Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Is there an at-home “Swiss army” reader, or would it mean buying something new for every make?

We’ve got Mazda, Ford, Dodge and Kia.

Generic ODB2 data is generic ODB2 data and basically any new-ish scanner should work on anything. If you want multi-manufacturer ABS and SRS stuff you should consider the one I posted in another thread yesterday: https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL619-Autolink-Automotive-Diagnostic/dp/B0091DJWV0/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=autel+619&qid=1579105456&sr=8-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got AutoEnginuity with the GM plugin, which is another option. You've got to pay up for each MFR, but it provides dealer-level stuff for the brands they support. Not cheap, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I know OBDFusion has manufacturer specific stuff available as IAP, but they don't have my car, so I haven't tried it out / found out what's actually included. I don't know if it's nearly as comprehensive as any of these other options.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Home Depot is doing a Ryobi 18V deal. If you buy the 2 pack of batteries (and charger) for $99 you get your choice of 30 compatible tools for free. I went intending to get the tire inflator but it was only $50 so I grabbed the angle grinder as my free tool and bought the inflator on it's own.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Gift-Center-Tools-Power-Tools-and-Accessories-Ryobi-Free-Tool-Promotion/N-5yc1vZ2fkoo9f

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was using my coworker's Milwaukee M18 Fuel 3/8" impact wrench and have some penis tool envy. Definitely puts my Makita sub-compact 1/4" hex impact driver to shame.

Has anyone used this Makita sub-compact 3/8" impact wrench?
https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XWT12ZB

It's rated the same as my impact driver, but I was reading that using a 1/4" hex to 3/8" square drive eats up most of the power. I'm definitely not happy with the impact driver (I can break free 1/4"-20 socket head cap screws, maybe 5/16"-18, usually fails on 3/8" and above hardware), but it's better than manually turning screws and works great driving wood screws.

I saw a video of the impact wrench breaking free a lug nut, which is impressive for the size and not something I'd even try with my impact driver.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Impact drivers aren't meant for breaking bolts free. They're meant for driving screws. The impact wrench is decent, but you'll always want more power. I've got the older 3-speed 3/8", and it's perfect for wheel and whatnot, but it doesn't hold a candle to a big 1/2" or my Aircat. It's great for a lot of car stuff, so long as it fits.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Home Depot is doing a Ryobi 18V deal. If you buy the 2 pack of batteries (and charger) for $99 you get your choice of 30 compatible tools for free. I went intending to get the tire inflator but it was only $50 so I grabbed the angle grinder as my free tool and bought the inflator on it's own.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Gift-Center-Tools-Power-Tools-and-Accessories-Ryobi-Free-Tool-Promotion/N-5yc1vZ2fkoo9f

How is their impact wrench? I've been meaning to grab one, that price is tempting. I have a porter cable impact driver and drill so I'm not exactly invested in any particular system.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

sharkytm posted:

Impact drivers aren't meant for breaking bolts free. They're meant for driving screws. The impact wrench is decent, but you'll always want more power. I've got the older 3-speed 3/8", and it's perfect for wheel and whatnot, but it doesn't hold a candle to a big 1/2" or my Aircat. It's great for a lot of car stuff, so long as it fits.

I have a 1/2" Ryobi, but it's obnoxiously loud, so I don't want to use it at work. Almost all we use is socket head screws and my hex bits are all 3/8" drive, so I'd have to spend $50 on new 1/2" drive ones anyway. Also: new toys.

It's kinda hard to justify spending the money, though. I'd only use it a couple weeks per year, and I can get by with what I have plus a breaker bar and torque wrench.

What I really should get is a tap wrench. I only need one at work and I always borrow from the shop guy's, but I feel bad using their personal tools. I'd be served well enough with a cheap one, but I'm spoiled by the ratcheting Gearwrench one of the guys has.

fknlo posted:

How is their impact wrench? I've been meaning to grab one, that price is tempting. I have a porter cable impact driver and drill so I'm not exactly invested in any particular system.

I have the one included in this bundle:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...-P261/311807617

It's large and loud, but I've never had an issue pulling lug bolts. I honestly haven't used it much. I much prefer the Milwaukee's I've used at work, but it's probably worth the $100 if you need one.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 19, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My wife bought me that same impact for Christmas. Now I wish we'd waited and gotten the extra battery. Anyways, its not super heavy and it zips lugnuts off in seconds. I'm really enjoying these new ryobi tools, I'm slowly replacing every crappy old harbor freight tool in my tool box. The garage sale this summer is gonna be well stocked.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Uthor posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...-P261/311807617

It's large and loud, but I've never had an issue pulling lug bolts. I honestly haven't used it much. I much prefer the Milwaukee's I've used at work, but it's probably worth the $100 if you need one.

That's worth it just for the batteries.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Holy hell boys, this thing fucks. Mid torque 1/2" brushless. Was actually smaller than I expected, I think its smaller than my crummy Craftsman air impact that came in a kit with my compressor.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

opengl128 posted:

Holy hell boys, this thing fucks. Mid torque 1/2" brushless. Was actually smaller than I expected, I think its smaller than my crummy Craftsman air impact that came in a kit with my compressor.

There's a Mid torque now? That would have been probably the right size for me.

Welcome to the crew. I had a great opportunity to show off the high torque on a 1/2" bolt that my buddy and I could barely budge. Apply Milwaukee and it looked effortless. Even on a half used battery. That thing on a full battery may have snapped it in half.

Maybe it's time to get the stubby.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

opengl128 posted:

It won't take off Ford explorer rear driveshaft flange bolts that are locktited :(

The bigger one will.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
I have the stubby M12 and the big nasty 1/2 M18 high torque.
I named the little M12 "Little nasty" and the M18 "big nasty"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Dacheat posted:

I have the stubby M12 and the big nasty 1/2 M18 high torque.
I named the little M12 "Little nasty" and the M18 "big nasty"

How do you like the combo? I've been eyeing picking those two up in 3/8" and 1/2" respectively as well a 3/8 m12 fuel ratchet. Seems to me like it would be a good bit of kit to invest in for making jobs easier in the garage.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I’ve got exactly those three, and the ratchet and 1/2” get the most use. The 3/8” gun is nice for slightly tighter spaces where you need slightly more torque, but 99% of what I find myself dealing with need either a lot smaller tool (ratchet) or a lot more torque (1/2”).

I don’t think I’d go back and do anything different, but I figure it’s worth knowing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think the 1/2 stubby makes sense because you can share the impact sockets with the mid/high torque impact wrench of your choice. i think i saw a youtube video comparing the stubby models and the 3/8 measured less max torque for some reason?

some people have complained about the fuel ratchets because they get too large for how little difference in max torque you get compared to non-fuel. i have a non fuel and still usually end up using a normal ratchet most of the time

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

StormDrain posted:

There's a Mid torque now? That would have been probably the right size for me.

Welcome to the crew. I had a great opportunity to show off the high torque on a 1/2" bolt that my buddy and I could barely budge. Apply Milwaukee and it looked effortless. Even on a half used battery. That thing on a full battery may have snapped it in half.

Maybe it's time to get the stubby.

Here's a couple good pics showing the high torque, mid, and stubby, all in 1/2". I feel like its a sweet spot in size

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Here's a couple good pics showing the high torque, mid, and stubby, all in 1/2". I feel like its a sweet spot in size

Would you think the mid could handle a low to zero rust passenger vehicle for most (all?) work no problem? Thinking I might end up buying some sort of impact within the next year.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Mid torque probably can't handle crank bolts or maybe axle nuts, but should be fine for everything else.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My mid impact breaks axle nuts on my jeep easily, the lock-tighted pinion flange bolts have been the only thing to stop it so far.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I haven't had to use mine in anger yet but they claim 600ft/lbs of breakaway force. Sounds pretty beefy to me.

I think the high torque is something absurd like 1400ft/lbs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

opengl128 posted:

I think the high torque is something absurd like 1400ft/lbs.

Yep. And the rear caliper bracket on my Passat laughed at that with only 1 extension between the anvil and socket. :(

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I always thought the Honda "Jesus bolt" was the acid test.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

Bajaha posted:

How do you like the combo? I've been eyeing picking those two up in 3/8" and 1/2" respectively as well a 3/8 m12 fuel ratchet. Seems to me like it would be a good bit of kit to invest in for making jobs easier in the garage.

It's a good combo for working on my fleet ('13 Silverado 2500HD, '84 CJ7 and '09 Vibe). Anywhere that i need more torque than the stubby typically fits the bigger gun.

I also find myself using the stubby to zip on/off bolts where i'd use the power ratchet. (diff cover was a recent victim) and with 200 ft lb, i'll run in lug nuts with it and then follow up with the torque wrench to spec. Taking lugs off i go for big nasty which doesn't even break a sweat doing it.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always thought the Honda "Jesus bolt" was the acid test.

i zipped one off on a friends car as well as some well rusted ball joint nuts with an impact socket and extension. the high torque did it with a minimum of complaining.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Dacheat posted:

Taking lugs off i go for big nasty which doesn't even break a sweat doing it.

I took lugs off a new-to-me car once with my own high torque Milwaukee, and it turns out whoever put them on before crossthreaded one of them all to hell. I thought it came off a LITTLE slower than the others, but didn't really notice until I picked up the lugs off the floor and one of them burned me. I looked at the stud and yeah, it was mighty fuckered. Would not have been a good time getting that off with a breaker bar, big nasty didn't even care.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

boxen posted:

I took lugs off a new-to-me car once with my own high torque Milwaukee, and it turns out whoever put them on before crossthreaded one of them all to hell. I thought it came off a LITTLE slower than the others, but didn't really notice until I picked up the lugs off the floor and one of them burned me. I looked at the stud and yeah, it was mighty fuckered. Would not have been a good time getting that off with a breaker bar, big nasty didn't even care.

I did put big nasty on it's knees a couple of times but that actually took effort. even removing the stock trailer hitch on my '13 silverado was a non-issue. (installed a torklift superhitch)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I call my little driver the Nutfucker 1500, the 3/8 stubby is the Nutfucker 5000, and the 1/2 high torque is the Nutfucker 9000. Never had the 9000 fail me except when I just couldn’t get the thing to fit. That said the stubby is a champ and I could do 95% of my work with it alone if I had to.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Super happy with my M12 stubby fuel. I don't do much more than lug nuts though, and some rusty 40 year old bolts. Haven't hit anything that won't budge yet

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

CloFan posted:

Super happy with my M12 stubby fuel. I don't do much more than lug nuts though, and some rusty 40 year old bolts. Haven't hit anything that won't budge yet

I have that one in 1/4 drive and it's excellent, but the anvil is insanely sloppy. Sockets droop and fall off. The hog ring is the only thing that even remotely keeps them on. It's very weird.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I went so far as to get the pin retention version. It makes quick changes fiddly, but the use of magnetic sockets better.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've been doing a lot of work around the house with the rennovation. My wife is tired of the tools everywhere... because there are a ton of tools and they are everywhere. I understand and agree.

I just found out that there are such things as "tool backpacks" -- something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-15-in-Ultimate-Jobsite-Backpack-48-22-8201/302906312?MERCH=REC-_-PLP_Browse-_-NA-_-302906312-_-N

As I look deeper, there seems to be a lot of different brands and types. Do any of you have preferences or recommendations? I'm looking for something high-end that will take a beating and be a one-time buy. I like the Milwaukee for the light colored interior, but I'm kinda tool snobby and if there's something higher end that is "the best," then that's more what I'm looking for.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've got a Rugged Tools bag, and I've got no complaints other than fully loaded it's drat heavy. I kind of like the look that Milwaukee though..!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

3 stars didn’t make my tools lighter

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Big Taint posted:

3 stars didn’t make my tools lighter

Clearly you didn't buy the masterwork quality

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Since the Chiefs won a Superb Owl, KC Tool is having a 15% off sale, code mvp15.

https://www.kctoolco.com/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

meatpimp posted:

I've been doing a lot of work around the house with the rennovation. My wife is tired of the tools everywhere... because there are a ton of tools and they are everywhere. I understand and agree.

I just found out that there are such things as "tool backpacks" -- something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-15-in-Ultimate-Jobsite-Backpack-48-22-8201/302906312?MERCH=REC-_-PLP_Browse-_-NA-_-302906312-_-N

As I look deeper, there seems to be a lot of different brands and types. Do any of you have preferences or recommendations? I'm looking for something high-end that will take a beating and be a one-time buy. I like the Milwaukee for the light colored interior, but I'm kinda tool snobby and if there's something higher end that is "the best," then that's more what I'm looking for.

I like Milwaukee's toolbox stool: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-13-in-Jobsite-Work-Tool-Box-MTB1400/205026948 The wirecutter recommended it for around the house tool storage and I've been a fan of using it for the last few years. I dunno if they officially say it's a step stool (I'm sure it's a huge liability), but I step up onto it all the time without issues. As a toolbox it works fine and can easily lug it from room to room. It is kind of a pain as very long tools are hard to fit inside (like a super long flat head screwdriver for prying stuff) but you're going to have that problem with a backpack too. It's also a top loader so there pros and cons to that (harder to see all your tools at once) but overall I like it a lot and having a stool right there has been very handy for lots of little tasks.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

meatpimp posted:

backpacks are for people who have to go up ladders and through tunnels with their tools. do you need this?

bucket or shoulder bags are better options for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

boxen posted:

Since the Chiefs won a Superb Owl, KC Tool is having a 15% off sale, code mvp15.

https://www.kctoolco.com/

They really should have given the MVP to Saunders for my wallets sake.