Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
DxM is a game that gets the Armored Core parts down half way and then flubs the rest. Customization, control and feel are all tremendous. Mission design, unlike the good Armored Core's which are as much puzzles as shoot all the guys missions, is extremely simple and barely varied at all across the length of the campaign.

If you've been waiting for the next Armored Core this isn't it but it's also not say, Front Mission Evolved. You could do worse but it's daftly overpriced for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

daftly overpriced for what it is.

See also:90 percent of the Switch game library.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm cold on the Arkham games after Arkham Asylum (which was great, but I liked the Predator segments a lot more than the melee combat*), and quite liked Orc Politics Simulator and the sequel. Both're played out though.

On the other hand I know The Surge only by name, and vague impressions of the first one being kinda poor. I'll look up the second one, but from Xaris' description it sounds neat.

* mostly for the satisfaction of getting down to one poor terrified bastard and toying with him. They have guns and I'm Batman, I'm allowed :colbert:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Pwnstar posted:

Fallen Order felt weird to me because I'm seeing my friend Cameron straight up magically put into a game instead of just a video game man that he voices.

you're friends with ginger Jedi twink IRL? hmm

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

gently caress yeah, the Switch version is four times as expensive in my region.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any idea when they reveal the Humble Choice for the next month? I thought it would be today.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

anilEhilated posted:

Any idea when they reveal the Humble Choice for the next month? I thought it would be today.

First Friday of the month is what I found when I went looking earlier.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm cold on the Arkham games after Arkham Asylum (which was great, but I liked the Predator segments a lot more than the melee combat*), and quite liked Orc Politics Simulator and the sequel. Both're played out though.

On the other hand I know The Surge only by name, and vague impressions of the first one being kinda poor. I'll look up the second one, but from Xaris' description it sounds neat.

* mostly for the satisfaction of getting down to one poor terrified bastard and toying with him. They have guns and I'm Batman, I'm allowed :colbert:

The Surge 2 is definitely better than the first. The combat takes a little getting used to, and targeting can be a little tricky, but once I got it, it felt great. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a tough but fair Soulsborne.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

What is going on right now:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/the-wonderful-101-remastered-announced-for-switch-ps4-and-pc-with-kickstarter-campaign

"At the base funding goal of $50,000, The Wonderful 101: Remastered will release for Switch, and at $250,000 and $500,000, it will release for PC via Steam and PlayStation 4, respectively. An Xbox One version is not a visible stretch goal, but director Hideki Kamiya suggested that it will be in an interview with Gematsu."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

3 more announcements coming (when? who knows) looks like: https://four.platinumgames.com/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cowcaster posted:

3 more announcements coming (when? who knows) looks like: https://four.platinumgames.com/

one of these is probably a mobile game (they're on the list of studios supporting Apple Arcade), but I assume the two others will come to PC

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

OutOfPrint posted:

The Surge 2 is definitely better than the first. The combat takes a little getting used to, and targeting can be a little tricky, but once I got it, it felt great. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a tough but fair Soulsborne.

I'll second any recommendation for The Surge 2, and I never even played the first. It's a big, colorful mess of robot limbs and neon swords and crazy parrying.

I rolled through the Weeklong Deals again and found some real good stuff people should be playing, like Nova Drift and Brigador. I've got a whole list of recommendations (and a bunch of garbage to point and laugh at) right over here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

iGestalt posted:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/the-wonderful-101-remastered-announced-for-switch-ps4-and-pc-with-kickstarter-campaign

"At the base funding goal of $50,000, The Wonderful 101: Remastered will release for Switch, and at $250,000 and $500,000, it will release for PC via Steam and PlayStation 4, respectively. An Xbox One version is not a visible stretch goal, but director Hideki Kamiya suggested that it will be in an interview with Gematsu."
How is that going to work on the PC? Drawing with a mouse is godawful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'll second any recommendation for The Surge 2, and I never even played the first. It's a big, colorful mess of robot limbs and neon swords and crazy parrying.
The Surge 2 is to The Surge as Dark Souls is to Demons' Souls, if that helps any. Neither are bad games, but The Surge 2 is just bigger and better in every sense you could reasonably ask for.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think I might replay sleeping dogs. I never finished the nightmare in North point dlc, but dang I love how ridiculous the game is. Conroy is the best. Or whoever the non-jackie sidekick is.

The surge 2 is good, and available dlc free on gog

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

anilEhilated posted:

It's not like you're drawing anything more complex than basic shapes. Lines and circles, not the Mona Lisa.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cardiovorax posted:

The Surge 2 is to The Surge as Dark Souls is to Demons' Souls, if that helps any. Neither are bad games, but The Surge 2 is just bigger and better in every sense you could reasonably ask for.

Personally I think Surge 2 vs Surge 1 is about 50% as much of a catastrophe as Shadow Warrior 2 vs Shadow Warrior 1. Yeah the gameplay is better, in some ways, worse in others. But jesus did they gently caress up everything else. Surge 1 is atmospheric, has character and an actual story. Surge 2 is....a mess. It's still playable and even fun for just the gameplay, but there's just nothing there if you need something other than a decently competent dark souls-ish combat system to keep your attention.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DatonKallandor posted:

Personally I think Surge 2 vs Surge 1 is about 50% as much of a catastrophe as Shadow Warrior 2 vs Shadow Warrior 1. Yeah the gameplay is better, in some ways, worse in others. But jesus did they gently caress up everything else. Surge 1 is atmospheric, has character and an actual story. Surge 2 is....a mess.
I'll be first to admit that I really can't say a lot of positive things in regards to the plot, if only because I never even managed to really find it before life got in the way and I put my own playthrough on ice. That was quite a bit into the game, so that says something. The Surge 1 definitely has the stronger narrative.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Going by my memory of DS1, Sekiro is pretty linear in comparison, which I consider a good thing. Theme parks over sandboxes personality, me; I find aimless wandering and uncertainty about where to go more annoying than interesting (Breath of the Wild and very, very few other games excepted). How's Surge 2 sit on that scale?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Going by my memory of DS1, Sekiro is pretty linear in comparison, which I consider a good thing. Theme parks over sandboxes personality, me; I find aimless wandering and uncertainty about where to go more annoying than interesting (Breath of the Wild and very, very few other games excepted). How's Surge 2 sit on that scale?

It sits somewhere in between. It has the looping paths that everyone always screams about in 1 but also those paths tend to just all branch off linear paths from area to area and fight to fight. I was super impressed, even as someone who liked Surge 1, just how much of an improvement Surge 2 is in almost every way, including some good changes that Souls-likes that come after should steal. It is a purely gameplay-driven experience though, the story is for poo poo and the world is relatively boring.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Bayonetta 2 + 3

:pray:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Bayo 2 + 3 are unfortunately extremely unlikely as those were fully funded by Nintendo and Nintendo wants their stuff completely locked down.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
God Hand remaster? Do they have rights for that one?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orv posted:

It sits somewhere in between. It has the looping paths that everyone always screams about in 1 but also those paths tend to just all branch off linear paths from area to area and fight to fight. I was super impressed, even as someone who liked Surge 1, just how much of an improvement Surge 2 is in almost every way, including some good changes that Souls-likes that come after should steal. It is a purely gameplay-driven experience though, the story is for poo poo and the world is relatively boring.

That doesn't sound like too bad a compromise on the maps

I like a good story and interesting setting, but I'm not really bothered by bad or absent ones either; I'm all about the gameplay. That said if it has boring music I'm gonna lose interest faster; weird, but it's been consistently true for me. I can listen to clips of that for myself, though.

(hope it doesn't have bad English VA. Like fingernails on the blackboard of my mind, I'd rather have it absent or foreign-to-me)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

anilEhilated posted:

Have you ever used mouse gestures?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

DatonKallandor posted:

Personally I think Surge 2 vs Surge 1 is about 50% as much of a catastrophe as Shadow Warrior 2 vs Shadow Warrior 1. Yeah the gameplay is better, in some ways, worse in others. But jesus did they gently caress up everything else. Surge 1 is atmospheric, has character and an actual story. Surge 2 is....a mess. It's still playable and even fun for just the gameplay, but there's just nothing there if you need something other than a decently competent dark souls-ish combat system to keep your attention.

also it's about the only game from a studio with so many years of experience that fucks up visuals to the point where they constantly hindering gameplay.

The Surge 2 has the worst possible lighting and post of the last decade. It was really exhausting to look at most times.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

:lol: that they're making more money on the Kickstarter than the whole of the sales of the original game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

One more on Surge 2 before I shut up. I'm watching the SkillUp review and he really really hates the camera, especially on bosses. And it does look pretty dire compared to Sekiro, where I was never more infuriated than when the drat thing got caught in a corner and I ate Owl's goddamn firecrackers :argh:

So is it really that bad in Surge 2?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

iGestalt posted:

quote:

Dangen Entertainment is helping us

That's kind of a bummer.

The game itself doesn't really interest me but I always kind of like following big Kickstarter projects.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

drat horror queefs posted:

:lol: that they're making more money on the Kickstarter than the whole of the sales of the original game

W101 didn't even break 100k sales, did it? Platinum has the worst luck.

Anno posted:

That's kind of a bummer.

The game itself doesn't really interest me but I always kind of like following big Kickstarter projects.

Platinum has the absolute worst luck.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, the worst games.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Samuringa posted:

W101 didn't even break 100k sales, did it? Platinum has the worst luck.

Well it came out like 10 months after the WiiU launched which was definitely a point in time where the console Had No Games. WiiU didn't get great until like September 2016.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

One more on Surge 2 before I shut up. I'm watching the SkillUp review and he really really hates the camera, especially on bosses. And it does look pretty dire compared to Sekiro, where I was never more infuriated than when the drat thing got caught in a corner and I ate Owl's goddamn firecrackers :argh:

I don't recall any major problems with it but that's of course anecdotal. There are a lot less giant gently caress-off robot bosses that your camera gets stuck on like the first game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess we'll see how dire it is then, the rest of the game is getting top marks in my brain otherwise

That and there's always refunds :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Propaganda Hour posted:

Well it came out like 10 months after the WiiU launched which was definitely a point in time where the console Had No Games. WiiU didn't get great until like September 2016.

The WiiU also sold a tenth as much as the Wii did, and an eighth as much as the PS3/Xbox 360. Hell, the PS4 sold more units in 2019 than the WiiU did ever. By about 50 percent. Anything that was a WiiU exclusive and not made by Nintendo was basically doomed.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Last day of the Europa Universalis 4 humble bundle and I'm still unsure about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Last day of the Europa Universalis 4 humble bundle and I'm still unsure about it.

buy the 1$ tier and start playing it. if you still aren't convinced, don't. if you are convinced, buy the rest of it, it should let you upgrade no prob.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't care what anybody says, I loving love that song and this video made me extremely happy :)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

I never had an issue with camera. Felt pretty typical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Terminally Bored posted:

God Hand remaster? Do they have rights for that one?

No, Capcom owns that (and it was before Platinum was formed).