Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Why on earth would someone do this? It's gonna gently caress up their own career immensely.

If I had to guess the person who made the claim probably plagiarized something from Bunn and got called out on it. So they just claimed that they actually wrote it because Bunn hires ghost writers to try and lie their way out of being caught. Which is what happened when some stand up comedian stole Patton Oswalt's "failure bowl" routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lamuella posted:

The best/worst part of this is that this is literally a character design from Phoenix Wright with the name slightly altered and the chest expanded. https://aceattorney.fandom.com/wiki/Mia_Fey

One of the things about the CG "creators," I've noticed, is that you can track what they've been reading/playing/watching almost down to the episode.

I remember there was a Mexican CG creator who was trying to talk up his badass lady ninja indie comic via CG, and the main character was blatantly a slightly sexed-up version of Hibana from the Sega PS2 game Nightshade.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This is a bit of a different variety of terribleness than we usually have in this thread, but drat. This is a wild ride. Follow the article's links back through time and just marvel at the sheer idiocy.

Basically, one of the founders of DragonCon, Ed Kramer, is a convicted child molester. He's just made an Alford plea (basically accepting punishment but not guilt) to a bizarre case involving illegal access to a judge's PC. The judge thought a local DA was secretly accessing her computer, so she hired a PI, who in turn hired Kramer, and ... well, just read for yourself.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/dragoncon-founder-strikes-plea-deal-gwinnett-hacking-case/c8Mo8J6ufoUPzi4CZCD8cJ/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats one hell of a mugshot

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Gross.

https://twitter.com/TheSlyStallone/status/1224477169386000384?s=20

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Looks like somebody blew their racism load all over page 3 there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So between this and the new Rambo it's pretty safe to say that Sly is a full-on Nazi now, right?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm tired and I think my norco is kicking in, but I don't see anything objectional in that tweet? Was it the war elephant ripped off from lord of the rings? The graboids?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I'm tired and I think my norco is kicking in, but I don't see anything objectional in that tweet? Was it the war elephant ripped off from lord of the rings? The graboids?

That it's being funded by an IndieGoGo from Dickie Meyers' own account is what does it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Soonmot posted:

Granted I’m extrapolating here, but considering a bunch of nazis are making this I’m pretty sure that elephant is staffed with insensitive racial caricatures. Its entourage also includes a samurai, African warrior and what I think is a spartan. I’m sure the spartan will be fine.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So between this and the new Rambo it's pretty safe to say that Sly is a full-on Nazi now, right?

He probably just wants/needs the money bad enough and has no idea about the modern moral zeitgeist. And is a boomer. His agent should probably be screening these things better for him tho.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's a shame too because that's actually a neat concept, but there's no way in hell it's going to turn out good now

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

SoftNum posted:

He probably just wants/needs the money bad enough and has no idea about the modern moral zeitgeist. And is a boomer. His agent should probably be screening these things better for him tho.

Comicsgate is pretty obscure, even for people who read comics. There is no reason that Stallone or his agent should know that there is an issue here.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The infamously lovely Kitchener Comic Con, run by a jackass who sends fake lawsuits to intimidate women he's creeping on, lies about guests and sponsorships, and explicitly forbids con volunteers from stopping harassment, has a bold new plan:

He's inviting Vic and Nick as guests of honor. https://twitter.com/KitchenerCon/status/1224272353208754182?s=19

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

I saw an ad for this on my Facebook feed (why am I on Facebook, again?) and told FB to "hide" the ad, and all ads for that Kickstarter. I got a prompt asking why I chose to hide the ad, but "Comicsgate rear end in a top hat Creator" wasn't one of the pre-chosen options, so I just clicked "sensitive material."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's kind of impressive that they managed to hold a comic convention in Kitchener and Dave Sim wouldn't even make top 5 in the "Worst Attitude towards Women" contest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lots of subtweets about something going down on my feed the last half hour or so but i have no idea what about

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm seeing a lot of rehashed hubbub about artists versus writers again, triggered by a Kieron Gillen lecture.
https://twitter.com/TonyVnrs/status/1225147720505139202

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
It's about writers who feel they're the driving force behind the entirety of the work and the artist is just a tool *coughstanleecough*.

If you aren't mad, it's not about you.

If you are mad, hmmmmmmmmm.

site posted:

lots of subtweets about something going down on my feed the last half hour or so but i have no idea what about
From the looks of it it's any of the two or three things we're already talking about in the page or two.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The best thing is that it kicked off with someone screencapping writer Kieron Gillen's talk about how writers can't make comics without artists (assuming the writer can't draw) but artists can make comics without writers, because everyone has ideas.

It was self-deprecation from a writer to remind writers to collaborate with artists, and somehow writers... got mad?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/status/1225540940254916608

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

The best thing is that it kicked off with someone screencapping writer Kieron Gillen's talk about how writers can't make comics without artists (assuming the writer can't draw) but artists can make comics without writers, because everyone has ideas.

It was self-deprecation from a writer to remind writers to collaborate with artists, and somehow writers... got mad?

If there's something writers hate more then artists, it's other writers.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I think there's something to be said about how a writer can get big on several properties at once while an artist can do one title a month if they're lucky and fast.

edit: removed unsubstantiated opinion.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 7, 2020

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Squidster posted:

The infamously lovely Kitchener Comic Con, run by a jackass who sends fake lawsuits to intimidate women he's creeping on, lies about guests and sponsorships, and explicitly forbids con volunteers from stopping harassment, has a bold new plan:

He's inviting Vic and Nick as guests of honor. https://twitter.com/KitchenerCon/status/1224272353208754182?s=19

Let's see who they have as guests. Ah yes, who can forget the great works of....Toronto Picard!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

E the Shaggy posted:

Let's see who they have as guests. Ah yes, who can forget the great works of....Toronto Picard!

this is just a random bald man

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's clearly Q just pretending

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

Hey now, he's a random bald man in a Star Trek uniform

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

He looks like if you put Patrick Stewart into a microwave.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Even in death Stan Lee manages to steal credit from others: https://www.newsarama.com/48905-marvel-miscredits-captain-america-s-creators-in-the-end-editor-says-embarassing-mistake.html

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think you're looking for the "Industry greatness" thread. Stan Lee stealing credit from the grave is amazing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Still not as bad as Bob Kane, who literally stole credit for Batman on his gravestone.

Actually, didn't Stan pioneer crediting inkers & colourists?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Squidster posted:

I'm seeing a lot of rehashed hubbub about artists versus writers again, triggered by a Kieron Gillen lecture.
https://twitter.com/TonyVnrs/status/1225147720505139202

The timing of this happening while Random Stranger is hip-deep into his "read all of Rob Liefeld's Extreme Studios output" project one thread over is finger-lickin' good.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

E the Shaggy posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pastry of the Year posted:

The timing of this happening while Random Stranger is hip-deep into his "read all of Rob Liefeld's Extreme Studios output" project one thread over is finger-lickin' good.

I don't think it was the mediocre to terrible writing that sunk Liefeld back than as much the inability to get more than a couple issues out a year of anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh god, now they're complaining that Gail Simone's comics are too sexy.

https://twitter.com/DJG2215/status/1225812726141767680?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One thing I distinctly remember from Simone's run is she got Huntress in her new Jim Lee outfit, which was that midriff-baring deal with the hot pants. Dinah asked what the deal with it was and Helena says something like "one hundred crunches a day" and I think Dinah says something like 'fair enough.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

One thing I distinctly remember from Simone's run is she got Huntress in her new Jim Lee outfit, which was that midriff-baring deal with the hot pants. Dinah asked what the deal with it was and Helena says something like "one hundred crunches a day" and I think Dinah says something like 'fair enough.'

That was apparently editorial fiat. They told her Jim Lee insisted on it, and when she asked him later he was like, "nope."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

That was apparently editorial fiat. They told her Jim Lee insisted on it, and when she asked him later he was like, "nope."

Yeah, I can see that. Like how Gail really didn't want the Clocktower destroyed but once she got to the end of playing Whispers she found out people thought she was the one who wanted it blown up in whatever event.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Zack needs more money guys!

https://twitter.com/YellowFlashGuy/status/1228776564923551746?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I can see that. Like how Gail really didn't want the Clocktower destroyed but once she got to the end of playing Whispers she found out people thought she was the one who wanted it blown up in whatever event.

It was also her first DC gig after leaving Marvel of editorial disagreements, so I could absolutely see not wanting to rock the boat on costumes if they were letting her write whatever she wanted.