Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

oxsnard posted:

i know thread consensus is that we want warren to poo poo the bed, but I honestly think Biden getting stomped is the most important thing. Him getting 4th or 5th would evaporate his soft support in the South and Bernie polls second best among black voters. Remember that Clinton was leading Obama in the south pre Iowa in 2008. Believing that Obama could win among white voters seems to have helped a ton

I don't think Biden's voters go to Bernie though. They are idiots so it's pretty hard to predict how they would even break if Biden crashes and burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1224366670971645952?s=21

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the next satellite caucus will take place in one hour at UFCW Local 230 in Ottumwa. that union endorsed bernie sanders, so he should probably carry it handily.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

I think extremely online leftists aren't the only people who've lost faith in electoralism after decades of bipartisan billionaire domination. The particular way in which it manifests differs from group to group and from place to place, but I think there's a surprising number of people out there who feel that their vote won't matter no matter what they do, and have buried that under a layer of rationalization to distance themselves from that uncomfortable feeling.

And of course, there's plenty of entities out there willing to encourage that thinking in order to suppress or manipulate voters. For example, the New Democrats worked hard to convince Dem lefties that the conservatives will win no matter what, so it's better for the Dems to adopt conservatism themselves so that they can exercise some influence over minor policy details.

oh absolutely, you’re exactly right there. it’s a defense mechanism that comes from generations of disenfranchisement and despair

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Biden's voters go to Bernie though. They are idiots so it's pretty hard to predict how they would even break if Biden crashes and burns.

The olds who legitimately want a centrist candidate wouldn't go to Bernie, no, but a lot of the "I just want the candidate who can beat Trump!" voters will break for whoever looks like has momentum. Bernie picking up Iowa followed by NH with Biden placing in a distant third or worse would make a lot of those folks move to Bernie.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm going to bed, I hope to hear good news in the morning. I'm kind of terrified. I unbookmarked this thread 3 weeks ago because I was getting stomachaches reading it. Bernie not doing well would kind of send me into a stupor.

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene

Mandrel posted:

here in Alabama that’s most people I know in my personal life including family

they have all sorts of strongly held articulate political viewpoints with real personal connection to their lives that they’ll talk your ear off about but when it comes to actually voting on them? nah. they laugh it off. a lot of people have an almost self conscious aversion to being perceived as “caring” about anything, much less actually participating. anybody that’s grown up poor or in communities like this particularly I think in cultural places like the south knows how pervasive that gently caress it, whatever man attitude is.

idk what you do with that, in my life I’ve tried every combination of structural argument and every tonal strategy from gentle nudging to friendly ribbing to buddy buddying to trying to ignite outrage to outright bullying them and no matter what or who the moment they realize they’re going to be expected to do something or take a stance they just turtle. i don’t think there’s much you can do with people like that except do your best and hope they’re really bored on voting day or something.

I think there is a lot of truth in that meme "we have made it so taboo to talk politics and religion that we actually forgot to talk about politics and religion"

I dont mean this as some Boomer conciliatory attitude about being nice or being respectful, of some "good ole days",i mean people are literally too stupid, illiterate, or tribal to actually internalize new information.

You can literally go up to a person in rural Iowa, explain "hey, here is the plan with Trump and here is the plan with Bernie/Warren/literally any dem and it will save you money".

They will nod along enthusiastically and then vote for Trump because they either dont care, feel pressured to do so by their peers, or they (and i think this is the likely one) forgot everything they thought they understood as soon as you left their house/porch/workplace.

They just cant get outside of their tribe when it comes to this kind of thing and its precisely why we have minority rule at the Federal level and its loving awful.

No im not bitter about rural America at all why do you ask.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

everyone, please give bernie your energy

gently caress yeah Bernie! When do results start rolling in?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm not getting stomachaches but my blood pressure feels high and jittery. Another 8 hours of waiting. Godamn I need to calm down.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

gently caress yeah Bernie! When do results start rolling in?

Roughly 9pm Eastern

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

oxsnard posted:

i know thread consensus is that we want warren to poo poo the bed, but I honestly think Biden getting stomped is the most important thing. Him getting 4th or 5th would evaporate his soft support in the South and Bernie polls second best among black voters. Remember that Clinton was leading Obama in the south pre Iowa in 2008. Believing that Obama could win among white voters seems to have helped a ton

I think it's ideal for either both or neither to get completely stomped, since if one goes down and the other doesn't, the other will likely consolidate their support. So something like Biden or Warren getting 1st or 2nd and the other getting stomped is probably worse than them getting 2nd and 3rd place to Bernie's 1st.

pepsi lover posted:

I feel blessed to live in this time because very significant things are happening. it's certainly not boring. I hope you all feel as lucky as I do.

Nah, it actually sucks rear end if you're one of the countless people affected by it.

PepsiOverCoke posted:

Knocking on doors in small town Iowa is both hopeful and depressing. They will talk your ear off on how great or bad any candidate is. You ask if they are going to caucus....and they say nah.

Its like you have this once in a lifetime chance to shape the future but youd rather sit in your lazyboy and complain than take the smallest amount of effort to stand up for yourself or your family.

That's only depressing when the person is Bernie, though. It's great if any of the other supporters stay home.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mahoning posted:

Just a timely reminder not to pay too much attention to Five Thirty Eight.

https://twitter.com/fivethirtyeight/status/1224157228233625600?s=21

They were down by 10 after three quarters of faffing about. If you predicted they'd turn it around you're either crazy or using DABEARS algorithm and thus never doubted.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Main Paineframe posted:

Please send your energy to Bernie in the form of campaign donations and volunteering offers, not emptyquoted gifs (at least not in this thread, anyway).:bern101:

Sending $27 out

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/melodymercadotv/status/1224379254768652288

caucus energy intensifying

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I am very excited.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

PepsiOverCoke posted:

I think there is a lot of truth in that meme "we have made it so taboo to talk politics and religion that we actually forgot to talk about politics and religion"

I dont mean this as some Boomer conciliatory attitude about being nice or being respectful, of some "good ole days",i mean people are literally too stupid, illiterate, or tribal to actually internalize new information.

You can literally go up to a person in rural Iowa, explain "hey, here is the plan with Trump and here is the plan with Bernie/Warren/literally any dem and it will save you money".

They will nod along enthusiastically and then vote for Trump because they either dont care, feel pressured to do so by their peers, or they (and i think this is the likely one) forgot everything they thought they understood as soon as you left their house/porch/workplace.

They just cant get outside of their tribe when it comes to this kind of thing and its precisely why we have minority rule at the Federal level and its loving awful.

Political tribalism isn't limited to "flyover country"

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Epicurius posted:

I read a suggestion, which makes sense to me, that DC should have an early primary. It's more diverse and solidly Democratic, as well as urban, unlike Iowa and New Hampshire. Plus, having to actually spend time in DC campaigning and talking to residents might make the candidates more aware of its needs and concerns.

My friends made a documentary about Bernie supports during the last DC primary. Text, call, donate, empty quote gifs, whatever just do your part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fywcjI6fB8Q

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Could you expand? I'm not 100% on the arcane caucus procedure details and am curious.

It is a brand new system, the rules changed a bunch and so it seems ripe for manipulation. For example, if that Caucus in Tbilisi had 3 attendees and all were pro-Bernie, from what I understand that would give Bernie 4 precinct level delegates for the pseudo-county made up of all the satellite caucuses.

If the results in the district from the actual caucuses are fairly close, then making sure you have a 4-5 people show up at satellite caucuses around the world and USA could have a greater impact than if another 100+ showed up at caucuses in the USA.

I am not saying anything will happen like that, but its the part of the election with the most recently drafted rules, no previous example, and a lot harder for campaigns to observe.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

PepsiOverCoke posted:

I think significant numbers of people support m4a.

Look, you're not going to get everyone to agree, but universal healthcare is wildly popular all around, and has strong support even within the Republican party. The problem is that the Democratic party has never seriously offered material improvements to our well being. Say what you want about Trump, he talked about the deficit, job losses, and wages. Granted, he blamed those things on foreigner, but he at least addressed them. Some people can see through the racist deflections, but a lot of people got suckered in.

Maybe they won't vote for Bernie, maybe they'll go in for Trump again despite him doing nothing. But you need to look past that as well. Soon, Bernie may be pushing for m4a, and if he has bipartisan voter support, that gives him a lot more leverage.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Trabisnikof posted:

It is a brand new system, the rules changed a bunch and so it seems ripe for manipulation. For example, if that Caucus in Tbilisi had 3 attendees and all were pro-Bernie, from what I understand that would give Bernie 4 precinct level delegates for the pseudo-county made up of all the satellite caucuses.

If the results in the district from the actual caucuses are fairly close, then making sure you have a 4-5 people show up at satellite caucuses around the world and USA could have a greater impact than if another 100+ showed up at caucuses in the USA.

I am not saying anything will happen like that, but its the part of the election with the most recently drafted rules, no previous example, and a lot harder for campaigns to observe.

keep in mind that the SDEs assigned to these satellite caucuses is very low, so they won't really have much of an overall impact.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I'm not getting stomachaches but my blood pressure feels high and jittery. Another 8 hours of waiting. Godamn I need to calm down.

This isn't to you specifically, but just because we had a lot of incidents in 2016 election night, please guys go to the hospital if you feel like something is wrong.

A lot of goons are getting to the age where things aren't just random aches and pains. If you feel like something is wrong, believe it's wrong and get treated, please.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Having some dental work done this afternoon, gonna spend the evening on those good Biden supporter drugs

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/PaigeGodden/status/1224387354858807297

update: there is now a warren sign at the ufcw caucus. this might be the crucial turning point for this caucus.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

kidkissinger posted:

everyone, please give bernie your energy

take my energy king. Greece is with you!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FizFashizzle posted:

This isn't to you specifically, but just because we had a lot of incidents in 2016 election night, please guys go to the hospital if you feel like something is wrong.

A lot of goons are getting to the age where things aren't just random aches and pains. If you feel like something is wrong, believe it's wrong and get treated, please.

What happened on 2016 election night? Did some goons get perma'ed from life?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

https://twitter.com/PaigeGodden/status/1224387354858807297

update: there is now a warren sign at the ufcw caucus. this might be the crucial turning point for this caucus.

:derp:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1224383563212173312

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm going to bed, I hope to hear good news in the morning. I'm kind of terrified. I unbookmarked this thread 3 weeks ago because I was getting stomachaches reading it. Bernie not doing well would kind of send me into a stupor.

the first month of 2020 has been absolutely brutal to me for personal reasons that have nothing to do with politics, i am so emotionally fried already that i don't know how the gently caress i could handle sanders losing iowa because i really genuinely feel that if he loses iowa, at least to biden, then it's all over

hopefully i don't have to figure out how to cope with that reality but i'm still a total goddamn wreck right now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Good thing we have universal health coverage! ... ...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Failed Imagineer posted:

What happened on 2016 election night? Did some goons get perma'ed from life?
I don't know about the forums, but I had to talk to friends who were acting like the president has a little button in his desk drawer that launches the nukes. A nontrivial number of people were genuinely in crisis.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/brianneDMR/status/1224389145864392707

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not gonna lie, pretty worried about tonight.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Not all of us have energy to spare so ngl it's extremely frustrating that posters itt are trying to bully me into sending energy I dont have to a candidate I frankly am not that crazy about.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

bad username/post combo

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Calibanibal posted:

Not all of us have energy to spare so ngl it's extremely frustrating that posters itt are trying to bully me into sending energy I dont have to a candidate I frankly am not that crazy about.

Put on some socks and scooch around on the carpet for a minute, it'll charge you right up

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Calibanibal posted:

strong vegeta energy from this post

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Bernie’s gonna win

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_35a7sn6ds

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Be optimistic. You have nothing to lose but your chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this makes me sad since Miranda almost certainly doesn't back Sanders.