoting myself in hope of some tips.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Firstly thanks for all the confirmation regarding Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice guys, those are really comforting to know. Anyway I think I'm far enough into the game (illusion boss now) to contribute to a wiki page:

1. Use a headphone & don't worry too much about the early warning.

2. If you turn on subtitles, they will show only specific voices, not all.

3. Sometimes interactables cannot be Focused on until you are on a specific distance away from it: need to go closer or further until a circle appears.

4. When you are in the correct area for the symbol puzzle, you will see the small symbols floating in the air + the "guiding" symbol will appear in the middle of your screen now when you Focus - verticality may still matter though.

5. Listen to your voices in combat - subtitles are very helpful here to highlight the important ones over the others.

6. If you are knocked down the first time in combat, you are not actually dead yet especially if the voices urge you on - just spam dodge.

7. Your health regens naturally in combat, and will refill completely once you trigger a power unlocked during the first boss fight.

8. You still need to hold Sprint button to run in combat even if Sprint toggle is on. For example, use Sprint + melee attack (F in PC) to knock away shields before attacking.

srulz fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not entirely done with Middle-Earth: Shadow of War yet, but I think I played enough to be able to rewrite the current tips and add my own. The ability section I had used to be longer, but I removed 2/3 of it because I realized a player should be encouraged to mess around with those.

About patches/updates:
- The market/paid loot boxes were completely removed from the game. You can earn some loot for doing online vendettas and sieges, but it's minor stuff.
- The patches also gave the game a wide range of very nuanced difficulty settings, including something like Devil May Cry's "Heaven or Hell" difficulty setting - everything dies very quickly, including yourself.
- Act 4: Shadow Wars was renamed to Epilogue and reworked. There is still an ending cinematic if you finish it, but if you feel done with the game after Act 3 just look it up online.

Start of the game:
- The first game (Shadow of Mordor) has "Nemesis Forge" which allows to carry over a nemesis and follower to this game. It's a minor feature, you might not even notice your old rival or friend.
- It does still provide a better experience if you die every so often so that you can get the most out of the Nemesis system, but you do no longer need to intentionally gimp yourself for that to happen.
- You don't get to recruit orc captains until Act 2.
- If you want to hang around in Act 1 for a while, you still want to do main missions until you're dealing with siege beasts. That mission earns you the double jump (Shadow Strider) which makes moving around much easier.
- It's best to recruit orc captains who you think are the funniest or are followers of a warchief (so they can betray him later on). For the really late game you'll end recruiting high level orc captains anyway.
- If you can't fast travel to a Haedir tower or a different region, an orc or beast is still targeting you. You'll have to move away further to make sure you are unseen.

Gear:
- Even if gear in your inventory doesn't give you prompts for it, you can upgrade it to your current level or sell it from the Modify Gear menu. Exceptions: you can't upgrade if the item still has a challenge, starting gear can't be destroyed.
- There are two kind of bows: regular ones and longbows. Longbows have piercing shots, but have a lower Elf-shot maximum.
- Most of the Legendary gear and set bonuses are so-so. The exception is the Threshing Sword from the Machine set. It boosts the attacks with the Glaive. It makes the Deadly Striker skill upgrade for the Glaive devastating.

Skill points:
- The game will give you more than enough skill points throughout the game to get all the main skills and all the skill upgrades you would want.
- Get all the main skills (the big symbols) first because they're all good for something, no matter how you specifically want to play.
- Obtaining a main skill will frequently unlock a matching Shadows of the Past mission (often in a later region while in Act 1). Those always have optional objectives that can earn you another skill point.

Abilities and main skills:
- The game shoves a lot of abilities in a small number of keys/buttons. The "display combat hints" setting spams hints, but can be a useful reminder that you can do things you might have forgotten about.
- An orc captain can be on fire, poisoned and cursed at the same time. Freezing them or making them "dazed" will stop these effects.
- The Consume skill (default: C) uses Might to quickly drain a orc and restore a portion of your health. It can't be interrupted, unlike the main Drain/Dominate ability (default: hold E). If an orc captain is "broken", Consume will now dominate them and it can't be interrupted. Since orc captains are frequently surrounded by half a dozen orcs, this is very useful.
- The Poison Tendril skill will allow you to poison grog containers by aiming at them from a distance and pressing a button (default: G). Firing at these poisoned containers will make them explode with balefire, a combination of poison and fire.
- Treasure Hunter will automatically pick up gems, coins and gear dropped by enemies. Upon collecting all the Gondorian Artifacts in every region, you will unlock the Prospector skill upgrade. This will make gems you find tier 2 instead of tier 1. Sometimes you'll find olog-hai (ogres) carrying a gem, Prospector makes their gems tier 4 instead of tier 3.

Skill upgrade recommendations:
- Perfect Counter > Fatal Counter makes dealing with a huge group of orcs easier, but has negative synergy with Ground Finisher > Ground Drain (there won't be knocked down orcs if you instantly kill them).
- Ground Finisher > Wraith Shield will allow you to parry during a ground execution to avoid being interrupted.
- Ground Finisher > Ground Drain will combo with the skill upgrades for Drain.
- Brutal Aggression > Ceaseless Might allows you to Execute twice in a row with a full Might bar, which is a good ability to damage orc captains.
- Freeze Pin > Savage Ice gives you a tool to stop olog-hai (ogrelike, hulking orcs) and beasts in their tracks.
- Shadow Strike > Pull allows you to teleport an orc to you, this allows you to grab an orc captain away from his army. If you do it from a high place it'll take long for backup to arrive.
- Shadow Mount > Packmaster allows you to dominate a broken Caragor and instantly recruit their buddies, this can single-handedly take out entire mounted patrols and neuter them completely.
- Shadow Strider > Hammer of Eregion will freeze an enemy if you leap over them, setting them up for tons of damage.
- Detonate > Matron's Scent and Call Followers > Cluster of Spiders allow you to exploit Mortal Weaknesses without having to rely on the environment to summon them.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 3, 2020