Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mayor cheat is such a good nickname, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Cerebral Bore posted:

If you take even a medium-hard look at the history if spookery in the US you'd know that there is no such thing as being too dumb to be one. It's always been a bunch of failsons cooking up one harebrained scheme after another.

wasnt pompeo a spook at one point? I think that proves the point if true.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

DreamingofRoses posted:

Didn’t Bernie give what was basically an “I won” speech too?

he said he was 'feeling good' about the results and then his campaign put out partial results which put him moderately ahead - this is within the bounds of what is reasonable. had buttigieg said something like 'it looks like we've done very well' that would be one thing, but outright claiming victory is some dodgy poo poo because it primes everyone to expect something which may not be (and indeed, probably is not according to what evidence we do have available) true.

there's a line between legitimate spin and disinformation - of course the campaign is going to try to claim the results as encouraging, and a results in the mid-to-high twenties in a very competitive field can be reasonably spun as doing well even if they somehow ended up third - but saying that you're first when there's nothing real to support that statement is crossing that line, because at that point you're not pushing an interpretation of the facts, you're pushing your own facts - which means that everyone else suddenly has to decide what to do about it, either call it ouy viciously or make up alternative facts

using the confusion of a major procedural breakdown (which, again, is a big scandal even under the best reasonably imaginable circumstances) to try to push a distortion of the facts is really dodgy behaviour and absolutely needs to be called out in an aggressive way

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

sexpig by night posted:

we need to put Tom Perez in a pit

this is not a threat of violence, this is me just saying he has to live in a pit now

he can get an easy chair and a little picture that says "home sweet pit" to hang on the wall.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

sexpig by night posted:

no seriously guys I just woke up and googling 'Iowa Caucus Results' gets me everyone saying 'PFFFFT hosed if we know', is there literally nothing?

There's nothing at all. Some of the candidates have released their internal polling of some of the precincts, but they're effectively just surveys of where they were strong enough to devote resources.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DreamingofRoses posted:

Didn’t Bernie give what was basically an “I won” speech too?

No he said "I suspect after everything is counted we will have done very very well tonight"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

V. Illych L. posted:

he said he was 'feeling good' about the results and then his campaign put out partial results which put him moderately ahead - this is within the bounds of what is reasonable. had buttigieg said something like 'it looks like we've done very well' that would be one thing, but outright claiming victory is some dodgy poo poo because it primes everyone to expect something which may not be (and indeed, probably is not according to what evidence we do have available) true.

there's a line between legitimate spin and disinformation - of course the campaign is going to try to claim the results as encouraging, and a results in the mid-to-high twenties in a very competitive field can be reasonably spun as doing well even if they somehow ended up third - but saying that you're first when there's nothing real to support that statement is crossing that line, because at that point you're not pushing an interpretation of the facts, you're pushing your own facts - which means that everyone else suddenly has to decide what to do about it, either call it ouy viciously or make up alternative facts

using the confusion of a major procedural breakdown (which, again, is a big scandal even under the best reasonably imaginable circumstances) to try to push a distortion of the facts is really dodgy behaviour and absolutely needs to be called out in an aggressive way

Also bring up legitimate questions like "How do you know you won?"

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Bernie released his own numbers for about 40% of reporting precincts but other than that, no. Nothing.

Pete did too but only his own numbers

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1224663237938962432?s=20

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Concerned Citizen posted:

bernie's results

only 40% of precincts reported

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Lmao if you look at this psycho and think "this is all above board"
https://twitter.com/thegoodlogan/status/1224680500759027713?s=19

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Overcoming a 5 point deficit with that large of a sample size is pretty hard fyi

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Conspiracies actually happen, just FYI. Acting like calling out this kinda shady poo poo and demanding explanations is the same as believing in UFOs or some poo poo like that is just stupid as all hell.

Conspiracies actually happen, yes. Currently, however, this is a conspiracy theory. All that I've argued for is that we should treat it as such in light of a lack of evidence.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also your attitude is literally dangerous and harmful to democracy. If we all treated potential conspiracies by just sitting silently until enough evidence just materialized from the ether then every election would be rigged because nobody would ever face any consequences for it.

My only posts in this thread are about how we should be more measured in our discussion because currently everything being discussed is based on supposition.

Cerebral Bore posted:

In fact, the only way evidence will come out in the first place is if people are pissed off and force the powers that be to release it.

You're literally admitting that there's no evidence.

Cerebral Bore posted:

E: Also it's still blatantly obvious that your real motive here is to shut down a discussion that reflects badly on your political idols, just FYI.

Who are my political idols, then, based on my two posts in this thread? You can gently caress right off because you have absolutely no idea.

mr whistler
Jun 28, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

And if a politician getting called "Cheaty Pete" sends you into hysterics...

Other than it being a lame insult (it doesn't even rhyme, wth), I don't really care?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I can’t imagine why some people don’t want to support Bernie due to his supporters. :rolleyes:

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

feedmyleg posted:

Conspiracies actually happen, yes. Currently, however, this is a conspiracy theory. All that I've argued for is that we should treat it as such in light of a lack of evidence.

My only posts in this thread are about how we should be more measured in our discussion because currently everything being discussed is based on supposition.

Who are my political idols, then, based on my two posts in this thread? You can gently caress right off because you have absolutely no idea.

you are not wrong that we are dealing in conjecture at this moment, but by precedent and also how the DNC and the media has been covering Bernie I think it is right to be wary.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe don't poo poo up a thread that you haven't participated in until today k thanks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ManBoyChef posted:

he can get an easy chair and a little picture that says "home sweet pit" to hang on the wall.

yea it can be a nice pit, he's just gotta be never allowed to touch leadership jobs ever again

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

oxsnard posted:

Overcoming a 5 point deficit with that large of a sample size is pretty hard fyi

Assuming this is an unbiased sample is a pretty brave assumption fyi.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
This isn’t loving CSPAM and it’s not the Bernie thread, stop trying to chase people off.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ManBoyChef posted:

wasnt pompeo a spook at one point? I think that proves the point if true.

Not really, he was a Congressional back bencher before Trump made him head of the CIA for a bit

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Anyone not seeing the humorless similarities between Fox News consumers screeching about the deep state and the posters going on about a deep state in the DNC should now sigh in despondence.

Sigh. Where's the decorum, where's the proper complacency? Why do you assume that a left-wing anti-capitalist presidential candidate with the best chance of winning in the history of left-wing politics in America would get sabotaged, in any way possible regardless of blatantly transparent motive, by the agents of capital and imperialism that undeniably control the world, its economics, and the media? I'm frowning over here in my comfortable middle class American life and you angry folks need to grow up.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DreamingofRoses posted:

This isn’t loving CSPAM and it’s not the Bernie thread, stop trying to chase people off.

Stop making bad posts then?

Kaal posted:

You mean how they're incredibly toxic, have no love for Democrats, barely vote, are only interested in fair process when it suits them, and have a pretty shallow belief in progressive policy?

What a fitting av.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

DreamingofRoses posted:

I can’t imagine why some people don’t want to support Bernie due to his supporters. :rolleyes:

You mean how they're incredibly toxic, have no love for Democrats, barely vote, are only interested in fair process when it suits them, and have a pretty shallow belief in progressive policy? Fakedems gotta fakedem I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My wife took one look at Pete this morning on the news and said 'I hope he doesn't win, he looks like an rear end in a top hat" so in conclusion BERNIE SANDERS.
Also I had the flu like two weeks ago and got a 10K bill today (insurance will graciously cover 7000 of this because, lol sure I just have 2700 lying around). And rather than pay it I'm going to give Bernie a few bucks and go beg them to lower it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DreamingofRoses posted:

stop trying to chase people off.

Have you seen the dem primary thread and USPOL in the past 6 months dude, this is what the thread is for better or for worse

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

You’re just lashing out like a toddler who needs a nap at this point. Get off Twitter and get some loving sleep.

:ironicat:

If you were projecting any harder you would be hailed as the next great advance in cinema technology.

feedmyleg posted:

Did you completely miss the point that no evidence will ever come out if we do things your way? Besides that, the idea that this is all just the gravest incompetence seen in decades is also supposition, and you could use the exact same "well how could this possibly have happened" arguments to argue against that possibility too.

So in other words, one ought to adopt the attitude that is most likely to lead to the truth coming out, and right now that attitude is that Cheaty Pete tried to steal the election. If he didn't then let him prove it.

feedmyleg posted:

This wasn't even directed at you.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

Stop making bad posts then?

What a fitting av.

You first.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tom Perez should lose his job over this, at minimum

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

DreamingofRoses posted:

I'm sorry your concern trolling after months of not participating in this thread is off-putting

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everyone is using 🐀 on Pete posts now.

Since 🐍 was declared deeply misogynist are people going to come out and confirm 🐀 is deeply homophobic?

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

Sigh. Where's the decorum, where's the proper complacency? Why do you assume that a left-wing anti-capitalist presidential candidate with the best chance of winning in the history of left-wing politics in America would get sabotaged, in any way possible regardless of blatantly transparent motive, by the agents of capital and imperialism that undeniably control the world, its economics, and the media? I'm frowning over here in my comfortable middle class American life and you angry folks need to grow up.

It's not like the same thing happened four years ago or anything...

I'm willing to admit my personal bias on this one, I caucused for Bernie in 2016, and in 2020. And my rear end is suspicious as hell of the IDC.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tom Perez should lose his job over this, at minimum

And his life

Blood of the caucus gods

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kaal posted:

You mean how they're incredibly toxic, have no love for Democrats, barely vote, are only interested in fair process when it suits them, and have a pretty shallow belief in progressive policy? Fakedems gotta fakedem I guess.

Holy loving poo poo this is the dumbest post in this thread

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I think the biggest reason most of us are pretty up in arms is because we know that the only logical way forward that will help curtail the crushing wealth inequality is if Bernie wins and because the DNC and MSM is going to fight him every step of the way we have to fight extra hard to make this happen. It is why so many people donated, so many people volunteered, and to a lesser extent why some of his supporters can be a bit abrasive. We all know what the stakes are. I for one am being crushed under a mountain of medical debt because I had the nerve to get sick in the greatest country on the planet. Of course this shouldn't happen and Bernie is the only candidate with anything substantive to do about it.

The other thing is this is really the beginning of a slow move leftward that is long overdue in this country and we really want that to happen. If we lose the nomination here it won't stop it but it will surely slow it.

I for one am not really getting my hopes up. We are up against an insane machine full of people that would rather trump win than give up one iota of power.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Oops

https://twitter.com/DefenseBaron/st...ingawful.com%2F

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

oxsnard posted:

I'm sorry your concern trolling after months of not participating in this thread is off-putting

Did it ever occur to you that the reason I haven’t participated in this thread before yesterday is because of poo poo like this?

Also, good job on sounding like TFR

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Instead of throwing one long hissy fit and continually making GBS threads up the thread, why don't you just take a break or spend your time elsewhere? It's pretty obvious you aren't enjoying yourself, so what the gently caress is your goal here?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Thread cranky, everybody needs some juice and a nap-nap

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Everyone is using 🐀 on Pete posts now.

Since 🐍 was declared deeply misogynist are people going to come out and confirm 🐀 is deeply homophobic?

Well I mean it was obvious the snake was a penis and the platypus is an abomination unto the lord. Like Pete. Who is gay.
I'll expect my check in the mail, DNC counter-troll farm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

kidkissinger posted:

Are people trying say that Buttigieg ISNT an intelligence creep?

Oh bro, you should have been here for 2016 if you wanted to read some arrogant, outrageous poo poo. At least they have the courtesy to snivel and whine this time around.