Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I always feel like a dick not thanking people but then I don't want to pointlessly spam the thread. And I'ma pass on the Discord, politics ain't my thing. Need a UK Discord where people just chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

I always feel like a dick not thanking people but then I don't want to pointlessly spam the thread. And I'ma pass on the Discord, politics ain't my thing. Need a UK Discord where people just chill.

Yeah that's fair enough, we're generally chill but I absolutely appreciate that a community of like-minded individuals are hardly the kind of place someone wants to wander into. You'll always be welcome though!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

artsy fartsy posted:

Are they scented?
Nope. They've just got aloe vera and vitamin E.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
I'm looking to apply a protective "clear coat" to color images printed by a laser printer on regular paper. Is there any kind of spray that won't ruin or obscure the image?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

socketwrencher posted:

I'm looking to apply a protective "clear coat" to color images printed by a laser printer on regular paper. Is there any kind of spray that won't ruin or obscure the image?

Protection from what? You could lightly apply a non gloss clear spray lacquer and that would protect from smudging and dirt to a degree. Putting it inside a plastic sleeve would offer the above, plus some spill resistance and prevent tearing . Laminating it would add almost 100% water proofing.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

socketwrencher posted:

https://www.krylon.com/products/crystal-clear-acrylic/

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

socketwrencher posted:

Lamination is probably better for that, all told.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Thanks all, this is a big help.

CzarChasm posted:

Protection from what? You could lightly apply a non gloss clear spray lacquer and that would protect from smudging and dirt to a degree. Putting it inside a plastic sleeve would offer the above, plus some spill resistance and prevent tearing . Laminating it would add almost 100% water proofing.

Protection from moisture- the prints (about 4" x 4") will be going on a bathroom wall near a shower. My wife doesn't want to go the sleeve or lamination route if possible.

This looks great- Cheers!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Lamination is probably better for that, all told.

We may end up doing this, but will try the Krylon first.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Is there a thread somewhere where I could ask for help with getting an old 16 bit pc game to run on a modern computer?

I've tried virtual machines which get further than my Windows 10 machine but I'm running into trouble and want to know if there are, like, general things to try.

Thanks in advance!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

CzarChasm posted:

This one goes to HR and other Hiring Goons - Does a cover letter make a difference? Has there ever been a time where you thought "Well, his resume's good, but no cover letter. Too bad"?

This varies from field to field, place to place, and from job to job within a place. If you're applying for part time work at my place of work, no one cares (but maybe it'll get scanned for keywords before hiring managers get to look at it). But if you're applying for a full time job and haven't bothered to include a cover letter, it might not be a dealbreaker, but it's not a great sign.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

Is there a thread somewhere where I could ask for help with getting an old 16 bit pc game to run on a modern computer?

I've tried virtual machines which get further than my Windows 10 machine but I'm running into trouble and want to know if there are, like, general things to try.

Thanks in advance!

Is DOSBox a viable option for what you're trying to do?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Penguissimo posted:

Is DOSBox a viable option for what you're trying to do?

I can't get DOSBox to install the game (the game is something called "Pyramiden: Gåtan Vid Nilens Strand" by the way, very Swedish) at all but now that you mention it maybe I can just pull the installed version out of one of my VMs and run it like that.

What I've done so far is install it on Windows XP in VMWare Workstation and then run it in Windows 95 Compatibility Mode and it runs the intro movies but then gets "Internal Error" with no further explanation and closes.

Sorry if this is turning into a bigger question. Again, if there's anywhere else to ask I'll gladly take it there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Did anything happen with that Twitter campaign a little while back to get Disney lawyers to attack the companies that just print whatever without paying attention to copyright?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

owlhawk911 posted:

this is largely true but pretty defeatist too.

*throwaway emails for the dumbass apps you sign up for. there are tons of sites for this. i've used better ones but i remember mailinator first most of the time because of its catchy name. don't do this for banking or w/e else actually touches your life, do do this anytime you wonder why you have to make an account to use a service. sometimes websites block addresses from these sites at registration, but there are a *lot* of them so just try another if that happens.

I tried using the temporary password and sms phone number sites to register for stuff. To no avail.

Basically everything I tried to register for recognized that the email accounts and sms numbers were temporary and thus not available for use.

The internet evolves quickly.

Anybody got recommendations for lesser known websites that have temporary emails and sms numbers, that aren’t widely blocked?

Even the so called anonymous emails want to verify with a phone number... which kind of ruins the dang point

TURGID TOMFOOLERY fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 31, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m looking to watch a movie. Ice Road Terror. It’s on prime video, but not in Canada. It’s also not on iTunes or Google play. I don’t have an amazon prime account in the US but it is streaming on Prime Video there, apparently.

I can’t figure out if some other rental service has it available and I don’t know if there’s like a service that searches all of them at once like “can I stream it”. How can I watch this movie?

Comedy option is the $150 DVD on Amazon. I will not pay $150 for this movie, but $3 would be good.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

tuyop posted:

I’m looking to watch a movie. Ice Road Terror. It’s on prime video, but not in Canada. It’s also not on iTunes or Google play. I don’t have an amazon prime account in the US but it is streaming on Prime Video there, apparently.

I can’t figure out if some other rental service has it available and I don’t know if there’s like a service that searches all of them at once like “can I stream it”. How can I watch this movie?

Comedy option is the $150 DVD on Amazon. I will not pay $150 for this movie, but $3 would be good.
It is not available on Prime Video in the US either, or possibly anywhere. The best "where can I watch this?" site is Just Watch which says you can buy it on iTunes for $5.99.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

It is not available on Prime Video in the US either, or possibly anywhere. The best "where can I watch this?" site is Just Watch which says you can buy it on iTunes for $5.99.

I am most sad.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How do I back up a Linux system, including the OS?

I have a system running some old software that I'm going to try and modernize, but first I want to make a copy of the system to an ISO or something, such that I can restore it in case of total catastrophe. The OS and version also needs saving, exactly as-is, and the disk needs to boot straight up from the restoration. Essentially, I can write the ISO to a blank drive, stick it in the computer, and it boots up perfectly, with no other fuckery whatsoever.

I've used Clonezilla to clone the disk 1:1, the problem is there's a lot of empty space 'cloned', and the image is ten times larger than the actual data on the disk, which makes it impractical to store and restore.

Is there a way to backup the data on the disk, including the OS (as an ISO or other disk image), including the boot loader or whatever's necessary for the drive to boot, but without including all the empty space?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've cloned OS disks with the Samsung tool before, without any issues (that I didn't cause myself). It's free on their website, might be worth a look?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

How do I back up a Linux system, including the OS?

I have a system running some old software that I'm going to try and modernize, but first I want to make a copy of the system to an ISO or something, such that I can restore it in case of total catastrophe. The OS and version also needs saving, exactly as-is, and the disk needs to boot straight up from the restoration. Essentially, I can write the ISO to a blank drive, stick it in the computer, and it boots up perfectly, with no other fuckery whatsoever.

I've used Clonezilla to clone the disk 1:1, the problem is there's a lot of empty space 'cloned', and the image is ten times larger than the actual data on the disk, which makes it impractical to store and restore.

Is there a way to backup the data on the disk, including the OS (as an ISO or other disk image), including the boot loader or whatever's necessary for the drive to boot, but without including all the empty space?

dd conv=sparse if=/dev/sda of=/copy.raw

Then to restore:
dd of=/dev/sda if=/copy.raw

Sparse images should be more reflective of real data present. Don't write the copy to the same disk you are copying from. Don't restore to the same disk you are live off of.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
I want to watch my old 8mm cassettes. I understand there isn't a VCR Tape converter for these, so how do I watch all of my old 8mm tapes? I don't have an 8mm camera. Would it just be best to find a cheap 8mm camera and go from there? Not interested in transferring them to DVD -- I just want to watch them on the TV for the cheapest price possible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kolby posted:

Would it just be best to find a cheap 8mm camera and go from there?

Yes, absolutely. They are their own format so you're gonna need a player for that format.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Methanar posted:

dd conv=sparse if=/dev/sda of=/copy.raw

Then to restore:
dd of=/dev/sda if=/copy.raw

Sparse images should be more reflective of real data present. Don't write the copy to the same disk you are copying from. Don't restore to the same disk you are live off of.

Can this image then be restored through something like macOS Disk Utility (pointing it to a HDD with an enclosure and then pulling out the drive to put directly into the new system)? I imagine restoring the backup to just be "copy the image to a new disk, put it in the system".

I'm actually backing up a system that runs some robotic machinery. The system is functional and good, but it's getting old and I'm looking to modernize the OS, packages, etc. In the event of a colossal fuckup, I basically want to be able to swap back in a 'ready-to-go' drive that was exactly as the system was before I started loving with it. Will that work for this scenario?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can this image then be restored through something like macOS Disk Utility (pointing it to a HDD with an enclosure and then pulling out the drive to put directly into the new system)? I imagine restoring the backup to just be "copy the image to a new disk, put it in the system".

I'm actually backing up a system that runs some robotic machinery. The system is functional and good, but it's getting old and I'm looking to modernize the OS, packages, etc. In the event of a colossal fuckup, I basically want to be able to swap back in a 'ready-to-go' drive that was exactly as the system was before I started loving with it. Will that work for this scenario?

What you're doing with that dd command is taking a bit-level copy of the entire block device. The original question was to copy the operating system too. The issue with doing a file-level backup of a machine, like doing a cp -r / to another disk is that doesn't copy over things like the partition table or MBR so you won't actually be able to boot your copy. Bit level copies are bootable.

Dealing with disk images for any kind of embedded/robot/cloneable thing is definitely the way to go. The restore really is just a re-application of the bits you've copied. I have no idea how macOS's backup tool works. bit-level images copies also dedupe really well, if you're taking regular snapshots of something, if you store them on ZFS or something.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Wouldn't a bootable Macrium Reflect (or Acronis or whatever) thumbdrive hugely simplify things here? Or am I missing something that my totally-don't-know-poo poo-about-linux self would be unaware of? Hell with a large enough thumbdrive you could just dump an image right there, I think. (Don't remember if it shows up as a usable drive in the PE/RE environment.)

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 2, 2020

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Wouldn't a bootable Macrium Reflect (or Acronis or whatever) thumbdrive hugely simplify things here? Or am I missing something that my totally-don't-know-poo poo-about-linux self would be unaware of? Hell with a large enough thumbdrive you could just dump an image right there, I think. (Don't remember if it shows up as a usable drive in the PE/RE environment.)

dd has been included on every unix system since like, 1975. Any of those other tools are doing the same bit-level copy thing if they are capable of producing bootable backups.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 2, 2020

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I have three slightly odd questions:

1) I saw a documentary once about this subculture in the south of the USA, particularly around Louisiana. Black guys who wear absolutely ridiculously cool OTT suits in really really bright colours, and have these gatherings where they trade insults in a formal, stylised sort of way. I think there was a French name for them. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, or did I have a slightly racist hallucination?

2) Does the style of motel that's always being seen in movies and tv shows, with the upstairs balcony and the rooms being little individual apartments have a particular name?

3) Does anyone have a good basic explanation of iambic pentameter? poo poo makes no sense to me.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Disgusting Coward posted:

3) Does anyone have a good basic explanation of iambic pentameter? poo poo makes no sense to me.

Syllables in words are either stressed or unstressed (a-BOVE, SIM-ple, i-AM-bic). An iamb is two syllables, the first unstressed, the second stressed. Iambic pentameter is five iambs (not necessarily words) in a row.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

2) Does the style of motel that's always being seen in movies and tv shows, with the upstairs balcony and the rooms being little individual apartments have a particular name?

motel *is* the specific name for those, it's short for motor hotel. that's what they all looked like post-everyone has cars but pre-population density necessitating high rise everything

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I have three slightly odd questions:

1) I saw a documentary once about this subculture in the south of the USA, particularly around Louisiana. Black guys who wear absolutely ridiculously cool OTT suits in really really bright colours, and have these gatherings where they trade insults in a formal, stylised sort of way. I think there was a French name for them. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, or did I have a slightly racist hallucination?

To round out your answers, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Sape.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I love the comedy show Kath and Kim. Are the Trude and Prue characters based on some kind of Australian stereotype?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

artsy fartsy posted:

I love the comedy show Kath and Kim. Are the Trude and Prue characters based on some kind of Australian stereotype?

Yes. Every middle aged woman who works at an Australian department store.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Helith posted:

One day I'll visit your beautiful and exotic land :allears:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

One day I'll visit your beautiful and exotic land :allears:

Looks kind of like Fallout 3 these days, heartbreakingly.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Oh, right. That. :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

artsy fartsy posted:

Helith posted:

Middle-aged rich women working a do-nothing job out of boredom

It's of note that when one of them says she wants to "go bush", find somewhere off the beaten track, the place she names is Noosa (one of the most popular holiday destinations in Australia).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an excel sheet with data with weekly data going back 15 years. I'd like to chart each year's data on a line graph, so it would be 52 data points on the x axis, and 15 lines (although if that gets crowded I can do fewer years at a time). My question is, is there a way to get excel to break up each year's worth of data into a new line on the chart? All the data I need is currently in two columns, the first column being the date of the Sunday for that week, and the second being the data for the y axis.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So basically you want each year as a separate line, and you want them to all overlap to compare to each other, right?

You'd have to correlate the data points for each year to a week number (1-52), rather than an absolute date. And when you create the chart, you'll need to split up each years worth of data in to a separate series.

Ideally your data would be formatted such that the WEEK is the first column, and every column after that is a year. But that's not strictly necessary. Honestly all you need to do is select each year's worth of data for each series. Without a cell reference for the X-axis, Excel will just default to incremental numbers starting at 1.

Not knowing how good you are at excel, though, I dunno exactly where you're tripped up.

edit:

So Office's online help is pretty good. Unfortunately any links I find are not coming up... might be down. Other than that, Google is probably the world's #1 Excel instructor. If you google

This one might be helpful:

https://www.criticaltosuccess.com/adding-a-data-series-to-an-excel-chart/

That's assuming you already have a chart, but if you want to do this with minimal data massaging you will want to create a chart with just the 1st year's data (Y values only, no dates), and then follow those instructions to capture each subsequent year's data. Bit of a roundabout way to do it, but probably just as time consuming as trying to reformat all the existing data.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 6, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I was really hoping there was a way to make excel break the data up automagically, but I can move it into separate 52-week series and do it that way with a little copy/pasting. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
haha gently caress me, turns out there is a function for this: WEEKNUM()

Here I was thinking that this is kind of an oddball request, but Excel has thought of everything:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/weeknum-function-e5c43a03-b4ab-426c-b411-b18c13c75340

(office's help site seems to be working again, if a bit slow for me at least)

edit:

Still not entirely sure this would help you overall, though. You'd still have to go through each data set and move/massage things around. If this is a one-off thing, it's probably quickest to brute force it the way I described earlier.

But that said, the WEEKNUM() function would at least standardize things for you to some sort of "official" week number, rather than just assuming the 1st data point of 2015 is actually in week 1.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 6, 2020