Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Yeah it's the drodo one. I haven't been following the meta really, there's new units and I like some of them but I still hyper roll for kunkka or tidehunter or werewolves or whatever when the time is right. It seems to be more important to pull a 2 star assassin early on than anything, with one I can get my bank interest game up and just laugh my way to the end.

The units seem to all be balanced in such a way that you only really need to push past lvl 8 if you want to roll hard for legendary dudes.

I tore through a one hundred health game using a kitchen sink set-up, I think I had base goblin and mech buffs and that was it. It seems very friendly to people that know the basics of how money and levels work without needing to know the minutia of "this unit better than this one in this specific circumstance".

E: also the only cash items are just cosmetics, I threw five bucks of Google play survey money at them because I was having a good time but it's not necessary to do anything at all. It's a good set-up honestly. Let's you know exactly who cares too much about the game the second you look at their board.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szkud

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Kentucky Route Zero is finished and on consoles too I urge everyone to try it

they mentioned my home town in V and I got really excited

~(‾▿‾)~

ToxicFrog

food court bailiff posted:

wait lol the setting is from another game? that's most of what i liked about it

i should check out the iOS version

Yeah Seas and Skies are both in the same setting (and written by the same people) as Fallen London (which I think used to be called Echo Bazaar?), a f2p mostly textual browser game

FL can also get a bit tedious and grindy at times depending on what you're doing, but it doesn't have the filler of spending ages sailing around the unterzee either and you're limited in how many actions you can take per day so it's harder to burn out

vanisher

New Animal Crossing coming out that I'm required to play

Yinlock

vanisher posted:

i haven't touched animal crossing since they got rid of nes games after the first one

it was fun hunting those down then playing wario's woods

Heather Papps

hello friend

Yinlock posted:

i haven't touched animal crossing since they got rid of nes games after the first one

it was fun hunting those down then playing wario's woods

new leaf saved my life

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Yinlock

Heather Papps posted:

new leaf saved my life

that game could've used more wario's woods imo

Heather Papps

hello friend

Yinlock posted:

that game could've used more wario's woods imo

i do not disagree. printing out cards to scan was a fun time!

szkud

Heather Papps posted:

new leaf saved my life

it's the best. still visit my NL town. 100%d the fossils, missed one fish this fall, so I wont finish that before the new one, but i might pop in.

~(‾▿‾)~

Pro Target

Pro Target posted:

Still grindin' on Crimzon Clover Arcade Mode... this game is not easy

I'm in the top 100 for stage 1 score but can't reliably clear stage 3.. sums up my experience with this game so far

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

vanisher posted:

Heather Papps posted:

new leaf saved my life

When the new Animal Crossing drops I may not play anything else for the next few years. I may have to buy two copies and another switch because my wife is arguably more serious about animal crossing than me. Once they finish tabulating votes tonight we’ll know for sure.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

vanisher

mysterious frankie posted:

When the new Animal Crossing drops I may not play anything else for the next few years. I may have to buy two copies and another switch because my wife is arguably more serious about animal crossing than me. Once they finish tabulating votes tonight we’ll know for sure.

lol

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Scaly Haylie

albany academy posted:

Need to finish 0 -_-

i need to finish 0 but i'm so darn busy catching lizards and gay squirrels in crane games.

Pastry of the Year

I would like to recommend Fantasy Life for the 3DS to all the chill folks in this thread

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

nickhimself posted:

I've been doing a lot of racing in need for speed heat, and may have finally beaten the internet

Crossposting this achievement from the PSN thread. Very good work.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Pastry of the Year

cook serve delicious 3 is so good and hitting all my favorite buttons

see y'all at the BYOBBQ

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

on pc i killed the abyss watchers in ds3 with the help of a good buddy on the very first time (which makes sense, the hard part is the second half which is very interruptable with basic attacks so two players can smoke 'em)

on ps4 i have died to the rank dastards so many times, my hollowing is so high i am basically an angry sunburnt piece of beef jerky with a sword

szkud

mysterious frankie posted:

we're actually considering taking a vacation for the first few days. personally that sets a precedent who's consequences I am not fully prepared to follow through with

~(‾▿‾)~

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

szkud posted:

we're actually considering taking a vacation for the first few days. personally that sets a precedent who's consequences I am not fully prepared to follow through with

Someone in the games thread was saying there might be offline multiplayer and I’m like wait we can both have houses/a house and do persistent stuff/live in the same town woahwoahwoahwoah this changes everything. If I can futz around in split screen with my wife, maybe spend a bunch of time trying to make town hall play the Addams Family theme when you enter, while she airbrushes FART on t shirts, that might be it for us. We can probably drop all streaming services, because if they did it well then that will be what we do for entertainment until the next Animal Crossing comes out.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Finger Prince

I picked up the ffx remaster on sale and omfg I forgot about all the unskippable cutscenes in this game.

Rockman Reserve

Finger Prince posted:

I picked up the ffx remaster on sale and omfg I forgot about all the unskippable cutscenes in this game.

i got several hours into the vita remaster and the thing i remember most is battles feeling bad, like the way all the numbers are so low and everything has a resistance to different characters' attacks makes everything feel kind of like a slog

in other news i've got no real love for Pathfinder on the tabletop but i got pf:kingmaker for $cheap and there is an expansion with a roguelike random dungeon and i'm really kind of diggin' it

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

i got several hours into the vita remaster and the thing i remember most is battles feeling bad, like the way all the numbers are so low and everything has a resistance to different characters' attacks makes everything feel kind of like a slog

in other news i've got no real love for Pathfinder on the tabletop but i got pf:kingmaker for $cheap and there is an expansion with a roguelike random dungeon and i'm really kind of diggin' it

You can change characters in combat, and that's what you are supposed to do. It was the major gimmick in that game, if you aren't changing your characters in real time to fit the weakness for the fight FFX is a real slog of a game. If you abuse the mechanics and switch characters and gear in combat it's pretty quick. Last time I did a run through I tried to set it up so I only had 1 swing character per zone that'd I'd swap out, it makes it much more manageable.

OverKills give a lot of rewards, so if you are barely able to kill the stuff go back a zone or 2 and get some insane overkills and juice up your power level.

sig by owlhawk911

Rockman Reserve

i know how the game works but even with that it is sloooooow as helllllllll

i'm actually a little confused how you thought that needed an explanation tbh because 1) if you don't do it the game goes from "ps2 rpg slow" to "unplayably slow" and also 2) the game kind of beats you over the head with it, a lot, and nothing in FFX is skippable

wearing a lampshade

Never played an ff past 8. Don't need to.

pixaal

i know how the game works but even with that it is sloooooow as helllllllll

i'm actually a little confused how you thought that needed an explanation tbh because 1) if you don't do it the game goes from "ps2 rpg slow" to "unplayably slow" and also 2) the game kind of beats you over the head with it, a lot, and nothing in FFX is skippable

It comes up a lot that people played through the game and didn't realize they could switch characters, which is why I brought it up.

sig by owlhawk911

Rockman Reserve

pixaal posted:

It comes up a lot that people played through the game and didn't realize they could switch characters, which is why I brought it up.

:psyduck:

was it different in the OG version because in the remaster it was definitely repeated enough for my stoned-playing-RPGs-in-bed self to internalize

pixaal

:psyduck:

was it different in the OG version because in the remaster it was definitely repeated enough for my stoned-playing-RPGs-in-bed self to internalize

Most people don't read any tutorials and go yeah yeah I know what I'm doing.

I'm very much the other side and will read everything in the tutorial because they always hide some critical feature on page 4 out of 6 where they do something non-standard but everything else is boilerplate generic.

I really want games to offer a "I play a lot of games only show me tutorials for unique features to your game" setting.

sig by owlhawk911

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
unskippable cutscenes are the worst part of monster hunter, and yeah i did not read the tutorials

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Gone Fashing posted:

unskippable cutscenes are the worst part of monster hunter, and yeah i did not read the tutorials

The funny thing with MH is that even if you watch all of the tutorials there's still a ton about each weapon that you won't learn without trying every button combination with specific timings or watching a youtube video where someone tells you all of the nuances.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah lol the game is very bad at telling you the actually important things about the game, but that has also been part of the fun for me.

pixaal

I think with Mon Hun you need to actively think about what you are doing and it just takes 20-30 hours of experience with the weapon to really use it. The fights are hard intentionally you aren't going to be able to pick up a brand new weapon and just know how to use it, you need to figure out that X X O will attack, do a follow up to dodge the attack and the O attack will let you swing back into where that particular monster lands.

World does tell you in the top right what each button does at that exact moment and changes pretty frequently, but you aren't going to be looking there nor should you be. I'm never lost in what I should be doing, but I can be lost in if I need more gear or more skill (you can always just overpower it with raw skill, everything is dodgable).

sig by owlhawk911

Heather Papps

hello friend

i honestly think my favourite game is bruteforcing rules.

give me hidden values, pokemon. don't tell me that doing pullups increases my stamina, metal gear solid. stats on horses are different, and you can sorta tell by colour? cool beans botw.

the wish fulfillment i get from games is literally the ability to try the same thing 5 different ways with no lasting consequences. i have more fun dying in skyrim sneaking, then dying magicing, then dying every way till i figure out the perfect approach and it feels so good than i do "playing" "the" "game"

even figuring out nexus mod config stuff was fun for me. everything is a puzzle!

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

i honestly think my favourite game is bruteforcing rules.

give me hidden values, pokemon. don't tell me that doing pullups increases my stamina, metal gear solid. stats on horses are different, and you can sorta tell by colour? cool beans botw.

the wish fulfillment i get from games is literally the ability to try the same thing 5 different ways with no lasting consequences. i have more fun dying in skyrim sneaking, then dying magicing, then dying every way till i figure out the perfect approach and it feels so good than i do "playing" "the" "game"

even figuring out nexus mod config stuff was fun for me. everything is a puzzle!

Spend more time trying to jump over the mountain in skyrim than it would to just walk around it.

I love to explore every little nook and cranny in games, looking for secrets. And I'm nearly always disappointed. When you finally manage to get up on the roof of that building that has no obvious purpose or way of getting up there, and there's no treasure or hidden message? So disappointing. That's where games like dragon quest and FF (some of them, anyway) and Borderlands get it so right. Even if it's just a box with a bit of money in it, it's like a reward from the designers who are like, well I'm glad you noticed that map anomaly and spent an hour trying to get at it, and finally did, and there's literally no reason for you to be up here, but we put a box there anyway, just for you. Congratulations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have a compulsion to ALWAYS check behind waterfalls, and the rare time i find a thing, or tunnel

oooooooooooo that's good video game

Finger Prince

Like, no offense to folks who dig it, I'm sure they're great games, and different strokes and all that, but folks were going on about the mass effect games in another forum, about the strong interpersonal relationships you build with the characters and stuff... And I genuinely am more interested in whether I can drive my moon buggy to the top of that precipice over there, and what I might find or see there. Oh, map glitch! Cool! I liked playing Andromeda. It was a fun game, and I don't get why everyone hates it. But I guess if they're looking to develop strong feelings for the characters who maybe aren't written as well as they were the older games (I don't know, I only played andromeda) instead of trying to find secret spots in the mountains, or hidden areas, or doing cool jumps in the moon buggy, they might not like it as much.

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

i have a compulsion to ALWAYS check behind waterfalls, and the rare time i find a thing, or tunnel

gently caress yeah! Even if it's just a useless skull!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

gently caress yeah! Even if it's just a useless skull!

in my first skyrim play through i collected every skull i could, and dumped all of them in my thanes (lydia?) room in windhelm

at a certain point i just gave up on that house because when i entered it she'd try and get out of her room and there would be an avalanche of skulls that made the game unhappy.

no such thing as a useless skull!

(a fun trick for roleplaying, tabletop or wrpgs, is pick a thing and be weird about it. i had a halfling ranger obsessed with collecting as many arrows as possible once and it made filling out the characters personality way easier.)

pixaal

The only time I played SKyrim I used console to give myself insane straight so I could loot everything, but I mostly collected any and all bottles of booze. I had several thousand maybe even a million I dunno, but I dropped them all in my bedroom. There were so many that I couldn't walk through the door without the objects interacting and tanking my frame rate, then I would fall through the floor and clip right outside of the game world.

The bedroom was forever unusable. Which was just as well I was only missing 1 or 2 achievements at that point so it wasn't unusable for long. After I got all the achievements I never played Skyrim again.

sig by owlhawk911

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Heather Papps posted:

Breath of the Wild was full of this stuff and boy was it a vimeo grame

Really liked the optional bosses and stuff in Control, too. Lots of interesting stuff to be found once you get Levitate and can just float around looking for secrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year

Finger Prince posted:

Spend more time trying to jump over the mountain in skyrim than it would to just walk around it.

I love to explore every little nook and cranny in games, looking for secrets. And I'm nearly always disappointed. When you finally manage to get up on the roof of that building that has no obvious purpose or way of getting up there, and there's no treasure or hidden message? So disappointing. That's where games like dragon quest and FF (some of them, anyway) and Borderlands get it so right. Even if it's just a box with a bit of money in it, it's like a reward from the designers who are like, well I'm glad you noticed that map anomaly and spent an hour trying to get at it, and finally did, and there's literally no reason for you to be up here, but we put a box there anyway, just for you. Congratulations.

I believe it was Trails in the Sky, or a game in that series, that had a unique, jokey message for every single treasure chest in the entire game if you chose to reexamine it after it was empty.

Games where the developers clearly love the art and craft of making the game, and the idea of the end users' happiness/joy, stand out so far in front of their peers. Sometimes those games don't even have the same level of budget and polish as better-known ones, but it doesn't end up mattering.