Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

quote:

the fan-favourite of "Torture" is going to be making a return

CK3 thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

what is prowess again? combat ability?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, it's 'personal combat skill'.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

darthbob88 posted:

It's been a while since I played, but for some reason CK2 keeps getting stuck at a max resolution of 1366x768. Is this normal now, or is my installation just screwed up?

Perhaps you have windows UI scaling turned on and CK2 is in borderless window mode. Try playing with scaling settings in CK2 executable properties.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Great dev diary.

Have they said anything about how the perk tree works if you switch to a middle-ages heir? Seems like there are three options:
1) You already have perks which the AI has unlocked
2) You unlock a bunch of perks all at once
3) You start from scratch with 0 perks

1) seems like the best option but all three are a bit weird.

Also I know portraits are 3D models now but has there been any hint that they might be animated?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i believe you have a choice to respec but it costs stress

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

fuf posted:

Also I know portraits are 3D models now but has there been any hint that they might be animated?

They've talked about animation but I think they always mean static pose.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nosfereefer posted:

So a little over 200 years into the game, and I think someone broke Europe?

Aztecs, Cathars and "Loli"!? New Shadowrun remake looking sick

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

it's Lollard that got cut off. lmao

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

fuf posted:

Great dev diary.

Have they said anything about how the perk tree works if you switch to a middle-ages heir? Seems like there are three options:
1) You already have perks which the AI has unlocked
2) You unlock a bunch of perks all at once
3) You start from scratch with 0 perks

1) seems like the best option but all three are a bit weird.

They've posted:

When a character becomes landed they will select a focus and unlock perks based on their age - the older they are, the more perks they will have unlocked. They will select an appropriate Lifestyle based on their education (making it even more important to manage your children’s education carefully), and perks based on their personality and traits. Do not worry though, if you’re not satisfied with the hand you’re dealt you can choose to reset all perks (within that Lifestyle) once per lifetime - though this will incur a massive amount of Stress (again, more on this in a later DD). Sometimes it’s worth playing the hand you’re dealt - perhaps going along with your lustful heir's seductive tendencies could open up a venue you hadn’t even considered?

Which implies 1, although it could be a bit different if you switch to playing a previously unlanded character

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah from the sound of it unlanded characters won't pick lifestyles, which actually presents an interesting decision to make re: landing/not landing your heir. In CK2 not landing them is basically always the correct answer but in CK3 this means that it's just more time that can pass with them not accumulating lifestyle perks, making them worse overall even if it means you have more control over them.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

what's the best retinue these days, is it still the shock/defense mix? unless you have LC or HI as your cultural retinue i mean.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

what's the best retinue these days, is it still the shock/defense mix? unless you have LC or HI as your cultural retinue i mean.

For general purpose fighting, yeah. If you just want to pad out your soldier count to make you appear stronger, then all light infantry is the way to go. And if you're a nomad, move your capital to Europe and build nothing but the 100% Heavy Cavalry retinue, just be aware they cost a stupidly large amount to reinforce if you gently caress something up and take a bunch of losses.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain Beans posted:

all the doctor poo poo is hilarious, it adds new ways for your heirs to live rather than die. Sometimes there may be some...side effects but hey that’s medieval medicine

If you haven't gotten your syphilis cured by bees or had your leprosy cured by having your dick cut off have you even truly played the game?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you haven't gotten your syphilis cured by bees or had your leprosy cured by having your dick cut off have you even truly played the game?

Where's the mod to make my Court Physician a bee!?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
okay, this is kinda weird. in the last week or so the maptext in ck2 has become unreadable, especially when i'm zoomed out. was thinking it might be a GPU thing, but i've unchecked every option in the Radeon menu, so i don't think that's it. anyone have any idea?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

oscarthewilde posted:

okay, this is kinda weird. in the last week or so the maptext in ck2 has become unreadable, especially when i'm zoomed out. was thinking it might be a GPU thing, but i've unchecked every option in the Radeon menu, so i don't think that's it. anyone have any idea?

Reddit's got some ideas for you. It seems to be a an issue with the patch.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I really need an Abbasid civil war to fire soon. I have a ton of prestige and piety and want to use a great conquest CB on Egypt so that I can finally mend the schism. How the gently caress do I encourage this? They are about to enter a 5 year regency after I just killed the Caliph.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dirk Pitt posted:

I really need an Abbasid civil war to fire soon. I have a ton of prestige and piety and want to use a great conquest CB on Egypt so that I can finally mend the schism. How the gently caress do I encourage this? They are about to enter a 5 year regency after I just killed the Caliph.

Can you get the Dragon to shatter them?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Randaconda posted:

Can you get the Dragon to shatter them?

Not enough grace and I have never survived a trip to China to kowtow. But I guess I can try :thunk:

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009
I started a new game today with gender equality set to all, and ironman is still active for achievements. Is this a new change?

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Dirk Pitt posted:

Not enough grace and I have never survived a trip to China to kowtow. But I guess I can try :thunk:

Sell your artifacts.

Gotta say, a Catholic Alexiad start is really good for Outremer games. Win the inevitable instant Crusade for Egypt, which completely annihilates the Fatimids, sell off your Christian artifacts to the Chinese and get them to shatter the Seljuks, and then chew through the minors to form Jerusalem and vassalise an order, making you undisputed top dog of the Middle East.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

super-redguy posted:

Sell your artifacts.

Gotta say, a Catholic Alexiad start is really good for Outremer games. Win the inevitable instant Crusade for Egypt, which completely annihilates the Fatimids, sell off your Christian artifacts to the Chinese and get them to shatter the Seljuks, and then chew through the minors to form Jerusalem and vassalise an order, making you undisputed top dog of the Middle East.

You’re so strong if you can win the first crusade that there is no reason to cheese China to be successful.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So I've been working through the immortal event chain and have somehow survived to the third step. I drank the potion and got a message about my character dying, and a son being born with all my virtues (though not strong like me 😤). But I don't see an immortal trait. Did I pass or fail the quest?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

So I've been working through the immortal event chain and have somehow survived to the third step. I drank the potion and got a message about my character dying, and a son being born with all my virtues (though not strong like me 😤). But I don't see an immortal trait. Did I pass or fail the quest?
Fail

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Yep, reincarnation is one of the various failure states.

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009

Goldreallas XXX posted:

I started a new game today with gender equality set to all, and ironman is still active for achievements. Is this a new change?

Unfortunately, although at the start the equality worked for succession (I had a woman khagan), it seems that if you become Ghengis Khan, it forces you back into the traditional (i.e. male only) succession for nomads. I think this is because nomads are by default agnatic and its a tag created through decision, rather than creating the tag normally. There seems to be a lot of fiddly little details like this in nomad succession that makes it very confusing and difficult to manage. That's not really a problem though, it should be hard to engineer succession correctly as a nomad. Guess I now have to reform Tengrism to get enatic clans.

More irritating is that the game doesn't model the actual splintering of the Mongol empire. They shouldn't be unrelated clans that spin off on succession, but members of the same dynasty. I wish there was a way to grant khanates to your dynasty members.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I got some odd happenings in my game. My celibate queen seems to have knocked up my spymaster.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Loki is up to their old tricks I guess.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Satanists make everything better.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Jesus my son is a goonlord.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Surely Game Master should be giving negative two to diplomacy, if not worse? :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

winterwerefox posted:

I have never met a goon that was Kind and/or Patient.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I didn't think I was personally ready for CK3 to come out this year and obsolete this dumb game that I've put thousands of hours into but then chess with death fired today in the middle of a legendary gathering so, you know, gently caress it

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Funky Valentine posted:

I have never met a goon that was Kind and/or Patient.

Kind, patient, generous, well-read, an accomplished doctor and a master diplomat.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Kind, patient, generous, well-read, an accomplished doctor and a master diplomat.

And he has a girlfriend.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also he's fat with a bad mustache

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Why do crusades keep failing to start in my game? The pope has called 3 thus far and all 3 have collapsed before beginning with the pope being hella shady to every catholic for not going.

Meanwhile all of these crusades had us at like, 400-600% strength compared to where we were going to go.

This is the first time I've played catholic since back when the Republic was new, and the new crusade mechanics are awkward and I just wanna go fight.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 4, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Found the ur-Goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking