Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

MathMathCalculation posted:

After his Goldust stuff, when he returned to WCW, was his run considered any good? I remember when he cut a promo about how he hated dressing up as something silly and then his gimmick was like a generic cowboy. It seemed pretty boring to me at the time, with the only memorable thing being that he carried around a cowbell, but at that point I was pretty done with WCW so I might be biased.
he didn't do anything and then they tried to make him a black and white golddust right after saying that promo about hating to dress up. or maybe i got those two things reversed or something. But he didn't do anything anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

After his Goldust stuff, when he returned to WCW, was his run considered any good? I remember when he cut a promo about how he hated dressing up as something silly and then his gimmick was like a generic cowboy. It seemed pretty boring to me at the time, with the only memorable thing being that he carried around a cowbell, but at that point I was pretty done with WCW so I might be biased.

i only saw a little of very late stage WCW but what little I did see, Dusty and Dustin were often the best at taking the absolute garbage that was given to them and making it entertaining

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is The Sandman a truly bad wrestler or just a lovably sloppy wrestler?

Everybody I know of loves the guy but the "smarks" treat it more as a guilty pleasure. I think I've seen folks on here even say he's their favorite bad wrestler.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

The black and white Dust thing was in TNA, but Rhodes was mostly brutal in late WCW. In the last month or so, he did good stuff with his dad, but that was mostly on his dad.

He's had many ups and downs though. He had his great WWE run with Booker and co in 2002, then went to TNA and was awful, and then came back to WWE and was competent. From 2002 on, and on many previous occasions, when he was sober, he could always do good comedy, but his recent working renaissance was pretty unexpected, in that he was never good at non-gay-baiting non-comedy before.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm still a bit unclear about his Seven character in WCW due to reading so much conflicting information about it. Was it intended as a legit spooky character along the lines of, say, Bray Wyatt until Turner S&P got involved? Was it always going to end with a worked shoot, or was this something added in by the recently arrived Vince Russo (he might not have even got there yet, I'm confused with my timelines)? Were the promos really supposed to imply that he was a child molester of sorts?

Either way it was bad.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm still a bit unclear about his Seven character in WCW due to reading so much conflicting information about it. Was it intended as a legit spooky character along the lines of, say, Bray Wyatt until Turner S&P got involved? Was it always going to end with a worked shoot, or was this something added in by the recently arrived Vince Russo (he might not have even got there yet, I'm confused with my timelines)? Were the promos really supposed to imply that he was a child molester of sorts?

Either way it was bad.

And they put so much effort into the debut. With him floating to the ring and all the fire and then... oh... welp never mind.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I really really really love Dustin’s comedy spot he does in multi mans now where he fires up and hits his powerslam on two of his opponents, then asks the third opponent to wait so he can get a breather before waving them in so he can hit it on them too. It’s just great :)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If the only good thing that ever came out of AEW was giving Dustin Rhodes a satisfying and fulfilling later career resurgence it would still be a worthwhile venture. He seems to happy to be having good matches and training up new guys and I'm so delighted for him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He’s going to coach Sonny Kiss into a global megastar

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dustin Rhodes had a goddamn five star match of the year at the age of 50.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

Everybody I know of loves the guy but the "smarks" treat it more as a guilty pleasure. I think I've seen folks on here even say he's their favorite bad wrestler.

I imagine he has to be at least passable and not bad to have lasted as long as he did in ECW, WCW, and WWE. I know there are/were terrible wrestlers in all of those promotions but everyone mostly at least knew the basics.

I only saw him briefly as the surfer Sandman but I don't remember him being laughably terrible. I think it's more a case of leaning to his strengths which were his aura and entrance and just doing a few moves mixed with simple brawling.

That being said, I haven't seen a "Sandman in his prime" match in ages so I could be completely wrong.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Remember when Sandman debuted in WCW and had a promo and a match without even being given a name?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

I really really really love Dustin’s comedy spot he does in multi mans now where he fires up and hits his powerslam on two of his opponents, then asks the third opponent to wait so he can get a breather before waving them in so he can hit it on them too. It’s just great :)

The first time I saw this was in the Mixed Tag Challenge, and it was really good. Dustin is great.

So is lovely Dustin.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I always forget just how well surfer Sting connected with the crowd, especially kids. He basically acted like a big kid that was given a chance to be a wrestler and it somehow clicked.

A while ago, I went back and watched some of Sting's early matches. Two things stuck out at me - one, like you say he was extremely over with the crowd from the beginning, and two, I got more of an appreciation of why that big corner splash was a signature move for him. As a young guy, he was getting some serious height on that thing and it looked drat impressive.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Endless Mike posted:

The first time I saw this was in the Mixed Tag Challenge, and it was really good. Dustin is great.

So is lovely Dustin.

if AEW doesn't give us, at least once, a Dustin & Dustin tag team, what's the point of anything?

rujasu posted:

A while ago, I went back and watched some of Sting's early matches. Two things stuck out at me - one, like you say he was extremely over with the crowd from the beginning, and two, I got more of an appreciation of why that big corner splash was a signature move for him. As a young guy, he was getting some serious height on that thing and it looked drat impressive.

something I do think 80s wrestling got right, and sometimes modern wrestling misses, is the Enthusiastic Guy. Babyfaces who are happy to be there, a livewire with the crowd, and do moves that are fast and athletic rather than incredibly hardhitting or technically devastating. I'm sure people have modern examples of this, but the closest I see in modern wrestling is someone like Warhorse.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 3, 2020

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I know Sting wasn't exactly the best wrestler ever, or even a considerable draw outside of 1997 according to people who know their numbers better than I do, but I can admire a performer who is at their best when they're being a pure babyface. People like that are few and far between for a number of reasons, but sometimes all you want is a good guy shoutyman to beat up all the baddies and call it a day. In terms of the babyface fire (perhaps "aura" is a better word to use when talking about Crow Sting?) he brought to his matches and promos, I do have to think a little bit to find someone comparable to Sting at his peak.

Another question, just how bad was his heel run in 1999? I remember it being very bad.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

NikkolasKing posted:

Sandman wasn't very good and was dangerous depending on what he was on at the time

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Another question, just how bad was his heel run in 1999? I remember it being very bad.

The main thing I remember about it was that it was short. It was obvious right away that the crowd wasn't interested in Sting as a heel and they rolled it back like a month later.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TriffTshngo posted:

Wasn't he always regarded as a really good talent early on, pre-Goldust? I remember a lot of wrestlers saying Dustin totally lived up to his nickname at the time, "The Natural," he just had the issue of... y'know, having virtually no charisma, made even more apparent by being associated with his insanely charismatic dad.
He never had a lot of fancy moves but was very good at the little details. Part of what made Goldust work, to the extent that it did, was that he was a tall guy who could work like an old-school Memphis brawler.

gently caress no. The only noteworthy thing he did was debuting as "Se7en" in a worked shoot where he shat on the gimmick (and Goldust). Then he went back to being a rhinestone cowboy. He did a program with JJ, bounced around on Thunder, and wrestled JJ and Rick Steiner a few more times before WCW died.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Why does Curt Hawkins carry a staff around?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Who is the highest profile active wrestler not to have ever won a singles title in WWE, NJPW, or AEW? This is a discussion I had a while back with my other wrestle chat, curious to hear your perspectives.

Second question does the RevPro title count as an NJPW title? This is an argument I had in my other wrestlechat when someone answered ZSJ to the above.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

Who is the highest profile active wrestler not to have ever won a singles title in WWE, NJPW, or AEW? This is a discussion I had a while back with my other wrestle chat, curious to hear your perspectives.

Second question does the RevPro title count as an NJPW title? This is an argument I had in my other wrestlechat when someone answered ZSJ to the above.

Probably Kento Miyahara.

RevPro titles are recognized by NJPW, but I wouldn't say that they're a NJPW title per se.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

rujasu posted:

It helped that JCP booked him extremely well upon their purchase of the UWF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsXFUvKauq4

Seeing him in squash matches like that every week and you can't but help to get behind the guy. I should know; I was one of the fans at this time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Big Yoshi-Hashi fan.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Since RevPro are a partner company with NJPW (along with CMLL and ROH) they allow NJPW to have title matches for their belts. El Phantasmo is the British Cruiserweight champion and awhile back Zack & Suzuki were British Tag Champs. New Japan used to feature ROH title matches as well but outside of G1 Supercard the only real mention of ROH belts has been Ryu Lee, current ROH TV champion, bringing the belt out with him recently, and back when GoD were ROH tag champs for a spell last year.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hellblazer187 posted:

Negro Casas, LA Park, tons of guys in Mexico

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Hellblazer187 posted:

These might be cheat-answers, but by those standards even within those companies, the following people would qualify:

Matt Riddle
Io Shirai
Xavier Woods
Pentagon Jr.
Fenix
Either Buck
Hangman Page
Sanada

Everyone but the first two would be disqualified if you include tag championships, obviously. Also I guess luchas like LA Park, Rush, Ultimo Guerrero, etc. would be in the conversation.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Either way it was bad.
It was going to be a spooky gimmick before S&P got involved, but it was also during the last days of Bischoff's WCW before he was fired and Turner brought in Vince Russo to replace him as head of creative and Bill Busch (I think?) was made President of WCW.

The vignettes gave children nightmares and parents wrote letters, so they scrapped the gimmick and Russo loves worked shoots, so Seven appeared exactly one time and it was to flush the gimmick down the crapper.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

rujasu posted:

The main thing I remember about it was that it was short. It was obvious right away that the crowd wasn't interested in Sting as a heel and they rolled it back like a month later.

So a big question is, if Sting had been the third man of the nWo instead of Hulk, how well would that (and the nWo by extension) have gone over? I’ll bet if it had happened that way, the nWo would never have been as big as it was, and who knows if the whole attitude era would’ve happened.

I’m sure someone somewhere has written this up as a what if.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

I actually have an answer for this one, he was teamed with Tyler Reks at some point (they were a unit in old NXT, but I don't remember if they predate that) and when they were brought to Raw they were told they would be male strippers. So Hawkins gets the cane prop for that gimmick and like it (and having something he can idle with, which is super important if you are never more than background fodder) enough to never drop it when WWE immediately forgot what gimmick they told him he was doing. (They had been delayed because Tyler Reks retired rather than be a male stripper on tv, so eh)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It was going to be a spooky gimmick before S&P got involved, but it was also during the last days of Bischoff's WCW before he was fired and Turner brought in Vince Russo to replace him as head of creative and Bill Busch (I think?) was made President of WCW.

The vignettes gave children nightmares and parents wrote letters, so they scrapped the gimmick and Russo loves worked shoots, so Seven appeared exactly one time and it was to flush the gimmick down the crapper.

How many times has Russo done the “Wrestler shoot throws away his gimmick in embarrassment”? Dustin did it at least twice, and then there’s the Beaver Cleavage thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

So a big question is, if Sting had been the third man of the nWo instead of Hulk, how well would that (and the nWo by extension) have gone over? I’ll bet if it had happened that way, the nWo would never have been as big as it was, and who knows if the whole attitude era would’ve happened.

It's been asked before and I think the consensus was "It's hot for a little bit, then Hogan beats them all and the angle is buried."

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

The nWo was already around when I started watching, so I wasn't "there" at the time, but I don't think the third man could have been anyone other than Hulk Hogan. He was the only guy in wrestling back then with a big enough name to draw in people who weren't already watching. But yeah, I think Sting would have taken the wind out of the sails of the angle. It would have been a let-down as a reveal, and I really can't see Sting going over as a heel.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought Luger turning was plan B anyway?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

Hogan would have gone over all three guys before the end of that year and it would've been seen as a big flop.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What happened to the American Wolves? Did people just get sick of Davey's poo poo?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That and Eddie Edwards brain was broken by being stapled to Davey Richards so he became Tommy Dreamer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

algebra testes posted:

What happened to the American Wolves? Did people just get sick of Davey's poo poo?

They split and feuded a bit in Impact but then Davey retired to become an EMT. I think he might have come back and then retired again? He also married Angelina Love and had a kid with her but then got divorced? I dunno.

Eddie's stayed in Impact, stayed solo, had a World Title run, got hit in the head with a bat by Sami Callihan, and became a deranged brawler and the protege of both Tommy Dreamer and Raven.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Hogan would have gone over all three guys before the end of that year and it would've been seen as a big flop.
Yeah, I don't see how things work if Hogan's on the WCW side of things. He doesn't spend a year in the rafters and he doesn't get his rear end kicked for a year. And he was cold as poo poo so no one would have gotten excited to see him fight the nWo. So the whole thing probably would have burned out with a leg drop.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The nWo without Hogan falls into the dustbin of history with the Dungeon of Doom, the Alliance to End Hulkamania, whatever the crew that gave Brutus Beefcake a singles match for the WCW world title at Starrcade. And by this I mean Kevin Nash and Scott Hall would be teaming with Kevin Sullivan and a ghost.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Mil Mascaras. Any other answer is hilariously wrong and ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Mil Mascaras. Any other answer is hilariously wrong and ignorant.

i mean the question itself is kind of useless with how hilariously narrow the parameters are. 3 companies, one of which has existed for literally under a year.

you're still right, though