Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

Uh I’m going on a cruise in March fro spring break and royal Caribbean just sent an email saying all Chinese and Hong Kong passport holders are banned, as well as anyone that has visited them in the last 15 days.

Get yourself an A class norovirus before you get on to combat the racism of the cruise company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
A China/HK based policy could very well be worthless in a month if the spread continues. I don't think I would go on that cruise unless things become under control very quickly.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it'll be ok just as long as everyone always washes their hands for 20 seconds after using the restroom and before eating

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Touch every shrimp in the buffet

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
It’s not like I’ll be in small contained spaces on and airplane and cruise ship.

Gonna lick the blackjack chips.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I worked on a cruise ship for awhile when I was in my 20s and I don't wish a virus loose on one upon my worst enemy.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Quick someone send that script to Korea.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Beefeater1980 posted:

“Regardless of when they were there last” what the gently caress?

From a customer service perspective, it helps avoid countless arguing... ie. "But we left China 2 days before the outbreak was declared!"

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
some people i know are treating this poo poo like its going to be the second coming of jesus and i loving hate it

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
25% need intensive care!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nick_Morar/status/1224452025422733314

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1224458831851335687

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So is this virus more or less survivable compared to regular pneumonia?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It was a smug as poo poo "I'm so much smarter than these fools" style post that made him seem like a tremendous jackass.

The rampant, proven trend of people downplaying this pandemic is actively harmful to containment efforts, and lovely tone policing like yours doesn't help, either. gently caress off. This is a serious problem that we're talking about

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1224455435974930436?s=19

New record for daily cases/deaths. still probably underreported massively

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shaocaholica posted:

If the ICU is already full and doesn't have room for you then you're in a bit of trouble.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

It’s not like I’ll be in small contained spaces on and airplane and cruise ship.

Gonna lick the blackjack chips.

And aren't cruise ships considered even better incubators since the exposure is so prolonged? Hope you're not a smoker

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Jabor posted:

If the ICU is already full and doesn't have room for you then you're in a bit of trouble.

Oh good point.

So you can get into a better hospital in China with some bribes right?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

QuarkJets posted:

And aren't cruise ships considered even better incubators since the exposure is so prolonged? Hope you're not a smoker

Oops

But I was joking, I just checked my vacation insurance that I bought. It was v expensive but I’ve had to use it before

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Regular pneumonia is usually treatable with antibiotics. This virus can cause viral pneumonia, which is not. But most cases don't come down with viral pneumonia... we think

Basically you're probably fine if you're an average adult but some not-insignificant fraction of people are in for a bad time if they catch this.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/may...zVN5rZXMjRS2vus

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

Basically you're probably fine if you're an average adult but some not-insignificant fraction of people are in for a bad time if they catch this.

What do you think it’ll be like for the average adult?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

CDC posted:

Clinical presentation among reported cases of 2019-nCoV infection varies in severity from asymptomatic infection or mild illness to severe or fatal illness. Some reports suggest the potential for clinical deterioration during the second week of illness. In one report, among patients with confirmed 2019-nCoV infection and pneumonia, just over half of patients developed dyspnea a median of 8 days after illness onset (range: 5–13 days).

Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) developed in 17–29% of hospitalized patients, and secondary infection developed in 10%.
Between 23–32% of hospitalized patients with 2019-nCoV infection required intensive care for respiratory support.
Some hospitalized patients have required advanced organ support with invasive mechanical ventilation (4–10%), and a small proportion have also required extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO, 3–5%).
Other reported complications include acute cardiac injury (12%) and acute kidney injury (4–7%).
Among hospitalized patients with pneumonia, the case fatality proportion has been reported as high as 11–15%. However, as this estimate includes only-hospitalized patients, and therefore is biased upward.

Looks like it’s survivable but you’ll get beat the gently caress up

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
we're booked in for a three-day cruise in april for a birthday party, the birthday boy is severely immunocompromised and my family are still insisting it's going to happen lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shaocaholica posted:

Bat cooking. No thumbnail for your safety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oggAadi_AFM

jesus, the way they all look like they're shrieking even after death

potentially :nms:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

hallelujah posted:

we're booked in for a three-day cruise in april for a birthday party, the birthday boy is severely immunocompromised and my family are still insisting it's going to happen lol

That's a terrible idea even without a global pandemic.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
So after several days of large, but roughly linear increases I'm wondering whether that means something in terms of containment. I remember in 2014 Ebola something similar happened - when people were initially were very concerned about exponential increase, and attributed the increase to limitations of measurement rather than an actual picture. I would guess that testing capacity increase in Wuhan is a big priority, so if we're not seeing bigger numbers day by day it is possible the containment has some effect.

Or, you know, all the testing kits are clutched in dying fingers and doomsday is near.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LabyaMynora posted:

That's a terrible idea even without a global pandemic.
i know!! i hate cruising, the concept and the industry, and only agreed to this one for the sake of my loved ones. it will be my first, and so help me, possibly my last

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i still can't believe the first cases in the uk were in jose's city lmao

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh good point.

So you can get into a better hospital in China with some bribes right?

In the US, they call this "paying for better medical care".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ma i married a tuna posted:

So after several days of large, but roughly linear increases I'm wondering whether that means something in terms of containment. I remember in 2014 Ebola something similar happened - when people were initially were very concerned about exponential increase, and attributed the increase to limitations of measurement rather than an actual picture. I would guess that testing capacity increase in Wuhan is a big priority, so if we're not seeing bigger numbers day by day it is possible the containment has some effect.

Or, you know, all the testing kits are clutched in dying fingers and doomsday is near.
It sounds today like we are getting more confirmation that they are running out of testing kits in China, which means it's really likely that a lot of cases are not being counted

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

hallelujah posted:

i know!! i hate cruising, the concept and the industry, and only agreed to this one for the sake of my loved ones. it will be my first, and so help me, possibly my last

The way you wrote this sounds like you’ve accepted you’re going to die on the cruise. RIP

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mitztronic posted:

The way you wrote this sounds like you’ve accepted you’re going to die on the cruise. RIP
i am in the hands of the lord

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

ma i married a tuna posted:

edit:

Ahh gently caress it, millions will die. Can't be bothered.

Will check in on the thread in 2 weeks.....can't wait!

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 4, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1224484164885499904

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hallelujah posted:

lmao cruising

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the Larry craig industry

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Illuminti posted:

edit:

Ahh gently caress it, millions will die. Can't be bothered.

Will check in on the thread in 2 weeks.....can't wait!

Regarding your original posting: Really makes you think

Also, the argument is that millions won't die because reasonable measures are taken against the spread of the virus. Should be a concept even a brain genius like you should be able to understand.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
so should I try to get herpes real quick so I can get a big prescription for antivirals?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

so should I try to get herpes real quick so I can get a big prescription for antivirals?

Everybody has herpes already, so, congratulations!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bip Roberts posted:

Consult your Herpetologist if you want a scrip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The other Chinese provinces are possibly suppressing numbers because they don't want to get poo poo on by Beijing