Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FoolyCharged posted:

Is there anything, anything at all with this thing that isnt broken?

payment processing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

LMAO there's a surefire way to tell where Undead and Night Elf players start without using any hacks.

When you start a game look over at the gold mines. If one is missing then that is where your opponent started if they're Night Elf. Haunted gold mines still show up as default gold mines, but the blighted trees are visible through fog of war even though blight isn't

I should be shocked but it should not come as much of a surprise to anyone that Blizzard doesn't have proper QA anymore. How loving embarassing that something like this made it through to retail.

There's also the broken score screens and team colors in multiplayer changing in mid-battle or when upgrading. All something you think wouldn't be languishing on a TODO or "Nice to have" list for final release.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

LMAO there's a surefire way to tell where Undead and Night Elf players start without using any hacks.

Is this exclusive to the updated graphics? Or did they manage to backport a new bug?

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Nostalgamus posted:

Is this exclusive to the updated graphics? Or did they manage to backport a new bug?

I'm 99% certain they backported it, I played against an elf using classic graphics on EI and noticed their gold mine didn't show and thought it was weird.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Nostalgamus posted:

I don't know and I haven't been able to test if it's backported because whenever I tried to swap graphics to WC3 Classic the client crashed

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Two questions. Is it possible to move my saved game info from my mac to pc and back again? I am working through the campaign and sometimes I play on Lunch on my MacBook pro.

Second, Is it possible to play a custom game 1v1 or 1v5 or whatever against AI? Setup a few AI to battle against or even have a few as allies vs other AI?

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
WARCRAFT III: REFORGED DEVELOPER UPDATE 2-3-20

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
-there's a couple of bugs we're going to fix
-the stuff we accidentally broke was actually planned and we'll fix it eventually
-all of the other poo poo is completely intentional and also planned

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

"At BlizzCon we talked a lot about how the team is actively working on standing up the back-end to ensure a smooth transition to this new MMR system, much like we did with StarCraft: Remastered. As with Remastered, these and other features will be included in a major patch for Reforged, which will also address the issue for players of the original game. We’ll share release plans as work progresses in the coming weeks"

In other words... we had 3 years and sat on our hands and now realize that maybe players would like to see their stats and play against players of equal skill. We'll start work on that now, I guess, and discuss plans sometime down the road after everyone has quit playing again.

I don't care about most of the bullshit surrounding reforged, I just wanted to play WC3 again with my college friends like we did 16+ years ago... Too bad most games are going to be a stomp one way or another until everyone stops playing because Blizzard didn't bother to have anything but the bare minimum non rated quick match for multiplayer ready on launch.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
"Related to that, as we talked about last year at BlizzCon, we did not want the in-game cutscenes to steer too far from the original game. We went a little deeper into the thought process behind that at the show, but the main takeaway is that the campaigns tell one of the classic stories in Warcraft history, and we want to preserve the true spirit of Warcraft III and allow players to relive these unforgettable moments as they were (albeit rebuilt with new animations and the higher fidelity art)."

BUT THIS IS BULLSHIT THEY CHANGED ALL THE CAMERA ANGLES FOR SOME BIZARRE REASON

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lmao they didn't even invest enough in the inevitable damage control

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It says "Blizzard has left the game" in addition to the player every time someone leaves a versus game

Thanks for letting me know I guess?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It says "Blizzard has left the game" in addition to the player every time someone leaves a versus game

Thanks for letting me know I guess?

We already knew Blizzard left the game, we can see that clearly with Reforged

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

"Related to that, as we talked about last year at BlizzCon, we did not want the in-game cutscenes to steer too far from the original game. We went a little deeper into the thought process behind that at the show, but the main takeaway is that the campaigns tell one of the classic stories in Warcraft history, and we want to preserve the true spirit of Warcraft III and allow players to relive these unforgettable moments as they were (albeit rebuilt with new animations and the higher fidelity art)."

BUT THIS IS BULLSHIT THEY CHANGED ALL THE CAMERA ANGLES FOR SOME BIZARRE REASON

loving LOL this is ridiculous

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So they're still sticking with the line that the art is somehow good.

I think this pretty much confirms that there'll be fixing this shitshow.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Got my refund. I already had a ticket open due to having issues with trying to login to b.net here in Taiwan due to some stupid thing that Taiwan has where you're forced to link a local account number to your account, even if the account was created in another country. As a foreigner I don't have a local ID number and the U.S., English speaking, tech support people can't even see that information because Battle.net in Taiwan is operated by a whole different company.

Happy to support the cause and make them realize how badly they screwed this up. Hopefully more people put action behind their complaints to get a refund. I'll come back in 6 months and see if things have improved but I'm not holding my breath and this whole thing has put such a bad taste in the mouths of my friends and I that I don't imagine I'll be able to convince them to return even the problems get fixed.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
I'm really, really interested to see what they will say about WC3:reforged sales. I mean they'll have to say something eventually.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Lol they saw that close to two decades after release people were not using the automated tournaments much so they removed them and didn’t think that maybe there would be increased interest with reforged??

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm getting the distinct feeling that the WC3:R team is a total shitstorm right now. The game was rushed out in time for Activision's earnings report and they knew full-well that there would be backlash.

It wasn't ready, that much is obvious. That update basically admits it. It's still a beta.

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I'm really, really interested to see what they will say about WC3:reforged sales. I mean they'll have to say something eventually.

Looks like preorder numbers were high, that's what they'll use.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

That was, without a doubt, the most underwhelming developer update that I have ever read for anything. I'm at least a little relieved that they said they are gonna continue long term support and updates for Reforged, but I don't know how many months it will be until the game is vastly improved and I consider re-buying it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Terror of the Tides (Night Elf campaign), Mission 06 (Shards of the Alliance)

Tyrande Whisperwind makes a last stand against the undead on a bridge. It crumbles and Tyrande falls into the river.

Original version (starts at 29:45)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVV_CEuCPpY&t=1785s

Reforged version (starts at 21:55)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRmotpQhTvk&t=1315s

They did not even animate the bridge breaking apart or bother moving Tyrande's model below the waterline. It just cuts straight past it all in Reforged.

Gosh, can you tell that maybe this poo poo was all rushed? That developer update is straight bullshit, nobody gave a poo poo.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 4, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

God seeing them side by side like that is depressing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The removed screen/camera shake makes it look even lazier and less dangerous. Also the camera moves too much in both, but it's somehow more annoying and preset in Reforged.

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS

stev posted:

So they're still sticking with the line that the art is somehow good.

I think this pretty much confirms that there'll be fixing this shitshow.

Unlike many other people I do not believe the art team is carrying Blizzard. I think the art is as bad as everything else. And that's on Blizzard, not the artists, whose personal art pages all show outstanding work. The Blizzard art look is stale, old, boring. Stuck perpetually in 2001.

I think the Heroes team is the exception, which is pretty amusing given the Heroes team is what, 3 people working out of a supply closet at this point?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ErrEff posted:

Looks like preorder numbers were high, that's what they'll use.

re earnings/shareholders report,

Blizzard always gives a selection of data that is, uh, extremely carefully curated to be just this side of fradulent. It's more about what they don't say. Like they'll mention player counts are up for one game and then conveniently not touch that for the others. Last years report was all sunshine and flowers while several of their games were in a state of 'players say the game is so unbalanced it's unfun and the pro players and our own casters that we hired are openly mocking us for not understanding how our games work.'

Then after a bunch of weird half-truths they'll throw in the 'we expect to make a fuckton of money on the chinese market' and the execs will have their positions for another year.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ErrEff posted:

They did not even animate the bridge breaking apart or bother moving Tyrande's model below the waterline. It just cuts straight past it all in Reforged.

Gosh, can you tell that maybe this poo poo was all rushed? That developer update is straight bullshit, nobody gave a poo poo.

lmao the loving starfall animation doodad is still there after the bridge vanishes in the space of a single frame

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really hate that the unit portraits don't have them goofily moving their head and mandible around.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

re earnings/shareholders report,

Blizzard always gives a selection of data that is, uh, extremely carefully curated to be just this side of fradulent. It's more about what they don't say. Like they'll mention player counts are up for one game and then conveniently not touch that for the others. Last years report was all sunshine and flowers while several of their games were in a state of 'players say the game is so unbalanced it's unfun and the pro players and our own casters that we hired are openly mocking us for not understanding how our games work.'

Then after a bunch of weird half-truths they'll throw in the 'we expect to make a fuckton of money on the chinese market' and the execs will have their positions for another year.

It's illegal to lie to shareholders but oh boy is it ever legal to mislead them

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

ErrEff posted:

Terror of the Tides (Night Elf campaign), Mission 06 (Shards of the Alliance)

Tyrande Whisperwind makes a last stand against the undead on a bridge. It crumbles and Tyrande falls into the river.

Original version (starts at 29:45)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVV_CEuCPpY&t=1785s

Reforged version (starts at 21:55)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRmotpQhTvk&t=1315s

i do not understand why half the camera movement appears to be identical... and the other half is changed to be worse. i can't see any rhyme or reason to any of these changes.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The game would probably still look better if they just ported WoW assets directly into Reforged though.
Probably take up less HDD space too. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I hadn't actually seen it before until now, but my god that Night Elf wisp portrait looks hideous.

Who on earth thought it'd be a good change to give it a dumb face like that? Why not just update the particle effects and be done with it, like, you know... A remaster? :psyduck:

E: Man, this is pretty depressing, honestly. Back in the day, I bought a new graphics card and the OG Warcraft 3 collector's edition and remember being in awe of the game. Those days are long gone, apparently. :(

I still can't believe it's possible to trash a remaster so hard you break the original copies people bought and paid for years ago to the point where they need to crack their own games.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 4, 2020

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Someone has a paste bin floating around with downloads for all the old installers, and they still work with your legit keys which you can still pull from Bnet.

I'd link it myself, but I'm not sure how close to "improper" :filez: it is despite requiring keys.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
gently caress 'em, Blizzard started it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Annath posted:

Someone has a paste bin floating around with downloads for all the old installers, and they still work with your legit keys which you can still pull from Bnet.

I'd link it myself, but I'm not sure how close to "improper" :filez: it is despite requiring keys.

It's not filez if you actually own a license/key.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Is there an instructional about setting up / using private internet servers somewhere that isn't outdated?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's not filez if you actually own a license/key.

https://pastebin.com/CdskkiD9

Telebite posted:

Is there an instructional about setting up / using private internet servers somewhere that isn't outdated?

I believe if you use the 1.30.1 folder in the above pastebin, you can use this:

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135760#p524895

Annath fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 4, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HonorableTB posted:

When you start a game look over at the gold mines. If one is missing then that is where your opponent started if they're Night Elf. Haunted gold mines still show up as default gold mines, but the blighted trees are visible through fog of war even though blight isn't

so:

Blighted trees + gold mine = UD base

No gold mine = NE base

Gold mine with no blighted trees = any of no spawn, HU spawn or Orc spawn.

both blighted trees and missing gold mines should keep being visible through fog throughout the game to know when an NE or UD has exposed.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6VqcERUK98

Jesus loving christ

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jokes posted:

I really hate that the unit portraits don't have them goofily moving their head and mandible around.

Hahaha, the best one was the old War3 Human Knight, his mouth basically detached at one side

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All the hero portraits in the campaign are also stupidly still. Their mouths/faces barely move while talking. They used to have a lot of head movement or crazy jaw movements while talking, and now they just stare forward and look like they're muttering.

Still glad I haven't bought this game, as it's funner seeing the gently caress-ups secondhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Annath posted:

https://pastebin.com/CdskkiD9

I believe if you use the 1.30.1 folder in the above pastebin, you can use this:

https://entgaming.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135760#p524895

Ironically the 'i totally have a license, no really' is the traditional loophole that a lot of filez stuff operated under for a long time. This is probably one of the few legitimate cases where people actually do have licenses and just want a non-bricked version of the product that they paid for.