Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Grakkus posted:

Who the hell sneers at an RX-7?

Uppity college townies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

(not shown) Finished up the damping material in the harder to get to spots. The improvement on the outer skin on the rear wheel well was incredible, from a reverb machine to a quick solid thunk.

Return the OEM foam pad

Add foam to build up the low areas

Seems ok, might want one more thin layer to make sure it gets compressed? :shrug:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 2, 2020

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Uppity college townies.

Why, because it's old? Genuinely baffled.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Grakkus posted:

Why, because it's old? Genuinely baffled.

Because it’s LOUD and ratty looking. People’s delicate sensibilities get easily offended in small college towns where they think their money should shield them from such beastly things.

https://youtu.be/ZVyDF_P7Mps

https://youtu.be/WErwEAn8PhM

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Because it’s LOUD and ratty looking. People’s delicate sensibilities get easily offended in small college towns where they think their money should shield them from such beastly things.

Sick. Keep rustling those feathers, man.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Grakkus posted:

Who the hell sneers at an RX-7?

very, very bad people

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bought it.

2018 GMC Canyon crew cab longbed with the 2.8L turbodiesel. So now I guess I have a matching set of 48-year-apart blue GMCs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

More foam? yes more foam

More glue? yep

But now I'm out of epoxy for a few days

taqueso fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 2, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bought it.

2018 GMC Canyon crew cab longbed with the 2.8L turbodiesel. So now I guess I have a matching set of 48-year-apart blue GMCs.

Curious to know your thoughts on the mini-Duramax. We have a Colorado and opted for the V6, but it was a close call.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I have a back halfed first gen rx7 that I just can’t get the motivation to work on. Complete with around 1200-1500hp at around 2000lbs I’m hoping.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're gonna need more details on that one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Curious to know your thoughts on the mini-Duramax. We have a Colorado and opted for the V6, but it was a close call.

So far so good. It's my first diesel anything but they've clearly gone to considerable lengths to minimize how much it acts like one - at part throttle cruise it sounds like just about anything else and the clatter at idle is fairly minimal. Drives nicely - even through the peak power/weight ratio should be worse than the CR-V, the mass quantities of torque down low makes sure it doesn't feel any slower.

It's also the only truck that stands a chance of matching the CR-V on fuel mileage. The diesel half tons would probably be close but the only one of those that would be affordable would be the Ram. But considering they had one of those on the lot right next to this, I will gladly take the Canyon over it, because new half tons are stupid big.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Did this replace the CR-V?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It will, yeah. Not in a rush to sell the Honda since apparently I can't transfer the custom plate off of it until the first permanent plate shows up for the GMC. Trade in value on a 170k CR-V with one accident is a lot less than even the cheapest one on Craigslist.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ha, we considered one of those (or a 2500 dmax) before getting the gooseneck horse trailer and welp. Guess our CR-V is here for the long haul as originally planned and our future truck purchases will have to scale to match our trailers.

Did you ever install the VTC actuator? I guess I need to do the one on ours now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I haven't because the noise hasn't gotten any worse, and now I probably won't before I sell the car.

You want it? :v:

I would have slightly preferred buying a cheap 2500 with any engine for towing only but my wife thinks five cars would be too many. She's probably right. It's nice enough cruising around town that I'm fine with this, and so far on its own reporting we're doing over 27mpg.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't because the noise hasn't gotten any worse, and now I probably won't before I sell the car.

I would have slightly preferred buying a cheap 2500 with any engine for towing only but my wife thinks five cars would be too many. She's probably right. It's nice enough cruising around town that I'm fine with this, and so far on its own reporting we're doing over 27mpg.

Five cars too many? We just decided to downside to five...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you end up not using it, yeah I'll buy it off ya. I'm sure 12/13 is the same part? As I recall you were careful to find the updated actuator.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Took out the front seats so I could remove more carpet and pull the rear heat vents. There sure is a lot of unused volume under the front seats:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thank you for making me smile today.

taqueso posted:

Took out the front seats so I could remove more carpet and pull the rear heat vents. There sure is a lot of unused volume under the front seats:

Amplifiers go there. At least, that's what my mobile electronics past is telling me.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

Thank you for making me smile today.

This thing was made for smiles. Here’s my son’s reaction the first time we took it for a drive

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Started hearing a metal scraping metal noise while braking a couple of weeks ago. Turned into a constant scraping. Figured I needed new brake pads, even though they looked almost new when I changed the rotors 2 months ago.

Guess what? They still looked almost new. One of the shims was bent and scraping the rotor. :doh: Went ahead and threw the new pads on anyway, and after bedding in, they feel much better than the old ones. Basic Carquest organic pads, didn't come with new shims, but I bent the one roughly back to where it should be. By the amount of dust the others were throwing, I'm guessing they were also organic (or maybe semi-metallic).

I've been fighting a shaking while at highway speeds (and especially bad when accelerating at any speed) for awhile. Replaced one axle that was obviously hosed. The other side is newish, but was missing the roll pin. Got a roll pin, still shook, but it was shaking the steering wheel, so I assumed the axle was fubar anyway. While I had the front wheels off, I tried wiggling both axles to see how much play was in them. Both seem about the same. And now the shaking is almost gone. :iiam: Guess that other axle is indeed hosed (it's a Napa reman, the one I replaced was original, and replaced with a brand new Carquest axle).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 3, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bought it.

Nice! The color is really neat too. Are you planning on any light towing with it? I'm curious how it'd handled like 5000lb :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BlackMK4 posted:

Nice! The color is really neat too. Are you planning on any light towing with it? I'm curious how it'd handled like 5000lb :)

The gas is supposed to tow 7000 and the diesel allegedly tows 7700 so 5k shouldn’t be too bad

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I hope GM puts the baby Duramax in more things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm quite sure there are supposed to be more fins on that SAI pump fan:

Wonder where they could have gone? Oh....wait....this pump sounds like a maracca now that I have it off......

There they are.

$300 x 2 later and things seem okay. I'm gonna need a few days of cold starts to be sure none of that ended up in the very annoying to access kombi valve:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Yep - bought it to haul a two-horse trailer that I expect to be right around that weight when fully loaded. I need to haul the trailer over to a scale at some point.

The gas is supposed to tow 7000 and the diesel allegedly tows 7700 so 5k shouldn’t be too bad

7700lb for the 2WD diesel, which is what I've got. 4WD adds just enough weight to reduce that a bit. ZR2s are the exception since they're capped at 5000lb with either engine due to the flexy suspension setup.

Further impressions on it after a day's commute - I really, really like this truck, and the 2.8 / 6L50 is a very well matched combination. The only "weirdness" is that it seems like they might have made the WOT shift points almost a bit too late, because it pulls harder after an upshift. It's both bizarre and pleasant to do a pull from 60 to 80 at heavy throttle and get there quickly without even a kickdown shift.

The biggest thing I'm going to have to get used to is the length. It's 16" longer than my mom's old GMT360 Trailblazer EXT, and even 4" longer than the GMT400 Suburban I learned to drive in. But unlike either of those it doesn't feel that long in any situation other than parking.

It's a solid three feet longer than my C10.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep - bought it to haul a two-horse trailer that I expect to be right around that weight when fully loaded. I need to haul the trailer over to a scale at some point.

Oh, so you bought a NICE trailer. My old rear end 80s steel horse trailer would have just about overloaded that thing with nothing more than a couple bales of hay and a bucket of water in it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

More shiny

Cut the 3rd row ducts and blocked them off, added some foam to the duct piece where it might touch

night sight photo is amazing, that duct was very dark

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

tehk posted:

I have a back halfed first gen rx7 that I just can’t get the motivation to work on. Complete with around 1200-1500hp at around 2000lbs I’m hoping.

Tucked wheels look so good.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Finally became one with it :unsmigghh:

Incidentally, does anyone know the fill level for a 2013 V6 manual Accord transmission? All the manual says is "take it to the dealer" :jerkbag:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Napa's tech data says 2.2 quarts of Honda MTF.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Funny, because I got the bright idea to look in the "capacities" section of the manual and it said 2.0 on the nose. But take it to the dealer to check it

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

It calls for 2.0 in the 4c engine but 2.2 in the v6.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Ah, now I see it. They have totally separated the sections for 4 and 6 cylinder models, instead of listing them together but specifying which is which like they do with everything else. :rolleye:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

More foam, this time it's memory foam carpet pad, glued in where the ducts used to be

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

:frogsiren: MTF SHOULD NOT LOOK LIKE THIS!!! :frogsiren:

Also it had the distinct cat piss/sulphur smell of gear oil. Also that gallon bottle was very close to 3/4 full. I'm only sorry I didn't do this a lot sooner. Won't hurt the transmission's performance to be sure.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New wheels and tires on SLO RICE. The 16” setup was fairly heavy and the DWS tires were down to the D

15” Sparco FF1 and 205/55/15 Direzza DZ102. Once the suspension settles they’ll be perfect. Garage lighting is suboptimal.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The EP3 was a controversial change but I have a lot of love for it. Still want a dash shifter too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Panty Saluter posted:

The EP3 was a controversial change but I have a lot of love for it. Still want a dash shifter too

Love the dash shifter

Suspension settled back down on the drive to work today