Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I can hope because once upon a time Ubisoft made Prince of Persia the Sands of Time then for years became terrible peaking ith the disaster of Watch_Dogs and then suddenly became decent again making not quite Witcher games.

also I just found out they're making a new Settlers game, please please be good it hasn't been brilliant since Settlers 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers_(2020_video_game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Man, Blizzard used to be so loving good :sigh:
I used to get so loving angry at how much money they'd leave on the table. (I used to be angry all the time, heh) Making bullshit like Titan and whatever when WoW was this constant revenue stream entirely predicated on simply pushing content. Like subs would spike and then be allowed to fall off in the two years between expansions when they could, you know, actually re-invest in their cashcow. Halving your subs over a year is millions of dollars you just allowed to slip away.

While bitching about this I had a conversation with a friend who dated a developer in Blizzard and apparently the problem wasn't what I thought it was. The problem was, from this telling, that Blizzard was absolutely addicted to meetings. Meetings and committees and everyone getting their say and more meetings instead of doing anything. Activision infecting them is bad, but apparently the corporate culture was just moronic more than a decade ago. It's why everything takes so long.

And honestly? None of their products since WoW have really been that great. WoW has some real stinker years, but playing up through the recent expansions in 2018, it's astounding how much they've built in that game. But if you released anything in their last decade of development without it being Blizzard badged, none of it would be considered special. D2x is probably for me the high point of the company, and that was a colossal mess that they never cleaned up so D3 was I think an entirely rebooted project with an entirely new team? I stopped following them but still, wow.

Branding is always great to talk about in this forum since you can open the memorial opinions thread and see how loving broken brains get when exposed to a brand long enough. Humans just do not cope with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Didn't Ubisoft just cancel at least one game that was far into production (might have been Skull & Bones, the Black Flag style naval combat game)?

I hope that's not a bad sign of things not working well there, because apart from Farcry 5 having some apparently bizarre design decisions that caused me to give it a miss despite enjoying 3 & 4, they've really produced some tremendously fun games recently in Watch_Dogs 2, AC Origins and Odyssey.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't Ubisoft just cancel at least one game that was far into production (might have been Skull & Bones, the Black Flag style naval combat game)?

I hope that's not a bad sign of things not working well there, because apart from Farcry 5 having some apparently bizarre design decisions that caused me to give it a miss despite enjoying 3 & 4, they've really produced some tremendously fun games recently in Watch_Dogs 2, AC Origins and Odyssey.

doing googling Skull & Bones has not been cancelled yet, thank gently caress

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh I thought Skull and Bones was the pirateboat Xbox exclusive that's been out for a while. Just let me Black Flag some ships, assholes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ubisoft should cancel far cry because it's so goddamn soulless

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cavauro posted:

ubisoft should cancel far cry because it's so goddamn soulless

Nah they just need to do another game like Blood Dragon(and rerelease that one for current gen consoles)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I am still confused Blood Dragon didn't launch a consistent line of goofy take spin-offs. Asset development is so expensive and re-using the engine / scripting just seemed like a great way to squeeze more from their investment while appealing to a different crowd.

I guess the one Far Cry had an end of the world spin-off and the other was the same region except you were cave persons?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lid posted:

also I just found out they're making a new Settlers game, please please be good it hasn't been brilliant since Settlers 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers_(2020_video_game)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The good spinoff is 5 hours long and wears out its welcome in that time

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Diablo3 was the last good Blizzard game and even that had to have a lot of post release TLC.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I play Overwatch because my out of state friends and I don’t know any other comparable things to play and voice chat with each other. We’ve tried looter shooters and they just don’t work.

Anyway we stopped enjoying it like a year ago.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

super mario 64

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i start playing breath of the wild and from a technical standpoint it isn't really different from just whatever open world game but it feels very fresh and rules. i don't know why. sorry. climbing

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

my friends and i play mario 64 on twitch for 100 whole viewrs and we say swears and make hosed up noises. true gamers!!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

I've been meaning to make sure I see "1917" while it's still in theaters and since i have no interest in the NFL I figure this afternoon is as good a time to go as any. Gonna get the whole drat place to myself

E: oh gently caress yeah it's still in the big fancy format too.

OK yeah it loving rules. Go see it on a big screen because it is 100% worth it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think they canceled anything (at least not as far as I recall), but I do believe they delayed some upcoming titles after the disappointing reception to the most recent Ghost Recon game. I also remember reading something about how they did a big reshuffle so that most of their main franchises have their own individual heads now, instead of all of them reporting to the same person (with the result being a pretty cookie-cutter approach to all their titles). Or something like that, anyhow.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Far Cry is definitely lacking soul but it's one of the best Co-Op shooter experiences out there so I hope they keep making the main series of them so that my co-op friend and I can keep spending like 30+ hours running around getting run over by civilians in cars and blowing ourselves up by accident via rear end in a top hat physics

Cruising around taking outposts can be a lot of fun

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

yea ok posted:

my friends and i play mario 64 on twitch for 100 whole viewrs and we say swears and make hosed up noises. true gamers!!!

that sounds pretty fun, ngl

I think I signed up at twitch once, ages ago, but it was just to comment on my online friends’ streams, I’ve never streamed a thing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I came up with a pretty good gimmick for a twitch thing but I never got around to getting the gorilla suit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Captain Magic posted:

I play Overwatch because my out of state friends and I don’t know any other comparable things to play and voice chat with each other. We’ve tried looter shooters and they just don’t work.

Anyway we stopped enjoying it like a year ago.

Are you on PC or Console?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Farcry has some of the worst and most stupid stories of any games I've ever played but holy gently caress was the gameplay an absolute blast. Never bothered with 5 since apparently they force the lovely storyline on you at regular points, whereas in 3 or 4 you could often gently caress around for dozens of hours if not more before having to sit through a badly written main mission.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

drrockso20 posted:

Are you on PC or Console?

I have both but we play on PS4

Edit:

I don’t want to make it all political but I have a lot of feelings about tomorrow’s primary. What feel-good activities are y’all doing to cope? I want to bite the faces off of everyone I see do you think that will help???

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 3, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Captain Magic posted:

I have both but we play on PS4

Well might be worth the effort to convince them to switch to PC so you guys can play Team Fortress 2 or something

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Farcry has some of the worst and most stupid stories of any games I've ever played but holy gently caress was the gameplay an absolute blast. Never bothered with 5 since apparently they force the lovely storyline on you at regular points, whereas in 3 or 4 you could often gently caress around for dozens of hours if not more before having to sit through a badly written main mission.

If I remember correctly 4 did the same poo poo where it basically drugged you and left you in a cave regularly in the story

5 just cranked that up a notch by sending the assholes out to drug you by force rather than you having to talk to someone to get drugged

Hopefully they remove all that forced drugging poo poo because it sucks either way and brings the gameplay to a grinding halt each time

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My internal monologue post-Super Bowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSvFsM8jW0

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Wait, AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY has an actual title? I was not informed of this

also put it on spotify you cowards

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

The only example I can think of is Super Mario 2. In Japan they released Super Mario 2 in 1986 and it was just a new set of levels in the style of the first game. We didn't see that games in the US until 1993 when it was included in Super Mario All-Stars as "The Lost Levels". It was considered too hard for western gamers at launch.

Super Mario 2 also wasn't very good and Doki Doki Panic was a much better game that if I recall correctly, Miyamoto was more directly involved with than SM2 anyway?

Like I get what they went for with SM2, it was a game that was meant to be played by people that had been playing Super Mario Bros every day and give those players new challenges but it has a bunch of stupid poo poo in it. It's like a Proto-Kaizo, except without save states.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Lost Levels were great and I'm convinced children in the west that enjoyed SMB1 would have also enjoyed SMB2, drat the corporate overlords.

Brut fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 3, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the real mario 2 took 4 months to make and was the first dlc priced as a full game. the fake mario 2 was another game re-skinned and re-sold at full price. they are both the origins of the worst business practices in the video game industry

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Been playing Dark Souls 2 since it's the only one I haven't seen most of. FROMSOFT just makes games I enjoy exploring.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Spikegal posted:

Been playing Dark Souls 2 since it's the only one I haven't seen most of. FROMSOFT just makes games I enjoy exploring.

I just finished Souls 1, replaying 3 and Bloodborne right now. I think Bloodborne might be the best game narrative of all time, the lore is intense. I might replay Sekiro too but I have also not played through Souls 2, the health mechanic turned me off when it came out but i'd probably not mind it now.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I would die for the Baby Nut

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I would turn babynut into peanut butter to feed baby Yoda

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
You know what blows my mind?

John Turturro has never been nominated for an Oscar.

Not for Miller's Crossing, not for Barton Fink, not for Brain Donors, not for Quiz Show, not for Do the Right Thing, and not for The Big Lebowski.

Wow.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the gently caress is a baby nut and did that one guy shoot up the white house yet

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'm tired of the baby yoda. I'm ready for a new baby, one that's a nut

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Finished the second half of Bojack Horseman. The penultimate episode was Requiem for a Dream levels of "That was so raw I can't ever watch this again"

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

finished up my third divine beast in breath of the wild (the flying one)

i think that was my favorite dungeon yet. boss was a bit of a pain but i'm already running around with the master sword so it didn't take too many hits to down. i might actually finish this someday yet!

Spikegal posted:

Eat My Fuc posted:

I just finished Souls 1, replaying 3 and Bloodborne right now. I think Bloodborne might be the best game narrative of all time, the lore is intense. I might replay Sekiro too but I have also not played through Souls 2, the health mechanic turned me off when it came out but i'd probably not mind it now.

agreed on BB. sekiro has the best combat, but everything about bloodborne landed absolutely perfect with me. they're all wonderful games to wander around though. i love wandering games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

wait does the master sword not wear out like the rest of the swords you find?