Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Here's something I should know but I'm not sure about.

If I sell a stock, Schwab shows the funds as available to trade immediately. Does that mean I can literally use them that same day? Or do I need to wait out the 3 days till they're settled?

I mean use them to buy another security, not for cashing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If I sell a stock, Schwab shows the funds as available to trade immediately. Does that mean I can literally use them that same day? Or do I need to wait out the 3 days till they're settled?

You can use them right away. You can’t withdraw until settlement.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

Gonna YOLO this dumb money on a cheap SPY put I think

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Do you have margin on your account? You can trade but if you do it frequently you'll be listed as a pattern day trader.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

Do you have margin on your account? You can trade but if you do it frequently you'll be listed as a pattern day trader.

No margin, I'm too chicken poo poo for that. It's just this one trade so I'm not worried.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I bought a single TSLA $800 put just for the hell of it and made $100 in about 4 minutes. :toot:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

No margin, I'm too chicken poo poo for that. It's just this one trade so I'm not worried.

Yeah, it's a free ride violation but generally that just means you might get a phone call. Just dont close this new trade for whatever trade date plus 3 business days and you're fine.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I own one and I think that TSLA belongs in the 200's MAYBE. Their best bet right now is autonomous uber.

Sold a 910/905 put spread expiring Friday, so please get ready to open your short positions now. Leaving an order open to close it out at 50% profit.

Bought it back when TSLA spiked ~970 for about 25% profit because take profits.

Then they went ITM. Lol dodged that bullet :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The minute TSLA momentum stalls and we see -3% or 4% there’s gonna be people mashing sell.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah, it's a free ride violation but generally that just means you might get a phone call. Just dont close this new trade for whatever trade date plus 3 business days and you're fine.

Just so I can gauge my situation, what happens if the market tanks tomorrow and my put goes wildly in the green. Would selling it put me at risk of getting the trade annulled or something like that?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We might already be there

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Yeah I flipped my put for a 10% gain, blinked, and it was worth 50% more.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We’re already slightly below the open. I may sell AH.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Josh Lyman posted:

Even with that drop, TSLA closed up $5 from the open.

Which was up ~100 from yesterday's close.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Just so I can gauge my situation, what happens if the market tanks tomorrow and my put goes wildly in the green. Would selling it put me at risk of getting the trade annulled or something like that?

Consult your broker but generally you would get your account frozen and be limited to cash and closing transactions only for 90 days. If you dont want to talk to your broker you can search for Free Ride Violation

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

greasyhands posted:

This is legitimately terrifying, I understand irrational markets and short term blah blah but the market is not responding to a literal black swan (Yes, China suddenly disclosing a viral outbreak and shutting down qualifies as a black swan)

It's... really weird. Reminds me a little of the bliss of early-to-mid 2007, when if you were paying attention you could see the housing situation deteriorating daily but meanwhile the markets went to new highs.

Chinese Starbucks knock-off Luckin Coffee (LK) is up 15% today, which puts it above levels from a month ago before the anyone had heard of coronavirus. Seems legit

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
That's a pretty bad operating profit guidance by F.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

nah I think that's just end of day profit taking

I won't believe it until it goes down for like a week+ straight

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I go away to gaze at Iowa for a day; what the hell is this ruckus?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

This but real

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

I got a margin agreement on file specifically to to not worry about this. Fidelity, at least, makes it very clear when trading what you can do without “using” the margin, and having the agreement on file at all eliminates settlement violations like this even if you don’t use it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Even with that drop, TSLA closed up $5 from the open.

Which was up ~100 from yesterday's close.
You can open up from yesterday’s close with bad price action that presages selling.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Sold a few more DIS calls before close. Wish I would have dumped them all. TSLA day trade for 50%.

It'll hit 1000. Probably not tomorrow or this week but it will continue to burn shorts. Fun day though.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

this market is just all over the place... fundamentals out of the window. who cares

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The DNC has committed to No Bernie and doing whatever it takes to get Buttigieg the nomination

Trump will absolutely destroy that idiot in November. S&P 5,000 by the end of 2021.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The DNC has committed to No Bernie and doing whatever it takes to get Buttigieg the nomination

Trump will absolutely destroy that idiot in November. S&P 5,000 by the end of 2021.
Gotta put all of my portfolio in OTM SPY calls and be a one percenter to protect myself.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Hit Man posted:

Sold a few more DIS calls before close. Wish I would have dumped them all. TSLA day trade for 50%.

It'll hit 1000. Probably not tomorrow or this week but it will continue to burn shorts. Fun day though.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to wake up tomorrow and see TSLA above 1,000.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

u left out a zero

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes the DNC is backing the open homosexual that immediately alienates a big chunk of the base

Edit: they probably are

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 5, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

greasyhands posted:

Yes the DNC is backing the open homosexual that immediately alienates a big chunk of the base

I know! That's why these are the best bets at the moment

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know! That's why these are the best bets at the moment

Source your quotes

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well, I went with 666 shares of Buttigieg because it's the sexy number

And 285 shares of TRUMP! because that's how many electoral votes he's going to get

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

greasyhands posted:

Edit: they probably are

Lol can you imagine? The DNC pushing through someone over half the country instinctively hates for a humiliation in the general? Man that sure would be crazy haha!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Comrayn posted:

Lol can you imagine? The DNC pushing through someone over half the country instinctively hates for a humiliation in the general? Man that sure would be crazy haha!

Hehehe

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What's Peter Butt's opinion on data center consolidation?

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Pete seems like a smart and good guy and this fuckery in Iowa puts a bad light on a otherwise solid candidate imo

The market is buying Pete's rise

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FWIW, D&D hates Pete as a Republican in sheep’s clothing

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Pete worked at one of those consulting companies that comes in to your place of work, looks around, bothers the people who can extract data into providing headcount, salary, and benefits and then recommends doing the same amount of work with less people.

Edit: they call it benchmarking to other peer groups and I've yet to see it done well and generally it just fucks with the morale of people working.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 5, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thoughts on the bottom post? Taken from Twitter, I ain't no redditor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

MomJeans420 posted:

Thoughts on the bottom post? Taken from Twitter, I ain't no redditor

So this guy is lighting money on fire unless the stock price continues to rocket upwards?