Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Sure, they're cowards that flee the moment they see the opportunity to pass the buck to someone else. Their plans for the good place was clearly (to me anyway) a commentary on the pitfalls of incrementalism (well if we just made the unicorns 4% bigger...) and was further evidence that the system needed a complete overhaul instead of little means-tested tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The door is totally a metaphor for suicide which is why it's painless, involves telling everyone you know and them being happy for you, leaves no body or mess behind and was explicitly explained as your essence moving onto something new, greater and unknowable on like, six occasions, including the end where they literally show that you still exist in the universe in some form and get to help people.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Catfishenfuego posted:

The door is totally a metaphor for suicide which is why it's painless, involves telling everyone you know and them being happy for you, leaves no body or mess behind and was explicitly explained as your essence moving onto something new, greater and unknowable on like, six occasions, including the end where they literally show that you still exist in the universe in some form and get to help people.

Also before your "suicide" you get to spend and ageless near-eternity with your friends and family doing anything you want in the known universe with no fear of sickness or poverty or any other kind of hardship

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Catfishenfuego posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODV6mxVVRZk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You mean the song whose explicit and intended purpose was to be ""stupidest song ever written" It's also a reference to the character name, not suicide being actually painless.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Posted this in the B99 thread, but Marc Evan Jackson is now doing a B99 podcast with the same format as The Good Place one. First 6 episodes came out today.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Good article with the philosophers that had cameos in the finale and whose work influenced the series

https://slate.com/culture/2020/02/the-good-place-finale-ending-explained-philosopher-cameos-analysis.html

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Actually tahini has simply been further entrapped in Samsara by her connections to this world ya dinks
Actually you’ll find tahini is entrapped in jars in aisle 12

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Pwned

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Amazing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This thread just took a saucy turn.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arist posted:

That's at best tangential to the plot and completely unimportant to the things the story is actually about. It's pointless to think about. It's irrelevant.

The plot is "people haven't been going to the good place for a long time because the points system is broken"
That plot involves the main characters showing they can improve.

So I think how time works is important to that plot!

And yea I hate Dr who because what happens in it hasn't got any rules.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For a bittersweet ending, I’m tasting more of the bitter than the sweet.

I respect the ending for its send off of the cast, which came across as heartfelt and fair – the impression that everyone earned their happy ending felt cathartic.

Approaching the ending as an attempt to imagine “the ideal vision of the best and most equitable afterlife” is where I start to feel unsettled. There is some sort of tension I believe we need to experience for life to feel alive. Maybe not necessarily to the extent of “death gives life meaning” but some sort of struggle even in a paradise afterlife to maintain goodness, as opposed to a retirement villa of eternal relaxation or fulfillment. If the best that a good place can offer is to discover and meet all personal fulfillments, and assuming that fulfillment of all life sentience has been met leaving no need to offer assistance, then I empathize with the next step of choosing eudemonic euthanasia as a way to end things on a high note.

I think this choice is limited to our imagination as finite human beings. Tahani’s choice strikes me as the one option that gravitates towards a path of continual challenge and creativity, though I guess it leaves the question open of what happens if she gets bored, or mortal humanity comes to an end and being an architect as a vocation becomes obsolete.

Although the general impression I get is that going through the door is total annihilation, I took the floating light essences to hint at a panentheistic influence where the “retired” can still exert a positive influence. This still doesn’t feel ideal to me.

I like to imagine that the ideal step after being bored with the best human afterlife lived out would be imagining a next step evolution/revolution – perhaps the pursuit of becoming a Janet-equivalent. I think depicting this within the series would have been an incongruent story-wise as it would break from the human character development we learned over four seasons, but part of me wishes that this was the other option besides the door (maybe this is something achievable as Tahani becomes an architect through infinity).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thinking that heaven isn’t heaven without eternal struggle is a hell of a take.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Worth remembering that although the Good Place was represented to the characters as a perfect Heaven/Nirvana as a reward for good behaviour, that often turned out to be misleading. The first neighbourhood being in the Bad Place, the point system locking the door for 600 years, through to the final twist that infinite, non-stop indulgence made for a bad experience in the nominal Good Place. Our protagonists described what they set out to do as fix the afterlife, but that's not the same as saying you're creating unassailable paradise. I mean, a world with infinite resources where every inhabitant is the best version of themselves will be pretty nice, but it doesn't need to be perfect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Please enjoy the whole calendar.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

YES! YES! OH GOD YES! IT EVEN HAS THE WRESTLER OUTFIT REPEATED FOR ALL OF BEARIMY!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I work at a print shop and I am extremely tempted by a physical version of that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh there’s a whole thread on Twitter to help.

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1224757383408173057

pwn
May 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I work at a print shop and I am extremely tempted by a physical version of that
Goon project? I’ll make the website

Seriously NBC has given us permission to DiY so please make some and give them away* without taking any money of any kind.

*to us†

†to me

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can’t imagine NBC aren’t already starting up the printing presses.

pwn
May 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t imagine NBC aren’t already starting up the printing presses.

They're leaving money on the table if they don't.

But of course an official product will have, at the very least, a bit of copyright text on it somewhere, and probably a UPC too. Better to make your own screen-accurate prop replica. Fire up your... thing that prints 12x24 full-bleed full-colour double-sided pages and get to assembling!

7 physical sheets, each double-sided, final folded size of 12x12"

I strongly suggest using AdBlock on this site. Ads may well be :nws:. The actual download link looks like this when using AdBlock:

Notice the number of blocked ads :pwn:

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Arist posted:

I legitimately don't know how to say this politely Taear: the things you're getting upset about aren't important to the story in the least and I cannot imagine caring about them

Finally. This.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I gotta say I'm pretty sad about no episode tonight.

Okay okay yeah we started rewatching and got through the first four episodes.

Eleanor was clearly so much more attracted to Tahani though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I gotta say I'm pretty sad about no episode tonight.

Okay okay yeah we started rewatching and got through the first four episodes.

For real.

I feel like Tahani got really short shrift in the final season - more or less nothing to do character arc-wise, and most of her lines were that one tired joke about namedropping celebrities repeated forever. I like Chidi and Eleanor, but it felt like the final season-and-a-half or so became the Chidi and Eleanor show with Tahani and Jason as their sidekicks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Turns out it’s reciprocated!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Forget the calendar, check out the menu of every food seen on the show.

https://thefoodplace.cafe/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I saw that. Very good follow on Twitter by the by.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just when I thought I couldn't love her enough Jameela Jamil came out as queer on Twitter :swoon:

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Android Blues posted:

For real.

I feel like Tahani got really short shrift in the final season - more or less nothing to do character arc-wise, and most of her lines were that one tired joke about namedropping celebrities repeated forever. I like Chidi and Eleanor, but it felt like the final season-and-a-half or so became the Chidi and Eleanor show with Tahani and Jason as their sidekicks.

Tahani and Jason were too weak to be main or even regular characters.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Strongly disagree!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Jason was fine. Tahani was just underwritten in the last half, she had plenty of good beats in the first 2.5 seasons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

The Good Place has ruined TV. I'm watching a dumb TV show right now that could have had a deep analysis of whether or not criminality is in one's nature or comes from environmental factors. Instead it had the shallowest of references to the question, and then did the whole TV show thing (of purely being entertainment)

That's a super boring question that you basically figure out in middle school the first time they teach human development, and possibly just by reading that question for the first time ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

That's a super boring question that you basically figure out in middle school the first time they teach human development, and possibly just by reading that question for the first time ever.

*waves hand at the vast majority of Americans*

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

The X-man cometh posted:

Forget the calendar, check out the menu of every food seen on the show.

https://thefoodplace.cafe/

I can't believe how my brain is trying to pronounce this.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

boo_radley posted:

I can't believe how my brain is trying to pronounce this.

This made me seek out the Whose Line Irish Drinking Song that ends with "You can get poo from fo͝od!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3jvzkoi-g

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
finishing bojack horseman last night and then finishing the good place just now was an extremely bad idea, i think im in a full on existential spiral at work

good show though, i think that loving wave quote from chidi completely broke me

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Sitcoms then: The ending sucked, it was a glorified clip show.

Sitcoms now: The ending sucked, it didn't present a flawless representation of a universally perfect afterlife.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
It's fuckin Battlestar Galactica all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

pseudosavior posted:

It's fuckin Battlestar Galactica all over again.

Okay yeah but the final season of bsg really was subpar.