Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

My dream daily is a 964 with a 13B turbo. gently caress Porsche purists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Good luck getting anything that isn’t flat into that engine bay.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
LS fits fine.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
LS 944s are the fuckin tits

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jymmybob posted:

LS 944s are the fuckin tits

Oh sure but you'll feel pretty stupid with your LS 944 when you find out that the Audi 5-cylinder bolts right the gently caress up.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I m sad I didn't buy an $8,000 LS powered 928. I felt no porsche person would be upset by it so it didn't seem as good.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone have any thoughts on tires for a Macan? 90% of my wife's driving is on the highway and she drives 30k miles/year or so. We just went with the all season OEM Pirelli Scorpions last time and they're up for replacement again. Looks like Conti DWS06s come in the right size?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Thinking of making a poor financial decision - how cheap do not-complete-basket-case 996 turbos (coupe/manual) get?

e: Guess I will see what a local/pretty clean one goes for at auction soon - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911-turbo-84/

e2: 3156 range 1 ignitions, 9 range 2 ignitions. lol. Barely driven.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 4, 2020

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gvibes posted:

Thinking of making a poor financial decision - how cheap do not-complete-basket-case 996 turbos (coupe/manual) get?

Man, I’m so onboard with this. For me though it’s still out of reach.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

e: Guess I will see what a local/pretty clean one goes for at auction soon - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911-turbo-84/

Man, you tell me. The 911 bug has been calling and I occasionally look at picking up either a 996/997 Turbo, then think twice when I look at the price the 997 manuals are holding at.

Then I look at G50 aircooled 911s.

Then I go back to configuring a new Cayman GTS.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

gvibes posted:

Even a basket case 996 manual turbo coupe is $30k+ these days, they’re a lovely value. There’s one that had a bunch of undisclosed issues that was listed on BaT maybe last year or the end of 2018? It didn’t end up selling, you should be able to find it as one of the lower closed auctions on BaT’s history graph for 996 Turbos.

It’s been 5+ years since the 996 Turbo was a decent-to-good value. Now most are well north of $40k which can buy you a brand new sports car under warranty that will run rings around a 996 and connect to your phone and all that jazz.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Harsh, but fair.

e: I have an E90 M3, I'm just getting car ADD.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

If I was going to spend $40k on a 911 today I’d be looking for a manual 964 coupe as there’s only so many of them and among other intrinsic things that come with an air cooled 911 like the classic gauges and styling, they’re what Singer starts their builds on, so there’s some intrinsic meta-value there too.

$.02

e: that’s the very bottom of their price range generally speaking and of course that will be a private seller, possibly even a basket case, but they’re out there if you’re patient. 964 cabs are way cheaper.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 4, 2020

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
They're not that bad of values now since they're basically running about even with inflation, it's just that they were dropping like stones until 2016ish. Even at the lowest priced cars then were in the lower 30s for a sorted high mileage one and 40-50 for sub-80k miles in good condition. They're sort of endearing with their small size, refined chassis, and brutal engine with lots of lag until the turbos spool and you just take off. I compared 997 C2S/C4S, Lotus Evoras, and 996TTs before settling on the 996 because I was only shopping 4 seaters that were as impractical as possible. GT350s and ZL1s were also in the running no one would allow test drives on new ones and depreciation is a bitch.

As a bonus you can just drop the FWD off with no effort since it's purely mechanical and have a car that truly wants you dead.

If you live somewhere nice, consider cabs since they're usually substantially less and still own if you're not tracking. I was in Ohio when I got mine and now that I live in Asheville NC, I do kind of wish I had a cab to really enjoy touring and the insane whooshing sound of the turbos right behind you.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

What you did 3 or 4 years ago sounds pretty rational, but the case for a 996 has gotten worse, not better, in the interim. “I must have a 911 Turbo for $45k or less” notwithstanding, cars available at the same price point have become even more aggressively good versus a nearly 20 year old 911 with arguably the least-great and dated interior in any water cooled 911 and maybe even versus air cooled interiors too.

The 996 is both significantly down on power as well as heavier than a 997 which will probably be ~$15k more. It’s the versus-other-cars part that’s the hardest bit to justify; those formerly $60k ZL1s and GT350s are now coincidentally ~$45k. As are C7 Z06s. Any of these cars absolutely murder a 996 in any competitive measurement even on modern tires.

Sure, they’re not Porsches, but they’re all great cars in their own right and any of them will be nicer to live with due to modern features and probably safer in a crash to boot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tremek posted:

arguably the least-great and dated interior in any water cooled 911 and maybe even versus air cooled interiors too.

It really is not a good interior, but at least the turbos are almost always the nicest trim of the era.

I was doing the 996 vs. 997 turbo exercise a few months ago and I can't really see the case for a 996 turbo at the market rates of that (not long ago) time unless you literally can't afford anything more.....in which case you shouldn't be buying a 20 year old turbo sports car.

E: I decided on "no" at the time either way, but hey....YMMV

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 5, 2020

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I feel the 996 has a better built interior than the 997 generation but the 997 has a much more aesthetically pleasing and better aging interior. I much prefer the 997+ but having the 996 interior up close it's well put together and looks quality, other than the center stack.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

the 996 interior up close it's well put together and looks quality, other than the center stack.

That's my real issue with it.

I'm dealing with a 955 interior in the Cayenne, which is basically the same thing. It's not BAD but it's not good. Under 50 degrees and I have leather squeaks in the dash, courtesy features are lacking in their function (things like seat memory and how it works), preference setting is buggy and randomly changes (I guarantee you that I did not change my door lock option to "only drivers door on single button press" but somehow that became a thing last week), MFD is kinda lame but workable (again with settings issues and lack of features/preferences that would have made a lot of sense for an extra couple weeks of software dev time), many button locations and function make no sense at all and are obvious afterthoughts (like how to adjust footwell lights).

Center stack is hot garbage. Climate controls make no sense. Why do I have a little cover over a panel with mostly non-fucntional buttons, and the functional ones are cryptic? At least the nav/radio is easy enough to change out.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's my real issue with it.

I'm dealing with a 955 interior in the Cayenne, which is basically the same thing. It's not BAD but it's not good. Under 50 degrees and I have leather squeaks in the dash, courtesy features are lacking in their function (things like seat memory and how it works), preference setting is buggy and randomly changes (I guarantee you that I did not change my door lock option to "only drivers door on single button press" but somehow that became a thing last week), MFD is kinda lame but workable (again with settings issues and lack of features/preferences that would have made a lot of sense for an extra couple weeks of software dev time), many button locations and function make no sense at all and are obvious afterthoughts (like how to adjust footwell lights).

Center stack is hot garbage. Climate controls make no sense. Why do I have a little cover over a panel with mostly non-fucntional buttons, and the functional ones are cryptic? At least the nav/radio is easy enough to change out.

Does your PiG have a second battery in the rear? All this sounds similar to low-battery induced issues... https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/970246-yes-virginia-there-is-a-second-battery.html

A bunch of stuff didn't work properly on my S65 when it got here and replacing the second battery made things right.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
After being in 996/986 era 911/Boxsters, the interior is definitely in that awkward 90s phase of being simultaneously too new looking as well as too old looking. Similarly, the 987 interior/infotainment/electronics aren't a ton better, and even the 981/991.1 era cars don't have Carplay.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tremek posted:

Does your PiG have a second battery in the rear? All this sounds similar to low-battery induced issues... https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/970246-yes-virginia-there-is-a-second-battery.html

No, I've got Bose, so there's a sub back there. Battery is under 2 years old.

Theses aren't constant problems. It's very random. I've set the preference back and probably won't see another weird fault for anything between 4 and 6 months, and then all of a sudden it will do something like chirping on lock or some other minor annoyance of a preference setting change.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Double check. Mine's got the Bose system and a sub in the back with the second battery under it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Double check. Mine's got the Bose system and a sub in the back with the second battery under it.

Seriously? I thought that was an either/or. Or at least no Bose + collapsable spare (which I also have). I've never pulled the sub. I'll do that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Out with the old, in with the new(ish)

CPO 2015 Diesel (Dealer pic)

They didn't want to take mine as a trade-in for a hitch so I threw it on Kijiji and within two hours it was sold :byewhore: and it ended up being a better deal than trading in would have been.

Apparently the secret to selling a cheap car is posting it on a Saturday morning.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Great choice :)
My only suggestion is to not let it sit for weeks at a time, otherwise the DEF will crystalize in the tank / lines and require replacement of the entire thing. btdt

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Bajaha posted:

Out with the old, in with the new(ish)

CPO 2015 Diesel (Dealer pic)

They didn't want to take mine as a trade-in for a hitch so I threw it on Kijiji and within two hours it was sold :byewhore: and it ended up being a better deal than trading in would have been.

Apparently the secret to selling a cheap car is posting it on a Saturday morning.

Are they still offering killer extended warranties on the diesels still? I had heard that somewhere and never could find a defenitive answer.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It'll definitely be getting used so hopefully crystallization won't be a concern.

Warrantied to 2023 as the factory warranty is extended to 6yr/unlimited and then cpo is 2yr/unlimited. Emissions warranty until 2025 although I'm not sure if it's unlimited km. This particular example is low km at 57k km. I'm hoping it'll be trouble free but if it does have anything it should be the dealers problem rather than mine.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bajaha posted:

It'll definitely be getting used so hopefully crystallization won't be a concern.

Warrantied to 2023 as the factory warranty is extended to 6yr/unlimited and then cpo is 2yr/unlimited. Emissions warranty until 2025 although I'm not sure if it's unlimited km. This particular example is low km at 57k km. I'm hoping it'll be trouble free but if it does have anything it should be the dealers problem rather than mine.

That's awesome. It seems like there are some deals to be had on VAG dieselgate cars. I've been tempted, especially with the unlimited mileage warranty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's awesome man! As someone who knows literally nothing about them, what is their performance like?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Initial impression is nice.

The diesel does not have an inspiring exhaust note but it doesn't sound agricultural, it's a little loud in the cold especially since it holds gears longer when cold. Shifting is buttery smooth, ride is comfortable but not floaty, it handles well for its size and it's definitely well isolated in terms of acoustics. It's a nice place to spend a committee and I'm really loving how the interior is laid out and the aesthetic. Factory Bose sound system is good but not mind blowing.

Now, it's not a sports car, but 400ft-lb of torque is punchy around town. It feels agile with acceleration, although it is funny to see a redline at 4.5k rpm, I'll get used to it. The physical needle sweep is identical but the numbers are just smaller. It's not exiting like a Turbo S would be but it's not boring.

Fuel economy is great from what I can see, 7l/100km highway and this morning was about 11 in the city with a 15 minute commute at -16°C. With a 100L tank this will go a while between fill ups.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I saw over 700mi on a tank a couple of times. Also, the throttle lag from a stop is weird unless you are in sport mode.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Follow up from like a month or so ago in regards to the Cayenne potentially having a rear battery that could be causing my loss of settings issues.

As I suspected, there is no way in hell you can have a rear battery along with the Bose sound system. This is the bottom of the subwoofer:

And....uhhh....now I know where that water was going when I had a leak in the back deck (since solved and entirely my fault for running a temporary antenna cable through it). I guess I'm gonna do some cleaning before I zip this up again.

On the loss of settings thing.........I threw my battery reconditioner on it and even though it's only a couple of years old......it's not looking great. I'll see what it says in the morning, but chances are good that either 1.) this battery is trash or 2.) this battery is trash because I simply don't drive it enough or for long enough and I need to start plugging in the trickle charger more regularly. There is a chance of 2 + my reconditioner gets it working well enough - it's revived much worse.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Motronic posted:

As I suspected, there is no way in hell you can have a rear battery along with the Bose sound system. This is the bottom of the subwoofer:

Au contraire,

Although it appears my sub was dinkier on account of the battery, the sound system did sound a lot better than that tiny "sub" would have you think. Definitely was the Bose because I had to get that aliexpress optical adapter to install an aftermarket radio, that and their insistence on having their name on the door speaker grilles.

But even with new batteries they're rough on them, or I had a parasitic draw somewhere. Left it for two weeks and it was deader than dead, threw them both on trickle chargers and they seemed to revive. I've got to pickup a smarter charger that can do reconditioning, would be handy for those "woops, forgot" moments.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whoah....what magic is that? I'd much rather have that setup.

In any case, thanks for the kick in the rear end to actually check, which lead me to figuring out I'm a big dummy anyway. This was happening sporadically every few months and just happened again yesterday and then again today......which I wasn't TOO surprised at since I've had the truck apart/ignition on and not started while replacing the android head unit I put in when I got it with a newer one......but yeah, the battery is just not great. It was sitting at 11.8 volts and from plenty of experience I know that's gonna piss off all manner of Bosch electronics.

We're up to a bulking charge. Let's see how this goes:

I almost hate having to do the install more than the money it will cost me for a new battery. It's such a miserable thing to change under the drivers seat. I'm using the remote terminals under the hood to try to recondition it.

E: dammit, I'm glad I took that pic and looked at it. I was on charge not recondition. Fixed......we'll see what it looks like in the morning.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 8, 2020

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Love this car.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Really making me want another 996. But I need less cars not more!

Not driving my SC right now since a dumb shop did the rockers wrong and baked the cam. Waiting until I move with a nice garage to get back into it. :'(

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Can't wait to put the summer tires back on my Cayman. It's been a pretty mild winter in Boston and obviously ground clearance is the enemy (especially once things ice over) but it's been a surprisingly good winter car with Michelin Alpin's on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Okay, that's just a great pic.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Speaking of Caymen, I purchased an 08 S recently. It's a great car and I love it but I've noticed something I missed on the test drives and walk around.

One of the exhaust tips sits lower than the other. It's not a huge deal, but it does irk me a bit.

I got under the car and looked at it, but didnt see an obvious adjustment point. The exhaust as a whole was hung from a bar which may have been slightly off center, I got under the car and adjusted it, but it didnt seem to make any difference.

Anyone have any advice on what to do with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Network42 posted:

Speaking of Caymen, I purchased an 08 S recently. It's a great car and I love it but I've noticed something I missed on the test drives and walk around.

One of the exhaust tips sits lower than the other. It's not a huge deal, but it does irk me a bit.

I got under the car and looked at it, but didnt see an obvious adjustment point. The exhaust as a whole was hung from a bar which may have been slightly off center, I got under the car and adjusted it, but it didnt seem to make any difference.

Anyone have any advice on what to do with this?

Just like when I got rear ended in the cayenne - stick a cheater bar in there (the end of a jack handle fit well for me) and gronk that poo poo.

It got bent. Because they backed into something. There is no adjustment, just bending.