Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Khanstant posted:

Is there a thread for those meal-replacement powder things. Soylent, Huel, etc? Had Soylent a long time ago, it was nice to have a soulless meal goop to wolf down when eating/cooking/scavenging takes too long.

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Khanstant posted:

Is there a thread for those meal-replacement powder things. Soylent, Huel, etc? Had Soylent a long time ago, it was nice to have a soulless meal goop to wolf down when eating/cooking/scavenging takes too long.

We eat food 'round here.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Khanstant posted:

You'll prob have better luck in W&W

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Manifisto posted:

morph frames do make it smoother but really bump up the filesize (this is with two tween frames, my software does not easily let me do a single tween frame):

e: version with a single tween frame, smaller filesize:

Just a heads up, the chickchee thread was recently re-opened for final tallying, you might wanna re-post these there so we can all claim our well-deserved* glory.

I like all the ones you've done, I'd be happy to wear any of them.

*Me, not so much, but dammit I want one

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Just a heads up, the chickchee thread was recently re-opened for final tallying, you might wanna re-post these there so we can all claim our well-deserved* glory.

I like all the ones you've done, I'd be happy to wear any of them.

*Me, not so much, but dammit I want one

cool, thanks for the heads up!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Manifisto posted:

cool, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for smoothing those transitions, Manifisto! Makes a big difference to the likes o' me :)

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I bet the room mate that lives down stairs hates the smell of my crockpot. I keep all my chicken bones in there, keeping it on low. But i smell his weed smoke so it should be fair game.
Other than that, I'm really impressed with the combo of powder ginger + powder cumin + powder garlic. I'd like to get tumeric but i'm afraid of staining the countertops yellow.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

excellent bird guy posted:

I bet the room mate that lives down stairs hates the smell of my crockpot. I keep all my chicken bones in there, keeping it on low. But i smell his weed smoke so it should be fair game.
Other than that, I'm really impressed with the combo of powder ginger + powder cumin + powder garlic. I'd like to get tumeric but i'm afraid of staining the countertops yellow.

Turmeric does stain stuff, but it will fade out on most things. It does tend to permanently stain plastics though. I have a pan guard on my hand blender that is a lovely shade of green now rather than it's original black after I used it to blend a soup with turmeric in it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got a good castella cake recipe? Specifically Taiwanese style which I think means honeyed.

What are the characteristics of castella I should be aiming for? Is it just spongy pound cake

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

What is better than roasted broccoli nothing that's right no questions drop mic crotch chop

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Chard posted:

What is better than roasted broccoli nothing that's right no questions drop mic crotch chop

Roasted cauliflower. And mashed cauliflower. And probably steamed cauliflower with butter and lemon juice. And roasted brussel sprouts. And Meatball pizza.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Helith posted:

Turmeric does stain stuff, but it will fade out on most things. It does tend to permanently stain plastics though. I have a pan guard on my hand blender that is a lovely shade of green now rather than it's original black after I used it to blend a soup with turmeric in it.

I want a good immersion blender to blend up a soup before straining. Made a split pea soup in instand pot then seasoned with half and half plus spices in a skillet and cream cheese. i took an ambien and it makes me very creative cook. i ate with an indian flatbread.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Speaking of cauliflower, I want to try making an easy gochujang cauliflower something. Preferably no frying. I found this recipe - is it as good as any? And could I switch coconut oil for olive or vegetable oil? I've never really cooked with cauliflower as a main ingredient but bought a head on a whim last shopping day.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got a good castella cake recipe? Specifically Taiwanese style which I think means honeyed.

What are the characteristics of castella I should be aiming for? Is it just spongy pound cake

I haven't made this, but the cake in this video looks delicious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840D3AcTmcM

0:12 shows the jiggliness the cake should have, and ~7:25 shows the interior texture.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 3, 2020

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Chard posted:

roasted broccoli with garlic and anchovies and Parmesan

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So as anyone following the chickencheese thread knows (and maybe I mentioned it once here?), I'm broke af and primarily subsisting off of food bank stuff and poo poo my grocery-working husband brings home when it codes out (basically: dumpster diving before it makes it into the dumpster).

I have some Brussels sprouts, and they... well, they're kinda brown on the outside. But they still smell okay and are firm, not squishy or slimy. Y'all think I can just peel the brown leaves off, then broil the gently caress outta them?

Also: didn't GWS once have a dedicated thread for this "is this poo poo off or safe to eat?" question?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

So as anyone following the chickencheese thread knows (and maybe I mentioned it once here?), I'm broke af and primarily subsisting off of food bank stuff and poo poo my grocery-working husband brings home when it codes out (basically: dumpster diving before it makes it into the dumpster).

I have some Brussels sprouts, and they... well, they're kinda brown on the outside. But they still smell okay and are firm, not squishy or slimy. Y'all think I can just peel the brown leaves off, then broil the gently caress outta them?

Also: didn't GWS once have a dedicated thread for this "is this poo poo off or safe to eat?" question?

Yep. Just peel back the wilted leaves until they're green globes. I'd roast them, since that would give you the best "heat kills all germs" time if you're still concerned.

EDIT: I'm working on a new thread about "Cooking for Poor Folks" right now. I should post it later this week.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Concur on the roasting and that the sprouts should be fine from a safety standpoint.

Also, take a thin slice off of the base of each one when you peel the browned leaves off. (You were probably planning to do that already.) Another thing that you could do to improve palatability is to soak the sprouts in cold salt water for 20-30 minutes before roasting. It helps mitigate any bitterness.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pretty much all vegetables are okay to eat if they're slightly brown or wilted. If they are getting squishy and slimly or smelly it's time to toss.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
on the subject of "is this safe to eat" I picked up some bacon last week that had a sell by date of 1/31. Looks and smells fine, will I die?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nah. Cook it up and you can keep the cooked bacon a little while longer even.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ok last question before I hit the store. I'm making grapefruit souffles, I made a recipe for chocolate chambord ones last week and it called for 4 egg whites : a bit less than 2 cups of other stuff, came out perfectly and was exactly the amount of little baby souffles I wanted. The grapefruit recipe I'm looking at calls for less stuff and 5 egg whites and its making me a) ansty and b) worried I'm going to have too much dessert.

Recipe here:
https://www.womensweeklyfood.com.au/recipes/pink-grapefruit-souffles-6026 I'm going to omit the grenadine because its stupid and go for heavy cream or half and half instead of the skim milk for the same reason.

Edit: Disregard this I can't math.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 4, 2020

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

i cant say i've tried anything like you're describing, but maybe you could smoke it for a while, wrap in foil/paper with some of the adobo sauce, cook for a while and then remove from foil, coating it again on the smoker while it finishes up.

i could see a thick wet sauce impeding good smoking but this might let you layer on the adobo flavor for part of the cook.

i didnt watch all of this but maybe this cook will give you some ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkSVOG4YUPU

That sounds like a good idea. Lemme see if I understand.
1) Coat with Texas-style dry rub.
2) Smoke at 250 for 6 hours.
3) Wrap in foil and douse in the adobo. Set on a baking sheet in case it leaks all over the smoker.
4) Put it back in the smoker for another ~6 hours.
5) Rest for ~1 hour. Reduce the drippings to a spicy salsa
6) Slice into thin slices and put into tacos.

Does that sound right?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Be sure to check out the Help! I'm poor and want to make good food thread. Tons of great advice there.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Souffles worked great! Some minor alterations on the recipe: little extra grapefruit juice because the cream/egg yolk part was way too thick. Subbed in a tsp of vanilla extract for the grenadine, and grated some fresh ginger.

Excuse my counter, I have only done phase one cleaning from dinner

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have this chili scruncher. What kinds of chilis should I put in it for general-purpose "red chili flakes" use? Is there something special/better worth using?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have this chili scruncher. What kinds of chilis should I put in it for general-purpose "red chili flakes" use? Is there something special/better worth using?
Dried chiles de arbol. When you ask whether there's something special/better worth using, do you mean a better/special chili, or a better/special device for crushing up peppers?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I... have never needed to scrunch a chili. :stare:

What am I missing?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squashy Nipples posted:

I... have never needed to scrunch a chili. :stare:

What am I missing?

Not $17

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Can someone walk me through a good crispy cauliflower-based pizza crust? I made my first attempt over the weekend, used 2 lbs frozen riced cauliflower (that had some cheese included), a few eggs (recipe said just one egg but that didn't seem to make it hold together enough), some chevre cheese. It was delicious but kind of a mushy mess - more of a casserole than a pizza.

I suspect I did not do a good job of getting the water out of the cauliflower and would do better to rice my own rather than buying prebought. Is that correct? What is the process? What is the technique behind this that I need to be aware of?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Dehydrator for 30 mins works great

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bagheera posted:

That sounds like a good idea. Lemme see if I understand.
1) Coat with Texas-style dry rub.
2) Smoke at 250 for 6 hours.
3) Wrap in foil and douse in the adobo. Set on a baking sheet in case it leaks all over the smoker.
4) Put it back in the smoker for another ~6 hours.
5) Rest for ~1 hour. Reduce the drippings to a spicy salsa
6) Slice into thin slices and put into tacos.

Does that sound right?

yeah, that seems about right. you might be able to cut back your time on the first smoke, i think the meat only absorbs smoke for the first 3-4 hours (iirc?). and you may not need a full 6 hours in the foil either.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Dried chiles de arbol. When you ask whether there's something special/better worth using, do you mean a better/special chili, or a better/special device for crushing up peppers?

Special chili. Was wondering if like thai peppers or something would also be good as a generic 'red pepper' or should stick with arbol.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I ate a slice of pizza with a local blend of chipotle, ancho, and habanero, and it was amazing. But you have to be down with the dark smokey flavor.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i thawed out a 3.5lb sirloin tip roast for the big game, didn't end up needing it.

i don't want to put it back in the freezer (i don't think? seconding freezing is pretty rough on it right?)

It seems the recommended cooking method is to roast it in the oven on a rack, like prime rib or whatever. Would it be bad if I just threw it in the slow cooker? Really not in the mood for medium rare red meat at the moment, Sunday was way too gluttonous

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you have sous vide? Sirloin is one of the better cuts to use it with and you'll expand your shelf life if it isn't appealing today.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah, that seems about right. you might be able to cut back your time on the first smoke, i think the meat only absorbs smoke for the first 3-4 hours (iirc?). and you may not need a full 6 hours in the foil either.
Smoke ring formation is usually done after a couple hours for most smoking conditions (e.g. smoke chamber at 225 F/107 C). It's actually temperature dependent--the reactions that determine cooked meat colour start to become irreversible around 145 F/63 C, and are more or less complete by 175 F/80 C.

The cured/smoked colour is due to iron in myglobin (the pigment that carries oxygen in the meat tissue, like hemoglobin in blood) binding irreversibly to nitric oxide. Which means that you have to have NO present for it to happen. NO is a combustion product of wood, charcoal, and other hydrocarbons and so it's in the smoke, and when it comes into contact with the moist surface of the meat it forms nitric acid, which can penetrate the surface of the meat. This happens in very small quantities (with charcoal smoke NO is usually around 20 ppm) but it's responsible for all of the smoke ring formation (asterisk, unless you're using curing salt or some other modernist trick to get a smoke ring without smoke).

So, tl;dr version is that for a smoke ring to form you've got to get NO into the surface of the meat before it hits around 160 F/ 70C (plus or minus) and once the surface of the meat is over that temperature (to the depth that the NO can penetrate) you can throw the meat in the oven or keep it in the smoker and it won't meaningfully change the amount of smoke ring you get.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I got a big bag of individually frozen, vacuum packed cod fillets at Costco and then forgot about them when I got home for a few hours. 2 were frozen enough that I tossed them in the freezer, 2 completely thawed (cooking them tonight with this lovely recipe from Doom Rooster) and then I have 2 semi-frozen ones left. Will they keep okay in the fridge overnight and does anyone have any favorite easy cod recipes?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I got a big bag of individually frozen, vacuum packed cod fillets at Costco and then forgot about them when I got home for a few hours. 2 were frozen enough that I tossed them in the freezer, 2 completely thawed (cooking them tonight with this lovely recipe from Doom Rooster) and then I have 2 semi-frozen ones left. Will they keep okay in the fridge overnight and does anyone have any favorite easy cod recipes?

Should be fine overnight. And for recipe, fish and chips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Do you have sous vide? Sirloin is one of the better cuts to use it with and you'll expand your shelf life if it isn't appealing today.

yeah, i just Amazon'd some big bags. the vacuum sealing helps it hold up better, right, if i freeze it again?

This cut of sirloin tip has had an unfortunate life with me. I originally bought it for Christmas, then the guest list expanded so i got a larger prime rib roast instead. then on super bowl weekend we decided to do 'make your own pizza.'

...I've eaten way too richly the past month and a half, just want lentils and broccoli forever