Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ma i married a tuna posted:

So after several days of large, but roughly linear increases I'm wondering whether that means something in terms of containment. I remember in 2014 Ebola something similar happened - when people were initially were very concerned about exponential increase, and attributed the increase to limitations of measurement rather than an actual picture. I would guess that testing capacity increase in Wuhan is a big priority, so if we're not seeing bigger numbers day by day it is possible the containment has some effect.

Or, you know, all the testing kits are clutched in dying fingers and doomsday is near.

They straight up said they can only process about 2k tests per day. Several studies have basically said 'yeah, it's probably like 75k, but we can't prove it. Yet.' Between the no symptoms communicability of this, long incubation period, plus the severe respiratory issues that result from it, this is gonna get way worse before it gets better. Ebola on the other hand, doesn't have nearly the incubation period, and the communicability of it once you know it's there is super low, as basic quarantine and hygiene are able to contain it easily enough.

Keep in mind, deaths are only reported if they are:
A) Admitted to the hospital (this is hard when there are lines hours long just to be told 'you have the flu, go home')
B) They are tested (They're limited to about 2k test kits a day, based on a few reports)
C) You die of Corona and nothing else (If you have any preexisting conditions that Corona aggravates, like Emphysema or bad Asthma, congrats, you died from those, not Corona)

TheBuilder posted:

The other Chinese provinces are possibly suppressing numbers because they don't want to get poo poo on by Beijing

It's probably closer to 'we can't be blamed for not finding what people try so hard to hide' while whistling and looking anywhere but at sick people. But yes, there is a big incentive for everyone to under-report cases, at least in the short to medium term.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
also sometimes three or even four tests have been needed to show a positive. i'm sure many infected people have been sent home with unspecified viral pneumonia after testing negative

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I wouldn’t be surprised if a majority of the Wuhan hospital staff become symptomatic within the next week.

It boggles the mind to believe someone could marinate in that environment for so long and NOT get infected, even with masks, gloves and shields.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Golli posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a majority of the Wuhan hospital staff become symptomatic within the next week.

It boggles the mind to believe someone could marinate in that environment for so long and NOT get infected, even with masks, gloves and shields.

Meh, i'm in a family of 6 and one of us can get launching fluids from both ends and no one else gets it. disinfect, wash everything after, and just common sense can go a long way

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They straight up said they can only process about 2k tests per day. Several studies have basically said 'yeah, it's probably like 75k, but we can't prove it. Yet.' Between the no symptoms communicability of this, long incubation period, plus the severe respiratory issues that result from it, this is gonna get way worse before it gets better. Ebola on the other hand, doesn't have nearly the incubation period, and the communicability of it once you know it's there is super low, as basic quarantine and hygiene are able to contain it easily enough.

A) Admitted to the hospital (this is hard when there are lines hours long just to be told 'you have the flu, go home')
B) They are tested (They're limited to about 2k test kits a day, based on a few reports)
C) You die of Corona and nothing else (If you have any preexisting conditions that Corona aggravates, like Emphysema or bad Asthma, congrats, you died from those, not Corona)

It's probably closer to 'we can't be blamed for not finding what people try so hard to hide' while whistling and looking anywhere but at sick people. But yes, there is a big incentive for everyone to under-report cases, at least in the short to medium term.

I guess the positive read on all this is presuming we're all going to catch this sooner or later there's probably a good chance it's less deadly than the numbers are showing.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

So after several days of large, but roughly linear increases I'm wondering whether that means something in terms of containment. I remember in 2014 Ebola something similar happened - when people were initially were very concerned about exponential increase, and attributed the increase to limitations of measurement rather than an actual picture. I would guess that testing capacity increase in Wuhan is a big priority, so if we're not seeing bigger numbers day by day it is possible the containment has some effect.

Or, you know, all the testing kits are clutched in dying fingers and doomsday is near.

the testing kit is locked in a safe and we have to wait for the state minister to arrive to open it

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

lmao cruising
i always knew it would be my death

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chrs posted:

What do you think it’ll be like for the average adult?

If reports from China are accurate then it's just going to be lovely flu symptoms for most adults. But some massive fraction, probably more than 10% and almost certainly more than 1%, will still wind up in critical condition or dead. That's a huge and worrying number

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

jesus, the way they all look like they're shrieking even after death

potentially :nms:

Bat Country Buffet

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
just discussed with SO, if one of our kids gets this thing only one parent can care for him/her so the other can live and take care of the rest

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Mnoba posted:

just discussed with SO, if one of our kids gets this thing only one parent can care for him/her so the other can live and take care of the rest

Joke's on you, it's not infecting kids at all

:rip:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
JFC Mnoba has kids.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
that person fucks!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mnoba posted:

Did you draw straws

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Woodchip posted:

that person fucks!

Well now you're making some big assumptions.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
My flights between Hong Kong and the US were cancelled. I was going to stock up on masks while I was there. And I guess see family or whatever, but my masks :(

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

bones 4 beginners posted:

My flights between Hong Kong and the US were cancelled. I was going to stock up on masks while I was there. And I guess see family or whatever, but my masks :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

RandomBlue posted:

JFC Mnoba has kids.

leave my dad alone

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Ordered a ThinkPad at the end of December. Was supposed to ship 29 Jan and arrive 5 Feb. Got an email last Friday explaining that, "due to extraordinary circumstances," my laptop has been delayed by 1-3 weeks.

Pretty sure my laptop is sitting forlorn in a now abandoned Chinese factory. Outside, the few survivors envy the dead.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

The rampant, proven trend of people downplaying this pandemic is actively harmful to containment efforts, and lovely tone policing like yours doesn't help, either. gently caress off. This is a serious problem that we're talking about

You're right we should listen to you more carefully since you source all of your data from only the finest wikipedia articles and Twitter accounts. Also your degree in ??? and years of doing ??? put you in a strong position to accurately and intelligently preach to the masses about this virus.

Nobody's policing anything, you can wax philosophical about how all of your intellectual lessers fail to extrapolate and I can point and laugh at you about it. We can both be happy here as we wait for death.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ordered a ThinkPad at the end of December. Was supposed to ship 29 Jan and arrive 5 Feb. Got an email last Friday explaining that, "due to extraordinary circumstances," my laptop has been delayed by 1-3 weeks.

Pretty sure my laptop is sitting forlorn in a now abandoned Chinese factory. Outside, the few survivors envy the dead.

Order a few cases of water and ammunition instead.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Lambert posted:

Regarding your original posting: Really makes you think

Also, the argument is that millions won't die because reasonable measures are taken against the spread of the virus. Should be a concept even a brain genius like you should be able to understand.

That has been precisely my point. I've not been the one claiming it's far worse than it is and highly likely to cause mass death. As I said earlier in the thread, it's not 1918 anymore and it's highly unlikely that any virus emerging in the modern era could achieve even a 10th of what the Spanish Flu did. And this one certainly doesn't seem likely to.

Still I made it about an hour into my two week thread posting embargo. Pretty good going.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

QuarkJets posted:

If reports from China are accurate then it's just going to be lovely flu symptoms for most adults. But some massive fraction, probably more than 10% and almost certainly more than 1%, will still wind up in critical condition or dead. That's a huge and worrying number

source? I'm seeing the "less than 3%" number estimation still.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Where did you hear only around 2k tests were processed? I've also heard several of the points you raise - lacking test availability, multiple tests needed, people turned away at hospitals, undercounting because of comorbitity, and several studies guessing at the true number of infected. Even with all those facts in place I would expect testing ability to increase as the response to the virus keeps getting scaled up. Especially outside Wuhan, where health systems are less overwhelmed, I would expect that health workers know that containment is a much more realistic prospect with fast and thorough testing.

Asymptomatic transmission is still a bit of a question mark, as far as I heard (although fecal-oral is likely, adding the "waterborne" checkmark)
I also think that the incentive to under-report was much stronger in the previous weeks. By now, areas that are affected but not overwhelmed might realize that they WILL get supplies and aid in response to their needs.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fecal-oral is likely

Is there some Chinese custom I'm not aware of or is it just a common transmission vector for that kind of virus ?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a good tagline for 2020 in general

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

Is there some Chinese custom I'm not aware of or is it just a common transmission vector for that kind of virus ?

It's generational, not specifically Chinese. It's called the "millennial hello".

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

unpacked robinhood posted:

The latter. It's a term for a specific disease profile having some basis in touch-a the poo poo. Cholera is the most famous but pink eye and a bunch of pedestrian stuff are in there too.

Basically, wash your hands every time you come in from a public space.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

source? I'm seeing the "less than 3%" number estimation still.

The BNO estimates, which come with their own sources, place the mortality rate at less than 3%, but mortality + critical condition is larger than that

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

QuarkJets posted:

The BNO estimates, which come with their own sources, place the mortality rate at less than 3%, but mortality + critical condition is larger than that

link please

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

link please

The BNO running tally, which links to all of the other analysis, gets posted here practically every other page. Here:

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
What happened to that Chinese doctor that called out the PRC honchos a few days ago to "serve the people" or whatever stupid platitude the PRC always blather about. He was going to send all the health pros home for a day of rest and let the weasels politicos man the barricades.

He's with the book sellers now, isn't he?

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
BTW, where's the Grand Exalted Emperor Pooh been lately?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

QuarkJets posted:

The BNO running tally, which links to all of the other analysis, gets posted here practically every other page. Here:

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

yeah, that's what I found also. Just wondered where you got the estimates about "probably more than 10% and almost certainly more than 1%, will still wind up in critical condition or dead," since I haven't seen those.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

yeah, that's what I found also. Just wondered where you got the estimates about "probably more than 10% and almost certainly more than 1%, will still wind up in critical condition or dead," since I haven't seen those.

It comes from those numbers. If you look at Hubei the number of people in serious condition or worse is close to 20%; I rounded down to the nearest order of magnitude

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

doctorfrog posted:

It's been generally consistent over the last week that around 10-20% rate for hospitalization (serious/critical), for example last week:

quote:

As of 24:00 on January 28, 2020, Hubei Province has cumulatively reported 3554 cases of pneumonia caused by new coronavirus infection (including 1905 cases in Wuhan City, 86 cases in Huangshi City, 88 cases in Shiyan City, 131 cases in Xiangyang City, 63 cases in Yichang City, 101 cases in Jingzhou City, 142 cases in Jingmen City, 84 cases in Ezhou City, 274 cases in Xiaogan City, 324 cases in Huanggang City, 112 cases in Xianning City, 116 cases in Suizhou City, 51 cases in Enshi Prefecture, 32 cases in Xiantao City, 34 cases in Tianmen City, There were 8 cases in Qianjiang and 3 cases in Shennongjia Forest District. 80 cases were cured and 125 died (including 104 cases in Wuhan, 1 in Huangshi City, 1 in Yichang City, 2 in Jingzhou City, 4 in Jingmen City, and Ezhou City). 1 case, 3 in Xiaogan, 5 in Huanggang City, 3 in Tianmen, and 1 in Qianjiang). At present, 3349 patients are still being treated in the hospital, of which 671 are seriously ill and 228 are critically ill, and they are all receiving isolation treatment at designated medical institutions. A total of 22,095 close contacts have been tracked, and 20,366 people are still under medical observation.

Estimates were 5,800 cases at that time, having 900 out of 5,800 people (15%) needing to hospitalized is insane--there isn't capacity for it. Lots of people are going to die who would have otherwise lived if everything wasn't so slammed and overflowing, especially once it hits big on NYC/DC/London/Toyko metros and stuff like that.

Again the only silver lining is that are a lot more cases going on than what's report so it's probably not that bad, but even if it's 3x those numbers still puts ~5% rate for hospitalization which is loving huge.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thank you for the explanation, it's both weird to me that this isn't being discussed more in the media that I've seen/heard and that it's often nowhere near "frontpage news."

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

This is heart-wrenchingly awful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/eyifpf/people_outside_the_statistics_they_died_of/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I feel like it's just a matter of time before it spreads in the US and that terrifies me. I'm especially scared for my 2 year old who has had some abnormally rough colds and has already gotten walking pneumonia once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Illuminti posted:

That has been precisely my point. I've not been the one claiming it's far worse than it is and highly likely to cause mass death. As I said earlier in the thread, it's not 1918 anymore and it's highly unlikely that any virus emerging in the modern era could achieve even a 10th of what the Spanish Flu did. And this one certainly doesn't seem likely to.

Still I made it about an hour into my two week thread posting embargo. Pretty good going.
Yes lol
Stay, its ok