Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
That's definitely rancid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wife's cousin in Jilin City was approached by a pair of "not cops" in blue raincoats, respirator, rubber boots, goggles and gloves armed with a "Type 97" assault rifle and told to show his ID. He did so, explained that he was allowed to go get some essential supplies, and continued on his way.

He's stopped again by similar guys (not cops, not doctors, possibly Chengguan) and they check his ID and send him on his way. He notices that their apparel is very similar, but different. Off the shelf brand raincoat (still blue) and their masks are a different colour. This time he gets a better look at their Type 97 rifles and sees that they are airsoft (he was in the PLA for a stint and before that was an avid airsofter).

He sees another pair walking down a street a few hundred meters away, and heads towards them to get a look. Same story, but these guys are armed with an even cheaper airsoft version of the Type 97, like a 90% plastic version.

Now he's really curious.

He walks towards a shopping mall that's a little out of his way, and there is a pretty big presence there. At this point it's become clear that they have been pulling extra bodies from whatever agency has some spare manpower, and have given them instructions on what to buy to create a "uniform uniform". Some people are wearing yellow kitchen rubber gloves, while some are wearing latex. He even saw some who were wearing the disposable plastic ones like people wear at Subway, and throwing them away after every interaction. Also the "weaponry" has gotten ridiculous. The PLA soldiers who are in uniform with masks and gloves are using (pinned) Type 97s that are used for training and are unable to fire Automatic, while some of the no-names out and about have obviously raided a local airsoft store because their loadout is hilarious (he was a gun nut, joined the PLA, and left after he realised that they don't actually train soldiers to fight). Some of the weapons he saw. (all airsoft, with crude attempts to paint or cover the orange tips)

H&K MP5s
AK-47s
G-36s
Some obviously fictional shotguns
An MG-42!!!
And tons of AR-15 variants.

Overall he says that the officials in Jilin City seem to be doing a good job at keeping people from bunching up, making sure they are wearing protection, and keeping stores orderly and free of people rushing to try and clean shelves.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
throw in getting yelled at by drones and we may as well be doing a half life 2 larp

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

I had those just as a normal thing anyway. And avoided the bad MREs.

You had cinese MREs? Lol

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Steve, a man who did not get sick from eating a can of beef literally from the Boer War, became violently ill from PLA rations.

Maybe it's an army thing because I vaguely recall the one PLAAF ration he ate was fine if a little boring.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Power Khan posted:

You had cinese MREs? Lol

Other than the one I tried out of curiosity, no.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Mistle posted:

Joke might be on the students; at least in America, you pay in advance and are on the hook for tuition, attendance or not. Pretty sure Aussie universities aren't that far off since they're leaning on foreign tuitions to get by.

:capitalism:

Australia is probably far more regulated and students are covered by HESA Legislation.

Every semester has a census date where you are academically and financially liable for the subects you are studying. Off the top of my head 20% of teaching has to be delivered by the census date. If students withdraw from subjects before the census date then they are off the hook for the fees. Census date for the unviersity I work at is Feb 28 and would likely be a similar date for other unis.

Also, HESA covers students affected by special circumstances. So if they are stranded in China because of events outside of their control that arise after the census date they will get refunded.

Edit: this legislation exists for the benefit of the government because permanent residents and citizens are mostly enrolled in courses that are heavily subsidised by the government and any citizens can defer their fees to the government to be paid off later under HELP schemes.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 3, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Blistex posted:

Wife's cousin in Jilin City was approached by a pair of "not cops" in blue raincoats, respirator, rubber boots, goggles and gloves armed with a "Type 97" assault rifle and told to show his ID. He did so, explained that he was allowed to go get some essential supplies, and continued on his way.

He's stopped again by similar guys (not cops, not doctors, possibly Chengguan) and they check his ID and send him on his way. He notices that their apparel is very similar, but different. Off the shelf brand raincoat (still blue) and their masks are a different colour. This time he gets a better look at their Type 97 rifles and sees that they are airsoft (he was in the PLA for a stint and before that was an avid airsofter).

He sees another pair walking down a street a few hundred meters away, and heads towards them to get a look. Same story, but these guys are armed with an even cheaper airsoft version of the Type 97, like a 90% plastic version.

Now he's really curious.

He walks towards a shopping mall that's a little out of his way, and there is a pretty big presence there. At this point it's become clear that they have been pulling extra bodies from whatever agency has some spare manpower, and have given them instructions on what to buy to create a "uniform uniform". Some people are wearing yellow kitchen rubber gloves, while some are wearing latex. He even saw some who were wearing the disposable plastic ones like people wear at Subway, and throwing them away after every interaction. Also the "weaponry" has gotten ridiculous. The PLA soldiers who are in uniform with masks and gloves are using (pinned) Type 97s that are used for training and are unable to fire Automatic, while some of the no-names out and about have obviously raided a local airsoft store because their loadout is hilarious (he was a gun nut, joined the PLA, and left after he realised that they don't actually train soldiers to fight). Some of the weapons he saw. (all airsoft, with crude attempts to paint or cover the orange tips)

H&K MP5s
AK-47s
G-36s
Some obviously fictional shotguns
An MG-42!!!
And tons of AR-15 variants.

Overall he says that the officials in Jilin City seem to be doing a good job at keeping people from bunching up, making sure they are wearing protection, and keeping stores orderly and free of people rushing to try and clean shelves.

Lol hungry game.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Steve, a man who did not get sick from eating a can of beef literally from the Boer War, became violently ill from PLA rations.

Maybe it's an army thing because I vaguely recall the one PLAAF ration he ate was fine if a little boring.

Just to clarify how old that canned beef was.

Boer War: Oct. 11, 1899 – May 31, 1902

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The PLA rations were all foul-tasting and/or rancid but it was a Ukrainian ration that put Steve in hospital with botulism. That was a recent-manufacture bad batch still within its expiry date.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blistex posted:

(he was a gun nut, joined the PLA, and left after he realised that they don't actually train soldiers to fight).
I'd love to hear more on this front. Is it all protest control or what?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

WTF? How?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

The canning process when done well can last a very very long time

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The beef was also kind of a dried powder before it was canned.

Shumagorath posted:

Blistex has posted about it again and may cut and paste but basically, yes. Their training is all about domestic uprisings.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've seen the video. It's still brutal

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

See for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoHuMwZwTk

I refuse to link the PLA MRE one... even the screenshots posted upthread are too much.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Ok that is not a case of the canning process done well

That is a case of 0 moisture

Despera fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 4, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Teketeketeketeke posted:

I refuse to link the PLA MRE one... even the screenshots posted upthread are too much.

i thought it'd be some ancient ration, but no they're basically brand new (and green all over)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Gotta liberate China from its people

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Despera posted:

The canning process when done well can last a very very long time

A toast to canned food!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Despera posted:

Ok that is not a case of the canning process done well

That is a case of 0 moisture

That's still not the oldest thing he's consumed.

Dude ate a piece of hardtack from the civil war. 1862. He's the only person who looks at a museum exhibit and goes "Time to find out how this tastes". He's a drat national treasure.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That's still not the oldest thing he's consumed.

Dude ate a piece of hardtack from the civil war. 1862. He's the only person who looks at a museum exhibit and goes "Time to find out how this tastes". He's a drat national treasure.

Hardtack was notoriously moisture proof

People have drank 2000 year old wine

Despera fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 4, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Despera posted:

Hardtack was notoriously moisture proof

People have drank 2000 year old wine

Fair enough but he's also eaten peanut butter from the Korean war, milk chocolate from WW2, and cheese spread from the mid-80s. The man has a titanium stomach.

On Chinese rations, found the PLAAF one. I'd vaguely heard that the air force was treated a lot better and comparing this one (and it's even a couple years past its shelf life) to the regular rancid PLA ones he's reviewed it's pretty telling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFaO46rZ4uw

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 4, 2020

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

I think eqyptian honey or beer might be the oldest thing people consumed?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kharnifex posted:

I think eqyptian honey or beer might be the oldest thing people consumed?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/12/permafrozen-dinner/604069/

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Ok beaten by a stone club!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol hungry game.

When your entire dystopian army skips leg day.

Seriously though, what's up with their legs? They are literally shorter than their arms and that's just not right.

Their calves are about the same diameter as their forearms, too and that's even more tragic.

EDIT: And thank you Google, your image search is as helpful as ever.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

On Chinese rations, found the PLAAF one. I'd vaguely heard that the air force was treated a lot better and comparing this one (and it's even a couple years past its shelf life) to the regular rancid PLA ones he's reviewed it's pretty telling.

I can't remember what thread it was in, but someone explained that having a 'good' military and a 'bad' military is how totalitarian states work.

The ultra loyalists get all the money and the expensive training. In modern militaries, they tend to be the air force because they're already so expensive anyway. Plus every Exalted Leader's failson wants to be a fighter pilot. They're also the ones who are expected to fight to the last because, if the regime falls, they're going to be put up against the wall for all the evil poo poo they did when in power.

Then you have the army of unwashed masses fit only for maintaining internal order and general oppressing in return for the privilege of not starving to death in the winter and dying en masse if there's ever anything like a real war.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 4, 2020

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Teketeketeketeke posted:

See for yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoHuMwZwTk

That belongs in a museum!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cheesemaster200 posted:

That belongs in a museum!

More people will see it like this than ever would in a museum, and they'll learn more. Plus, the tin still exists.

Cap.gif

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Whoa jeez

Saw that gif on the Chinese pigs getting bulldozed into a ditch and getting napalm'd. While alive.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

Whoa jeez

Saw that gif on the Chinese pigs getting bulldozed into a ditch and getting napalm'd. While alive.

like cops?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Fair enough but he's also eaten peanut butter from the Korean war, milk chocolate from WW2, and cheese spread from the mid-80s. The man has a titanium stomach.

The best is the Brazilian Navy alternative combat ratio. The guy just loves it!

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

WarpedNaba posted:

Whoa jeez

I found a video of pigs being thrown into a pit to be buried (but not burned alive, jesus christ). Here's a link to a screencap of it, since it's pretty :nms:

https://imgur.com/ocaqBP3

That is... a lot of pigs :stare:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1224569239253569538

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

The beef was also kind of a dried powder before it was canned.

Blistex has posted about it again and may cut and paste but basically, yes. Their training is all about domestic uprisings.

It was from a post that I think predates "China.jpg" and I can never make the search feature work, but here is a tldr

Wife's cousin signs up to be in the PLA
After about 6 months they are told they will do target practice with the Type 97 assault rifle.
Everyone is excite and bragging about how they will be the best shot.
Next day they line up and one at a time shoot 3 rounds out of the rifle which is pinned to semi-auto only.
5 Minders per new soldier at the firing line.
Everyone is shooting at the same target, so nobody knows how they are doing.
They repeat this 3-4 times shooting off 9-12 rounds that day.
They go to bed confident the rest of their training will be guns, grenades and cool combat stuff.
6 months later they repeat the same shooting exercise.
All of the time between that is building maintenance, formation marching (for parades) and learning how to do civilian pacification.
The most common exercise is practicing getting into the trucks quickly to be shuttled off to a place to quell unrest.
He gets transferred to an armoured unit (he is an extra in an APC).
They learn how to change the oil in their vehicles, drive them, clean them, and paint them for the Beijing parade.
Nobody he has talked to has ever done what one would consider "combat training". Drivers just learn how to formation drive.
He figures tanks shoot 1-2 rounds a year, assuming they are not being filmed for a propaganda video.
He's deployed a few times to put down protests.
They just line up in massive numbers and the protesters disperse.
He gets out of the PLA as soon as he can.

CIGNX posted:

I found a video of pigs being thrown into a pit to be buried (but not burned alive, jesus christ). Here's a link to a screencap of it, since it's pretty :nms:

https://imgur.com/ocaqBP3

That is... a lot of pigs :stare:

If you're squeamish or have a heart/feelings/empathy for living things, don't look up the video, and especially don't turn on sound.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 4, 2020

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The MRE guy on youtube had some, and meant that they were the worst MREs that he ever had.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Power Khan posted:

The MRE guy on youtube had some, and meant that they were the worst MREs that he ever had.

In Korea guys being deployed on exercises never touched their MREs because there was always a granny or two would would drive their ATVs with a cart behind full of food that they would sell.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

You can be sure if the PRC police were being capped off that there'd be a different source of outrage.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

WarpedNaba posted:

Whoa jeez

If it's the one I'm thinking of it's not new or related to current events.

Also thank you whoever for the avatar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Blistex posted:

In Korea guys being deployed on exercises never touched their MREs because there was always a granny or two would would drive their ATVs with a cart behind full of food that they would sell.

To be fair, I was in the UK army in the early 2000s and there were delivery services with ATVs who would drive out into our training areas to deliver pizzas if you paid a premium. Officers who made us move after we had ordered delivery to a map grid square and paid for it were grumbled about, I assume the drivers just kept and ate the pizzas in that case because we certainly did not get refunds.