Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

site posted:

hes said hes already writing towards an ending, and unlike ultimates it looks like theyre not gonna cancel it, so im assuming hes gonna tie it all together (or at least what he wants to anyways)

He already wrote the ending.

*FIVE BILLION YEARS LATER*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Immortal does mean immortal
Roll w it

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

goatface posted:

Did he buy the wine or was he gifted the wine? Or did he "acquire" the wine during legion time travel hijinks?

Gifted by various grateful people whenever he saves them from some catastrophe or other.

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

I sometimes wonder why so many people write/say "gifted" instead of "given" nowadays.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Because they wanted to emphasise that the thing being given was a gift? That's not a new word, friend.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I got curious so I went to the OED, my first and only friend.

Pretty good vintage!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
'Gift' is German for 'poison' so if you gently caress that up you can have a lot of intercultural fun!

Though there is the German word 'Mitgift' ('dowry') where the original meaning is preserved. Maybe some Germans really wanted to give their sons-in-law some poison and that's why the meaning changed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Grendels Dad posted:

'Gift' is German for 'poison' so if you gently caress that up you can have a lot of intercultural fun!

Though there is the German word 'Mitgift' ('dowry') where the original meaning is preserved. Maybe some Germans really wanted to give their sons-in-law some poison and that's why the meaning changed.

It could be like how "mortgage" means "death pledge".

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Glagha posted:

Because they wanted to emphasise that the thing being given was a gift? That's not a new word, friend.

It’s not, but words become more or less popular over time. It’s not crazy to think that “to gift” has to a certain extent displaced “to give” over recent years. You could even measure it, if you really cared.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zombie Dachshund posted:

It’s not, but words become more or less popular over time. It’s not crazy to think that “to gift” has to a certain extent displaced “to give” over recent years. You could even measure it, if you really cared.
I know I never really encountered "gifted" until the last decade or so and mostly in online communication, though it's starting to take over. This is probably regional dialect.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Shifts like that can have the weirdest, most opaque reasons. My bet is on the increasing popularity of TV shows over the last few years that have old timey dialog.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I blame Seinfeld and the mass consciousness of the term "re-gifting"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I blame Xavier's School for the Gifted. Lousy muties.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Grendels Dad posted:

Shifts like that can have the weirdest, most opaque reasons. My bet is on the increasing popularity of TV shows over the last few years that have old timey dialog.

My half-assed theory that I just invented is that if you "gift" something to somebody, it's explicitly calling out that you're doing a nice thing for them. To "give" somebody something is more neutral.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Ravages of Time- Chapter 527

Basically Yet-Another-Romance-of-the-Three-Kingdoms manhua retelling. There is basically a very long setup for this scene, but the tl;dr is one army is being pursued and a massive thorny abatis of sticks, spikes, and antlers the size of a mountain blocks their only escape route.

They start desperately attempting to clear the blockade before they're set upon, until they are suddenly rescued from the other side.

The path cleared the army manage to pass through, pondering who the hero was that rescued their Lord, and stayed behind to lay a trap for their pursuers

As the pursuing army approaches, he taunts them to draw them in...

The entire mountain of abatis crushes the opposing army, wiping them out.

:black101:
[spoiler]Do not pursue Li Tong[spoiler]

Just an extremely :allears: moment with a Vassal sacrificing themselves for their Lord.
Whole series is pretty dope, but it is super super loving long.

(Apologies for excess panels, I tried to keep it as succinct as possible so you got an context of the scene + key pages so it wasn't just "what the gently caress are all these spikes")

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

To gift hasn't supplanted to give though? It's just when specifically someone is giving a present, such as when giving wine to someone, people will say gift instead because it's a gift. I'm super fuckin confused right now.

Like I seriously feel like I'm taking crazy pills do you folks really not understand the connotation difference between "to gift" and "to give"? You use one when something is a gift and you use the other for everything else.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Infinitum posted:

The Ravages of Time- Chapter 527

Basically Yet-Another-Romance-of-the-Three-Kingdoms manhua retelling. There is basically a very long setup for this scene, but the tl;dr is one army is being pursued and a massive thorny abatis of sticks, spikes, and antlers the size of a mountain blocks their only escape route.

They start desperately attempting to clear the blockade before they're set upon, until they are suddenly rescued from the other side.

The path cleared the army manage to pass through, pondering who the hero was that rescued their Lord, and stayed behind to lay a trap for their pursuers

As the pursuing army approaches, he taunts them to draw them in...

The entire mountain of abatis crushes the opposing army, wiping them out.

:black101:
[spoiler]Do not pursue Li Tong[spoiler]

Just an extremely :allears: moment with a Vassal sacrificing themselves for their Lord.
Whole series is pretty dope, but it is super super loving long.

(Apologies for excess panels, I tried to keep it as succinct as possible so you got an context of the scene + key pages so it wasn't just "what the gently caress are all these spikes")

This is really beautifully drawn, it reminds of me of Hiroaki Samura when he's putting the effort in, or the guy who does Vagabond. I will check this out, thank you for sharing it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mods?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It's not a slur if Elfface is a mutant. Are you a mutant, Elfface...?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s some gorgeous manga and a good badass scene.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

How Wonderful! posted:

It's not a slur if Elfface is a mutant. Are you a mutant, Elfface...?

Gee, I dunno How Wonderful... Are you a [Insert slur of choice, boy Kitty liked to use 'em!]?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yes, I am a mutant, yes my power is not being able to do a cartwheel, yes I was on the Joe Kelly team for 18 issues, yes for the love of god I died off-panel in an ill-considered Chuck Austen allegory, but I'm back now and thrilled to be here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Glagha posted:

To gift hasn't supplanted to give though? It's just when specifically someone is giving a present, such as when giving wine to someone, people will say gift instead because it's a gift. I'm super fuckin confused right now.

Like I seriously feel like I'm taking crazy pills do you folks really not understand the connotation difference between "to gift" and "to give"? You use one when something is a gift and you use the other for everything else.

Yeah, I’m not getting the whole thing either. Gifting someone something is not a new saying in any sense.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

How Wonderful! posted:

Yes, I am a mutant, yes my power is not being able to do a cartwheel, yes I was on the Joe Kelly team for 18 issues, yes for the love of god I died off-panel in an ill-considered Chuck Austen allegory, but I'm back now and thrilled to be here.

You aren't really an X-Man/New Mutant/etc. until you've died at least once.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Glagha posted:

It was probably regionally divided and I didn't live in a region where it was widespread. Nowadays with the internet and the twitter and the myspace we can all encounter one another's strange, bestial dialects casually. I was going nuts for a couple of years over friends from Ohio who would always say something "needs fixed" instead of "needs fixing."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ManiacClown posted:

You aren't really an X-Man/New Mutant/etc. until you've died at least once.

I don't think Bobby Drake has ever died (Outside of non x books where half/all life is eliminated only to be restored at the end).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sounds like a cute idea for a B or C-plot in Marauders after Bobby gets resurrected at Krakoa for the first time.

"Hey we've been waiting for this for ages"

"Last of the originals to finally take a dive."

"When you saw the light, did you melt?"

"Very funny guys"

Or some similar hack-y stuff.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
gift: "Here is a present! No, go on, it's for you!"
give: "hold this."

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Knew.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Skwirl posted:

I don't think Bobby Drake has ever died (Outside of non x books where half/all life is eliminated only to be restored at the end).

By the time anyone thought to kill him, his powers made him functionally immortal. Just rebuilds himself from nearby water.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
SPY x FAMILY

This manga is an action-comedy set in a fictionalised Cold War period. The main character is a spy from The West who is currently undercover in The East (respectively West German and East Germany, basically), and his group is currently trying to prevent a terrorist cell of university students from bombing some important political talks and sparking an actual hot war in the process.

His partners manage to capture the whole cell, minus the leader, and tie them up, waiting for the protagonist and his handler (the woman who makes the speech in these pages) to come and do the interrogation. But first they ask: Where is your leader? Where are you planning to plant the bomb?

(Read from right to left.)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dope panels

Loving the unnecessary censoring of 'Eat turd' :v:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I've been a bit annoyed with Birthright spinning its wheels for...awhile, but issue #41 moved things forward in a big way starting with this ridiculous six-page battle spread.

(open in a new tab)

Cribbing liberally from BPD: Hell On Earth, but still very impressive.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked Birthright but I’m out on it. I think I’ve still got 42 on order, but this is one I’ll grab out of dollar bins when it’s done.

That said - it’s got some pretty wicked moments throughout.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Absolute Carnage #1 - Spidey and Venom have their lunch interrupted.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

Absolute Carnage #1 - Spidey and Venom have their lunch interrupted.

Why do even people bother trying to be burglars in the MU?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It's probably like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, only with super powers. Like, there's a constant chance that you might fall into a vat of something during a crime and come out lucky.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

Why do even people bother trying to be burglars in Gotham City

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because the "Bat Man" is just a rumor made up by the police to try to scare people.

He doesn't exist. It's just that whenever the police engage in a bit too much brutality they blame it on a so-called vigilante. When they want to scare people they just shine a light in the sky. Those supposed sightings are just various cops in a costume. Hell, I hear Jim Gordon was in the suit for a bit. Those guys who claim they've gotten beaten up by him? Got tricked by a cop or are plants designed to make things easier. Same thing for the Joker. You really think some guy in clown makeup could threaten people over and over instead of just getting shot in the face?

Now come on, help me break into Ace Chemicals. =

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Reaver #5