Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's because they don't give a drat twice as much as the average thumbed animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

Starting to think life might just be easier without teeth, tbh.

Congratulations on looking like this when you try to stress your 'th' sounds to get your dentures back in place.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well then explain to me how koalas are such a stupid smoothbrained evolutionary dead end but they somehow ended up with four thumbs when the rest of us have to make do with just two.

Yeah but they have three less penises so I think humans win in the end.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Inceltown posted:

Congratulations on looking like this when you try to stress your 'th' sounds to get your dentures back in place.

Now that's a man with four thumbs.
One on each of his hands, and two on the sides of his dumb face.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well then explain to me how koalas are such a stupid smoothbrained evolutionary dead end but they somehow ended up with four thumbs when the rest of us have to make do with just two.

Thumbs are only half of the equation. The other half is a brain big enough to find a cure for chlamydia. If koalas had brains like us, they’d be the apex species no question.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Amy Poehler and Amy Schumer are not the same person.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
All the crazy people were right and our nation was actually bought and sold a while ago.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Wasabi the J posted:

All the crazy people were right and our nation was actually bought and sold a while ago.

This is funny because it's true no matter where you live.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"rear end" is derived from "arse", and originally meant "ears", but later became a butt euphemism. Hence the 'jackass' getting named after its huge ears.

This means the children's song 'do your ears hang low' is a sanitized version of the original song, asking if you're so dummy thick your rear end cheeks clapping alerts the british army

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

christmas boots posted:

You know what evolution did right, though? Thumbs. Those things loving own.

But imagine how great it would be if your little finger was also a thumb. Come on evolution, catch up.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Doug Sisk posted:

But imagine how great it would be if your little finger was also a thumb. Come on evolution, catch up.

I feel like this is something plastic surgeons could accomplish. gently caress breast augmentation, give me a more functional pinky.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Tunicate posted:

"rear end" is derived from "arse", and originally meant "ears", but later became a butt euphemism. Hence the 'jackass' getting named after its huge ears.

This means the children's song 'do your ears hang low' is a sanitized version of the original song, asking if you're so dummy thick your rear end cheeks clapping alerts the british army

The song’s about balls, duder.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tunicate posted:

It's almost impressive how wrong everything in this post is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My team of butt etymologists is the best in the world, but they refuse to release their butt sources after a fierce internal debate.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The "can you throw 'em over your shoulder like a continental soldier" part is how I as a kid decided that the song was probably about balls.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tunicate posted:

My team of butt etymologists is the best in the world, but they refuse to release their butt sources after a fierce internal debate.

tbf your interpretation is 💯

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Shifty Nipples posted:

The "can you throw 'em over your shoulder like a continental soldier" part is how I as a kid decided that the song was probably about balls.

If you could throw them over your shoulder as a kid I’d hate to see them now

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

beanieson posted:

He just has to coil them around his shoulder a few times, like carrying a length of rope

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
It's called a quart because it's a quarter of a gallon

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

As a kid I knew it was about balls but I still haven't worked out why it's like a continental soldier.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SacrificialGoat posted:

It's called a quart because it's a quarter of a gallon

What about a pint? I was going to make a joke on how a pint is a pittance, but I don’t think they’re really related words like quart and quarter.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Puppy Bowl isn't recorded live. :saddowns:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

As a kid I knew it was about balls but I still haven't worked out why it's like a continental soldier.

Continental (European) soldiers carried their rifles up over their shoulders when marching in formation. Its not the testicles, it’s the location of the testicles.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Monkey posted:

Continental (European) soldiers carried their rifles up over their shoulders when marching in formation. Its not the testicles, it’s the location of the testicles.

As opposed to every single other soldier on the planet...?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I dunno that was just my guess as a kid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unlike Americans, continental soldiers had balls :smugmrgw:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Tunicate posted:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ernest Borgnine was the ninth Borg ever. It's right there in the name!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Maha posted:

Amy Poehler and Amy Schumer are not the same person.

They basically are, though.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

slinkimalinki posted:

in some variants it's a regimental soldier and in others it's not a soldier at all. why is it ever a continental soldier? because that fits the rhythm and close-enough-to-rhymes with shoulder.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

beanieson posted:

Well you see there was this one time I crashed my bicycle...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

slinkimalinki posted:

The continent is the rest of Europe to the British Isles, so a continental soldier is a soldier from the continent. They often don't like continentals so they are making fun of them for having balls so droopy they can through them over their shoulder.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Picnic Princess posted:

You know that horrible pain when you finally warm up an extremity after it's been numb from the cold for way too long? It gets so bad it can make people scream and/or puke.

Amphigory posted:

We call that "chillblains"

Not the funniest picture, I'll agree

From the Funny Pictures thread of all places, I always thought chilblains were cold sores (which is a pretty :haw: mistake in retrospect)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The origin of the word "caucus" is the Finnish noun "kokous" for "meeting".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tunicate posted:

The word "assassin" for someone who commits a targeted murder of a public figure is derived from the Order of Assassins, a militant order of Shia militants who operated in secret in Syria and Persia in the medieval period using targeted killings of leaders to further their ideals. They were so called because their operatives would carry hidden blades up their bunghole (or rear end) so it could not be detected by a conventional search allowing them to pose as courtiers and messengers to get closer to their targets. Eventually this caused Ahmad Sanjar, Sultan of the Seljuk empire, to invent the first body cavity searches.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The singer in "What's Going On?" by 4 Non Blonds (The songs with the the chorus of "and I say hey-yay-yay what's going on?") is a woman. It had always sounded like a male voice with a high register.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Maigius posted:

The singer in "What's Going On?" by 4 Non Blonds (The songs with the the chorus of "and I say hey-yay-yay what's going on?") is a woman. It had always sounded like a male voice with a high register.

it's Prince Adam from He-Man, fool

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Also the song is titled "What's Up?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rodbeard posted:

Also the song is titled "What's Up?"

Apparently they didn't want people to confuse their song with the Marvin Gaye song What's Going On.