Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, compare how much America changed ideologically from 2000 to 2020. Grab someone from the day before George W Bush was elected and drop them off on the day before Donald Trump was elected and they've have a brainsplintering meltdown over it. It stands to reason a much vaster political entity like the United Federation of Planets could have even vaster ideological swings over the same time period.

That's kind of a weird comparison. What do you think has changed drastically about the US since 2000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Me, I was saying I didn't think such a swing was properly motivatied.

Well, poo poo, I don't think the change in the ideological structure of America (and frankly, much of the western world) was properly motivated either, but it sure did happen.

Edit: That said, it's storytelling, and I agree it should have some motivation in the text. Is the Mars thing enough? Probably not, but we don't know if it will get fleshed out more in the future or not. I can see them making the argument that a bunch of wars and superweapons happened and then the Mars thing was just the thing that tipped everything over - but they should at least make that argument onscreen.

large_gourd posted:

That's kind of a weird comparison. What do you think has changed drastically about the US since 2000?

Our basic relationship with the facts vs narratives? The rise of hyper-polarization and political gatekeeping? This affects both sides of the aisle to varying degrees. But look at it this way - there are now people that are out and proud nazis in America - and they have political power. I can't look around and say that things haven't changed, drastically. I don't know what it will lead to, but I'm also not a doomsayer, necessarily - pendulums are always swinging.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 4, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe we just saw them at their one-day-a-month work shift

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, compare how much America changed ideologically from 2000 to 2020. Grab someone from the day before George W Bush was elected and drop them off on the day before Donald Trump was elected and they've have a brainsplintering meltdown over it. It stands to reason a much vaster political entity like the United Federation of Planets could have even vaster ideological swings over the same time period.

I was always kind of curious how Federation politics works, what their political parties stand for (if they still have them), and what policies have changed from term to term

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

:v: :"Mr. Propmaster, we need a radical new and fresh gun design for our Star Trek show set in the future of Star Trek!"
:) :"Unrelated question, have you ever heard of Mega Man?"
:v: :"No."
:) :"Good...good."

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Cries in TNG s1e1 'keyfob' phaser.

seems like it was used in more season 1 episodes https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x54/TrueX-Ray/TNG%20Caption%20This/TNGCaption304b.jpg

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 4, 2020

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can't wait for the dark secret that the Romulans created the Borg.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Maybe the Borg created the Romulans.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whole lotta people real angry over some crooked teeth
One person making a joke about a dude's awful grooming turns into a lot of people being angry over crooked teeth.

This is the worst game of telephone ever.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Angry Salami posted:

Maybe the Borg created the Romulans.

Borg creates Romulans
Federation destroys Borg
Romulans destroy Romulus
Romulans resurrect Borg
Borg destroy Earth
Vulcans inherit the Federation!

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Tarquinn posted:

:v: :"Mr. Propmaster, we need a radical new and fresh gun design for our Star Trek show set in the future of Star Trek!"
:) :"Unrelated question, have you ever heard of Mega Man?"
:v: :"No."
:) :"Good...good."

Mega Morn

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Morn + Rabbids: Federation Battle

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's totally gonna actually be Morn.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Morn is having his own time-traveling adventure, but we don't get to see the context because the series isn't from his POV

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

galenanorth posted:

Morn is having his own time-traveling adventure, but we don't get to see the context because the series isn't from his POV

I would unironically be down for Morn just appearing in the background of all current Trek shows doing something, and it forms some time travelling mini-story when all his background adventures are strung together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There should be a two hour special where Wesley Crusher and Jack Sisko compete for who's the most worthless.

Edit: hosted by Neelix.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rhyno posted:

There should be a two hour special where Wesley Crusher and Jack Sisko compete for who's the most worthless.

Yeah, Neelix is out because there's no contest otherwise. It would be like putting Michael Jordan up against elementary school athletes (in more ways than one).

Substitute Mayweather for Crusher and you've got a fair contest. At least Crusher did worthwhile things, even if there were to act as a deus ex machina every other show. Mayweather had one good character moment in the pilot and then was just sort of there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HD DAD posted:

I would unironically be down for Morn just appearing in the background of all current Trek shows doing something, and it forms some time travelling mini-story when all his background adventures are strung together.

Like Abed delivering a baby!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Admiralty Flag posted:

Yeah, Neelix is out because there's no contest otherwise. It would be like putting Michael Jordan up against elementary school athletes (in more ways than one).

Substitute Mayweather for Crusher and you've got a fair contest. At least Crusher did worthwhile things, even if there were to act as a deus ex machina every other show. Mayweather had one good character moment in the pilot and then was just sort of there.

Mayweather was crucial in one of the most fascinating (for me) episodes of ENT about that automatic repair station we never heard about later. Like, never ever again.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Mayweather was crucial in one of the most fascinating (for me) episodes of ENT about that automatic repair station we never heard about later. Like, never ever again.

That's my favorite ENT too!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That repair station became the Borg.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

HD DAD posted:

No he should be on the bridge.

Communications Officer Morn.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Rhyno posted:

That repair station became the Borg.

I honestly thought that's what that sinister end-scene was hinting at, back when i first saw it as a teenager, without realising it didn't make sense

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am legit shocked that Voyager never did a time travel SECRET ORIGIN OF THE BORG story. Pull that station into a space lightning storm, go wild.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The Borg origin story should just be the Borg going back in time and going from there.

Make it completely circular.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The Borg origin story should just be the Borg going back in time and going from there.

It would be interesting if it turned out that the Borg starting off earlier made them somehow LESS threatening in "present" day, so instead of trying to fight them in the present the Federation just has to keep bringing the Borg further and further into the galactic past... But that comes with a whole bunch of ethical questions of their own.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Queen gets her hands on discovery, jumps to picard and data, has sex with both and then jumps back 2k years into most distant part of space, the DQ and starts there :O

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hear the DQ is a good place for u kno what

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I won't stand for this disrespect of Jake Sisko, saviour of the federation. If he hadn't got that message out that the minefield was about to drop, the Dominion would have won.

Sharing the glory with Morn, of course.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

I hear the DQ is a good place for u kno what

the Dick Quadrant

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Dairy Queen

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HD DAD posted:

Dairy Queen

The Borg created the Peanut Buster Parfait.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Jake-o is a great character. Smh at anyone who mentions him in the same breath as Wes

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

The Borg created the Peanut Buster Parfait.

“We seek perfection.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HD DAD posted:

“We seek perfection.”

There's a soft serve machine in every Borg Alcove.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There's a soft serve machine in every Borg Alcove.

Somebody replace the lightning circle with a churning window

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Do you mean Jake? Because :wtc:

Jake owns. He and Nog are great characters because the DS9 writers actually understood how to write for kids and anchor those characters and make them relatable with their family relationships, instead of just declaring them genius prodigies who knew better than the rest of the main cast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress Jake Sisko and Jack Sisko.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
More like Jerk Sisko am I right hehn hehn hernnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Joke Sisko