Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's an indictment of America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's almost like pre-internet media industries were centered around a few tiny spots if you wanted any sort of mainstream footprint

See: the music industry

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah big money execs shoving big money "talent" down everybody's throat means it isn't exactly mind-blowing SNL had a lot of influence.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
The best part of Revolution X is that they didn't want to show bullets, so the guns shot out high speed deadly CDs at the enemy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Stex T posted:

The best part of Revolution X is that they didn't want to show bullets, so the guns shot out high speed deadly CDs at the enemy.

Music IS the weapon

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Grassy Knowles posted:

1993 was also a resurgence of “Dude looks like a lady” for Mrs Doubtfire.

1998 was that awful but popular song “I don’t want to miss a thing” which definitely fits.

90s Note: Canadian band Our Lady Peace peaked with their first album, of which this soundtrack features the very good song Starseed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O94CW_tIEzU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cry Baby isn't the best John Waters movie, but it's alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSY_OhzRLg

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I miss Jay Mohr. The best 90’s stupid SNL scene is him as a rookie cop who pukes at a crime scene. The puke hose clearly coming out of his sleeve and continuing to drip after he puts his hand down is such a huge blunder that I always crack up seeing it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I thought that was a fever dream because it never comes up on any best of lists.

Honestly I think that is what got me started watching SNL

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stex T posted:

Oh you still get regular bullets! The CD launcher is a second weapon with limited ammo that fires explosive CDs. It's a very bloody game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9k2ED2aw8

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Today I found out Crazy and Cryin are different songs.

A goon made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV2_lGIPzMA

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

What's up fellow Wunderland survivor.

Eugene Oregon here, not sure how many there were but yeah nickel arcades ruled.

They were all over SoCal back in the day. I knew nothing else. A quarter o play a game>!? What a rip! Going back to my nickel arcade !

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Grraarrgghh posted:

A friend I used to live with bought the 6-player X-Men machine from a local arcade for $300 in like 2008. Every single party we had music/conversation punctuated by Colossus' power move yell of "UUUGGGHHH" every 30 seconds.

It ruled.

The Colossus Roar is a meme ingrained into Magfest lore so much that there's actually signs around National Harbor come Januarytime basically saying "Don't roar here" with a big "No Colossus" symbol.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
gently caress, I'm about to go into work and now I'm gonna have the level 2 music stuck in my head for the next 10 hours.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

You know what was super 90s that nobody remembers? Those cars with the motorized seatbelt buckles on a track near the door. There were like three or four years where that was the coolest poo poo ever, and then you never saw it again.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

y'all ready to get yeeted the gently caress right into some purestrain 90s?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Neito posted:

You know what was super 90s that nobody remembers? Those cars with the motorized seatbelt buckles on a track near the door. There were like three or four years where that was the coolest poo poo ever, and then you never saw it again.

The government required either those or airbags. Guess what was cheaper?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

The government required either those or airbags. Guess what was cheaper?

I'm gonna guess, for the two years they were an option, the automatic seatbelts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pastry of the Year posted:

y'all ready to get yeeted the gently caress right into some purestrain 90s?

I'll see you the movies and raise you The New Addams Family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnLbBzzVJbI

Snap-Snap :smuggo:.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll see you the movies and raise you The New Addams Family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnLbBzzVJbI

Snap-Snap :smuggo:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFBfbYhmiHA

:colbert:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neito posted:

Remember the first time you sat in one and AHHH OH GOD I THINK IT'S CHOKING ME

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Remember the first time you sat in one and AHHH OH GOD I THINK IT'S CHOKING ME

They were always on other cars for me. We had a Volkswaggon Fox until like 2001.

Volkswagon Fox: The car you buy because "square" is the sexiest shape.

I swear to god, it was the only car that looked less realistic than the CGI cars in the Initial D anime.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Neito posted:

gently caress. My older brother used to have those in his car when he drove my sister and me to elementary school. We used to argue over who got to sit in the front seat because it was so cool.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Pretty sure those belts didn’t work too good in a crash and were banned or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cartoon Man posted:

Pretty sure those belts didn’t work too good in a crash and were banned or something.

I thought I read that one or two of them somehow choked someone, but I did a quick search just now and didn't see anything on that, so I guess it was just an urban legend growing up in the 90's.

Which reminds me of this gem of a movie from the 90's "revivial," as it were, of slasher movies:

Edit: God, remembering it now, so many of the kills are basically pure coincidence that they "lined up" with an urban legend.

The first one, for example, is a woman alone in a car. She is out of gas, pulls in to a gas station, but is freaked out by the creepy gas station attendant since it looks like he is going to rape or kill her (he has a bad stutter, and lies and says she has to pay inside and locks the door after her, because he saw the killer in the back seat.) As she pulls away, he manages to scream out that there is someone in her back seat, but too late, who then stabs her to death.

So...how the gently caress did the killer know that someone would see them hiding in the back seat, but only just a little, and it would be a weird gas station guy with a stutter, so he couldn't easily tell the victim, so she could still manage to get back into the car and leave?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Feb 5, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cartoon Man posted:

I could see them being a headache with the mechanism breaking and whatnot. And I imagine the attach point wasn't as strong as just baking it into the pillar.

My aunt had a red sports car with those seatbelts AND the cool flip-up headlights. I know those were trash but I really loved that design.

Speaking of car stuff, anyone remember the motorized antennas? Or sticking magnets with antennae on them for car phones?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

automatic seat belts were a thing because they passed a law requiring cars to have air bags, but since air bags require all sorts of sensors and stuff so they allowed auto seat belts as a substitute until the auto manufacturers could introduce redesigns with airbags.

they were also lovely too

FilthyImp posted:

Speaking of car stuff, anyone remember the motorized antennas? Or sticking magnets with antennae on them for car phones?

my old car had a motorized antenna, but it went up when you listened to cds too so i disconnected it. the car also had 2 ash trays in the back for the back seat passengers.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

It was a bit of a shock to me to realize a few years back that lighters were no longer standard on cars. I don't even know many who used them, really....

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Cartoon Man posted:

This plus they caused choking and injuries so they were a huge liability..

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I could see them being a headache with the mechanism breaking and whatnot. And I imagine the attach point wasn't as strong as just baking it into the pillar.

My aunt had a red sports car with those seatbelts AND the cool flip-up headlights. I know those were trash but I really loved that design.

I'm surprised that cars have external antennas at all, since embedding them in the window is a thing now.

Seems like car antennas changed to the short nub, or the in-window kind around 2000. And with them, antenna toppers disappeared:

These look fancier than I remember. They were mostly just a ping pong or tennis ball on the end.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

There was the Jack In The Box clown or the 76 logo, and nothing else :colbert:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

There was the Jack In The Box clown or the 76 logo, and nothing else :colbert:
Jack had a special MILLENNIUM edition Jackball, iirc.

The little sharkfin nubs are, I think, for SiriusXM or Car Wifi.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I definitely remember seeing these around.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this song is not 90s, but this performance is the 90s, and she's one of the best singers the US has ever produced, so fight me irl :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF-gQP91iIE

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

FilthyImp posted:

When we first got married, my wife had a 1994 Cutlass that had one of those on the rear right quarter panel.

One day she was leaving for work and as she was backing out of the garage, the door spontaneously decided to come down. She put it back in drive and quickly tried to get back in the garage. The antenna caught on the door and got snapped off.

If memory serves, the part alone was $280 to replace it. Fortunately installation was super easy so I did that part myself.

I hated that loving car.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

More cars need gull-wing doors. Those things were super cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neito posted:

More cars need gull-wing doors. Those things were super cool.
The video of the dumbass Tesla X owner who tried to enter their garage with the doors up is pretty funny, yea.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

The video of the dumbass Tesla X owner who tried to enter their garage with the doors up is pretty funny, yea.

Tesla should serve as a warning about what not to do with cars.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Tesla should serve as a warning about what not to do with cars.

I read somewhere that their batteries are just these huge, wired-together matrices of vape pen batteries or some dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

BMW figured this out in the early '90s. Can't break the doors if they stay in the vehicle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLGMQ6WG9Kc