Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Didn't Nintendo own the rights to W101? I'm assuming they sold the IP rights back to Platinum for a pittance and a guaranteed Switch port because the Wii U game was such a bomb. God Hand was a similar bomb for Capcom, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Camera does indeed seem fine in The Surge 2. Now, stability on the other hand... 3 crashes in the last couple hours. I'd gotten used to how rock-solid - and not-choppy - Sekiro is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A good poster posted:

Didn't Nintendo own the rights to W101? I'm assuming they sold the IP rights back to Platinum for a pittance and a guaranteed Switch port because the Wii U game was such a bomb.

Doesn't sound like it was quite a pittance as Nintendo was going to completely fund a Switch port if the game stayed 100% Nintendo exclusive but Platinum turned them down on it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 4, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
XCOM question: Why is my ranger incapable of slicing a flamethrower dude without blowing him up. How hard is it to not cut a giant gas tank?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PantsBandit posted:

XCOM question: Why is my ranger incapable of slicing a flamethrower dude without blowing him up. How hard is it to not cut a giant gas tank?

:xcom:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A good poster posted:

Didn't Nintendo own the rights to W101? I'm assuming they sold the IP rights back to Platinum for a pittance and a guaranteed Switch port because the Wii U game was such a bomb. God Hand was a similar bomb for Capcom, right?

Apparently Platinum just asked Nintendo and they said "sure".

quote:

Can you elaborate on the status of the IP? Does Platinum now own it?

Inaba: Unfortunately, we cannot comment on this matter at this time.

It seems surprising that Nintendo has allowed the game to appear on other platforms. Why is that?

Kamiya: We don’t really know! (Laughs) They were really nice about it.

Inaba: Platinum has a really good relationship with Nintendo. We’ve been with Nintendo from the very beginning and we’ve released a lot of games with them, including Astral Chain which recently released and was a big success. So I think it’s largely thanks to our relationship with Nintendo that they kind of decided to give us a break. I think it’s our history that it’s largely attributed to. We were quite surprised ourselves. This is usually not something that is allowed in the games industry. We see it as a very unique opportunity that Nintendo has given us and we’re pleased to have it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

Camera does indeed seem fine in The Surge 2. Now, stability on the other hand... 3 crashes in the last couple hours. I'd gotten used to how rock-solid - and not-choppy - Sekiro is.

Weird, I think I may have had a grand total of 1 crash the entire 25+ hrs. What CPU/GPU do you have? i was perfect on a Intel 6700k/1080 TI, but poo poo varies so much. Force Steam to Verify Files? Video drivers up to date? Any overclocking?

Someone reported turning off Texture Streaming option fixed it if it persists.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 4, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

same video card and slightly weaker processor

it just crashed again even taking the litany of internet advice anyway, and I don't have the patience for janitoring this stuff anymore tbh. Too bad, seemed promising

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 4, 2020

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
So Dragonball Z kakarot has a broken achievement. In fact it's so broken you can get the "Obtain all achievements" achievement without getting it :psyduck:. After beating the game I still say that unless your a big Dragonball Z fan either don't buy it or just wait for a deep discount. It's pretty mediocre game play wise and some enemies were just a pain to fight.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The alternative :tinfoil: explanation is that the extra goals pay the cost nintendo asked. :v:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Sonel posted:

So Dragonball Z kakarot has a broken achievement. In fact it's so broken you can get the "Obtain all achievements" achievement without getting it :psyduck:. After beating the game I still say that unless your a big Dragonball Z fan either don't buy it or just wait for a deep discount. It's pretty mediocre game play wise and some enemies were just a pain to fight.

How much of the story does the game cover?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nuramor posted:

How much of the story does the game cover?

All of Z, from Raditz to Buu. Though the adapted story is cut down in spots and then padded out with original content weirdly. I've heard the Android/Cell saga is missing some iconic moments, but I've only gotten as far as the intermission after Freeza.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm imagining someone playing a DBZ game who isn't a fan of the show and has no idea what is happening and its good.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Why would someone who isn't a fan of the show play the game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fun Times! posted:

Gotta punch mans

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fun Times! posted:

They may have became a fan of dragonball z through the most enjoyable piece of DBZ media - dbz fightersZ

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Despite my gripes with the game, I just really enjoy the world design in Dark Souls 3 and being able to look at the places you'll end up going or have already went.

It's a good feeling that provides that sense of place and progression.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kakarot is definitely a bummer. I'm a sucker for even the most menial DBZ filler plots, so I would love a game that is slavish in re-telling all that stuff.

That is, assuming the gameplay is at least mildly entertaining.

Stop letting Cyberconnect develop games! They aren't good at it!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Xenoverse 2 was fairly enjoyable to me, so if you just want DBZ stuff, that kind of quasi-RPG might be up your alley if you haven't played it yet.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I played the first Xenoverse but not the second. Original VG stories are always asssssss when it comes to DBZ, is there a lot of that in 2?

I want, like, Goku fighting demonic physical trainers in HFIL. Give me the good stuff.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I just want original dragon ball to get some love.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Where's my Goku and Piccolo kart racer?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

PantsBandit posted:

I played the first Xenoverse but not the second. Original VG stories are always asssssss when it comes to DBZ, is there a lot of that in 2?

I want, like, Goku fighting demonic physical trainers in HFIL. Give me the good stuff.
The plot is fairly ignorable, mostly. You're a time cop and your job is to jump in and intervene in various iconic battles throughout the series, make sure the timeline is preserved or whatever. You level up and get better blow-people-up abilities over the course of doing that. I didn't notice much of a plot besides that, but you get to see all those iconic setpieces and all those familiar characters and then beat their faces in. Sounds like it should be your kind of thing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It would be dope to get a dragon ball game but there's just no market reason for it unfortunately. Z (and Super, which is basically just Z+) is still loving massive in Japan. I still remember walking through a Don Quixote in Tokyo and they literally had giant Vegeta's displaying clothes instead of mannequins. People just wouldn't buy a game without Frieza/Cell/Vegeta.

Come to think of it, while Dragon Ball had some great storylines it didn't really have much staying power for characters. Most of the OGs have been relegated to buddy status. At least Krillin got to do a thing or two in Super.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There was a surprisingly good beat'em up on the GBA, Advanced Adventure

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea

4. A Robot Named Fight

In general, I’ve come around to the idea that roguelike metroidvanias are not a good idea. Dead Cells made it work by being extremely light on the metroidvania, and distracting everyone with incredible gameplay. Other attempts I’ve played like Chasm illustrate just how important carefully-designed levels and progression are, because tedious backtracking is always waiting in the wings to kill a platformer. A Robot Named Fight doesn’t really get around this, but has its own distractions in a mess of fun powerups and a tight runtime to make up for the levels.

The Megabeast is a moon-sized orb of ravenous flesh, and it has come to devour a planet of peace-loving robots. Rather than succumb to their Junji-Ito-esque fate, one robot has elected to fight. Through the ruins of their once-noble city they must hunt, seeking out artifacts of great and terrible power, while dispatching the vile castoffs of the Megabeast. New powers for their weapon, upgrades for their body, and even new allies will all open up paths that run deeper and deeper beneath the city. In these ancient caverns they may find the power to resist their planet’s doom, but also the truth behind its sudden onslaught.

Your task from the onset is simple: defeat the Megabeast. That’s easier said than done with your dinky pea-shooter, though. In true metroidvania fashion you must scour the map for upgrades to make you a godlike, god-killing machine, as well as the upgrades that’ll get you into the places you need to go. It’s also worth mentioning at this point that A Robot Named Fight controls exactly like Super Metroid. This isn’t even homage, this is a carbon copy right down to the tricky wall jumps and top buttons for diagonal aiming. It’s not even a bad thing, considering how long ago Super Metroid was and how many other metroidvanias have gone their own way, but it’s something to be aware of.

A Robot Named Fight is not a big game, clocking in at around an hour for a 100% completion run. But that’s where the roguelike elements figure in. Each attempt randomizes the map, enemies, loot, and even powerup progression, pulling from a frankly massive pool of possibilities. For one run you might need a flamethrower to reach the double-jump so you can get spider mode, and in the next it could be the dash power unlocking the light armor so you can find the missiles. There’s even variety among similar powers, allowing runs to include high jumps, double jumps, float jumps, or infinite jumps which all accomplish roughly the same ends. One time all my powers ended up being status effects on my main weapon, so instead of finding missiles or flamethrowers I had burning, explosive shots all the time.

The overall progression of a run is pretty constant at first, leading you through the same general areas but with different powers. Finding certain areas or notching a win unlocks new regions you can progress through, with their own enemies and access powers. There are secrets sprinkled throughout too, all passive upgrades to your stats, and all marked roughly on your map so you don’t have to spend ages scouring for completion. What’ll end up taking the most time is backtracking, because metroidvania map generation still seems to be a sticking point for roguelikes. Odd placement of locked doors or twisting corridors can waste your time while exploring, backtracking is guaranteed because of random powerup placement, and the fast travel nodes are borderline useless for all of the above.

Honestly though, A Robot Named Fight has enough going for it to overlook the weaknesses of the map. The controls are tight, the action is engaging, and the absurd number of variations and unlocks you can get really extend the life of the experience. Story-wise it doesn’t seem like you really beat the game until several runs into it, and there are even some neat twists to discover in the environments. The pixel art presentation is very solid, though a lot of the detail is tied up in the grotesque, bloody depictions of the Megabeast’s kin. There aren’t many options for what’s essentially a Super Metroid randomizer though, so if you’re cool with the map and the gore, you’re getting a unique, satisfying experience here.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Fanatical Hidden Gems 8 bundle is up and has some pretty interesting stuff for the $2.49 price tag: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/hidden-gems-8-bundle

The Hex, Double Cross, and In Celebration of Violence would be a good enough deal on their own, with my usual caveat of "I love ICoV but it definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQCpJ6eOBpo
Really don't understand the point of a gritty, realistic King's Bounty. The part of that video where they show footage from Legend looks so much more lively.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Where's my Goku and Piccolo kart racer?

There is a driving minigame in Kakarot. :ssh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Really don't understand the point of a gritty, realistic King's Bounty. The part of that video where they show footage from Legend looks so much more lively.

I loved Legend to death and then five games later I was very, very done with the entire concept. I agree that this is maybe not the best way to take the series but I'm at least willing to give them some rope.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mordja posted:

How about this revolutionary concept:
King's Bounty, but I can always clearly tell where I can go, and every single animation can be completely disabled.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mordja posted:

Really don't understand the point of a gritty, realistic King's Bounty.

Game of Thrones was popular? The Witcher is popular? :shrug:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

How about this revolutionary concept:
King's Bounty, but I can always clearly tell where I can go, and every single animation can be completely disabled.
Not having to pixelhunt to progress would cut the gameplay length by half.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't really like the recent King's Bounty's a lot, they were just way too much into the whole "I'm funny and genre-savvy" without actually being all that funny. Maybe they'll do better trying to play it straight, because I do enjoy the concept of a HoMM-style game without the strategy layer.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

God Hand remaster? Do they have rights for that one?

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, Capcom owns that (and it was before Platinum was formed).

A good poster posted:

Godhand, Okami etc were done as a subset of Capcom they really have no rights. That said they apparently have mended bridges with Capcom (Platinum spun off a subcompany to help with REmake 2) so like. Them working out a deal to handle remasters/sequels for Capcom is much more likely than it was a couple of years ago.

I wouldnt bet on it, but if Viewtfiul Joe or Godhand show up I wouldn't be absolutely shocked.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mordja posted:

I hope there's... More to the visual and character design, because this looks like some groggy kingdom come deliverance garbage where you must play as a bland white dude surrounded by bland white dudes and tradwives because anything else would be immersion breaking.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 4, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I liked the one where you had a cute little pet dragon that could cast spells on the battlefield for you.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone tried Rebel Inc? Plague Inc was dumb-but-fun, but a lot of videos of gameplay seem to focus on active clicky RTS stuff, and given the subject matter I'm leery of hamfisted political stuff saturating the experience.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

Has anyone tried Rebel Inc? Plague Inc was dumb-but-fun, but a lot of videos of gameplay seem to focus on active clicky RTS stuff, and given the subject matter I'm leery of hamfisted political stuff saturating the experience.

I played the phone version and it was fun for a couple hours. Not as addictive as plague inc but not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I played the phone version and it was fun for a couple hours. Not as addictive as plague inc but not bad.

Hmkay, thanks! That's about what I was worried about... guess I'll wait and see if they re-find Plague's groove when they exit EA. ^^