Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah. If you're gonna eat ABV, start low. I mean like 0.5 grams low. I see people on here downing 00 capsules like crazy, and that just feels insane.

Also, and unrelated to you--if you can smell dry herb vape clouds and cleaning supplies through your walls, your apartment is basically built of balsa wood. Get a $50 air purifier, and live your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Cacator posted:

Everything I've ever read about eating ABV like this just makes it sound miserable. Like it'll just knock you out for way longer than you want to be.

ABV is good. It just tastes and smells awful. There are no terpenes in ABV :(
Since I do low-temp vaping and there is still a lot of THC-A locked away in the bud, I end up putting mine through another decarb round and then doing an oil infusion. If you are careful with the straining and don't squeeze the cheesecloth, there is no fowl taste or strong odor that will ruin the experience. I do find that they make me a bit more sleepy than normal canna-oil, but they still get me wrecked regardless.

I guess its like making broth with chicken bones after you've eaten the chicken: the pleasant part is gone (the meat), but the wanted nutrients and proteins are still abundantly available.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I like my Solo 2 dry herb vape, but now that my husband is also using it, the glass tubes gum up with resin pretty fast and I find myself having to give them a robust clean at least once a week.

Any thread suggestions for a dry herb vape for occasional use that doesn't require too much upkeep?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Tipps posted:

I like my Solo 2 dry herb vape, but now that my husband is also using it, the glass tubes gum up with resin pretty fast and I find myself having to give them a robust clean at least once a week.

Any thread suggestions for a dry herb vape for occasional use that doesn't require too much upkeep?

dynavap

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Tipps posted:

Solo 2 is the least-intensive vape to clean that I can think of off the top of my head. They all gunk up like that, even the dynavap. You could get multiple glass tubes and then rotate them through use. Lots of other folks here say they just throw them in a pot of milk or oil and the resin comes out nicely that way and infuses into the mixture, fast and effective.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Entorwellian posted:

ABV is good. It just tastes and smells awful. There are no terpenes in ABV :(
Since I do low-temp vaping and there is still a lot of THC-A locked away in the bud, I end up putting mine through another decarb round and then doing an oil infusion. If you are careful with the straining and don't squeeze the cheesecloth, there is no fowl taste or strong odor that will ruin the experience. I do find that they make me a bit more sleepy than normal canna-oil, but they still get me wrecked regardless.

I guess its like making broth with chicken bones after you've eaten the chicken: the pleasant part is gone (the meat), but the wanted nutrients and proteins are still abundantly available.

I turned like 4 years worth of ABV into a pan of brownies this past weekend. First I soaked it in cold water for an hour or two and replaced the water 3 or 4 times until it came out clear- the first couple were coffee-black and STANK like abv, and that all went down the drain. Then I cooked it with butter. Brownie day I did the classic "maybe I'll have two" because they came out tasting better than a lot of regular weed brownies I've eaten in history and I thought they might have come out weaker than expected. I lost like a day and a half. Turns out I needed more like a quarter of a tiny brownie.

Note that I'm not very anal about toasting every bowl right to the edge, because I save the ABV. I used to vape each bowl 3 times in the herbalaire and go right up until the taste started to get bad and that ABV made lovely edibles. YMMV

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 4, 2020

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Totally with you on that. It's worth saving the ABV for sure. I like your technique of water treating like that beforehand.

If I'm making edibles or oil, I usually just double what the normal amount would be. So I'd probably do an 20-28 grams worth per cup of oil.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
There’s definitely a chaos factor when it comes to ABV, because you’re mixing different strains with different amounts of THC vaped out of it, so who knows how many mg you’re getting from a teaspoon. Half a gram usually gets me pretty good. Tastes like poo poo but I treat it like a shot, down it with some yogurt and use the rest as a chaser. If you’ve got a lot then water curing works pretty well though you still gotta bake it at like 200 for a while to dry it out and I’m pretty sure your house will smell like weed for a few hours

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Figure out how to do this for real and call it Untitled Goose Strain

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

poverty goat posted:

I turned like 4 years worth of ABV into a pan of brownies this past weekend. First I soaked it in cold water for an hour or two and replaced the water 3 or 4 times until it came out clear- the first couple were coffee-black and STANK like abv, and that all went down the drain. Then I cooked it with butter. Brownie day I did the classic "maybe I'll have two" because they came out tasting better than a lot of regular weed brownies I've eaten in history and I thought they might have come out weaker than expected. I lost like a day and a half. Turns out I needed more like a quarter of a tiny brownie.

Note that I'm not very anal about toasting every bowl right to the edge, because I save the ABV. I used to vape each bowl 3 times in the herbalaire and go right up until the taste started to get bad and that ABV made lovely edibles. YMMV

the water trick is a good one, I did an iso wash of my abv, screened it, then cooked off the alcohol. It tastes like essence of used weed

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Looking for a cheap vape rig, is there anything good out there?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Just ate about 1.5 g of ABV in a peanut butter & nutella sandwich.

Honestly couldn't taste it at all. Let's see how it hits...

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

klapman posted:

Looking for a cheap vape rig, is there anything good out there?

Dynavap M, any of the Arizer series, and Healthy Rips Fury 2/Fury Edge are all really good vapes on a budget for portables. For desktop, either the e-nano or the arizer extreme Q.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

All of those ones above also allow for low to mid temp vaping if you're having lung issues. I really hate those vapes that have 392 F as the lowest.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Probably gonna go with the DynaVap. If I don't have any other vape stuff, do I need the whole starter pack or just the 80$ one? https://www.dynavap.com/dynashop/vaporizers/the-m/the-m-starter-pack-2019/

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

klapman posted:

Probably gonna go with the DynaVap. If I don't have any other vape stuff, do I need the whole starter pack or just the 80$ one? https://www.dynavap.com/dynashop/vaporizers/the-m/the-m-starter-pack-2019/

You'll at least need a solid torch along with the DynaVap itself. I use something like this. The kits they sell contain a good amount of useful accessories and replacement parts, but not everything there is strictly necessary.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Zipperelli. posted:

Just ate about 1.5 g of ABV in a peanut butter & nutella sandwich.

Honestly couldn't taste it at all. Let's see how it hits...

RemindMe! 3 days

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I love my solo2. As far as cleaning it's a weekly thing - I have 4 stems and cycle through them, then Sunday is clean glass day. Couple q-tips, some 91% alcohol, swab out the Chambers and give them a shake with some alcohol in 'em, good as new.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Modern Leper posted:

RemindMe! 3 days

Kinda disappointing tbh.

Had an empty stomach and had to eat 2g before I felt anything, and 3.5 to really fly like I wanted to.

I guess I can't really complain because it's another high off weed that's been used once, but I guess my tolerance needs a break because its through the roof.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the issue of eating abv comes up about every 20 pgs of this thread and most people agree eating abv isn't worth it. all the good stuff is vaped out except some thc and cbn. i just throw it out like ashes causing eating or smoking it tastes nasty and extracting it yields an extremely undesirable product. basically roach flavored wax. it's nasty. my advice to anyone using abv is that there's weed everywhere these days just go buy some fresh flowers and smoke it. using abv makes sense when there's scarcity, but that's not the case at least in the US.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Tipps posted:

I love my splinter

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Hell Yeah posted:

the issue of eating abv comes up about every 20 pgs of this thread and most people agree eating abv isn't worth it. all the good stuff is vaped out except some thc and cbn. i just throw it out like ashes causing eating or smoking it tastes nasty and extracting it yields an extremely undesirable product. basically roach flavored wax. it's nasty. my advice to anyone using abv is that there's weed everywhere these days just go buy some fresh flowers and smoke it. using abv makes sense when there's scarcity, but that's not the case at least in the US.

Respectfully disagree. If you're blasting it at 420 F then yeah its all gone, but I still find that mid-level vaping it still leaves a lot of material left. I had four abv pills about 5 hours ago and I'm wrecked atm.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

thcv doesn't cook off till 429

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

poverty goat posted:

thcv doesn't cook off till 429

It's pretty loving well black at that point, goat man.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Entorwellian posted:

It's pretty loving well black at that point, goat man.

and thus it mostly ends up in the ABV

Hell Yeah posted:

you'll never convince me that all of these free brownies weren't worth the hassle of dumping my vaped weed into a jar instead of throwing it away for a while. the water soak actually removed 110% of the garbage flavor and they taste better than most regular weed brownies.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 5, 2020

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

poverty goat posted:

and thus it mostly ends up in the ABV

you'll never convince me that all of these free brownies weren't worth the hassle of dumping my vaped weed into a jar instead of throwing it away for a while. the water soak actually removed 110% of the garbage flavor and they taste better than most regular weed brownies.

Agreed.

Keep your ABV, folks.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

thats why i said most ppl obv there's a few people that love eating terpless roach flavor weed.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So what is water curing, or soaking? I thought thc was fat soluble and water would just wash it away while alcohol destroys the thc molecules? I am very interested in making insanely strong weed brownies.

I simmered my extreme q glass in milk and got wrecked a few months ago. I’m ready for the next step.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I've always had really poor results with ABV cooking, it just makes me tired without feeling very high but my tolerance for edibles seems to be massive.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I've always had really poor results with ABV cooking, it just makes me tired without feeling very high but my tolerance for edibles seems to be massive.

I stopped eating ABV and have never looked back. Even when it works the high sucks.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

red19fire posted:

So what is water curing, or soaking? I thought thc was fat soluble and water would just wash it away while alcohol destroys the thc molecules? I am very interested in making insanely strong weed brownies.

I simmered my extreme q glass in milk and got wrecked a few months ago. I’m ready for the next step.

Water won't wash out the cannabinoids from the trichromes but it will wash out the flavour and smell pretty good. Maybe not the best thing for regular weed but for abv its a good idea.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Agrinja posted:

I stopped eating ABV and have never looked back. Even when it works the high sucks.

it depends on how dark you vape it the first time around

Entorwellian posted:

Water won't wash out the cannabinoids from the trichromes but it will wash out the flavour and smell pretty good. Maybe not the best thing for regular weed but for abv its a good idea.

if you ever wind up with a bunch of hydro weed from your buddy that isn't flushed properly and smokes like fertilizer a water cure is a good trick to have in your back pocket

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 5, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Entorwellian posted:

How do you drain the water without removing any trichomes?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Yeah, I vape super dark so ymmv.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

piratepilates posted:

How do you drain the water without removing any trichomes?

THC and resin don't dissolve in water. It has something to do with osmosis process.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Starting to realize I bought way too much flower way too close together. Most of it is so loving dry at this point. Even the containers that aren't open are gonna be pretty drat dry.

PainterofCrap posted:

Just applied for a card in New Jersey a couple weeks ago. For a 1-year scrip, between the initial doctor's visit & filling out/sending of forms to the state, and paying the state ~$100 once they clear the paperwork & send the card, it's a bit under $400.

That's before hitting the dispensary.

Read up on it, and NJ has passed legislation that prevents employers from sanctioning if I fail a drug test for weed. There is a carve-out in the law for employers whose business may be inversely impacted by potential loss of federal contracts...but my employer does no such work.

I haven't been able to partake since 2004 (job with random drug testing). Stoked.

I have to say, it was wild discussing with the doctor how to medicate myself with weed, covering the relative merits of flower, vape, and edibles. I shied away from edibles due to the repeated anecdotes of friends & family being laid low. He suggested giving them a try, especially right before bed - and made a point of saying that the most common mistake when taking edibles is not waiting long enough for the effects to ramp up & kick in. His advice: "Start small."

I had discussed this with my primary doctor five years ago, when he was giving a scrip for anti-anxiety meds, and we both agreed that smoking weed would be a better treatment in every respect, and we both wondered if the day would ever come.

We live in an age of miracle & wonder.

Congratulations friend! I'm happy for you. Remember that weed isn't some miracle drug or something you should take all the time. Especially for anxiety, there are times and methods when it will help and others when it will harm, in my experience. See what works best for you because everyone is different

poverty goat posted:

I'll never forget when my dumbass buddy got sold ABV by a homeless guy, it was perfectly vaped so still completely the right shape but it was utterly, completely brown. The second I saw it I just started laughing and called him a loving idiot but they still smoked like two blunts of it trying to prove that they didn't get ripped off.

On that same topic, there are these crazy leaves in Hawaii that you can take and roll up into balls and they look exactly like weed, they even have fine little hairs that look a lot like crystals. My brother got skunked on an eighth that way, lmao

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Play posted:

Starting to realize I bought way too much flower way too close together. Most of it is so loving dry at this point. Even the containers that aren't open are gonna be pretty drat dry.

I got this tip form this very thread! Put your weed in a mason jar. Then take a strip of paper towel and get it damp. When you screw the lid on, make sure that strip of paper towel is held in place by the cap, not touching the weed. Your flowers will soak up that moisture and won't be so dry.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this can lead to mold so watch out and don't over-do it though. would be fine if you do it shortly before smoking it. traditionally i think a piece of orange rind in the jar was used for this

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Orange rind or apple slice are what I've always heard. I've never cared enough to try to rehydrate my weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you have to do it you should get a boveda pack. they're designed to maintain specific humidity for cigars. fruit and paper towels and poo poo risk mold, and so does a boveda too probably, so imo you should just learn from your error and store it better next time. buying a lot of flower at a time is fine, but keep the bulk of it in a glass jar and smoke out of a smaller container that you refill as needed so you're not constantly letting humidity out of the main stash. it will actually cure up and improve over time this way, since most commercial bud is rushed out the door with minimal curing

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 5, 2020