Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Verisimilidude posted:

Been painting a lot the past few days, so here's a dump of stuff I've painted!

gently caress be running, these look really good. The lighting is just fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
21st Portuguese Infantry Regiment painting part 3

I finished base coats and covered it liberally with Nuln Oil. I might use some Blue wash over the uniforms to stand out better.

I'm not very happy with them, though I got better as I went. I'm hoping the ARMY PAINTER brushes and paint work better instead of the Citadel stuff I've used for this Brigade.I will need to go and buy some turpentine for the ARMY PAINTER quickshade (Question - why don't they use the same sort of wash that GW does?)

Just need to glue them to the bases and paint and flock the bases. And print out and attach flags. And Varnish. And buy, paint and base 11 more units :(

Table view

Front On of the Brigade

Grenadiers

Centre Company and Command Group

Light Company

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Comstar posted:

(Question - why don't they use the same sort of wash that GW does?
To your question, a question: Why didn't you buy their normal wash? Because they totally do sell them.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Comstar posted:

21st Portuguese Infantry Regiment painting part 3

I finished base coats and covered it liberally with Nuln Oil. I might use some Blue wash over the uniforms to stand out better.

I'm not very happy with them, though I got better as I went. I'm hoping the ARMY PAINTER brushes and paint work better instead of the Citadel stuff I've used for this Brigade.I will need to go and buy some turpentine for the ARMY PAINTER quickshade (Question - why don't they use the same sort of wash that GW does?)

Just as a warning, the coating on the brush handles can and will come off very easily.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

Quickshades are basically wood stain, and their original marketing was based around doing a base coat then dipping a model in to get a quick finished look that's "OK" for doing hordes. The longer drying time of the wash let it be pulled around by gravity more. AP also sells normal acrylic washes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Their acrylic washes are also called "Quickshade" so you might have the right stuff and you might not. If it comes in a tin, you don't want it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I can't manage not to make my miniatures look drab as hell, even with some highlight and what's not. What am I doing wrong?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Iceclaw posted:

I can't manage not to make my miniatures look drab as hell, even with some highlight and what's not. What am I doing wrong?

Some shading as well would probably help, like a wash with black tone and then reapply base and highlight a little. But ultimately medium grey is just a very drab color, maybe literally the most drab there is.

e: To elaborate, the orange next to grey is basically a neon sign in terms of contrast, which can be totally fine but you also have that color on the base. If you repainted the bases to be just grey or black that would help a ton because right now they are distracting from the model itself.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 1, 2020

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ijyt posted:

Automotive primer like Halfords grey works best for pewter models, but I’ve also found that Stynylrez is durable enough too.

e: and yeah just handling the model by its base or pinning it to cork is pretty much mandatory.

I’ve also found that Rustoleum x2 Flat primer works really well. I’ve had metal models that I’ve stripped and that primer refused to let go.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Iceclaw posted:

I think it's a contrast problem. Your colors are pretty solid, but they don't feel like they have a real beginning or an end. It's most noticeable on the metal stuff, which is the hardest to handle:

Like, the gold, the silver and the leather kind of run together in a way you can't solve by highlighting. If you got some darkness between the different elements of the model it would make the transitions clearer and make the model a lot more readable.

Here's a model I did earlier this year to explain:

Dividing up areas like that goes a long, long way to making a model pop. I did something similar at the elbows and the knees since they'd otherwise look like hot dogs. But because I could divide the white area up, it looks good, even though I didn't do poo poo to highlight - all I did was prime white and slap one thin coat down before picking up any other color.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Finished Grimgut and his Retchlings for the game Godtear. Very pleased with how they came out!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I decided to paint something special for my three year mini painting anniversary so I got one of those Spira Mirabilis busts. Pretty fun/interesting experience, it's extremely detailed but in a lot of ways it's kind of a blank canvas so I tried to leave a good bit of texture, since the scale is huge (about 65mm tall, so I guess the scale would be something like 150mm?) and it's a troll. I think I left some places a bit too brush strokey though, looking at the pictures. No idea how I'm going to base him.

If anyone else is looking to paint their first bust I'd actually suggest one that's just a bust, rather than the "entire torso and arms" style that seems to have become popular. Painting at a way bigger scale takes some getting used to and the face is the most interesting part to paint.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Their acrylic washes are also called "Quickshade" so you might have the right stuff and you might not. If it comes in a tin, you don't want it.

I have the tin- it came in the pack. Err...which one do I want exactly then? And does it work like the Citadel Washes?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Comstar posted:

I have the tin- it came in the pack. Err...which one do I want exactly then? And does it work like the Citadel Washes?

You want these, the ones that come in the dropper bottles. https://smile.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Warpaints-Quickshade-Wash/dp/B0714QL55V/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=army+painter+washes&qid=1580611487&sr=8-4

They do work like the citadel washes, yeah.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I decided to paint something special for my three year mini painting anniversary so I got one of those Spira Mirabilis busts. Pretty fun/interesting experience, it's extremely detailed but in a lot of ways it's kind of a blank canvas so I tried to leave a good bit of texture, since the scale is huge (about 65mm tall, so I guess the scale would be something like 150mm?) and it's a troll. I think I left some places a bit too brush strokey though, looking at the pictures. No idea how I'm going to base him.

If anyone else is looking to paint their first bust I'd actually suggest one that's just a bust, rather than the "entire torso and arms" style that seems to have become popular. Painting at a way bigger scale takes some getting used to and the face is the most interesting part to paint.

gently caress yeah, I always wished there’d be more bust content in here, love the texture contrast between the mouse and the troll.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

<----- this loser is upgrading to a airbrush finally! :toot: Equipment ordered just now.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Painted up some more Reaper kobold mooks. Have 6 more mooks to go that I want to paint in green, and then 4 more kobold command

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ijyt posted:

gently caress yeah, I always wished there’d be more bust content in here, love the texture contrast between the mouse and the troll.

If you guys want busts, I've got stuff I can share. I've mainly posted them in the Scale Modeling thread, but I'd love to show them off here too.

This was my latest, Mohawk from Gremlins 2.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
S'more.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from the 30k thread:

Safety Factor posted:

:frogsiren: Seekers complete :frogsiren:
I converted these guys out of Raven Guard Mor Deythan because I like the models and wanted some mkVI in army. It's one of my favorite designs and there's not much room for it in most legions, but I figured seekers would work just fine. Conversions were pretty simple; I had to trim off the various RG emblems, clip off the shoulder pads (they're built in), green stuff new mounting/inner pads, and shave the trim off of a bunch of mkIV pads to get the right look.

Painting-wise, the main thing I did here was add another, slightly lighter grey to my blends. I had previously done black and dark grey, but they weren't really noticeable to anyone but me. There are a lot of flat panels on these models and the lack of knee pads makes things a little weird. I tried to pick a direction for the light hitting each model so they're not all identical. This will be my new standard for painting black going forward. Other than that, I did my usual Dark Angels heraldry and played around with masking fluid for the cloaks. I've got a vigilator with the exact same cloak design waiting to be finished as well.

On to the models!

This unit was a long project and I was a huge dumbass and did them as a batch of ten alongside some characters I was basecoating. I was finishing them at LVO as a result, but still had a few more details and touch ups to do when I got home. I got a few games in with them though and I was pretty happy with how they performed. I am really happy to have these guys done and I'm already mulling over a couple of options for my next project. Speaking of which...

:frogsiren:Additional WIP:frogsiren:

This guy is meant to act as a tartaros delegatus/centurion/warmonger/whatever. He's converted out of the Blood Angels praetor with all of the decorations shaved off. I've still got some minor filing/smoothing to do, but nothing major. The combi-weapon will get magnetized between a couple of options which is why it's held on with sticky tack for now. My current plan is to put together a full terminator ZM list by LVO next year and they'll be led by this idiot. You can fit something like 20 in 1000 points and I need to see how that goes.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

This is really nice. Nice work, man.

I have a Hera Minis orc bust sitting on my painting desk and its intimidating as hell

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog those are great! The Mars Attacks! one is super fun.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I broke my months long painting slump with these:

They're going to be used as scatter terrain on Zone Mortalis board so i wanted them to be suitably weathered

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

Bloody Hedgehog those are great! The Mars Attacks! one is super fun.

:same:

The Mars Attacks one rules hard.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Painted up some of the new Chaos Knights

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Here's a big old Indelible Hunk I made a while back now. This one's a biggie, about 16" tall.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished up my first warband (bar a few highlights when i get some more paint), the Beastie Boys. Not the most vibrant color scheme but I got a lot of practice painting browns. Don't think the guy on the far right was meant to look like a mischievous gopher but that's how he ended up.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 2, 2020

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Painted my Han Solo from Legion. I still have a long way to go before I consider myself a good painter, but I can see progress.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just painted this feller. I was planning on a really meticulous paintjob for him but then I realize he had been sitting (mostly) assembled on my shelf of shame like 10 months and it was probably never going to happen. I tried more of a fast and loose style where I didn't worry too much about blending or small mistakes and I really like the result.

Really great mini too. Out of all of them from that kickstarter I think it delivered the hardest on the concept of "weeby orcs". Kind of wish I had gone for it and used the stupid 100mm long sword he came with as a kickstarter bonus.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you guys want busts, I've got stuff I can share. I've mainly posted them in the Scale Modeling thread, but I'd love to show them off here too.

This was my latest, Mohawk from Gremlins 2.

The eyes on this guy are super impressive. Are those real M&Ms? Because they look like real M&Ms.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 3, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Moon Monster posted:

The eyes on this guy are super impressive. Are those real M&Ms? Because they look like real M&Ms.

Thanks! I used real red yarn strands for the veining. Apparently a technique also used by craftsmen fashioning replacement artificial eyes.

They are real M&M's. In my hubris I though "Hey, sometimes you drop an M&M on the floor, you find it five years later under the couch and it basically looks the exact same. They're shelf stable, they'll keep." They did in fact keep, but within a week I had a fruit fly infestation. So I ripped the whole thing apart, redid the base, this time with multi-colored beads in place of M&M's. A compromise, but the general illusion is maintained. I did keep the M&M's on this head though, as I thought just a couple wouldn't attract flies (so good so far), and that's where the focus mostly is.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Modular painting rack design is all finished, and they are available now for the wealthy and the insane.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/761722506/snaprack-modular-painting-station?ref=shop_home_active_1

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

That gremlin owns. Was gonna call you a madman if you freehanded all of those perfect Ms.

edit: Jesus there's so much great stuff on this page.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 3, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Moon Monster posted:

Just painted this feller. I was planning on a really meticulous paintjob for him but then I realize he had been sitting (mostly) assembled on my shelf of shame like 10 months and it was probably never going to happen. I tried more of a fast and loose style where I didn't worry too much about blending or small mistakes and I really like the result.

Really great mini too. Out of all of them from that kickstarter I think it delivered the hardest on the concept of "weeby orcs". Kind of wish I had gone for it and used the stupid 100mm long sword he came with as a kickstarter bonus.

drat good orc, and the shading on the blade is pretty spot on

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

Communist Thoughts posted:

just the former

dang i'll have to get some varnish

I'd advise you to invest in some latex or nitrile gloves. I find that its mostly a matter of the oil from my skin taking the paint off. Once I have a glove on the hand that holds the mini the problem disappears. Alternately you can get a solution like the GW painting handle to keep your fingers off the mini.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Thanks! I used real red yarn strands for the veining. Apparently a technique also used by craftsmen fashioning replacement artificial eyes.

They are real M&M's. In my hubris I though "Hey, sometimes you drop an M&M on the floor, you find it five years later under the couch and it basically looks the exact same. They're shelf stable, they'll keep." They did in fact keep, but within a week I had a fruit fly infestation. So I ripped the whole thing apart, redid the base, this time with multi-colored beads in place of M&M's. A compromise, but the general illusion is maintained. I did keep the M&M's on this head though, as I thought just a couple wouldn't attract flies (so good so far), and that's where the focus mostly is.

Maybe try sealing the M&Ms with some varnish?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

JackMann posted:

Maybe try sealing the M&Ms with some varnish?

I tried a bunch of things with some tests first, and everything caused the colors to run or bubble to some degree.

Even pro-made reusable prop M&M's are just the real thing dipped in thick resin. It keeps the colors from running because the resin stays put while drying, but you end up with a very thick, shiny layer of clearly visible resin on the surface.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a Mawloc, they have a lot of pokey bits.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Knocked off this half-orc pretty quick, the mold of the face was kind of a mess so I didn't try putting too much detail in, but I like how the rest turned out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Love the palette you went with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So i was working on my first ever figure paint job over the weekend, well, ship, not figure, and my x-wing miniature paint turned out pretty good for a newbie. I used citadel airbrush paints with my hand brushes, this per the local store's recommendation as the paint was pre-thinned. The paint actually felt REALLY thin to me though, so much so that I wonder if using the standard "dry" or "base" paints would be better. Can anyone give advice on this? The paint is so drat watery that it takes a lot of coats to try and cover something. Maybe that's just how it needs to be though?