Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
lmao so apparently if we can't get things hobbling along for basic we're going to scrap sonar and just filter into other divisions to be maintenance bitches for the next deployment

im really hoping thats a bad joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Hope you like doing laundry or washing pots.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well its not like surface ship sonar is worth a poo poo anyways.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Day one out of the Navy. It sure was a thing serving with you all in a Global Force For Good being Forced By The Sea.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

boy are my arms tired posted:

New motto for the Navy

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

maffew buildings posted:

Day one out of the Navy. It sure was a thing serving with you all in a Global Force For Good being Forced By The Sea.

don't forget the part about protecting us from pirates

that was the best drat part of the swearing in

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

lmao so apparently if we can't get things hobbling along for basic we're going to scrap sonar and just filter into other divisions to be maintenance bitches for the next deployment

I mean calling you a maintenance bitch isnt right but farming out the labor the right answer. My shits broke, I'll just go home isnt how most ships want to run. Your chain of command has a responsibility to utilize you and to make sure you have opportunities to develop and excel, and since sonar techs are an electrical rate, maintenance makes sense.

If you're 100% sure you cant make the repairs without the part, you've done sufficient diagnostics to know nothing else can be figured out until you get the part, your divisional chain of command is watching part status like a hawk (not sure where you fall in that chain of command), you know your maintenance and training programs are top notch, divisional collaterals are squared away, you're qualified and making rapid progress in additional qualifications, your CSOSSes are verified accurate, you can locate logistics/parts data/techmans for all gear that you own then maybe you're really out of work to do. Oyherwise, working on these things while doing crossdivisonal maintenance is a good way to maintain and improve your divisions readiness while you wait for parts.

Tell you what though. If I had technicians with no gear, I'd be trying to find stuff for them to do. If they were bebopping up and down the pier, training on other people's gear, building technical knowledge, and getting qualifications, I probably wouldn't throw more work at those technicians than I needed to to get my divisions heads above water. Self starting is the safest way to avoid being a place to sink hours.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I think if it was old youstafish with the same problem they would be sending the division to the trainers daily and cleaning for an hour after getting back to the boat after the trainer guys kicked us out.

edit : due to the fact we would not be able to go to sea that is. no idea if they would let a surface ship deploy without sonar. sounds kinda dumb but....

ded fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 28, 2020

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

piL posted:

I mean calling you a maintenance bitch isnt right but farming out the labor the right answer. My shits broke, I'll just go home isnt how most ships want to run. Your chain of command has a responsibility to utilize you and to make sure you have opportunities to develop and excel, and since sonar techs are an electrical rate, maintenance makes sense.

If you're 100% sure you cant make the repairs without the part, you've done sufficient diagnostics to know nothing else can be figured out until you get the part, your divisional chain of command is watching part status like a hawk (not sure where you fall in that chain of command), you know your maintenance and training programs are top notch, divisional collaterals are squared away, you're qualified and making rapid progress in additional qualifications, your CSOSSes are verified accurate, you can locate logistics/parts data/techmans for all gear that you own then maybe you're really out of work to do. Oyherwise, working on these things while doing crossdivisonal maintenance is a good way to maintain and improve your divisions readiness while you wait for parts.

Tell you what though. If I had technicians with no gear, I'd be trying to find stuff for them to do. If they were bebopping up and down the pier, training on other people's gear, building technical knowledge, and getting qualifications, I probably wouldn't throw more work at those technicians than I needed to to get my divisions heads above water. Self starting is the safest way to avoid being a place to sink hours.

yeah i know it makes sense, and im not exactly against doing launcher maintenance for the VLS guys or learning AEGIS stuff or w/e they end up having us do, it just seems real weird that we cant get replacement parts for a critical system

just venting i guess

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

yeah i know it makes sense, and im not exactly against doing launcher maintenance for the VLS guys or learning AEGIS stuff or w/e they end up having us do, it just seems real weird that we cant get replacement parts for a critical system

just venting i guess

Dont know if I'd call sonar a critical system for a warfare area that's barely above strike.

YMMV based on your ship and its mission though.

Regarding parts, if you're deploying soon I'd imagine they'd rip them out of another ship on the waterfront, but again, not sure what ships etc.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

just venting i guess

lol your logistics and chain of command loving suck

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1223343658528845827

Good to see the USN isn't the only Navy relieving senior officers. Also loving laughing at the Calgary crew having cowboy hats to wear, I assume due to the stampede

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol your logistics and chain of command loving suck

FC Supply chain stuff is a labyrinth from which there is no escape unless you are the dude that responds to CASREP 3 and above, in which case you are happy and rich.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1223343658528845827

Good to see the USN isn't the only Navy relieving senior officers. Also loving laughing at the Calgary crew having cowboy hats to wear, I assume due to the stampede

Can you smoke on American ships?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Can you smoke on American ships?

Yeah, we still have a smoke deck and the smoking lamp is still lighted.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I think they got rid of it on subs underway, officially.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah my buddy had to quit due to it.

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I think they got rid of it on subs underway, officially.

They lit the smoking lamp on last ship a couple times, typically while ventilating after a long time submerged. Obviously it depends on the CO but that was like the one nice thing he'd do for the crew. Lot of guys vaped underway until that got banned in like 2016.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

scripterror posted:

They lit the smoking lamp on last ship a couple times, typically while ventilating after a long time submerged. Obviously it depends on the CO but that was like the one nice thing he'd do for the crew. Lot of guys vaped underway until that got banned in like 2016.

Vaping underway needs to be a subplot in a (non-existent) Hunt for Red October sequel. Like someone the sub gets tracked because one guy aboard won't stop vaping and it does some crazy poo poo to the detection profile or whatever nonsense.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My last job the company only allowed smoking in state rooms and one or two other out of the way areas. The first I relieved smoked and it smelled like I was sleeping in an ash tray for a month. The permanent guy said the last time he came back he found cigarette butts under the mattress. I'm all for letting smokers suffer now.

My relief 3rd broke his vape glass and left his spares in Honolulu and was doing drops to get to the west coast so he could get some spares. This wouldn't have been a problem but he charged that poo poo at my computer and vaped at it so I was getting nauseous from watermelon after a few days. I wanted to keep him happy since he was a good worker and decent engineer even if he couldn't keep his personal life together.

For anyone that doesnt know, vaping isnt great but once people have been smoking cigarettes in an enclosed space for any length of time, the bulkheads will be yellow and will need to be totally scrubbed. Its almost impossible to get the smell out and a stateroom clean, absolutely loving gross. I put loving yogurt in my fridge and it tasted like ash within a few hours.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 2, 2020

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

When I was a kid, people smoked on airplanes. The first unit I checked into, the S-1 chief smoked at his desk (Marine Corps, 1987). I don't know if it was actually allowed at the time, but he did.

I smoked myself at the time, and every car I had and every place I lived in got funkified beyond belief.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My intern smokes and every time he comes back from the smoke shack the office reeks.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/riversidewings/status/1223783070756745216?s=19

Our naval heritage

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

FrozenVent posted:

My intern smokes and every time he comes back from the smoke shack the office reeks.

During the SERE classroom portion when we had eighty of us crammed in a classroom, a couple of the Marines liked to go out and smoke during the breaks and they'd come back with a rancid cigarette smoke smell clinging to them. I felt bad because I told one of them (a PFC who'd sit next to me) that he might want to get one of those portable bottles of febreze because it was noticable. Instead he just stood at the back of the classroom the rest of the time.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I do so miss having to tell grown rear end men and women how to clean up their ashes and butts so my guys would quit getting their asses chewed by XO.... oh wait, no I don’t.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I’m a civilian and I’ve had to tell grown rear end men to pick up their butts because the snow was starting to melt and it was a bad look for the environmental inspectors.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Had a dude in my work center on my last ship that smoked, stunk up the strike corner in CIC :siren: something awful :siren: .

We I called him spit bath, because you would have sworn they just made a circle around him on the smock deck and just doused him.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
This is why I prefer a 15 minute break mid morning to nip a dram of brandy. Less bothersome that way.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I liked to troll one of my department heads on deployment, tell him stuff like “gotta watch out sir, you might accidentally improve morale”. Can’t remember what midwest state he was so proud to be from but he was one of those guys with a major SWOner for being a proper naval officer and “why can’t we bring back flogging” and poo poo. Can’t remember if he made major command or just a DDG.

E: oh yeah the whole point of that recollection was after various arguments with the about whether or not to permanently ban smoking and some other stuff like some of the junk in the ship’s store

Kalessin ofSelidor fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 2, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

what were his views on rum and sodomy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Curious about his views on disappearing over the side on a moonless night.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Being topside on cloudy new moon night was probably the most mortally terrified I've ever been.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Being topside on cloudy new moon night was probably the most mortally terrified I've ever been.

If only you’d had your sidearm with you.

I’d like to think that as a mate, nobody would have thrown me overboard. Except that one AB. He knows what he did.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

LingcodKilla posted:

Curious about his views on disappearing over the side on a moonless night.

Would have required him to be anywhere other than his stateroom, the wardroom, or CIC.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
on ye olde youstafish, smoking was only allowed in shaft alley and the word was smoking would be banned fully by 2000.

my second skipper would smoke cigars. any drat place he pleased.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Being seated next to the periscope mast on a perfect night as we made the surface transit into Singapore is one of my few great memories of the navy. As is the swim call in the middle of the pacific by the equator, nothing in sight, nothing on radar, and 12,000 feet of water below you.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

M_Gargantua posted:

Being seated next to the periscope mast on a perfect night as we made the surface transit into Singapore is one of my few great memories of the navy. As is the swim call in the middle of the pacific by the equator, nothing in sight, nothing on radar, and 12,000 feet of water below you.

We did a swim call around 50 miles off the coast of Thailand and it was a very humbling experience. Being surrounded by crystal clear water on all sides and not seeing land anywhere you looked was certainly something I'd never done before.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Literally had boat duty every swim call, lol

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

M_Gargantua posted:

Thanks to swim call I only have 2 more seas left to hit all 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MilitaryTimesOP/status/1224507272383959040

Try to return your old coveralls for money