Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Extended mixes are usually great for mashups.
Or if you DJ vinyl it usually means you have a longer beat to beatmatch to, which helps.

And the other way around? What are the advantages of the regular versions over the extended ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Super86 posted:

And the other way around? What are the advantages of the regular versions over the extended ones?

They force you to learn to mix in/out quicker :v:

When I was learning to DJ everything I was listening to was 6+ minutes or so anyway, it was easy to learn what I was doing and to work on phrasing so you started bringing tracks in at the right time so it all sounds as seamless as possible. With shorter tracks you quite literally have less time to do that so have to work a lot quicker and incorporate all sorts of DJ trickery to get in and out of tracks at speed. Extended versions will sometimes have like 3 chorus sections, each differing slightly so you can bring the track in at say the 2nd one if that's your favourite one to mix things up a bit. With modern DJ kit you can slice up an extended version using hotcues anyway, and you can extend a lot of shorter tracks with looping/hotcues but you can't put bits into a shorter version that the shorter version doesn't have in the first place... I'd always go extended purely because it gives me time and may have an extra bit cut out of the radio version.

Take a listen to both versions, there's no wrong answer as it depends on your mixing style. Personally I get bored really quickly of DJ sets that are literally 30 seconds of each track, likewise, sets that are 6+ minutes per track are also pretty tedious.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 3, 2020

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

When I was learning to DJ everything I was listening to was 6+ minutes or so anyway, it was easy to learn what I was doing and to work on phrasing so you started bringing tracks in at the right time so it all sounds as seamless as possible. With shorter tracks you quite literally have less time to do that so have to work a lot quicker and incorporate all sorts of DJ trickery to get in and out of tracks at speed. Extended versions will sometimes have like 3 chorus sections, each differing slightly so you can bring the track in at say the 2nd one if that's your favourite one to mix things up a bit. With modern DJ kit you can slice up an extended version using hotcues anyway, and you can extend a lot of shorter tracks with looping/hotcues but you can't put bits into a shorter version that the shorter version doesn't have in the first place... I'd always go extended purely because it gives me time and may have an extra bit cut out of the radio version.

Take a listen to both versions, there's no wrong answer as it depends on your mixing style. Personally I get bored really quickly of DJ sets that are literally 30 seconds of each track, likewise, sets that are 6+ minutes per track are also pretty tedious.

Thanks for your explanation! This is more or less what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I was not leaving something out due to noobiness.

Super86 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 3, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Aside from just getting better at bringing tracks in faster, you also lose the ability to do long builds if you're already really adept at cuing perfectly. This is especially noticeable in mixing Deep House and reworked classic Disco tunes.
I mean it's fine if I'm working with a digital file, I can just double tracks on 2 decks and loop what I need on each and slowly bring in whatever noise/effects/samples I need to, but when I'm spinning vinyl it's really just not an option.
Mostly because I only use 2 tuntables at a time + my SC5000's because gently caress setting up and breaking down my home setup to swap Media Players for 4 SL-1200's.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So my friend's Mom wants to play DJ.
Hes asking me what DJ controller she should get to "wika wika" and beep the boops. I'm assuming he means 2 channels+FX with samples, but I don't even know where to begin. It would be a lot easier for me to make a recommendation if she already had an inkling of what software to go with but even then I've always been a Serato guy so I can't really recommend anything that's not a Serato controller. I mean, Rekordbox is good I suppose. I hated Traktor (if anyone wants a DVS license and some control vinyls hmu). But I've been laptop-less for so long that I couldn't even begin to suggest something. The best I've got is "The new Denon Prime Go looks cool and it's only a thousand dollars."

Any recommendations for a <$200 (including software) setup for Grandma?
I was thinking Traktor S2 (is that even still a thing?)

I had a Numark SN6ii that I STILL regret selling especially since prices haven't dropped in like 2 years. But I wouldn't have ever played it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 4, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The DDJ-400 is $250 and comes with rekordbox. The similarly priced DDJ-SB3 has built-in scratch patterns but I wouldn’t consider Serato too mom-friendly. Maybe algoriddim djay if she has a Mac?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Genius. Thanks.
I think you're right. Rekordbox is probably the way to go.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Genius. Thanks.
I think you're right. Rekordbox is probably the way to go.

There's a cheaper Pioneer but it doesn't have an audio interface, or I guess this thing if they balk at the price of the 400.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I mean realistically what is she expecting to do with it really? If she's just wanting to fart around then pretty much anything cheap/2nd hand will do surely? There must be a lot of Pioneer Wegos on the market at this point for not many pennies. Fire an ipad into it and you're away.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
UGH. It never ends. Any ideas why Traktor might suddenly be displaying abou 720 tracks as 'missing'? Some of these are old tunes, some of them are songs I added just a couple of weeks ago. None have moved from their original folder hierarchy, and First Aid shows the HDD as OK.

I swear, this is my curse. For all the work I do to keep my Traktor and Rekordbox libraries in line, every few months something fucky like this happens.

EDIT: Oh great, now there are more tracks missing. 747, up from the 727 before I ran First Aid on the drive.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 6, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I this is a relevant time to mention that I've got a Traktor Pro 3 license and 2 unused control vinyls I'm willing to part with.
If anyone is interested PM me. I haven't made a SA Mart thread because I'm a lazy piece of poo poo.

I've used the software exactly once... sort of. I installed it, launched it, said "what the gently caress is this poo poo," imported my library, and then said gently caress it and bought a whole Denon setup instead.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I bought a DJM900NXS2 (curse you Long & McQuade and your loving sales) and I'm looking to unload my old DJM900. Only problem is the crossfader doesn't work - I'm 99% sure it was just a spilled drink that hosed it up. Is this something I can fix myself with some contact cleaner or should I take it to a technician? Is it even worthwhile trying to fix before selling it? I'm assuming I could get about $1000 for it if the fader worked, what would it be worth if I didn't fix it up?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mister Speaker posted:

I bought a DJM900NXS2 (curse you Long & McQuade and your loving sales) and I'm looking to unload my old DJM900. Only problem is the crossfader doesn't work - I'm 99% sure it was just a spilled drink that hosed it up. Is this something I can fix myself with some contact cleaner or should I take it to a technician? Is it even worthwhile trying to fix before selling it? I'm assuming I could get about $1000 for it if the fader worked, what would it be worth if I didn't fix it up?

Replacement crossfaders are like $12 (more if you don't like to solder)so I'd say it's worth a shot.

https://www.ebay.com/i/252214850333

https://www.ebay.com/i/332407356695

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Thanks for that. I'm gonna take the mixer to a buddy to see if it is just a contact-cleaning issue but if not I'll replace it before selling. Might even be able to get more than a grand for it because other than the crossfader the thing is MINT, at least compared to just about every other Pioneer piece I've seen in this city. I don't know what it is, man, but every mixer and CDJ I've come across looks like it's been in a street fight.

I bought another Tech 12 today. Was going to get the PLX1000 from L&M but they sold it before I could get that sweet sweet sale. A friend reached out about his roommate's SL1200mk2 when he saw I was looking, which is good actually because they're solid dudes and I know it's well taken-care-of and it's also the exact same model as the one I kept around - good for aesthetic purposes and I'm a sucker for that poo poo; if I had gotten the PLX I'd be looking sideways at my setup like "IT'S NOT SYMMETRICAL ANYMORE". Anyway I did some carpentry and removed some gear I never use and this is the current state of the CIC Tactical station:

It's still a bit janky. Desk real estate is scarce in this room these days and the laptop on the left is closer to the wall than I'd like. I also need to dig through the rat's nest of CAT5 cables to find where that laptop's connection to the CDJ Link system went. But aside from that, everything is connected to the DJM/CDJ setup via a discrete Ethernet switch, including my production desktop across the room. I have to test this out but the two laptops are also both connected to the DJM via USB and the Novation Dicers are connected to both of them (since each DIcer has a micro-USB port on it as well as the 1/8" jack to daisy-chain a pair), again I have to test it but that should mean that if either laptop is running Traktor they should both work with it.

What I REALLY want to figure out, if it's even possible, is to have a USB hub that's 'shared' across two computers, so I can get the CDJs working as controllers for both laptops as well as the Dicers... I mean, it's not like I ever use Traktor anymore, but I might go back to it for hotcues etc. if I can find such a device.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 21, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mister Speaker posted:

What I REALLY want to figure out, if it's even possible, is to have a USB hub that's 'shared' across two computers, so I can get the CDJs working as controllers for both laptops as well as the Dicers... I mean, it's not like I ever use Traktor anymore, but I might go back to it for hotcues etc. if I can find such a device.

https://www.amazon.com/Selector-Switcher-One-Button-Swapping-Keyboard/dp/B07M66SD79

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah I saw those in my searches, closest thing I think that exists. I need at least one more port but yeah that might be the ticket. Thanks!

Other option is to get a hub for each lappy and only connect two CDJs to each. That way I have to use both computers and effectively can't use sync. Exciting!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah I saw those in my searches, closest thing I think that exists. I need at least one more port but yeah that might be the ticket. Thanks!

Other option is to get a hub for each lappy and only connect two CDJs to each. That way I have to use both computers and effectively can't use sync. Exciting!

Get that and plug a hub into it. Will it work? Who knows!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Xdjs are getting Traktor support, I'm wondering if they can run traktor in HID and also run a usb stick which would be super nice to have two people playing with different setups on the same decks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
They should; CDJs can do that and I don't see why Pioneer wouldn't continue supporting HID.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I caved and bought another Tech 12. It's in great condition and I treated myself to some vinyl to celebrate.

Unfortunately I discovered a problem with one of my M44-7 cartridges. Troubleshot it by switching everything around, it's definitely the stylus or cart. The sound is quiet and lopsided, only coming through somewhat strongly on the right channel. Is this likely a dead needle, a contact or pair of contacts that needs cleaning, or (worst-case Ontario) the cartridge itself? Natch they don't make the M44-7s anymore so if it's a cart I'm wondering what to switch to, but if it's the needle alone Play De Record still has a stockpile of them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mister Speaker posted:

So I caved and bought another Tech 12. It's in great condition and I treated myself to some vinyl to celebrate.

Unfortunately I discovered a problem with one of my M44-7 cartridges. Troubleshot it by switching everything around, it's definitely the stylus or cart. The sound is quiet and lopsided, only coming through somewhat strongly on the right channel. Is this likely a dead needle, a contact or pair of contacts that needs cleaning, or (worst-case Ontario) the cartridge itself? Natch they don't make the M44-7s anymore so if it's a cart I'm wondering what to switch to, but if it's the needle alone Play De Record still has a stockpile of them.

If you have more than one then just swap the needles between them and you'll know for sure if it's the cart or the needle.

M44-7's do rule though. I'm dreading the day I have to swap back to Concordes or whatever is still available.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
LOL you're right, I can't believe that's the one thing I didn't troubleshoot. I think it's the cart. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mister Speaker posted:

LOL you're right, I can't believe that's the one thing I didn't troubleshoot. I think it's the cart. :(

Pull it and check the pins.
I had one I RMA'd because one of the contacts didn't... well... contact anything because it was too short. Could just be dirty or corroded. They clean easily with a pencil eraser.
Also swap the offending cart to the other turntable just to make sure you're not dealing with other issues.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can someone recommend a small powered speaker to use as a booth monitor? I love my DJ setup but the one inconvenience is that I'm off to the side of the room away from my KRKs. I turn them up loud when recording mixes anyway but I'm looking for something small to fill in the space.

In other news, I'm a bit late but I'm going to be jumping on this quarantine livestreaming thing. A lot of my friends are doing it, and some of them are quite good DJs but only two or three guys in the local scene are doing proper multi-camera feeds in decent definition - and they're the guys who were already doing that before COVID19. When I get into a hobby I don't gently caress around, so I ordered a third camera and a BlackMagic ATEM Mini switcher. The switch will only do 1080p, and I have to manually switch angles (I think, it may actually have an automatic timed feature), which is fine, but the real neat thing is that it outputs in USB so my computer will see it as a webcam. I got a scissor boom for my SM7B mic as well in case some rudeboy MC wants to talk over my poo poo. Stay tuned!!!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone livestream via FB? I'm bored & unemployed due to COVID, so I figured I do something fun. I don't really care too much about vid quality; I've got the internal cam on my old Macbook or the camera on my Samsung S8.

Just trying to figure out a solution for audio. As I've read it, I either need an external interface to go between my controller & laptop (Macbook doesn't have a line-in) or some special (TRRS?) cable to go from the controller to my phone so the phone will accept a line-level signal. Either option seems doable, I'm just wondering what the better solution is for durability & the least amount of having to go thru a bunch of fuckery.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can just go from your controller into something like this guy - https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Aud...ps%2C201&sr=8-5

Or if your controller has RCA outs, get an RCA cable and go into this guy - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XU4NT6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

keevo posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can just go from your controller into something like this guy - https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Aud...ps%2C201&sr=8-5

Or if your controller has RCA outs, get an RCA cable and go into this guy - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XU4NT6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah I should probably at this point just pony up for one of those USB audio interfaces.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I got into vinyl DJing in January and have started quarantine live streaming on Twitch, been lots of fun to have friends from all over hop on and hang out while I spin. I’m no master or genius but it’s a good time - https://www.twitch.com/pizzadaddy42069
The first few sets are with a cheap camera, the later sets look much better.
Can’t do much about the copyright silence over certain tracks after the video is posted :/ but when I go live it’s a blast! Looking forward to seeing other sets from everyone.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ogopogo posted:

I got into vinyl DJing in January and have started quarantine live streaming on Twitch, been lots of fun to have friends from all over hop on and hang out while I spin. I’m no master or genius but it’s a good time - https://www.twitch.com/pizzadaddy42069
The first few sets are with a cheap camera, the later sets look much better.
Can’t do much about the copyright silence over certain tracks after the video is posted :/ but when I go live it’s a blast! Looking forward to seeing other sets from everyone.

Nice. Followed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pioneer going full subscription model, quelle surprise

If you have "hardware unlock" controllers like DDJs the core level features are included. The big banner feature is cloud synced libraries but it's a) dropbox only and b) only with the most expensive plan.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Has anyone used Rekord Cloud?

I'm thinking about making the jump from RekordBuddy to this, mostly because I haven't heard back from Next.Audio since upgrading to OSX Mojave broke both the beta and full versions of RekordBuddy. I've got another ~2,000 song backlog that I just went through and want to get things in their right places in Rekordbox before doing any streaming or putting together any new mixes.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Hi, lifelong Shure M44-7 (Ortofons for live here), I've gotten a pair of Grado DJ200s as a gift from a guy who's out of DJing. Has anyone had experience with these? Is it just me or is it a cue nightmare? Spin it back and get a bounce back a few grooves. Regular 1200s with no tonearm mods.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

New needles need to break in, play a few LPs and they’ll feel a lot better. If it’s still a trampoline then mess with the counterweights.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Eh, I was rearranging my set up and just pulled out the ground wire on the 1200 end cause I was yanking on it like a dumbass trying to get an extra half inch. I’m glad these things are pretty well documented and that I can solder; cause we’re gonna do some surgery.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I bought an S2 a while back and used it for a while to DJ social dance sets, but then I had a kid and became largely absent from the social dance scene. In that context I needed almost none of the features on offer -- mainly a cue channel, the ability to jog through tracks to edit out long intros, and the ability to fade out long songs early -- and I haven't really used my gear in months. I've been watching Questlove livestream sets from quarantine (super fun, they're on the Roots' YouTube channel here as well as IG live and Twitch -- he plays themed nights and a variety otherwise and has a wealth of music history knowledge) and it's inspired me to start messing with my stuff again.

One problem I've run into when watching tutorial videos is that I'm an experienced musician with 30+ years of practice and theory under my belt, but all of the videos are either "this is what a beat is" or "advanced tips for mixing tech house while standing on your head." There's no middle ground. My favorite video that I've seen is this one from Rob Swift, which is as much him becoming increasingly frustrated with his student as it is instructional video, but I got more out of it than I get out of most DJ videos. I've watched some more of his videos and one big revelation for me is that I don't really need to give a poo poo if my tempo matching keeps things lined up for more than 15 or 20 seconds since by then I'll probably be out.

I listen to EDM a bit, but I don't play it, and I'm much more interested in open-format stuff. I don't care about playing clubs or anything. My audience is mostly me, I played one event as a favor for a friend of a friend and I don't have any real ambition to do more than maybe play a party for friends assuming we can all ever leave the house again. Maybe I'm off-base, but watching Questlove, everything but selection really feels unimportant. Yeah, I'm practicing to improve at transitioning, but I'm not sure anyone would really care at the kinds of events I'm interested in doing if I just mixed like a radio DJ. I fiddle with effects once in a while but mostly I'm just interested in picking tracks people will want to hear.

Is there any compelling reason for me to upgrade from Traktor Pro 2 to Traktor Pro 3? 2 seems to be working fine for me and I'm not sure if there are potential performance implications vis-a-vis a MacBook Air that's a couple years old by now anyway. DJ software seems to be almost universally janky and I'm hesitant to make an unnecessary change from what seems to be a stable setup, knock on wood. Especially if I have to pay for it, and especially if I'd need to buy a new laptop.

guppy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 30, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rob Swift used to be so skinny he could spin himself on a turntable now he’s all huge.

A lot of his videos are mostly him complaining about how everyone else is doing it wrong. He’s a great DJ and probably an amazing 1:1 teacher but not a tutorial kind of guy. I’ve seen some really good videos from DJ TLM both on his own channel and I think Digital DJ Tips that are more instructional.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This owns lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5kFZ2UZ4uI

edit: stop it DAD you're RUINING MY MIX

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

guppy posted:

Maybe I'm off-base, but watching Questlove, everything but selection really feels unimportant. Yeah, I'm practicing to improve at transitioning, but I'm not sure anyone would really care at the kinds of events I'm interested in doing if I just mixed like a radio DJ. I fiddle with effects once in a while but mostly I'm just interested in picking tracks people will want to hear.

I can mix pretty much anything into anything else but mixing is purely a means to an end in order to have a selection of fantastic tunes. The Esta Boiler Room set is still my favourite set because although Esta isn't a DJ by trade and fluffed a whole load of mixes, the track selection is incredibly good and was everything I wanted to hear at exactly the right time. Add to that a bunch of poo poo I hadn't heard before which blew me away, the imperfections didn't matter at all.

If you're going to be a 'DJ' I expect you to be able to mix a bit but unless you're constantly trainwrecking tracks I care far more about the track selection. You can mix perfectly for an hour or two but if what you're playing is the same boring poo poo then it doesn't matter. The joy I get out of playing music to people is when you see their face light up when it's a track they've not heard for years but have forgotten or better, when you play something they've never heard and they love it so much that they have to ask you what it is. Mixing is just to get from one track to another in a cohesive manner, a lot of people can do that. But not all DJs can pick tracks...

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you're going to be a 'DJ' I expect you to be able to mix a bit but unless you're constantly trainwrecking tracks I care far more about the track selection. You can mix perfectly for an hour or two but if what you're playing is the same boring poo poo then it doesn't matter. The joy I get out of playing music to people is when you see their face light up when it's a track they've not heard for years but have forgotten or better, when you play something they've never heard and they love it so much that they have to ask you what it is. Mixing is just to get from one track to another in a cohesive manner, a lot of people can do that. But not all DJs can pick tracks...

Eh, things are different down here since back to like the mid-90's. Lots of poo poo-tier DJ's who never took the time to learn the craft who use music selection to lull people into ignoring their absolute horrid skills behind the mixer. As for the folks I know who are competent, it kinda' follows that they keep the track list pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There are definitely just outright bad DJs who struggle with selecting decent tracks and also suck rear end at mixing. Luckily they don't seem to hang around for very long.