Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Found a wand that casts unlimited rocks... (seed 580529643)

With very little additional effort, it will reliably oneshot anything that isn't outright immune to collisions.

It's kinda ludicrous how big the variance is between being insanely overpowered vs finding nothing but garbage wands/spells an entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Only played a few hours of this so far but my main takeaway after ~20 or so runs is that if you pick up a wand with about 10 slots and they're all different spells, actually firing it will almost certainly kill you.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
help all I do now is use cheatgui to apply all sorts of different modifiers to Concentrated Light to make a variety of different crazy laser beam wands, each more ridiculous than the last.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Only played a few hours of this so far but my main takeaway after ~20 or so runs is that if you pick up a wand with about 10 slots and they're all different spells, actually firing it will almost certainly kill you.

Sometimes it doesn't kill you the first time you use it

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Just crafted this wand:

Turns out it's capable of destroying pretty much everything on the jungle level. :catstare:
https://i.imgur.com/zjMxQM1.mp4

Now to see whether it's possible to not also kill myself with it

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Really like the new enemy and wand radar perks. Makes it difficult to choose between wand radar and shield though. A found wand can be far more valuable than a shield depending on your current wand

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Welp I've reached New Game+++ levels of just-loving-around

I found a funny problem when trying to make the fastest possible digging wand: if your Teleport spell projectile flies too far away it hits the simulation boundary and ceases to exist instead of expiring and teleporting you. Even this slower version still glitches out sometimes and terrain that had been turned to sand suddenly decides it's a solid wall again, after you've already teleported there. Probably due to the delay of generating new terrain, when you're traversing mapcells far faster than the devs intended.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 24, 2020

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
How do you get to new game+ after beating the boss?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Does anyone have trouble launching Noita after it updated?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If you mean starting the game over but with all your wands/perks/etc, so far as I know that doesn't actually exist. What you can do is climb the Tower (head left in the last zone before the boss; you can climb out of the boss arena if you have a lot of tunneling, or out of the final room if you have a lot of tunneling, freeze field, and a lot of patience). That gets you back to the surface. If you have a lot of really fast tunneling, you can then try to go through the ultradense radioactive walls on either side of the game world to get to a parallel world, which has everything the main world has (new levels/perks/orbs/etc.), but a bit tweaked.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you have 5 or more orbs and the Matter Wheel, pressing interact on the platform above the mountain will get you NG+

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 24, 2020

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nenonen posted:

Does anyone have trouble launching Noita after it updated?

I guess I was not the only one because GOG just updated it again and it looks like the previous version was rolled back.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you mean starting the game over but with all your wands/perks/etc, so far as I know that doesn't actually exist. What you can do is climb the Tower (head left in the last zone before the boss; you can climb out of the boss arena if you have a lot of tunneling, or out of the final room if you have a lot of tunneling, freeze field, and a lot of patience). That gets you back to the surface. If you have a lot of really fast tunneling, you can then try to go through the ultradense radioactive walls on either side of the game world to get to a parallel world, which has everything the main world has (new levels/perks/orbs/etc.), but a bit tweaked.

Ah ok

On that note I had another question about the orbs, is there something that happens when you pick up an orb? Every time I've ever picked one up I hear some ominous crashing sounds in the distance like something is collapsing, but I haven't actually seen anything myself. I know they make the last boss stronger, but is something else happening as well?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This is either the best idea or the worst idea. Not sure which.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Both. It's both. Spin to win, baby!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well that ended predictably

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Homing can be a surprisingly bad modifier/perk

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

made pretty short work of those masks

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Spark bolt with trigger into double homing giant sawblades could be pretty good. Always experiment with giant sawblades when you get the chance IMO.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That both kinda did and kinda didn't. I really didn't expect you to die at that point, I just expected that you would.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

1: Get the item from the laboratory, dunno whether you need to kill the boss but don't go through the portal after it dies... Either way if you go to the goatse room (under the lava lake, you might want the $300k for rerolling perks) don't choose the "complete the work" option or you lose the essential item.
2: Make sure you have 5+ orbs. Each orb you're carrying increases the boss' HP when it spawns but you can pick up orbs after killing the boss. You can get more orbs by visiting east/west "parallel worlds" as toomuchabstraction mentioned. (The gif I posted shows me tunneling to the east world in 10 seconds because I got an insanely good wand out of the first chest at the start of the run.)
3: Go to the platform above the mountain/mines and choose "complete the work" and the game will lag out for several seconds while rebuilding the map until a "(now entering...) New Game +" message

4: now the map is reset, all the holy mountain shop items are the same but the playable map is huge and with different biome layouts, resulting in a lot more exploration to do and wands to pick up.

5: you can repeat 1~3 for NG++ and NG+++ etc but the world seed remains the same so shops and pedestal wands are the same

...if you want to keep the same character in a new seed either use the notaseedchanger (before step 3, though now that I think about it that might have been an unintended interaction when NSC changed the seed after worldgen) or save/exit and (assuming you're on windows) navigate to userdirectory\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save00 and copy your player.whatever file to another location, restart noita, start a new game, save/exit, overwrite the new player.whatever with the backup, then next time you load the savefile you'll be in the new world with your old character (in the exact same position you were before, which can trap you in solid rock or on lower levels instakill you with an unlucky acid/lava pool, so if you're gonna take this route go above ground beforehand)

edit for completeness: if you want to play nightmare mode do the opposite of step 1: get item, kill boss, enter portal, complete goatse. This will kill you but if you have Saving Grace and ~4(?) stacks of Extra Life perks you'll keep reviving until the instadeath effect ends. Either way after triggering this event and before exiting the current game you'll be able to start a new game in nightmare mode.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 25, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh huh, I didn't know about that. Does the sky altar still turn the world to gold without killing you if you complete the work there without having 5+ orbs?

Sorry for the bad advice earlier. :shrug:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh huh, I didn't know about that. Does the sky altar still turn the world to gold without killing you if you complete the work there without having 5+ orbs?

Yep, though there isn't much to do with the gold it makes having the Essence of Water (used for blowing up the moon and unlocking the Destruction spell... which sucks anyway) safer because all materials turn into loose gold the instant they're created.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've done it before, and it is kinda pointless, though it's neat to explore.

This was a weird run. The game gave me plenty of wands with good stats, but zero projectiles to use with them. I was using a "spark bolt with trigger into quad spark bolt" wand because literally the only projectiles I had were spark bolts. Then the game handed me a bunch of dropper bolts and the Edit Wands Everywhere perk, which greatly simplified things...and then I managed to assemble this wand by the end of the ice caves:

Which combined with the Homing perk to be predictably horrifying, especially since I didn't have explosion immunity. After that, the RNG let up considerably. I died by shooting the Dragon in the face with like four giant firebolts and three giant magic missiles. From point blank range. Did I mention I didn't have explosion immunity?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Edit Wands Anywhere mod that someone suggested here is great. I went from "The Mines are tedious to get through and then I sometimes can't get a good perk" to "I don't mind exploring the Mines"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

got real excited when I found a triple cast wand that always casts increase mana but it looks like that only casts once per shot

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Continued the game with the ridiculous carpet bombing wand. Lived through the jungle fine, found a wand with ground to sand and some other cool stuff. Then, in the next temple... it turns out the gods were already angered since the save was from before the recent patch and reloading it broke the level geometry or something. Killed Steve, used ground to sand to dig back up. Not bad.

In the temple above the jungle, due to patch schenanigans, the temple was collapsed... but under the rubble was a brand new set of perks. :catstare: Removed rubble, picked up a new perk. What is this. Walked into the shop, a bunch of spells had respawned on top of the previous ones, and there was a pristine full heal and spell recharge. Hahaha, yeah this is pretty broken now.

Gonna backtrack further up I guess... the ground to sand spell has 8 charges, so if every temple has a new full spell recharge, then lol

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The game really transforms into something else once you find some decent spells and wands. My current wand with the downwards bolt bundle for example is hilariously unsafe but not too bad:

https://i.imgur.com/BoEZlhD.mp4

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have become the worm

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

I found something unexpected in Jungle: naturally occurring pools of Alchemic Precursor.

Seed is 1947810025 from which the browser says formula for AP is Swamp+Water+Mud which is kinda hilarious because these pools are everywhere, and enemies keep killing eachother and turning the whole biome into gold.

e: also a wand with AlwaysCasts:PersonalTentacler which produces endless amounts of a different kind of comedy.

e2: also Blood+Oil+Poison = infinite healgoo. This run just went from bonkers to ludicrous.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 26, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Daily seed for January 25 is pretty nice for however many hours are left. Perk lottery in the first temple, extra perk in the second. Chainsaws in the fungal caves. Extra guest in the coal pits.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Did y'all know that the lich can get drunk? And slimed?

https://i.imgur.com/o1BIeqO.mp4

It's a pretty slow way to kill him but he sure can't do anything while the explodey clouds are on him. Later I found a damage field modifier, not that I really need it at this point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I really want to like the lightning mages, but the combination of starting with no bottles, the fact that bottles (which are made of glass) shatter when lightning touches them, and the fact that seemingly 99% of the bottles generated in the mines are covered in some kind of liquid makes dealing with the fire and toxic sludge in the mines infuriating. Get tagged by the tiniest drop of sludge? There goes 30% of your health while you run around looking for a puddle to dunk yourself in. Watch out for oil, because you'll almost certainly light it accidentally and then if you touch it you're on fire.

It's such a pain in the rear end, and they could be such a fun class if only they started with a bottle. It can be empty! But give me something to put liquids in please :(

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Turns out that Tentacle(s) have some interesting/amusing properties when you use them with a trigger projectile, since the tentacle projectiles still originate from the player... Luminous Drill casts it as normal (with extended range and much shorter cast/recharge time, for a lot more mana) while projectiles like Spark Bolt don't create tentacles when they hit terrain, but on hitting an enemy the tentacles spawn directly on top of the target and instantly hit for full damage. Also this enables use of Homing Shot which normally doesn't work with Tentacle.

Downside of making it that much easier to use is that it also makes it that much easier to forget why using Tentacle as your primary attack is a hilariously bad idea.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Reminds me of a wand I made which spawned Explosion of Brimstone on the target. Turns out that that particular explosion deals piddly damage, but it 100% will launch enemies flying...typically right into your face. I died when I bounced a freezing skull enemy into myself for big damage plus the freeze combo.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah explosion of brimstone sounds badass but doesn't do enough damage to take you very far.

Thunder explosion rules though. huge damage, temporary paralysis and a cool sound.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, Thunder Explosion is great. I had a run once where I was a lightning mage and the first temple had the explosion immunity perk. I just slapped Thunder Explosion directly on a wand and wandered around exploding at enemies. It was shockingly effective.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I think most people know that those metal trap boxes that spawn in the mines protecting wands can be activated by a lightning spell even if they've been removed from the trap.

Did you know they can also be activated by destroying them the right way? Some things, like a bomb, won't do it. A shot from an energy orb, say hypothetically gotten from a lucky chest and being used to mine out all the gold in the mines, will do it.

I didn't know this.

I almost escaped the acid wave.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
It's fun to learn, isn't it?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That's a new thing. They used to be harder to destroy and only responded to shocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Log082 posted:

I think most people know that those metal trap boxes that spawn in the mines protecting wands can be activated by a lightning spell even if they've been removed from the trap.

Did you know they can also be activated by destroying them the right way? Some things, like a bomb, won't do it. A shot from an energy orb, say hypothetically gotten from a lucky chest and being used to mine out all the gold in the mines, will do it.

I didn't know this.

I almost escaped the acid wave.

I'm pretty sure this was introduced in a recent patch. Lightning boxes that you can set off are sitting around in the ice caves now too