Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's not filez if you actually own a license/key.

Yeah but you don't know if whoever clicks that link actually does

Prob not a good idea. People can google for it if they need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Under the Internet Copyright Act signed by Bill Clinton you MUST delete this copy of Warcraft 3 after 24 hours.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I got my refund but it's in blizzbucks. I guess I'll just put $5 of it into a starcraft 2 coop commander. At least that's still fun for a couple hours.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

You can't play on battle.net without a key, so most people do have licenses.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Telebite posted:

so most people do have licenses.

That's the galling thing about it all. "Thanks for purchasing our game, hope you weren't still enjoying it!"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but you don't know if whoever clicks that link actually does

Prob not a good idea. People can google for it if they need it.

You need the keys to install it iirc.

But yeah, generally im super against filez. But this is a rare case where I can't get the original through conventional means anymore so :shrug: imma do me.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is Reforged worth it if I just want to play the campaign? And if not, are there any good graphics mods for the original?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Boz0r posted:

Is Reforged worth it if I just want to play the campaign? And if not, are there any good graphics mods for the original?

All in all, I'd say for *just* the campaign, Reforged is overpriced. There are various bugs, many of which are apparently being addressed in a patch later this week, and some jank in some of the cutscenes introduced by the new graphics and animation-work, which I don't honestly expect to be addressed quickly, if at all.

However, I'm one of those people who genuinely enjoys the new graphics, and despite the campaign not exactly being massively overhauled, I enjoyed playing through it again with the new graphics, and enjoyed what changes there were. The Human campaign in particular in loaded with a number of small touches and details, mostly aesthetic, but occasionally gameplay-effecting, if only mildly, with a couple of levels along the way with greatly reworked terrain - I'll admit, it didn't occur to me that the Blood Elf Jail escape and their tower defense secret mission would be among the levels with reworked terrain. It doesn't affect the flow of the level, and the different "areas" and set-pieces of the level remain intact.

What I wanted out of this was to see *what* ended up getting done to the campaign (being aware that changes would not be as extensive as initially planned), and to enjoy the new graphics. With that in mind, I am satisfied with Reforged. I will be more satisfied once they bring back Custom Campaign access, but if I *really* want to open up one of those, I don't mind grabbing one of those available installers to install an old version that works with them.

In general, whether it's worth it or not depends on how lenient you are in your evaluation of "worth it", and how much you care about the major upset points about it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If it was £20 and not £40 it would have been fine, but £40 is far too expensive for what they put out

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Reforged is 40 British quids? Jesus guv

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Reforged is 40 British quids? Jesus guv

Yeaaap

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Is that some brexit poo poo? It's 30€ in Denmark.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I was sure it was 25 quid when I looked last year

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I just got a refund for 40 so :shrug:

halwain
May 31, 2011

How did they gently caress up unit portraits so hard :(

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

halwain posted:

Arthas looks better IMO, but everything else is just... yeesh.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Yikes, Jaina and the Dryad look like bad Poser 3D models.

Chen Stormstout looks okay though.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Jaina looks like she wouldn't be out of place on one of those old graphics card box renders.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

y'all that is a straight-up OG Warcraft 3 asset being used in the middle of the Reforged campaign

what is happening to my body

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wish the new art team made the asset “portal pulled open by ghost hands” have a goatse ring since it’s not like Blizzard was gonna look at anything anyways, lol.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
important question

can you rotate the camera 45 deg while spectating someone else doing it as well to flip the game's camera?

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Floor is lava posted:

important question

can you rotate the camera 45 deg while spectating someone else doing it as well to flip the game's camera?

what do you mean "spectating"? in war3, camera movement is client-side only - it's not an ingame "Action" so it doesn't get sent to other players or recorded in replays*. in a live game, observers/referees don't have any kind of autofollow option, and when viewing replays, "Auto-Camera" just tries to intelligently place the camera where the selected player is currently issuing actions.

*as far as we know. this was definitely the case in classic, but they've added some new actions to the replay format that i believe nobody knows about. the suspicion is that they're mostly related to the new natives added to worldedit, but there's at least one that shows up in melee games so idk. i feel like it's not camera movement though, because it'd be a very common action if that was recorded.

all of that to say: No

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

halwain posted:

:effort:

The camera angles for Arthas and Jaina do feel especially odd in practice

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Kith posted:

y'all that is a straight-up OG Warcraft 3 asset being used in the middle of the Reforged campaign

what is happening to my body

Is it the portal? It's been forever since I've played OG campaign, but that portal looks fine to me in a still screenshot at least

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

Is it the portal? It's been forever since I've played OG campaign, but that portal looks fine to me in a still screenshot at least

It's more the fact that it literally did not get changed by Reforged at all. It is 100% the same visual asset as pre-Reforged. I was surprised, too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

halwain posted:

They look like unfinished placeholders. it's like someone said "alright, we'll have these here for now and go back and make them look good later" and then forgot to go back and fix them.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

uniball posted:

what do you mean "spectating"? in war3, camera movement is client-side only - it's not an ingame "Action" so it doesn't get sent to other players or recorded in replays*. in a live game, observers/referees don't have any kind of autofollow option, and when viewing replays, "Auto-Camera" just tries to intelligently place the camera where the selected player is currently issuing actions.

*as far as we know. this was definitely the case in classic, but they've added some new actions to the replay format that i believe nobody knows about. the suspicion is that they're mostly related to the new natives added to worldedit, but there's at least one that shows up in melee games so idk. i feel like it's not camera movement though, because it'd be a very common action if that was recorded.

all of that to say: No

Sorry, was thinking of Starcraft 2 where you were able to flip the camera view.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

HonorableTB posted:

It sure is! It looks extremely out of place in real time because of the little spirit-y bits floating around the edges. Speaking of the edges, they're jagged as gently caress and everything else is rounded.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Got my refund, I'll buy it again if they bring back custom campaigns and fix their netcode so that 99% of lobbies are more than 1 bar. They need to fix their poo poo.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

Sorry, was thinking of Starcraft 2 where you were able to flip the camera view.

Looking at this is really hurting my brain

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Minorkos posted:

Looking at this is really hurting my brain

I know, right?

One of my favorite stupid things to do with War3 maps was alter building facings very slightly to drive people playing crazy.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

halwain posted:

god loving drat it this is embarrassing, the HotS assets just there

when I first heard about reforged I thought it was going to be a solid lock exactly because the warcraft stuff in HotS looked pretty loving good and proper to the style of the game, but late capitalism can destroy anything indeed

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Went to play a little more of the campaign and I got chucked into the login queue while the menu new screen sound effect looped the entire time. Why the gently caress is there even an online component before you go to play multiplayer???

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://youtu.be/dQC08l9xVxc

Nice cyclone animations. Definitely not a hackjob.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Went to play a little more of the campaign and I got chucked into the login queue while the menu new screen sound effect looped the entire time. Why the gently caress is there even an online component before you go to play multiplayer???

- Every non-console Diablo 3 player.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mahatma-Squid posted:

DRM

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Yeah okay, fair point and I had forgotten Diablo 3 was just the same even though it wasn't long since I last played it. Just feels way dumber to wait in a server queue to play the singleplayer of a 17 year old game.

Also dumbest thing so far: Thralls stupid rear end chinstrap beard thing, and because they were too lazy to re-do the cutscenes he's still clean shaven in the cinematic with Mannoroth. My immersion!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

No its super loving dumb and awful, especially considering they force patched it into the classic release.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saying DRM is why Activision-Blizz did it. I'm not saying that justifies it. Its super stupid. Paying customers shouldn't be inconvenienced by DRM. It doesn't actually prevent people from pirating anyways. Its super dumb.

But expect all Blizz games to be always-online for this reason going forwards. Corporate mentality rules now.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
As far as the portraits being bad and ugly, I'd say that comes down to the old-new UI where there was no close up portrait, more of a torso bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

dead gay comedy forums posted:

god loving drat it this is embarrassing, the HotS assets just there

when I first heard about reforged I thought it was going to be a solid lock exactly because the warcraft stuff in HotS looked pretty loving good and proper to the style of the game, but late capitalism can destroy anything indeed

If they had truly wanted to update and "reforge' the game they would have done it in the SC2/HotS engine and used a lot of the HotS assets and Warcraft map tiles they already made for that game. Then we could have also had a non garbage ui, functional multiplayer with a ranked system already baked in, and in game cut scenes that actually look good. The sc2 engine is great at doing cut scenes that would have fit the WC3 story really well.

Unfortunately what Blizzard really wanted to do was to kill off Warcraft 3 classic and update the EULA. My gut tells me that was the entire reason any of this was done because some suit is still upset about Dota.