Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do you mean Jake? Because :wtc:

Jake owns. He and Nog are great characters because the DS9 writers actually understood how to write for kids and anchor those characters and make them relatable with their family relationships, instead of just declaring them genius prodigies who knew better than the rest of the main cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

New "leak" from a clickbait site alleges the following details for future Trek series:

-The return of Sisko for S2 of Picard, in a story that focuses on the Q Continuum and includes Janeway and Guinan. If Avery Brooks doesn't return as Sisko, they'll "get someone else to play him" (like Cirroc Lofton)
-S4 of Discovery will be about the Dominion
-Section 31 will be about the Gorn and Orions
-They are making a CW-style young adult drama called "Starfleet Academy."

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020...jsiP3MFPwV-fH24

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

New "leak" from a clickbait site alleges the following details for future Trek series:

-The return of Sisko for S2 of Picard, in a story that focuses on the Q Continuum and includes Janeway and Guinan. If Avery Brooks doesn't return as Sisko, they'll "get someone else to play him" (like Cirroc Lofton)

Uhhhh considering Discovery gets sent to like the year 3200, I’m not sure why the Dominion would come up

I think i have heard the Starfleet Academy reports before.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Please. Except the recast thing. Only if Avery Brooks returns.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I’m getting very large bullshit vibes from all of this, but a Q-El Aurian-Prophets story at least makes some sense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I wouldn't go trusting anything this site has to be saying. It's the site all the Angry YouTube Entertainment Conspiracy circlejerk folks cite for their STAR TREK DOOMED! rants and by just a quick non-Trek browse of it, a lot of its articles seem to have a major bugaboo up their rear end about women in sci-fi/comic book media for something reason :thunk:

It's probably nothing, right?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 4, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't believe a word of that horseshit and neither should you guys

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also digging their content bar at the top of the site: Movie, Television, Celebrities, Comics, Anime, :qq:CENSORSHIP:qq:

With the third story in said CENSORSHIP tag crying about how a literal Nazi got his YouTube account demonetized for being a loving Nazi. :yikes:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I believe every word and am committing my entire sense of self and hopes for future happiness on this being 100% true

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

I don't believe a word of that horseshit and neither should you guys

I knew it was fake when it implied they already have a plan for Disco s4 :smuggo:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Uhhhh considering Discovery gets sent to like the year 3200, I’m not sure why the Dominion would come up

Does it make any less sense than, say, the Trill or Klingons?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

davidspackage posted:

I knew it was fake when it implied they already have a plan for Disco s4 :smuggo:

To be fair, Disco was already renewed for season 4 (the rest is still bs)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I can't imagine Brooks ever coming back to the role - he doesn't care about Trek one bit and he's acting in DC theater right now.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i also would be very surprised if avery brooks deigned to make an appearance, but i'd be curious to see what insane inflection he'd add to sisko's speech pattern for no reason after all these years

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

davidspackage posted:

Uh oh. Have the writers themselves been written, by the Battlestar Galactica writers?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Exploring the Dominion 800 years on would be an interesting idea, and I doubt the cost overhead would be that great - you could doubtless do Founder SFX for peanuts now.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i declare myself for pro-jake faction

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I bet Brooks would come back if they threw a dumptruck or ten of cash his way but it doesn't matter because it's not real

it's a faaaaake

so much nerd poo poo online is either nazis or nazi adjacent I don't trust any rumour anymore until I see pictures or footage

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The return of Sisko for S2 of Picard

Season 2 has no stakes. Just an old man struggling to make peace with his looming dementia which will lead to a total loss of self, a smaller death before the final one. He searches the galaxy for answers, trying to find meaning while he can still recognize it.

Picard: (visibly emotional) What happens when you die?
Sisko: Tell me! (giggles and plays a piano riff)

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Anything is possible when you lie.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Wheezle posted:

Anything is possible when you lie.

What I want to know is out of all the stories they've told us, which ones were true and which ones weren't?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mvuHDqM.mp4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What I want to know is out of all the stories they've told us, which ones were true and which ones weren't?

Mostly the "Discovery/Picard to be cancelled" and "Alex Kurtzman to be fired by CBS" ones are perpetually bullshit. The most recent garbage story is "Seth McFarland is trying to buy the entire Star Trek franchise from CBS to save it from Alex Kurtzman", which is hilariously bonkers bullshit.

Also someone on 4chan apparently leaked a bunch of big plot points for Picard using bits from the already screened to critics but not yet released to the public first three episodes to bolster their credibility. Lot of freaking out over a certain new character being trans and that a certain TNG character is revealed to be dead in the later episodes. People losing their minds over a whole lot of nothing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

and that a certain TNG character is revealed to be dead in the later episodes. People losing their minds over a whole lot of nothing.

Out of curiosity, who? Crusher? She’s the only one not already namedropped or showing up this season. Or is it someone minor?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Out of curiosity, who? Crusher? She’s the only one not already namedropped or showing up this season. Or is it someone minor?

Yes, it's supposedly Crusher.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

I love what happens to people that appear on this gif.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

nine-gear crow posted:

Mostly the "Discovery/Picard to be cancelled" and "Alex Kurtzman to be fired by CBS" ones are perpetually bullshit. The most recent garbage story is "Seth McFarland is trying to buy the entire Star Trek franchise from CBS to save it from Alex Kurtzman", which is hilariously bonkers bullshit.

Didn't get my reference, 0/10 :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fuckin :rip:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Bashir!

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8j6z8fQ_c

I hope Picard can eventually let us know what's been going on to other characters we know over the past 20 or so years.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

I wouldn't go trusting anything this site has to be saying. It's the site all the Angry YouTube Entertainment Conspiracy circlejerk folks cite for their STAR TREK DOOMED! rants and by just a quick non-Trek browse of it, a lot of its articles seem to have a major bugaboo up their rear end about women in sci-fi/comic book media for something reason :thunk:

It's probably nothing, right?

"Angry YouTube Entertainment Conspiracy" apparently is rather happy in being referred to as "fandom menace" which is super weird, because I thought that was a name meant to insult them, but no, its apparently a home grown "this is us" fake identity like Kekistan or Gamergate.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

The most recent garbage story is "Seth McFarland is trying to buy the entire Star Trek franchise from CBS to save it from Alex Kurtzman", which is hilariously bonkers bullshit.

He's got a personal fortune of 200 million and just signed a deal for another 200 million to make some tv shows for NBC's upcoming streaming service. Even if he had just...400 million in Cold Hard Cash lying around, I doubt CBS would sell for that little. I don't think CBS would try to get Star Wars money, but I don't see them letting go of Trek for less than 2.5 billion, honestly.

And that's if they'd sell at all, lots of studios won't sell IPs that they see zero value in because nobody wants to be the guy that sold, I dunno, Babylon 5, walked away from the deal with half a billion bucks and then they make a movie or whatever and it does a billion at the BO.

Edit: and despite what the fashy dipshits are saying, Star Trek IS making money, because I know enough people in this business and they all tell me that nobody would ever keep an unsuccessful show going to dab on the toxic white males or whatever.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I can tell you that the Starfleet Academy show is definitely a thing. The rest is most likely made up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duckula posted:

I can tell you that the Starfleet Academy show is definitely a thing.

Does your uncle work at Nintendo

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Duckula posted:

I can tell you that the Starfleet Academy show is definitely a thing. The rest is most likely made up.

Guinan's coming back because Patrick Stewart invited Whoopi Goldberg to appear in season 2 live on her show and she said yes.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

If anything, I'll bet that they tie in the origin of the Daht Vahj (do we have a proper spelling for that yet?) and/or the origin of the Borg in with the ancient alien race that created Ruk the android in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" from TOS: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/What_Are_Little_Girls_Made_Of%3F_(episode)

Apparently Robert Bloch, the writer of that episode, also wrote Cthulu mythos stories, and reading a recap of Picard ep 2 reminds me that

EW.com posted:

According to Laris, the Zhat Vash’s sole purpose is to keep “a secret so profound and terrible, just learning it would break a person’s mind.”
Hard to get much more Lovecrafty than that! I haven't delved into his oeuvre to tell if he was onboard with Lovecraft's racism or just a fellow traveler of the more mediocre August Derleth stuff. The ending of the TOS episode certainly seems to exhibit the hilariously dated moral that, "hey, in the right situation, casual racism is OK!"

I'd lay even odds that they somehow combine that TOS reference with the Iconians, too, or perhaps further develop the precursor race from "The Chase."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

istewart posted:

If anything, I'll bet that they tie in the origin of the Daht Vahj (do we have a proper spelling for that yet?)

dat vag

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Truly a secret so vast and arcane it would break the minds of Trekkies!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I am really interested to see what they do with Season 2 of Picard, assuming that the current storyline is wrapped up this season.

edit: Until the Whoopi Season 2 invitation I half suspected it might only be a single season thing, and the talk of a season 2 renewal was to cover the fact Picard would die at the end. That invitation and her reaction seemed too authentic to be part of a misdirection though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

I am really interested to see what they do with Season 2 of Picard, assuming that the current storyline is wrapped up this season.

edit: Until the Whoopi Season 2 invitation I half suspected it might only be a single season thing, and the talk of a season 2 renewal was to cover the fact Picard would die at the end. That invitation and her reaction seemed too authentic to be part of a misdirection though.

Patrick Stewart and the showrunners have said that the plan for Picard was to tell a three season story, and they've said that for quite a while now.