Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bust Rodd posted:

Didn’t they make the coolest and best party member a $10 paid DLC

Sort of.

They decided to gate a major part of the game and narrative behind a $10 paywall and call it DLC. IIRC, it was already on the disk, though and was obviously meant to be part of the game all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wasn't it a pack-in DLC from the times of when devs used to include online passes and DLC codes to curb used purchases?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Policenaut posted:

Wasn't it a pack-in DLC from the times of when devs used to include online passes and DLC codes to curb used purchases?

Nope, Javik was tenbux for everyone

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

VideoGames posted:

You can just call me dumb if you want.

Don’t let a person who voluntarily played me3 three times make you feel bad about yourself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Policenaut posted:

The darkest period in gaming IMO.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The survivors speak of Project Ten Dollar in hushed tones, if they speak at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Sort of.

They decided to gate a major part of the game and narrative behind a $10 paywall and call it DLC. IIRC, it was already on the disk, though and was obviously meant to be part of the game all along.

this is going back a while, but i think patrick weekes (who was giving informal post-mortems of the game on the penny arcade forums before he got muzzled) said that javik's content only existed on the disc in a skeletal state and bioware was still coding in the rest of it in the time between "finishing" the game and it actually hitting shelves

these days that would mean a free day-one patch, but as mentioned above, dlc in that time was even more exploitative than it is now, and with loving EA in the equation there was no chance of anything different

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

FemShep is the canonical shepherd don’t @ me

Mark Meer does the paragon options better imo, along with the greatest line in the whole series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDCCKWuW-yc

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of little good moments in ME3, but they all wind up getting overshadowed by big stupid things like Kai Leng, the truth about the Reapers, and the magical child. There are also a ton of nasty seams showing from the fact that a lot of writers were swapped out between games, so none of the foreshadowing of ME2 was picked up and the way that the game integrates your past decisions gets really clumsy. It's really a game worth playing at least 80% of if you're at all a fan of the other games in the series or want the ability to decide the fate of planets.

Also I just really dig the gameplay. Cover-based combat with the ability to command your squadmates to tactical positions and use their abilities in tandem with your own. Charge and shoot people in the face, throw down turrets, splitting your enemies' focus in between tossing blasts of fire and ice, pop some slow-mo to get your headshots right, toss your enemies around like a wizard, or just bundle up in some armor. I would've played through a lot more if I didn't get all indecisive and awkward about the weird dating sim part.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

Mark Meer does the paragon options better imo, along with the greatest line in the whole series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDCCKWuW-yc

I'm kinda sad there wasn't some payoff to the tune of a mob of angry shopowners for doing that for ALL the stores :sigh:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
my dream binary moral choice game would have the good path be pure drama and the evil path pure comedy

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry to hear that :/ really sucks. I haven’t had that issue yet luckily.

its misunderstanding bug. dont let it make you think you have it, some of the emails and trigger requirements can be confusing as they are in the game for the later majimas and neither the game nor online guides really make any of it clear due it how dynamic and unique your majima progression will be.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

precision posted:

Nope, Javik was tenbux for everyone

no it wasnt, it was included in n7 editions as a pack in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There’s no bigger bummer than making a post that you think is an effing masterstroke and no one even notices :cry:

Well I guess I made myself laugh so that’s something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vikar Jerome posted:

no it wasnt, it was included in n7 editions as a pack in.

Well then I got screwed cause my copy didn't have it

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a popular thing for a while where a lot of physical games came with DLC bonuses because big publishers hate hate hate hate hate used game sales. ME2 had the Cerberus Network as the thing you get when you buy the game new instead of used, which included a bunch of weapons and armor pieces as well as :zaeed:, the Hammerhead, and the Normandy Crash site.

But, my code that was in the fresh new box didn't work. Some kind of bug with the website or the system or whatever. The same thing would later happen to me with the Harley DLC in Arkham City. One of the biggest things that tempted me to pirate some :filez:, especially because there was a lot of DLC content in ME2. And then later a whole lot of DLC in ME3, like half a game's worth.

It seems like lately a lot of games wind up bundling all of their extraneous DLCs into one complete package which later goes on sale to like $15. It's all crazy.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
ME2 was the thing that got me to actually buy the crappy wifi dongle on my 360 back in the day. I knew I made the right choice seconds after being introduced to Zaeed Massani.

It's funny that people used stuff like that and the Shale stuff in DAO as examples of corporate nickel-and-dime bullshit but all the Cerberus Network stuff that got added to ME2 over the life of the game was an insanely good value compared to DLC today, where each of the weapons added would be like $2 add-ons and Zaeed would be a separate $15 purchase.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I bought that drat PS2 modem just for FF11

I also stopped using dialup for it lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

ME2 was the thing that got me to actually buy the crappy wifi dongle on my 360 back in the day. I knew I made the right choice seconds after being introduced to Zaeed Massani.

It's funny that people used stuff like that and the Shale stuff in DAO as examples of corporate nickel-and-dime bullshit but all the Cerberus Network stuff that got added to ME2 over the life of the game was an insanely good value compared to DLC today, where each of the weapons added would be like $2 add-ons and Zaeed would be a separate $15 purchase.
It was corporate nickel and dime bullshit, that was just before they realized they could just do it without the pretense of pretending it was about used games and that people would just buy that stuff willingly even if it wasn't a particularly good value. That's back when every EA game's multiplayer was behind the project ten dollar code.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

veni veni veni posted:

There’s no bigger bummer than making a post that you think is an effing masterstroke and no one even notices :cry:

Well I guess I made myself laugh so that’s something.

I missed it the first time because it was really small on mobile, but you're right that was an A+ post

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Hey. Anyone know why The Heist DLC isn't available to download (without repaying for it) with Spiderman GOTY edition? I know they had some issues when it first came out, but surely they were fixed by now? Am I being dumb?
e; the other 2 DLCs show up fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

I missed it the first time because it was really small on mobile, but you're right that was an A+ post

Thank you goonsir

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I got the best ending in mass effect 3 which is to say I never finished it

Mad effect Andromeda was the most fun ive had playing a mass effect game

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

I got the best ending in mass effect 3 which is to say I never finished it

Mad effect Andromeda was the most fun ive had playing a mass effect game

I really enjoyed Andromeda. Not as much as the original trilogy, but I had a good time with it. Kind of dissapointed they’re probably never going to wrap up the plot hooks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wonderful 101 Remastered is a thing, on Kickstarter. If it breaks 500k USD they'll do a PS4 version.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
While looking up YouTube for Hyper Light Drifter secret item locations, I came across this thing about how the creator has a life threatening heart disease, which explains a lot about the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUT5SBZkVys

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

It's already over 100k 30 minutes in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Not having the option to gently caress the Rachni Queen was the wrong call.

Personally, I thought the bigger and more obvious missed opportunity was the lack of a Harbinger route.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Quoting this since it got lost in the churn:

Darth Walrus posted:

So, what are especially beautiful games that got released lately? I'm talking a marriage of excellent use of the PS4's graphics engine and great, creative art design.

Also, are there any other modern games that have a progression system similar to Remnant? I really enjoy how everything you have - weapons, abilities, even stat-boosts - feels like something you've earned, and how the RNG elements mean that few characters are exactly alike and players are encouraged to help each other out to get rare and obscure goodies.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Apparently the new Need for Speed was pretty good? Did any goons play it? I liked those games in the PS3 era but the two before Heat were so awful I didn't even pay attention to this one. I'm hearing it's the best since Most Wanted.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Geo Fixer posted:

It's already over 100k 30 minutes in.

They hit the 250k Steam goal already. :eyepop:

e: and PS4 goal passed. drat, son.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 3, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I hope you don't get the bug where you can't find Majima because I read on here that someone else got it too and it just killed my interest like half-way through :(

Also KM I hope you play Judgement as well, I feel like you'd dig it

That was me and I ultimately did find him. it seems like most people ultimately do, as it's just about story advancement. I think you got like extremely super unlucky and are one of the few people to actually get a bug that fucks up Majima Everywhere

anyway I beat Kiwami yesterday and it owned so I started Judgment immediately afterwards so this was clearly a good post even if it was directed at another yakuzaposter

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just watched the Doom Eternal intro and now I'm loving pumped again.

There's maybe only three or four games this year that are gonna get me going, but hoo boy do they ever.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That PS5 rumor list had the Sony event this week, didn't it? Like, wednesday?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I just bought Yakuza 0 and 6 and it's not *just* because of the glowing praise in this thread and now have a PS4 to play them on.

Couple years ago, I was in Tokyo and found myself in Kabukicho to see the Toho Theater with the lifesized Godzilla head on top. Right across the street is a restaurant called Tonkatsu Niimura, where I had dinner.
They had a wall of photos of celebrities who had dined there, and one was a game screenshot. I asked who that was, and was told it was the main character of the Yakuza games, and in the latest installment they'd actually put the restaurant in the game. My phone was dead so I didn't get a photo of the photos.
Anyhow that combined with the discussion here is one of the big reasons I got a PS4. I'm hoping my math is right and Yakuza 6 is the game with the restaurant in it, even if it's just street detail.

(cribbed from google)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In case anyone is wondering what the game is like, it's like if the guys who created Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, and Devil May Cry all got together to make a Super Sentai Pikmin.

It's real good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else hyped for Hunt: Showdown on the 22nd? I'm actually really looking forward to finally playing it. Been curious about it since it was first announced for PC a couple of years ago. Looks cool as hell imo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SlothfulCobra posted:

In case anyone is wondering what the game is like, it's like if the guys who created Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, and Devil May Cry all got together to make a Super Sentai Pikmin.

It's real good.

One of the guys who played a whole lot of DMC games and wrote one of the guides for it as well as playing a bunch of other slash 'em up games to a high level fully rated W101 so I'm looking forward to playing it for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kentucky Route 0 is living up to its hype. The writing and presentation are just fantastic. It's a beautiful melancholy dream -- it reminds me of that Achewood story arc where Ray goes into a hallucinatory coma. I also appreciate that it will happily let you miss side stuff, it helps keep me attentive and engaged. I just finished Act 2 yesterday, and I'm going to replay it because I happened to pick up the tourism flyer but totally forgot to visit any of the locations on the Zero that it described.