Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Deep lore is cool. Most people don't care. If you're gonna do the canon setting thing halfassedly, all you'll achieve is annoying the people who do care.

In context of the average D&D game that happens to be set in Forgotten Realms as default, you could tell the players that a dude called Glorp Plorgo is King of Waterdeep and the average player wouldn't even notice that you'd deviated from canon because they have no idea who the king of waterdeep is supposed to be (or that well actually waterdeep is ruled by...), aren't interacting with him anyway, and couldn't give a gently caress. And then they'd forget it in a couple of sessions anyway.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Kaysette posted:

Are any of them nudists?

Well played.

Possibly the lizard. He is a poor as poo poo slinger pressed into service.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nash posted:

Well played.

Possibly the lizard. He is a poor as poo poo slinger pressed into service.
Naught to his name but his sling slash loin cloth

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Truly the start of a legend

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Not to interrupt Arivia being mad at 5e again, but what are some good sources on devils, demons, and the blood war? Any edition is fine.

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes has a chapter on the topic.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Bit late but this newish homebrew psionic supplement is good stuff, better balance and more coherent system than the ua mystic and previous homebrew I've been using.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/299141/The-Korranberg-Chronicle-Psions-Primer--A-Complete-Psionics-System

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I feel like something along the lines of warlock invocations plus monk ki abilities might be the way to go for Psionics, ditching spell slots for more passives, at will powers, and once per rest abilities.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

There's several points about this psionics system I like:
It makes cantrips more meaningful with a progression table of augmentation. The cantrips are the core ability one then develops. This is an elegant improvement on the UA mystic focus + talents approach.
The Psion class uses Intelligence while the Empath class uses Wisdom. These main classes and the psionic subclass options for fighter, rogue and monk have distinctive abilities which don't cross over. So an Int based psionic feels very different to an empathetic Wis based psionic.
The Wis based psionic means monks have a way to become psychic warriors, as per the lore of deities such as Xan Yae or if you want a new kind of gish.
There are stats for some essential psionic monsters like illithid and aboleth, offering new psionic abilities instead of spells.
There are psionic items and a lore framework for psionics for Eberron mainly but also other settings.

If you're looking for homebrew to run a Dark Sun setting or other psionic encounter I'd suggest giving this a look. I've looked into most psionic homebrew on dms guild and this is pretty tidy.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Did anyone manage to snag subclasses part 2 before Wizards took it down?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

In case anyone’s wondering what happened, they printed a “Love” domain better described as “mind control people into loving me.” Good thing that didn’t go to print!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arivia posted:

In case anyone’s wondering what happened, they printed a “Love” domain better described as “mind control people into loving me.” Good thing that didn’t go to print!

Heh. Did you hear that Philter of Love is now a banned item in Adventurer's League?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Arivia posted:

TTRPG twitter is a very horny place, and it's had an awful lot of defensive things to say about the love domain as it was written

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

TTRPG twitter is a very horny place, and it's had an awful lot of defensive things to say about the love domain as it was written

I prefer Cavegirl’s take: what the gently caress is this why did you do it and why did you not update Evening Glory as part of it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That Cleric subclass seems like pretty cool.

Just like strip the notion of "love" out of it.

Call it like Zeal Domain or something

https://twitter.com/skinnyghost/status/1224738118558871553

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Dexo posted:

That Cleric subclass seems like pretty cool.

Just like strip the notion of "love" out of it.

Call it like Zeal Domain or something

https://twitter.com/skinnyghost/status/1224738118558871553

Well that's a hot take by Koebel and it's a bad one.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That sucks, from what I can gather the bard and sorcerer options sounded really cool.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U7kPgzRU43W6WqFyrEmUTra9veEYVd0g/view

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Oh wow, the clockwork sorcerer actually implements a ward-like "healing" ability like we workshopped in this thread a while ago. Wasn't expecting that!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Honestly it isn't that bad, they just need to change the word "infatuation" and it's a regular charm effect. It's not like the creature has to use its reaction to have sex with you. Deities inspiring love is kind of a thing in mythology and I think there can be a place for that sort of effect in D&D. It's a fine line to walk, and I can totally see why you wouldn't trust Wizards to do it, but none of the language in that write up is particularly creepy at all, and they go out of their way to make it clear that this is not the gently caress Domain.

Also I really like the idea of a Fashion Cleric or a ripped bodybuilder cleric who forces enemies to admire him in combat.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Honestly it isn't that bad, they just need to change the word "infatuation" and it's a regular charm effect. It's not like the creature has to use its reaction to have sex with you. Deities inspiring love is kind of a thing in mythology and I think there can be a place for that sort of effect in D&D. It's a fine line to walk, and I can totally see why you wouldn't trust Wizards to do it, but none of the language in that write up is particularly creepy at all, and they go out of their way to make it clear that this is not the gently caress Domain.

Also I really like the idea of a Fashion Cleric or a ripped bodybuilder cleric who forces enemies to admire him in combat.

Hell yes!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That's good because I just got this dapper gent and realized I wasn't sure what to do with him.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Toshimo posted:

Heh. Did you hear that Philter of Love is now a banned item in Adventurer's League?
Specifically because a mod of a big AL Discord used it to roofie Jarlaxle of all NPCs in a public game and then bragged about it on twitter, tagging the AL admins and WotC. :allears:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cthulu Carl posted:

That's good because I just got this dapper gent and realized I wasn't sure what to do with him.

Step 1: Paint it
Step 2: Post pics

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Toshimo posted:

Step 1: Paint it
Step 2: Post pics

i almost bought this today because it's actually a great price for a huge "mini" but I'll never finish painting something that big.

It's a foot long lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The real question is if I paint him before or after this guy.

At least I know I'm gonna rust that guy's beard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yeah it's not bad at all. Just a normal charm that disables your enemies or gives your ally an extra attack.

Also the UA was never actually released someone just guessed the URL.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Since it's a mini painting page, I bought a brush & paint kit but I have never painted minis and I'm wondering - can I use just some walmart matte spraypaint for primer, or do I need to buy some kind of fancy poo poo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Since it's a mini painting page, I bought a brush & paint kit but I have never painted minis and I'm wondering - can I use just some walmart matte spraypaint for primer, or do I need to buy some kind of fancy poo poo

I use Rust-Oleum 2x coverage spray or Krylon and it works fine.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Syrinxx posted:

don't use regular spraypaint for primer! i'm not an expert painter but it won't cling to the substrate as well and can obfuscate details. walmart should sell actual primer though, you dont need fancy GW or vallejo stuff. i've used the Rustoleum gray primer and it's fine.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Yeah, use actual primer. The point of it is to help paint stick, so normal paint just chips off eventually from most materials.

What kind of minis did you get? If they're Bones, do not use spray primers, which can make those models permanently sticky. Haven't had that issue with any of the brush-on primers I've used (favorites are Vallejo and Stynylrez but cheap stuff from a big box store is probably fine).

Welcome to hell!

Edit: Wash your minis before you prime and paint them! Just a light scrub with some warm water, a drop of dish soap, and an old toothbrush.

DressCodeBlue fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 4, 2020

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Cool, thanks all. I will grab rustoleum primer!

The painting kit is from Reaper and includes 3 minis. I also bought some wiz kids ones that say they are primed already, is that to be trusted?

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Oh yeah, the ones in the kits are Bones, so avoid rattle cans. Technically you can even paint them without primer, but when I started priming mine it changed my life.

I haven't painted the preprimed Wiz Kids ones, but from what I've heard, the primer is legit but I'd still wash them. Definitely don't reprime them, since their details are pretty shallow and another layer might completely obscure them.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Syrinxx posted:

I also bought some wiz kids ones that say they are primed already, is that to be trusted?

I've heard those are good to go but if there are any mould lines or stuff to clean up, then those spots will need to be primed again.

also THIN YOUR PAINTS. two thin coats.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Syrinxx posted:

Cool, thanks all. I will grab rustoleum primer!

The painting kit is from Reaper and includes 3 minis. I also bought some wiz kids ones that say they are primed already, is that to be trusted?

The only primer I have ever had work on Bones is vallejo airbrush primer, which you can also just brush on. I've also had adequate results scrubbing them with soap and water and then painting them without primer. You should probably scrub them even if you have primer but I'm lazy as hell so I don't.

The wizkids minis work fine without any additional primer.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

DressCodeBlue posted:

Yeah, use actual primer. The point of it is to help paint stick, so normal paint just chips off eventually from most materials.

What kind of minis did you get? If they're Bones, do not use spray primers, which can make those models permanently sticky. Haven't had that issue with any of the brush-on primers I've used (favorites are Vallejo and Stynylrez but cheap stuff from a big box store is probably fine).

Welcome to hell!

Edit: Wash your minis before you prime and paint them! Just a light scrub with some warm water, a drop of dish soap, and an old toothbrush.

With Bones you can use spray primer, but you have to use high density acrylic sprays. In the painting brands, army painter and GW sprays work fine. Outside of the brands, Montana Gold does the job nicely. It has to have something to do with the solvents used for the different particulates interacting with the material used for Bones. Brush on acrylics and airbrushed on acrylics will do the job too.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I really recommend artist's Gesso for priming miniatures. Its like 10 bucks for a 500ml bucket of the stuff which will last forever, water it down slightly so its less thick and you basically slop it on the model. It shrinks as it dries so you can literally just cover the entire thing in it with zero care and the details just pop out. The black coloured stuff is carbon based so its really tough as well.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

NeurosisHead posted:

With Bones you can use spray primer, but you have to use high density acrylic sprays. In the painting brands, army painter and GW sprays work fine. Outside of the brands, Montana Gold does the job nicely. It has to have something to do with the solvents used for the different particulates interacting with the material used for Bones. Brush on acrylics and airbrushed on acrylics will do the job too.

I can report that I still occasionally get stickiness priming Bones with AP sprays. But only intermittantly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's not worth the risk of using aerosols on bones tbh. Just use airbrush or regular brush, it's fine.

It's not like the fidelity of detail on them is going to care much if the base coat is a little thick.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

“Self/you” and “touch” targets are different, right? So I couldn’t cast, say, thunder step through my familiar and use it as a walking bomb, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Correct. Familiars can only deliver touch spells.