Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jeez it almost seems like a moot point. how popular can an 8 year old multiplayer game be that isn't an mmo or something like dota/fortnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Isn't PSO kind of an mmo? Like a proto destiny type thing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MMF Freeway posted:

Destiny is almost exactly PSO but with Halo's pvp tacked on

Even the plot's about there

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Yeah PSO has always been marketed as an MMO, even if it had barely any of the features you'd expect from one. Apparantly PSO2 is more MMOish but I havn't played it myself so I can't say for sure.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
when it gets the western launch are we getting the feature that let's you add as many boobs to your character as you want

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

more of third person diablo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

a glitch posted:

So the five or so PSO fans left in Europe may be pleased to know this:

https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1222967403895611392

:unsmith:

There won't be any EU servers though, so this doesn't really mean much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

a glitch posted:

Yeah PSO has always been marketed as an MMO, even if it had barely any of the features you'd expect from one. Apparantly PSO2 is more MMOish but I havn't played it myself so I can't say for sure.

It's really not an MMO at all. The Destiny social features comparison is more accurate. You have a social hub that you log into and you'll come across other players running around. Otherwise when you do quests, you are spawning your own private instance and you can invite like 3 other players to join you. The game though has no open world design of any kind. You're just traveling to small dungeons.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

in other words, like an mmo

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
pso is a slow diablo, destiny is a first person pso, remnant from the ashes is a soulsy third person pso, diablo is a fast roguelike

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

homeless snail posted:

in other words, like an mmo

see i don't consider games that only have 3 or 4 people per lobby candidates in the mmo genre, but also i haven't touched an actual mmo in a dog's age and it sounds like most of them operate in groups of 3 to 4 people at a time these days too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's not an mmo, that's a sleepover at your friend's place to play mario kart 64

May 8, 2006

in that comparison your friend's house is the lobby and real life is the mmo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so is left 4 dead an mmo

May 8, 2006

honestly any game i am playing includes a massive multiplayer

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

in that comparison your friend's house is the lobby and real life is the mmo

what's your mom in this metaphor

May 8, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

what's your mom in this metaphor

is the funniest answer 'login server'

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sorry, we were looking for "region locked in a different country for the past 8 years"

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

It's really not an MMO at all. The Destiny social features comparison is more accurate. You have a social hub that you log into and you'll come across other players running around. Otherwise when you do quests, you are spawning your own private instance and you can invite like 3 other players to join you. The game though has no open world design of any kind. You're just traveling to small dungeons.

Are you talking about 1 or 2? If the former then I agree it wasn't an MMO, but this didn't stop Sega marketing it as one. I guess 'shared world' would be a better term nowadays?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh my perspective is based entirely on the original phantasy star online, i assumed phantasy star online 2 would be basically the same

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

structurally similar, mechanically totally different game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

would monster hunter world be considered an mmo? it's essentially identical to phantasy star online 1

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Have Capcom ever called Monster Hunter an MMO? I think a company saying their game is an MMO has a big effect on weather people consider it to be an MMO.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is diablo an MMO?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

WaltherFeng posted:

"The man who delivers" are the words I'll never hear from my wife.

Sometimes I think about how everyone in Half-Life 2 calls you "The One Free Man"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sometimes I think about how everyone in Half-Life 2 calls you "The One Free Man"

the opener of the way

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

would monster hunter world be considered an mmo? it's essentially identical to phantasy star online 1

Considering you can (and I do) play it 100% solo I don't think so

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello

This is a dumb thing but I want to show a thing that makes me chuckle a little.

In the House of the Dead series, the 3rd game had a secret antagonist introduced in one of the ending. This antagonist showed up again in another ending of House of the Dead 4 and its gimmicky followup 4 Special, and then the 5th House of the Dead game came out and he was the main antagonist and they finally gave him a name.

So in 3, he looked like this.

In 4, he looked like this.

In Scarlet Dawn/5, he looked like this.

The funny thing to me though is that 4 and 5 are prequels to 3. 3 takes place at the end of the House of the Dead timeline with the world already having been hosed over and humanity fighting back a losing battle after both the Curien Manor incident, both Venice* incidents, the Scarecrow Manor incident, and some stuff hints that some of this biological weapon/genetic mutation/zombie poo poo was being studied and experimented with as far back as the late 1800s, not to mention the theories about how Overkill factors into it since Overkill left some openings with Papa Caesar saying that Clement had powerful friends in the mutant/zombie/BOW crowd and there's nothing stopping them from just slotting Curien, Goldman, or Thornheart in there later (or someone else entirely to try and tie all this poo poo together).

Long story short, I posted all these words and pics just to say "lol the character introduced in the 3rd game got older in more recent entries even though the more recent entries take place before the 3rd game"

*turns out it is not confirmed as Venice but it is basically Venice

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Is diablo an MMO?

Yeah I mean it's got two kids

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Unfortunately I've never played past like stage 2 of a house of the dead because I never wanted to waste all my money on continues

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

no, but world gets closer

pso at least has the ship

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Unfortunately I've never played past like stage 2 of a house of the dead because I never wanted to waste all my money on continues

Thankfully there are numerous ways to experience the game without having to worry about it. I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of 1 somewhere down the line but there are PC versions of most of the games or PC typing versions at least for some. Only one I'm not sure about is 4 and 4 Special, the latter especially since idk how much of the arcade cabinet gimmick is coded into the game itself. 4 Special's gimmick was that you sat in a rotating chair that would switch from one part of the cabinet to another so you'd get the experience of being surrounded by zombies.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Rinkles posted:

i do wonder if they're some unwritten (or written) agreement between atlus and sony to keep the newer mainline games off competing systems.
I'd wager that's it written and money traded hands to make it written, in the case of Persona 5 at least. Persona 5 was popular enough that Atlus/Sega must realize they could make a decent buck by bringing it to other platforms, and it would be very uncharacteristic of the times we live in for them to leave that kind of money on the table because of some old gentleman's agreement.

Stux posted:

anyway whether its an agreement or just internal, playstation gets persona and nintendo gets mainline
I'd have less of a problem with this if Sony had a got dang handheld to put their exclusives on. Like a dumbass, I would buy a lovely Vita 2 to have P5 or Persona remasters on a handheld. I don't give a poo poo whose corporate banner it's under, just stop stranding long-rear end JRPGs on a box that lives under my TV.

May 8, 2006

my guess based on no evidence whatsoever is that the panoply of jrpgs that haven't made it to steam or any modern platform is because it's incredible difficult to push the entrenched old men at the top of companies into doing it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why don't more games let you play as both players so you can shoot two guns at once

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember reading a guide on gamefaqs for one of the house of the dead games and the guide had a section for how to properly hold the gun and it kept referring to screenshots from metal gear solid and saying that you should study how Snake holds his gun and hold it the same way. It also brought up the usefulness of keeping a finger near the end of the gun so that instead of shooting off screen to reload you could just shoot your fingertip to reload.

High level arcade play is cool, whether it's people showing off or just people playing really well. You've got people who will play with both guns in a rail shooter, play as 2 characters in a sidescrolling shooter/beat em up, people rocking out at the taiko drum cabinet, and then you've got people who are just really loving good at achieving high scores on pinball tables or in game cabinets like pac-man or the people who are pretty much unbeatable on a versus fighter cabinet setup.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Maybe if they would spawn players in the multiplayer hub instead of the singleplayer one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

a glitch posted:

Are you talking about 1 or 2? If the former then I agree it wasn't an MMO, but this didn't stop Sega marketing it as one. I guess 'shared world' would be a better term nowadays?

Only one tiny section of the game is shared though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

I'd have less of a problem with this if Sony had a got dang handheld to put their exclusives on. Like a dumbass, I would buy a lovely Vita 2 to have P5 or Persona remasters on a handheld. I don't give a poo poo whose corporate banner it's under, just stop stranding long-rear end JRPGs on a box that lives under my TV.

same but not the same actually the exact opposite please put the very long jrpgs on home console stop putting games that last 100 hours on handhelds especially when nintendos ones are often hateful to hold (switch lite is way better than older ones, still not super comfy for extended periods)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

imagine if smt 4 hadnt had the worst 2d art in the series history because they couldve just made it a normal game in the ps4 engine. wow. groundbreaking! anyway cant wait for smt5 to take 100 years because they have to make something work on the switch now instead of using the good engine they already made.