Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

there's a reason why those that fought in WWI were called 'The Lost Generation' - it collectively broke all the young men who fought and everyone living within the war zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Materant posted:

To be honest, this adventure probably would have happened even if the good ending had happened, because WWI and Rasputin's plot weren't going to magically not happen just because Alice escaped getting eaten by a death curse. But Alice's death shook Yuri in a big way, and he's still got the threat of the Mistletoe obliterating his mind looming over him.

I would say that that Yuri would surely have ended up involved, but not necessarily in the same way. He’s explicitly suggested to be suicidal (“you’re just looking for somewhere to die”), and it’s not too much of a stretch to suggest he was off his game even before being hit with the curse. So if Alice were still here... I dunno, we might’ve had this wrapped up already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Materant posted:

To be honest, this adventure probably would have happened even if the good ending had happened, because WWI and Rasputin's plot weren't going to magically not happen just because Alice escaped getting eaten by a death curse. But Alice's death shook Yuri in a big way, and he's still got the threat of the Mistletoe obliterating his mind looming over him.

I feel like if Alice was around Yuti wouldn't have gotten cursed (and also would probably have Seraphic Radiance) and so his encounter with the villain team would have begun and ended with godlike death lasers from orbit.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, seems reasonable to think Yuri would probably have started this game in a different state, and maybe even a different place, if Alice was also hanging around. He'd still be a threat to Sapientes Gladio, so they would have still gone hunting for him, but hard to say if the rest of the start would've gone the same.

Episode LVI

The Dark Id posted:

Much like it partner

It would make sense mirrors finally come into play in place called "Mirror Castle" right?

Episode LVIII

The Dark Id posted:

Amon was the second most power Fusion in the previous adventure and the most powerful one available in the Bad/Canon ending

I feel I long coat is much more practical

And on that not Nicolai departs

That's what is doing you in? We were good! I've got like a dozen Tents in my inventory, man!

as we return to the somewhat (uncomfortable given the current geopolitical landscape) task of Saving Russia

First three are evident, wasn't sure about the phrasing of four. Should it be "Well, we're good!", since that keeps present tense? Fifth needs that parentheses opener to shift over to "given".

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Zagglezig posted:

Yeah, seems reasonable to think Yuri would probably have started this game in a different state, and maybe even a different place, if Alice was also hanging around. He'd still be a threat to Sapientes Gladio, so they would have still gone hunting for him, but hard to say if the rest of the start would've gone the same.

Episode LVI

Episode LVIII

First three are evident, wasn't sure about the phrasing of four. Should it be "Well, we're good!", since that keeps present tense? Fifth needs that parentheses opener to shift over to "given".

4th one is saying "We WERE good!" It's letting him know that healing at that time in the past wasn't necessary and he could have saved his strength. Absolutely grammatically correct already.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode LIX: Tsar

Now that Yuri has gained the power of Amon, at the mere cost of killing an old blind man he met earlier that dad and casting an entire village into despair, it's time to return to Petrograd to go sort out that Rasputin jerk. We're actually given no other option here. Heck, there isn't even a map transition, I just added one to talk briefly since it's straight to another cutscene and the Russian revisit.

Upbeat generic parade music plays.

That day, Petrograd held a glorious celebration.

A victory parade for the Tsar returning from his tour of the Eastern front.

Although much love for him was lost on that bloody Sunday of a decade ago, on this day the people raised their voices in celebration of their Tsar.

But like a candle burning more brightly the moment before it's snuffed out, it was glory tinged with tragedy...

In actuality, at this point in history, Russia had just gotten their asses kicked in Poland and Nicholas II had taken over as Commander-in-Chief of the war effort. This didn't make him remotely any more popular since the Russian army was kind of beefing it hard from lack of supplies and great there's another thing the Tsar is screwing up. Even if in reality he just left the actual war planning to advisors and by all accounts, all he did was dick around inspecting troops, field hospitals and having luncheons with officers.

Petrograd itself was in the middle of deporting all the Jewish, Germans and Poles and smashing all the property. Plus everyone was getting really fed up with Rasputin having the Empresses' ear while she was running things in the capital. The actual 1915/6 Petrograd would not be remotely thrilled to see this guy roll up for a grand parade ego trip. But at the same time, the tsar just kind of ignored the capital in general. It didn't end well, I hear. But, perhaps that is beyond the scope of our alternate history JRPG narrative...

Sometime later...

<adjusts his outfit> How can we go to the banquet without even knowing if Anastasia is all right?!
What are you saying? It's an important night for you -- no, for all of Russia.
What will the nobility of Russia think if we do not show up for our own opulent affair?

The maids suiting up the Emperor bow and depart.

Nothing is more important to me than the safety of my children!
Speaking of which, where are the rest of our children? All I hear about is Alexei and Anastasia. I've not so much as caught a glimpse of the others since I arrived.
Oh, they are, you know... around.
That is not reassuring when one of our children has already been actively abducted!

You must relax. Grigori is pressuring Edgar for more information about his co-conspirators.
Aren't you even worried?! Your beautiful daughter was kidnapped! Besides, Edgar treated Anastasia as his very own granddaughter. I can't believe he would be involved!

But I saw it with my very own eyes! Those ruffians Edgar brought here were controlling Anastasia! She almost killed Alexei with a knife!
<waves dismissively> Yes, you've told me that many times.
I've also heard word that the entire palace bewitched by some sort of spell at the last banquet. Is this true?
Oh, you know how these banquets can get.

Hmm... When this banquet is over, I'm going to question Edgar myself.
How is it nobody even knows his family name? It's just "Edgar." That is all we have on record? Did nobody ask after all these years?

The door opens and Rasputin enters and bows.

...There's no need, Your Majesty.
Ah, Rasputin. Have you found anything?
<nods> Yes.
Tell me, Grigori.
I hope you didn't use any distasteful arcane arts. That's how we got into this mess in the first place.
Of course not, Your Majesty.

Rasputin stands up.

He was very tight-lipped, but I used hypnotism to learn of his companions.
Hmm... hypnotism? I am glad you are sticking with the above board sciences, Rasputin.
But, of course.
So who are they?

<motions to the Tsar> They're an organization intent on taking the life of the Tsar and his family.
What?!
Is this true?
Yes. Among them is a German noblewoman. She has strong military connections, so this may be part of an attempted coup!

My cousin Wilhelm!
I always knew he screamed of betrayal...

Relax, Your Majesty. Surely it is our enemy's intention to shake the confidence of the Tsar.
But how...?
Just attend the ball as if nothing is amiss. We must show the rest of the world the greatness and composure of Russia.
...Hmm.
Lord Rasputin is exactly right!
We'll get a few drinks in you and put your mind at ease, dear.
All the security for His Majesty and the Royal Family has been taken care of.
...Since when has such a task been your responsibility?
Oh, I thought it best for him to take over security as well, dear. There is no one else we could possibly trust more with our safety.
Your lives are in my hands, your majesty.

<nods> Very well.
You're so wise, my lord.

Rasputin and the Empress depart. Meanwhile, the Tsar plops onto a nearby couch and takes a load off...

<sigh> Oh dear.

Yep, just leave everything to the weird wizard practically glowing with an evil aura and go get smashed at a party. What's the worst that could happen?

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

One would think there would be wanted posters and patrols after a group of anarchists tried to assassinate the prince and kidnapped the princess just a few days ago. But nah. There are a couple extra guys out front. Good enough! Rasputin's crack security measures are getting the job done.

Ewan!
Literally who...?
He's a page. He is alright.
The hell is a page? Like... from a book?

You can't go in this way right now. They're on extreme alert right now because of the banquet.
I've been missing for over a week and they're still throwing banquets?
You know how it is.
Unfortunately.

Prince Yusupov said he had a plan. He's waiting for you by the bridge on the outskirts of the city.
Thank you, Ewan. I owe you one!

How fortunate Ewan, the Page had been waiting by the town gates at night in the dead of winter just in the off chance Anastasia might return unharmed to the city so he could relay to the 11-year-old child that there is a clandestine meeting going down at the same sketchy place Rasputin was plotting earlier. That's dedication!

Before we see what Prince Yusupov is up to, there are a couple NPCs with new dialogue since our previous visit to the city.

If they would just voice their opinions, maybe that would end the troubles...
Or maybe poison him or shoot him, or stab him, or perhaps drown him in a river...? I'll take any number of assassination options to sort him out.
What if someone transformed into a God of Wrath and punched him to death?
That would be unlikely but not unwelcome.

It'll only lead to riots and strikes! They're totally out of touch with the students and the poor!
You can't cut back on student funding! You will regret this!

Sure enough, the Winter Palace is completely blocked off. So let's just head straight to the dock. There's literally nothing else to be done in town beyond that.

I love having an excuse to drink!
What happens when you don't have an excuse?
*hic* I drink even more!

Yuri approaches the bridge, where...

Huh?!

Yuri falls to his knees.

Music: Holy Mistletoe ~ Graveyard

What's the matter? Did something happen?
I'm not really appreciating disembodied voices yelling into my head. I had a real problem with that last year...
Oh... sorry.
Don't worry about it. So, what's up?

You resurrected Amon, didn't you?

I'm going to punch him so hard it's gonna knock that stupid pointy beard right off his face!
That must be why...
Huh? Why what?

I feel forces coming from the different class doors. Amon must've summoned some really powerful fusion monsters! I think the spirits of the six classes would lend you even greater powers if they got the chance!
Got the chance? Greater powers?
<steps forward> ...That's right. Look for something like symbols that represent them... something like that! If you find anything like that, you should check the altar stones again.
<nods> Okay.
This is going to be locked behind me having to do a bunch of weird obscure stuff all over the continent, isn't it?
<nods> Most likely.
Figures.

Well, I'll okay trying to find out about that creepy tree. See you!

Jeanne walks off.

Sorry, already teleporting away. I haven't figured out how to stop it yet.
<teleports away>
Symbols of the six spirits, huh?

So remember the Gravestones in the first Shadow Hearts? They're a different item now, but it's the same principle. Now that we've unlocked Amon, we can power up our other Elemental Fusions to a final Level 3 form by locating special stones hidden in the world. We could back out of Petrograd and obtain one right now, even! But we've not even taken Amon for a test drive plus a decent amount of additional side-content unlocks as we approach the Disc 1 endgame not too long from now. So we'll let this wait for another day. It's just another questline to the absurdly stacking pile of side content.

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

Yeah... I'm fine. It was just Jeanne calling me, that's all.
Jeanne?
Hehe. She gave me a clue about how to release my power. I'm really grateful.
Wait... where is Jeanne?
Oh... she's a ghost living inside my soul. Like, Karin met her not long ago...
I'm not going to lie. That was a little creepy.
Wait, she's DEAD?!
Awroo?! (What the HELL?!)
I feel like I am missing a part of this plot...
Same.
I don't know who this person is either. But can we get going, already?! I have a country to save!
Yeah, yeah... C'mon.

<walks the opposite direction> This way, then.

Sure enough, if we return to literally the same spot where Rasputin and that Victor dweeb were plotting an assassination we find Prince Yusupov. I guess aiding the party is the closest he's going to get to the derailed Rasputin assassination he planned in real life.

<unlocks the gate> You must hurry. The banquet will begin shortly.
It's very fortuitous they hold these things in the dead of night lately.

Everyone shuffles into the new dungeon.

Music: In Darkness of a Labyrinth ~ Dungeon

A sewer level? Really...?
This passage was made over 100 years ago. Not even Rasputin knows about it. It's the only way to get inside the palace unnoticed.
And you're sure it's a straight shot there...? Just follow this tunnel?
Oh, there are several gate based lever puzzles and what have you. Standard stuff for a subterranean construction of this era.
...Of course, it is.

Thank you, Prince Yusupov!
<shakes head> Not at all! The Tsar will be overjoyed when he sees you're okay.
Plus, you all seem poised to take out Rasputin, am I wrong?
Yep, we sure are!
That is a win in my book!

Prince Dmitri will be waiting for you in the room on the other side. Please, look after the princess!

Joachim flexes for the prince.

Uh... huh...
I'll keep guard at the entrance here. <walks back upstairs>
Okay, Anastasia, let's go see your dad!

Tune in next time for a goddamn sewer level! They claim it's a "Gallery of the Dead" by sprucing it up with the occasional skeleton. But you're not fooling anyone, Shadow Hearts 2. I knows me a sewer level when I sees it and that there is a daggon sewer level, I'll tell ya what!

Video: Episode 59 Highlight Reel

Tsar Emperor Nicholas II Concept Art - The actual guy had way more of a pronounced mustache than an even cut beard. But other than that, it's a pretty decent likeness.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Oh no, not another sewer level! Haven’t we already had two in this game?

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Y'know, it's been a couple of years since I've played this game, and I though this game had more interesting dungeons than it's had so far. Maybe the developers are saving the interesting ones for disc 2. Although saying that, I only remember 3 dungeons specifically from disc two, two of which have actually interesting visual designs and one of which is probably visually boring as dirt, but has some high grade plot happening in it. At least the disc 1 final dungeon is interesting.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Addressing this mysterious stranger with no end of convenient alibis for all the bad poo poo that goes down in the palace on a first name basis? This empress needs to get her head out of her rear end already. I'd say Nicholas is incompetent, but being cucked by these two will bring that out of you.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Hopefully we don't run into any damned sewer puppies who blow up airplanes here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DiggleWrath posted:

Y'know, it's been a couple of years since I've played this game, and I though this game had more interesting dungeons than it's had so far. Maybe the developers are saving the interesting ones for disc 2. Although saying that, I only remember 3 dungeons specifically from disc two, two of which have actually interesting visual designs and one of which is probably visually boring as dirt, but has some high grade plot happening in it. At least the disc 1 final dungeon is interesting.

I don't remember anything on Disc 2 with big long empty corridors like we had in the mine or in the mirror palace, so at least there's that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You can actually potentially get two level 3 fusions right now iirc. I haven't actually bothered much with Amon because of them.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can actually potentially get two level 3 fusions right now iirc. I haven't actually bothered much with Amon because of them.

You can, but IIRC it's generally not recommended, at least not for this point in the game due to the sheer difficulty relative to when the game actually expects you to tackle them. Or maybe I just sucked, dunno.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

Now that Yuri has gained the power of Amon, at the mere cost of killing an old blind man he met earlier that dad

Petrograd itself was in the middle of deporting all the Jewish, Germans and Poles
day
Jewish residents / Jews.

I really feel like it would have been easy to have Albert go "yeah, I gave peace a chance with the Sapientes, then figured out that the noblest organizations would get corrupted by power hungry assholes. So I thought I might as well summon a god and remake the world in my image before anyone else (like that rear end in a top hat Rasputin) got there first". But the game doesn't really convey that very well.

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
Man, I finally managed to get caught up on this one, after massively binging it, and the nostalgia is hitting hard.

It almost makes me regret the fact that I am in the middle of selling my old PS2 games since I have the entire Shadow Hearts series.

They really need to do a digital re-release for these beauties.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Who even has the rights to it now? I believe the company that made it had gone bankrupt.

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong

Robindaybird posted:

Who even has the rights to it now? I believe the company that made it had gone bankrupt.

I think I remember someone farther up (like page 1 or 2ish?) Saying that the company with ownership had gone in super hard for Pachinko, though could've gone bankrupt since then.

It's a shame since these games have such an awesomely unique feel.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Moleboy posted:

I think I remember someone farther up (like page 1 or 2ish?) Saying that the company with ownership had gone in super hard for Pachinko, though could've gone bankrupt since then.

It's a shame since these games have such an awesomely unique feel.

If I remember right, the company that owned it got bought out then the second company either got bought out or merged.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

OminousEdge posted:

If I remember right, the company that owned it got bought out then the second company either got bought out or merged.

So, basically, the rights of these games are tied up in so many hands that it’d be near impossible to get a re-release, let alone a sequel.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Sad Story Behind A Dead PC Game That Can't Come Back is a cautionary tale for anyone who gets their hopes up about rereleases of old games.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

ultrafilter posted:

The Sad Story Behind A Dead PC Game That Can't Come Back is a cautionary tale for anyone who gets their hopes up about rereleases of old games.

Alternatively, everything surrounding the Warcraft 3 remaster.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Epicmissingno posted:

Alternatively, everything surrounding the Warcraft 3 remaster.

That poo poo’s gone so far down, I’m surprised it’s not been review bombed to a 0.1...yet...

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Kemix posted:

That poo poo’s gone so far down, I’m surprised it’s not been review bombed to a 0.1...yet...

There's still time.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

So, basically, the rights of these games are tied up in so many hands that it’d be near impossible to get a re-release, let alone a sequel.

Pretty much, unless someone was to go through the hassle of buying the rights to them

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I could see someone with enough money buying the game rights, remaking it from top to bottom but rather than saying "Okay give us $60 or you never see it again," just make it a budget title for $20-40 so when the inevitable PS4/XB1/Steam sales come rolling in, people start opening their wallets for it.

Isn't it a usual thing for people who used to work on the game to form their own companies for the sole purpose of not only buying the rights to it but then getting into new titles? Basically Telltale Games it!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LX: Gallery of the Dead

Welcome to the Gallery of the Dead -- the dubiously themed underground of Petrograd. For all intents and purposes, it is a sewer level. There are wastewater streams blocking paths and assorted gates with corresponding irresponsibly engineered levers located dozens of meters away all of which need to be pulled to progress. But it is also some kind of crypt with assorted coffins and skeletons strewn about. But it is ALSO an actual dungeon of some sorts with skeletons shackled to walls as well and abandoned inside prison cells. I don't know. They just sort of threw all the underground dungeon themes into a blender and called it a day.

If nothing, at least the fact it's almost entirely lit by only our lantern makes it somewhat more of a visual interesting locale than the last grey and brown, stone constructed prison-esque areas we did... you know like the dungeon before last... Been getting a real lovely areas in Dark Souls 2 where they removed all the lighting vibe lately, so a change is nice.

Before we head anywhere, if we have Yuri inspect a skeleton directly to the left of the entrance we discover it is holding a book. And not just any book...

It's another piece of the Nibelung Opera which provides some extra power to Karin's Geusehbenst Sword Art. Spiffy! Other than the mime attacks involved in the description text. Those devilish fiends lure you into a sense of comfort pretending to be trapped behind an invisible wall until the next thing you know they're coming at you with an invisible dagger. Never trust a mime.

Anyway, if we trot a few steps down the dungeon we find our first obstacle and indeed the theme of this dungeon.

I bet we can open it with this lever. Look, it has the same symbol on it.
That's not a "symbol"! It's a perfectly good Cyrillic character!
Tomato, tomahto.
That's stupid. Nobody says it like "tomahto."

How do you read it?
You're not very scholarly, are you? "Д" is read "deh."
I'm going to be real, I have no idea how we're even communicating in the first place. I'm Japanese, you're Russian, Karin is German, Gepetto is French, Lucia is Italian, Blanca is a wolf, Joachim is... uhh, were you French too? I never asked.
I'm Romanian.
Huh. That right? Weird... I rolled with a guy from Romania for a while.
I am aware.
Really...? I usually never mention that guy. I can't even remember his name. It was umm... Devin, I think?
Kevin.
<snaps fingers> That's it. Anyway, the point is don't get on my case about languages.
Please, just pull the switch already!

Yuri tries moving the lever. Sure enough, the gate opens.

I get it. All we have to do is move the lever with the same symbol and the gate opens.
It's not a "symbol." It's a letter of the Russian alphabet!
I thought you said it was "cyrelac" or something?
It's "Cyrillic!" And it's the same thing!
Well, that's confusing.
They speak English outside of England, don't they? Why are you so hung up on this?!
...OK, you got me there. Let's go.

This dungeon seems more confusing to navigate than it actually is. It is, for the most part, a giant square with side paths in all four directions (including the south where we started) coming off the main square. We'll mostly be navigating this square in a counter-clockwise loop, hitting all the side branches as we go. Except for getting our bearings first...

If we head to the west first (this is the "bottom" of the square") we'll hit a couple of locked gates which will be important later. To the west we find...

Wrong. When it's the Russian alphabet, "A" is read "ah".
Ah! I get it now... <taps forehead>

This gate isn't too important. It's essentially the shortcut back to the entrance from the far end of the dungeon. However, the gate just south of here...

"Б" is a "lenition" or "consonant weakening" symbol. It doesn't have a reading.
Yeah... I am just going to nod my head and pretend I know what that means...
I can't believe I'm trusting the rescue of my nation to an ignorant peasant like you.
Well, excuuuuuse me, Princess!

So there is a shiny bit on that skeleton behind this gate. Now THAT is, in fact, extremely important. The end of this dungeon may hinge on opening this gate and looting that corpse.

Backtracking to that crossroad and heading north. There is a sidepath here with another switch. We're going to run past that for now just so we can continue to get a lay of the land.

Further ahead, we have two more paths with locked gates. One to the east and one to the northwest. The eastern gate to the right reveals...

That's "E," and it's read "yeh." We should find the lever that goes to it.
Yeh, let's go do that.
You are just doing this to irritate me now, aren't you?
Eh?

Before hitting the northern oriented gate, there is an item of interest perched in the corner near the sewage stream.

It's another one of Lucia's Tarot Cards that I'll never use again after that first debacle. This one does indeed Reduce MP loss by 50% or if reversed, it doubles MP consumption. The special effect reduces MP use by 75%! And the reversed Special Effect grants the lovely bonus of 4X MP consumption. Yep, that sure does sound like another potential great boon or completely loving yourself over again card in line with the rest of 'em.

Anyway, about the gate to the right of this Tarot Card...

Kah-not wait to get past this gate!
That's not even the right letter for that pun to work in any language!

Now that we know the gates, we can return to that path we briefly skipped and pick up another Lottery Ticket. But more importantly...

That's "E," and it's read "yeh."
Yeah, that's what I thought... It says "E," and that's pronounced "yeh."
Good, you're actually learning something.
Yeh, that makes sense!
Why am I even bothering?

Do you know what else makes sense? You guessed it!

Music: Vicious 1915 ~ Battle in Europe

There is a very small pool of enemies for this area. In fact, this is 66.6% of them right here. These two elemental heads are called Jack and Jill. Jack is the fire elemental head and Jill is the water elemental floating face. They both have a light 90 HP to their names. They both possess a couple of less than noteworthy common spells of their element of choice. The only real difference between the two, elements aside, is that Jack can cause Special Defense down with his physical attacks while Jill can cause Physical Defense down.

Their name comes from the nursery rhyme about two dumbass kids eating poo poo on a hill. You know the one.

Accompanying Jack and Jill on occasion is just... a drat skeleton. It's called Agony. It has 100 HP. It has literally no abilities other than running up and yeeting on folks which can possibly cause Delay. That is... that is it. It's just an angry skeleton in a sewer-crypt-dungeon. I don't know what else to tell you.

In any event, most mobs, especially ones including Jacks and Jills, tend to bunch up tightly together at the start of rounds and Amon is quite good at just deleting an entire encounter if he gets the drop on the enemy. Amon -- still a pretty good Fusion, as it turns out. I guess it really was worth it to go into the depth of Yuri's soul and completely retcon the motivations of a previous game's villain.

Back on track, that E-gate did open the gate to the east and hmm... wouldn't you know it? There is a wolf-like creature hanging out in a cell down this path. If you smell a Wolf Bout coming, you're finally starting to understand Shadow Hearts 2. This is actually the penultimate Wolf Bout... of Disc 1. We are actually coming to the end of a few sidequests... as far as Disc 1 progression goes...

Our prep work for this one is Blanca needs a Bhodi Bracelet equipped to prevent Paralysis or Blanca is not winning this fight. With that done, let's go talk to this wolf infected with the T-Virus.

Awroo? Awroo... (You're a zombie? Never thought I'd run into a half-dead wolf...)
Awroo, awroo... (Half-dead...? Wrong. I'll never die.)
Awroo... (My mistake. You seem to be full-dead.)
Awroo, awroo! (The preferred term is undead, pal.)
Awroo, awroo... (The "dead" part is still key here.)

Awroo... Awroo. (I love the taste of live wolf flesh. I ate so much, I became immortal.)
Awroo, awroo... Awroo... (And so you're just going to hang around this world forever, huh? Poor guy... I'll help him rest in peace...)

Music: Soul Comet ~ Spirit of the Wolf

...You look pretty tasty. I'll lap you up -- guts, fur, bones and all!

Music: Glint of Light ~ War of the Hungry Wolf

I'm getting flashbacks to that dipshit stalker mayor in Romania whose grand pact with evil allowed him the transformation of... a big rotting undead dog. Necros here is a Dark elemental wolf, naturally, with a fairly high for a Wolf Bout 576 HP. He does have a Dark elemental magic attack allegedly, but he never used it and instead tried fruitlessly to inflict Paralysis on Blanca with his physical attack string.

To move things along at a steady clip, I had Blanca employ Surge and then spammed Soul Comet. One weird trick to win most Wolf Bouts in an efficient manner.

Enemy wolves HATE it!

Music: Result ~ Victory

I'm going to be real, an undead wolf is kind of a step back after the space wolf that spoke only in emoticons. Maybe if you showed up around the time the Terry Bogard wolf was the flavor of the day, there would be more to say.

<shakes head> Die with dignity. That's the way of the wolf.
And if you could ink your paw and stamp here before you depart, that would be terrific.
Oh, naturally. I must respect the traditions of the Wolf Bout.

And with that, Blanca earns another Soul Comet power-up. Also, Necros does, in fact, drop dead for real. RIP.

A wolf who died at age 6 and spent four centuries as a zombie. Possesses amazing self-control and disciple.

You know, except for the cannibalism of its own kind.

Now that the undead scourge of the Wolf Bout fighting circuit has been pushed off this mortal coil, we can resume our exploration of the dungeon. Just to the southeast of Necros' former cell (how did Blanca fight that thing through cell bars...?) we discover yet another switch.

Yeah, right. That's "K," and it's read "kah." So what should we do?
Let's pull the switch, O-Kah?
That's not even close to how that works.
Hey, I'm trying.
Are you? Are you really...?

Now, while that did open the gate back to the northwest, to the northeast of Necros' cell is another path with two important items of note.

Yet another Magic Crest is found in a treasure chest with a very spicy Arc Rage spell. We're going to go ahead and throw that immediately on someone. That might come in handy for many a future boss fight.

The much more important part of this branch is we have Yuri walk specifically all the way into the corner shown here, we trigger another visit from the most mysterious of allies. That's right! It's time for another round of Ring Soul!

I am the Ring Soul! The will of the Judgment Ring! The administrator of all fate...
You're doing a good job, but hasn't your image changed somehow...?
I can see it! I can see your future! This I entrust to you!

Alright, sure. I guess Anastasia can have another one of these. I really wish Karin or Blanca got a five-attack string. These seem like they're going to waste now that I'm sticking them on magic oriented characters.

Maybe I was too nervous or something, but my performance was far too stilted before. Now it's really flowing!
My groove has returned and with it balance to all things.
Flowing...? It just sounds a little short to me now. And what about all that stuff you used to say afterwards?
Someone about watching us, even when we -- nevermind...
Of course! I nearly forgot! Guess I got a little too relaxed! Here goes... I will appear to you again, to bestow upon you more power... But beware! I am always watching... Watching to see if you are truly the one to command destiny...
Sure thing.
Okay, see you then!
Wait! Next time, why don't you try impersonating your wife or something?! I wanna see what she's like!
Huh? Impersonate my wife? When I'm being the Ring Soul?
<nods> Yeah! You can do it, right? You're an actor, aren't you?
I wouldn't exactly say an actor... I mean, I've always been the Ring Soul.
I do a bit of method acting to really get into the role. It's more cerebral than you'd imagine.
I bet.

But I guess I might be able to...
You can! I'm sure of it! This is gonna be great!
O-okay, then! I'll start practicing! See you!
Bye!

And so the mysterious relationship with the Ring Soul continues onward to another day... As does completing the rest of this dungeon. Don't worry, we're about to hit the good bonkers anime bullshit at the end of this tunnel.

Video: Episode 60 Highlight Reel
(Undead Dog sounds like just the edgelord putting on a fake deep voice you'd expect.)

Gallery of the Dead Concept Art - The people of Russia will NEVER forgive Bloody Sewerday.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Keith.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:ssh:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Who?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ring Soul has to be my favorite supporting character. I also still can't believe all that dialogue is in the game itself. :allears:

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure it was Kent.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You may want to give Joachim some extra attacks. They help with Great Gama.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
If this were an adventure game, we'd definitely need to be taking notes on these Cyrillic alphabet lessons. Part of me is still wondering if it's just to liven up the sewers or if there's a thing later that's gonna have a payoff.

The Dark Id posted:

makes it somewhat more of a visual interesting locale

"visually"

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

placid saviour posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Kent.

It was definitely Karl.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

DukeofCA posted:

It was definitely Karl.

No, his name was Kenneth Parcell

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I can't remember if I used a guide or not for this dungeon's gimmick. Probably did, considering a sewer dungeon with a puzzle like this one is just the goddamn worst.

I'm guessing that Necros is proof that this game is a spiritual prequel to the Resident Evil games. Umbrella had to start somewhere, and their birthplace being an alt history Russia where Rasputin is exactly the monster as legends say he was makes about as much sense as anything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

Possesses amazing self-control and disciple.
Discipline.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 3, 2020

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You're all confused, Karin is in this game, not the previous one.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

guys, Karol is in a different game entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Poor, poor forgotten Valentine brother.

I love our fun interactions with the Ring Soul. He’s the best friend a user interface feature can be.