Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

It also brought up the usefulness of keeping a finger near the end of the gun so that instead of shooting off screen to reload you could just shoot your fingertip to reload.

EDIT: do NOT attempt this with real guns, it is far less effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Stux posted:

switch lite is way better than older ones

how come?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's time:

quote:

After an extended break beginning in the spring of 2019, Dan Houser, Vice President, Creative at Rockstar Games, will be leaving the company. Dan Houser’s last day will be March 11, 2020. We are extremely grateful for his contributions. Rockstar Games has built some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful game worlds, a global community of passionate fans and an incredibly talented team, which remains focused on current and future projects.

Time for BULLY 2!

That's what he's doing right? He's gonna use all the money he made and start a new company solely devoted to making Bully 2?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Maybe Rockstar can make a game with some good writing now that that guy doesn't have to have his fingers in everything.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

how come?

because the 3ds and the ds were engineered to destroy human hands

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Only one tiny section of the game is shared though.

So maybe just calling it an online RPG is most accurate? I think my brains still stuck at the time where any multiplayer online RPG was called an MMO, regardless of how many players could enter the same instance at once.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought there were multiple housers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Kevin's Back Jack"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stux posted:

because the 3ds and the ds were engineered to destroy human hands

meant about the switch lite being more comfortable

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

stux likes the switch lite more because he doesn't want to like the switch but he does. so when a worse one comes out he can spin it as being better and be free

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's time:

Time for BULLY 2!

That's what he's doing right? He's gonna use all the money he made and start a new company solely devoted to making Bully 2?

He's prolly gonna retire, 10 billion dollars is probably enough

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's time:

Time for BULLY 2!

Dan Houser was a big dumb jerk head to the people that worked under him. Good riddance. Maybe now Rockstar can be a nicer place to work at. I think Bully 2 is absolutely in development right now though. I keep hearing enough rumors to believe it anyways. It'll probably be a PS5 game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

He's prolly gonna retire, 10 billion dollars is probably enough

Gonna place my bet on "using that money to start a tech company named after something in LOTR which makes products to help fascists"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Maybe now Rockstar can be a nicer place to work at.

nah, it's just going to make some other rear end in a top hat rich

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bad news! Take 2 Interactive are apparently agitating for Rockstar to pump out more titles (and are a generally scummy publisher) so they'll probably use this as an excuse to grind the developers into an even finer dust.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

meant about the switch lite being more comfortable

its more comfortable than the 3ds and ds because its a normal shape.

oddium posted:

stux likes the switch lite more because he doesn't want to like the switch but he does. so when a worse one comes out he can spin it as being better and be free

oddiums very jealous she bought a switch at release and couldnt get a cute switch lite in cool colors or at least a normal switch with good battery so has to try and slam my very pretty and adorable turquoise lite

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Bad news! Take 2 Interactive are apparently agitating for Rockstar to pump out more titles (and are a generally scummy publisher) so they'll probably use this as an excuse to grind the developers into an even finer dust.

I mean as long as they don't cause crunch, I think it's a good thing to say "get a fuckin move on with GTA6 and maybe try a new IP"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

precision posted:

I mean as long as they don't cause crunch

I wish I was as innocent as you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can they really not understand that the whole reason Rockstar puts out such massively successful selling games is because they take years to make, along with very careful marketing to generate hype? You cant do any of those things if you just rush out games quickly, and even with the long development times, their employees are still basically exploited and abused for profit. People will turn on them, we've seen this happening with Blizzard because they are rushing games out the door now.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

precision posted:

I mean as long as they don't cause crunch, I think it's a good thing to say "get a fuckin move on with GTA6 and maybe try a new IP"

lol good luck with that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stux posted:

its more comfortable than the 3ds and ds because its a normal shape.

did i misunderstand or did you also mean that the switch lite is more ergonomic than the regular switch? i just assumed they would handle similarly.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The DS line is comfy for me and my small long fingered hands. The only handheld I've needed a grip for is the normal fat switch, Its very heavy for my increasingly crumbling wrist joints.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't buy the Lite Switch, it has the same joypads as the regular one, they will absolutely break on you within a year and then you lose your entire system.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

did i misunderstand or did you also mean that the switch lite is more ergonomic than the regular switch? i just assumed they would handle similarly.

yeah as well but the regular switch is already a step up from the 3ds which had a game that required the touchpad and was so painful to play included a special stand with the game

the regular switch is just too large and heavy to be a good handheld. lite is a good reduction and puts it in good range. vita still best and most comfortable.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Stux posted:

imagine if smt 4 hadnt had the worst 2d art in the series history because they couldve just made it a normal game in the ps4 engine. wow. groundbreaking! anyway cant wait for smt5 to take 100 years because they have to make something work on the switch now instead of using the good engine they already made.

Isn't the new good engine designed for the PS3? they'd be dumb to make a new one for Switch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Don't buy the Lite Switch, it has the same joypads as the regular one, they will absolutely break on you within a year and then you lose your entire system.

or u just send it in for repair or do it yourself

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

my thumbs can't take more than a few hours with the vita. there's just not enough space to grip when your thumbs are that low.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

Isn't the new good engine designed for the PS3? they'd be dumb to make a new one for Switch

yeah it runs on ps3 and ps4, but for smt5 theyre apparently moving everything over to ue4 which while it maybe probably wont take as long its still very weird and confusing and also its atlus so it may still take as long

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

my thumbs can't take more than a few hours with the vita. there's just not enough space to grip when your thumbs are that low.

Vita means "four boobs"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

low? the only time the vita isnt comfortable is when u play a launch game that wont turn off back touchpad, otherwise its lovely

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tax return came in, and it is now time to order a new gpu and vr.

Oculus Quest doesn't come in until the 13th apparently, but my 1660 comes in tomorrow.

Gonna need some taxing games to test it out.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Strauss Zelnick, Take Two CEO, in 2018:

quote:

"We don't believe in our success until we deliver it. We never claim victory until it's occurred. We have very powerful, smart, capable competitors bringing great products to market and we need to win - that means we have to work harder than the next guy."

Also Strauss Zelnick, in 2017:

quote:

"We are convinced that we are probably from an industry view undermonetizing on a per-user basis. There is wood to chop because I think we can do more, and we can do more without interfering with our strategy of being the most creative and our ethical approach, which is delighting consumers."

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I think I'm gonna just spend a bit of my tax return on getting an Asian copy of granblue versus and save the rest

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Was Dan Houser the one insisting on concentrating on single player stuff instead of going even harder on mmo lootbox mechanics?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 5, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stux posted:

low? the only time the vita isnt comfortable is when u play a launch game that wont turn off back touchpad, otherwise its lovely

well i can't ever get a comfortable grip. i think it's because of how tense your hand is when your thumbs are that low whilst your index fingers have to be outstretched a bit (but still curved) to support and keep the console upright. the index finger is in a much more neutral position when holding e.g. a gameboy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Going back a bit, Nuts and Bolts is a half finished exploration platformer that had its maps doubled in size to awkwardly turn them into racetracks to serve a very mediocre racer system, it has no value. Especially when you remember this is the company that brought us Diddy Kong Racing.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Maybe Dan Houser leaving means Rockstar's future games won't be ragingly misogynistic and extremely white boy friendly. lmao as if

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello

This is a dumb thing but I want to show a thing that makes me chuckle a little.

In the House of the Dead series, the 3rd game had a secret antagonist introduced in one of the ending. This antagonist showed up again in another ending of House of the Dead 4 and its gimmicky followup 4 Special, and then the 5th House of the Dead game came out and he was the main antagonist and they finally gave him a name.

So in 3, he looked like this.

In 4, he looked like this.

In Scarlet Dawn/5, he looked like this.

The funny thing to me though is that 4 and 5 are prequels to 3. 3 takes place at the end of the House of the Dead timeline with the world already having been hosed over and humanity fighting back a losing battle after both the Curien Manor incident, both Venice* incidents, the Scarecrow Manor incident, and some stuff hints that some of this biological weapon/genetic mutation/zombie poo poo was being studied and experimented with as far back as the late 1800s, not to mention the theories about how Overkill factors into it since Overkill left some openings with Papa Caesar saying that Clement had powerful friends in the mutant/zombie/BOW crowd and there's nothing stopping them from just slotting Curien, Goldman, or Thornheart in there later (or someone else entirely to try and tie all this poo poo together).

Long story short, I posted all these words and pics just to say "lol the character introduced in the 3rd game got older in more recent entries even though the more recent entries take place before the 3rd game"

*turns out it is not confirmed as Venice but it is basically Venice

As someone who was really into The House of the Dead back in the day I'd assume if they cared to explain it couldn't they say that between both games he injected himself with poo poo to be a young immortal man? It'd fit right into how goofy the franchise is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That reminds me that I saw some Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing footage today and I remembered that they didn't want to use the word "dead" so they called House of the Dead "Curien Mansion"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

see i don't consider games that only have 3 or 4 people per lobby candidates in the mmo genre, but also i haven't touched an actual mmo in a dog's age and it sounds like most of them operate in groups of 3 to 4 people at a time these days too.

Sure, but where it gets tricky is the hybrid games.

PSO and Guild Wars are in-between. Outside in the combat space, you only have 3-5 people in a group. But, there are town spaces where you can see 50+ players and talk to them and trade with them and make parties.

That's why they're like, MMO-lite experiences.

Honestly, in my experience in an MMO you don't really interact with most of the people around you anyways. You could deliver the MMO experience exactly as-is with only a limit of like 20 people in a session, as long as the game server was constantly swapping out the other 15 people so your group of 5 keeps constantly running into other groups of 5, not the same people.

Destiny fucks this up across the board, unfortunately. It could be so much better but Bungie keep shooting themselves in the foot rushing underdeveloped games and then spending their entire life cycle just fixing launch issues at the same time as adding content, so they're always on the back foot and scrambling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lol good luck with that.

I didn't mean to imply crunch is unlikely, my point was that the crunch would be the problem, not the abstract notion of "tell Rockstar to get a move on"

In fact, with one Houser gone, maybe they'll not be as obsessed with lovingly recreating horse balls and poo poo