Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dude had a drug problem and got a very bad trip, then came back clean. I wouldn't want to go back if I were him either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Dawgstar posted:

As much as John Byrne would complain, nobody wants Magneto as a stock villain anymore.

Honestly, the best Magneto stories have him as an antagonist or alternative to the X-Men but not as a world-conquering, genocidal maniac.

In other words, Magneto as an anti-hero who can team up with the X-Men but won't necessarily agree with them on every issue.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Hickman's Magneto is one of the best parts of the run so far IMO and I'm glad no one tried to pull a full heel turn again on him in the 2010s.

Magneto monologuing about buying out humanity while going to town on a steak in X-Men #4 was Peak Magneto.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wielder posted:

Honestly, the best Magneto stories have him as an antagonist or alternative to the X-Men but not as a world-conquering, genocidal maniac.

In other words, Magneto as an anti-hero who can team up with the X-Men but won't necessarily agree with them on every issue.

The flip here is that Charles / X-Men aligned closer to Magneto/Apocalypse in that they want to win over humanity. Difference is they don’t want to destroy / wipe out humanity, but it’s obviously coming at humanity from a position of strength and superiority.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't quite figure out if x-force is intended to be so funny.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It absolutely is

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Only I, a hard man of science, can make these decisions, because it is the right thing."

*spectacularly fucks up beyond your wildest dreams*

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I kind of like McCoy as someone that thinks he's in the same league as Reed/Tony/T'challa but just isn't, and so he fucks up a lot even more than those nerds do.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I dropped X-Force because it looked more of the same grimdark crap that Fallen Angels similarly pulled. Yet, I don't see you guys speaking of X-Force in the same tone as Fallen Angels. Should I go back and check it out?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hickman’s New Avengers made it pretty obvious that he was just kind of a hanger on amongst his superiors. I’d have loved to have seen Xavier in that book.

EDIT: X-Force is a violent book, but it’s not up its own rear end grim or dark. There’s always a character or two that doesn’t take things seriously. Quire, Forge, and Black Tom are good examples. Wolverine even has some good jokes.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 3, 2020

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Only I, a hard man of science, can make these decisions, because it is the right thing."

*spectacularly fucks up beyond your wildest dreams*

This is the best characterization of Hank I've seen...

That said, Marvel has made it clear that smart people are constantly loving up. Reed made a loving superhero prison and lol Tony during Civil War.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hank running X-Force is especially funny because he left Utopia because he questioned Scott's ethics and was really pissed when he found out about Scott's X-Force murder squad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And the X-Force before that was funny because it operated under “Scotty doesn’t know”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

And that X-Force was funny because it operated under “Scotty doesn’t know”

The version before the Uncanny X-Force with Deadpool and Fantomax. It had James Proudstar, Laura (great job trying to rehabilitate her from being an assassin) and Domino, I think later it had the Vanisher.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

the Vanisher.

This guy is great because he's definitely one of those characters who Warren Ellis would interpret his powers as being literally unstoppable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

This guy is great because he's definitely one of those characters who Warren Ellis would interpret his powers as being literally unstoppable.

He was in his first appearance. Prof X had to mind wipe him so he forgot he had powers.

The O5 just couldn't deal with him, much later, as X-Factor those same people took out Apocalypse.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

He was in his first appearance. Prof X had to mind wipe him so he forgot he had powers.

The O5 just couldn't deal with him, much later, as X-Factor those same people took out Apocalypse.

Makes sense though since Cyclops, Jean, and Iceman all got a lot more powerful as they got older. And Warren got the Archangel upgrade. Beast got blue, I guess.

I hope Jean lets Scott know about Beast running the new X-Force and he's just like "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's true, Blob almost killed them all in his first appearance. I need to look up Toad's first appearance, I suspect he's always been a lackey, but I'd put even money on him originally being one of those lackeys that incapacitated half the team in in one or two pages.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

That's true, Blob almost killed them all in his first appearance. I need to look up Toad's first appearance, I suspect he's always been a lackey, but I'd put even money on him originally being one of those lackeys that incapacitated half the team in in one or two pages.

Not really. He's in Uncanny X-Men #4 and right off the bat is just some gross little goblin. His very first panels kind of set the tone:

Mostly he just hops around and gets yelled at although he does briefly kick Beast off of a wall before immediately getting upstaged by Mastermind, who makes Beast think the wall is glass and essentially just kicks him off again in a fancier fashion.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 3, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Not really. He's in Uncanny X-Men #4 and right off the bat is just some gross little goblin. His very first panels kind of set the tone:

Mostly he just hops around and gets yelled at although he does briefly kick Beast off of a wall before immediately getting upstaged by Mastermind, who makes Beast think the wall is glass and essentially just kicks him off again in a fancier fashion.

Wow, he's been a punk rear end bitch his entire existence. That's loving harsh. He should have become a janitor for the X-Men way the gently caress earlier.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
One of my favorite bits of Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe miscellany is how Gruenwald and company handwaved several incredibly goofy 'real names' from old comics as being aliases on the principle of "yeah, come on. He's a mutant with teleportation powers and it says his real name is Telford "Telly" Porter? It is obviously a criminal alias, his real name is unknown." Same with Basil Esks, The Basilisk and some other ones I'm forgetting.

Blackagar Boltagon made it through the vetting process, though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I've made the comparison a few times in the past but the current X-Force really gives me the same vibes as Si Spurrier's X-Force and I mean that in the most positive sense it can be interpreted, because Si Spurrier's X-Force is my favorite run of the series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For all the silliness of Blackagar Boltagon, at least he doesn’t have electricity powers conveniently too I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

One of my favorite bits of Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe miscellany is how Gruenwald and company handwaved several incredibly goofy 'real names' from old comics as being aliases on the principle of "yeah, come on. He's a mutant with teleportation powers and it says his real name is Telford "Telly" Porter? It is obviously a criminal alias, his real name is unknown." Same with Basil Esks, The Basilisk and some other ones I'm forgetting.

Blackagar Boltagon made it through the vetting process, though.

Sorry to dox you like this, but I have it on good authority your real name is Edgeagar Christianagon.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skwirl posted:

Wow, he's been a punk rear end bitch his entire existence. That's loving harsh. He should have become a janitor for the X-Men way the gently caress earlier.

I seem to recall he grew a brain and some balls for a brief period and was the leader of the Brotherhood for awhile when both Magneto and Mystique were doing face turns.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

jng2058 posted:

I seem to recall he grew a brain and some balls for a brief period and was the leader of the Brotherhood for awhile when both Magneto and Mystique were doing face turns.
The impetus of this was part of the earliest issues of (Rob Liefeld's OG) X-Force, where was shown brooding and playing games of chess against Gideon, as part of the Great Game between the Brotherhood and the Upstarts and the Externals. He and Gideon were self-proclaimed KINGS OF PAIN, because they loved chess and the music of Sting, I guess.

Skwirl posted:

Sorry to dox you like this, but I have it on good authority your real name is Edgeagar Christianagon.
Please, my full first name is Edgeward.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

The impetus of this was part of the earliest issues of (Rob Liefeld's OG) X-Force, where was shown brooding and playing games of chess against Gideon, as part of the Great Game between the Brotherhood and the Upstarts and the Externals. He and Gideon were self-proclaimed KINGS OF PAIN, because they loved chess and the music of Sting, I guess.
Please, my full first name is Edgeward.

I feel like a lot of blame for the Kings of Pain thing is more on Nicieza than Liefeld-- that whole string of annuals really has Nicieza written all over it and not a ton of direct Liefeld involvement, afaik. Although I don't know how much of it was just Nicieza preparing the way for the increased spotlight on Toad as the Brotherhood leader that does come in in IIRC the last handful of Liefeld-plotted X-Force issues.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

For all the silliness of Blackagar Boltagon, at least he doesn’t have electricity powers conveniently too I guess.

even though its mostly just used for punching, flying and shouting things apart his power is technically manipulating electrons :science:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Edgeagar N. Christianagon

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Oh, wow. I always forget Gideon was a thing. Is Cannoball still an External? Did the mutants bring Gideon and the Externals (prog rock name ahoy) back? These are the questions that will consume me for a lunchtime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, wow. I always forget Gideon was a thing. Is Cannoball still an External? Did the mutants bring Gideon and the Externals (prog rock name ahoy) back? These are the questions that will consume me for a lunchtime.

They've got Apocalypse and I think Selene, so I don't see why Gideon wouldn't at least be on the docket for resurrection.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
does anyone else remember that there are 1000 clones of Emma of which the Cuckoos are just 5? they get to come back too right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Autism Sneaks posted:

does anyone else remember that there are 1000 clones of Emma of which the Cuckoos are just 5? they get to come back too right?

Dang, they're their own demographic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Codependent Poster posted:

Makes sense though since Cyclops, Jean, and Iceman all got a lot more powerful as they got older. And Warren got the Archangel upgrade. Beast got blue, I guess.

It's one of those things that's been forgotten as Hank's become the designated genius/punching bag of the X-Men and occasionally Avengers, but Hank got a significant boost during the old Louise Simonson X-Factor. He went through that whole plot where he was getting dumber and stronger, and when it got resolved, he was blue and furry again as well as being stronger than he used to be.

The problem is that during the '90s and onward, he spent a lot more time in the lab and as mission control than he did in the field, because he's a lot more useful to writers as a smart guy. He's not in Rogue or Colossus's weight class, but he's got enough gas in the tank that he'd be genuinely dangerous. He's just never in fights anymore.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Some new stuff tomorrow if I'm reading it right. Wolverine and giant size?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kingtheninja posted:

Some new stuff tomorrow if I'm reading it right. Wolverine and giant size?

Zdarsky's FF/X-Men book too

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So Marauders was fine, but I'm curious as to when Callisto became hot. Was that a conscious thing or did she just start getting drawn like she wasn't originally a hard-looking woman?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dawgstar posted:

So Marauders was fine, but I'm curious as to when Callisto became hot. Was that a conscious thing or did she just start getting drawn like she wasn't originally a hard-looking woman?

Masque made her hot at a time when she'd lost her memories and she became a fashion model, hence the reference from Jumbo about her being on the catwalk. This was right after the Siege Perilous thing, and she got into a relationship with Colossus who had lost his memories and was living as an artist in New York.

I think it's also likely that she was naturally attractive, and had chosen to have Masque make her look harder as part of that whole "Morlocks live apart from humanity and we wear that on our intentionally ugly faces" thing they had going before most of them died in the Massacre.

Marauders was decent enough, though frankly anyone stupid enough to guard a teleport gate from right on top of it when you're carrying rifles deserves to get blown up by a grenade. Surround the thing at 50 meters and shoot Bishop when he comes out from a safe distance, you dumbasses. :doh:

Liked Fantastic Four/X-Men, though I'm way more interested in how next issue turns out than I was for the first issue.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

jng2058 posted:

I think it's also likely that she was naturally attractive, and had chosen to have Masque make her look harder as part of that whole "Morlocks live apart from humanity and we wear that on our intentionally ugly faces" thing they had going before most of them died in the Massacre.

I was wracking my brain about "callisto being a model" and when that was so thanks for the trip down memory lane. Another reminder of how loving weird uncanny was between issue 250 and claremont leaving. 30 issues of the best selling comic in the world where the team doesn't actually appear in like 28 of those issues.

If I remember right, part of her origin was that she was attractive then got into an accident and realized that the world loving sucks when you're not pretty. I believe it was her motivation for joining (co-founding?) the morlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FF/X-Men was pretty entertaining, even if I'm kinda cooled on Dodson's pencils. Loved it having at least one callback to the '87 miniseries which was really good but nobody talks about anymore.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 5, 2020