Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

And also an episode where the entire cast appears in yellowface.

Which episode was that? That sounds like something that would stand out but I don’t remember it at all... which makes me think it was during season 6, which was so bad I barely paid attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Which episode was that? That sounds like something that would stand out but I don’t remember it at all... which makes me think it was during season 6, which was so bad I barely paid attention to it.

Season 9, "Slapsgiving 3: Slappointment in Slapmarra". 

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

If you don't know episodes by name, its the one where Marshall's hunting Barney through the woods to deliver the final slap, telling a story about how he went to various kung-fu masters (which are all yellowface versions of Ted, Robin, and Lilly in asian-ified versions of the bar they're always in) to learn "the ultimate slap".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Reminds me of a lot of episode of the OG run of Good Eats where Alton and his band of buddies would FREQUENTLY don yellow-face. Is there a remotely Asian dish or ingredient being used? Time to done the bad "sumo wig," a Kimono, and talk is terrible fake Japanese or Chinese.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jedit posted:

The best summary on the top end of half-plus-seven is that it has a corollary which eventually replaces it some time around age 50: "no man should be older than his mother-in-law".

Incidentally, that very same sentiment is exactly what made Roger Moore conclude that he was absolutely done playing James Bond after A View to a Kill, when he found out that he was older than co-star Tanya Roberts' mother.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

DrBouvenstein posted:

Reminds me of a lot of episode of the OG run of Good Eats where Alton and his band of buddies would FREQUENTLY don yellow-face. Is there a remotely Asian dish or ingredient being used? Time to done the bad "sumo wig," a Kimono, and talk is terrible fake Japanese or Chinese.

Also, using soy sauce is yellowface.

Mister Mind has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Jan 28, 2020

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Wow, you're a really messy chef.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Just so you guys can feel even worse it actually kind of racist to use the term yellow in regards to asian people like at all. It is not akin to calling someone black.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nutsngum posted:

Just so you guys can feel even worse it actually kind of racist to use the term yellow in regards to asian people like at all. It is not akin to calling someone black.

Yes, racism is bad. Do not do a racism. :rolleyes:

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
kinda the opposite of the thread, but i recently rewatched the Life of Brian for the first time in like a decade and was kinda shocked that a 1979 comedy was surprisingly not outright mean about a trans character. I'm sure the jokes were still problematic, but I was taken aback by it nonetheless.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nutsngum posted:

Do you have an alternative to the term yellowface that is as efficient in terms of instantly identifying the practice and why it's problematic?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Beachcomber posted:

Do you have an alternative to the term yellowface that is as efficient in terms of instantly identifying the practice and why it's problematic?

Ethnic/cultural appropriation or even just appropriation in general would probably work, i'm guessing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Ethnic/cultural appropriation or even just appropriation in general would probably work, i'm guessing.

That doesn't work for when you need to describe that very specific practice though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mister No posted:

kinda the opposite of the thread, but i recently rewatched the Life of Brian for the first time in like a decade and was kinda shocked that a 1979 comedy was surprisingly not outright mean about a trans character. I'm sure the jokes were still problematic, but I was taken aback by it nonetheless.

I feel that the jokes they make about Loretta(?), the Eric Idle character that wants to become a woman, are less jokes about her trans-ness and more just extra jokes about the bullshit revolutionary group she is a part of. So while they are making fun of a trans character, they are not making fun of her for being trans.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That doesn't work for when you need to describe that very specific practice though.

"that mickey rooney horseshit"

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mister No posted:

Python dudes were pretty woke for their day. For instance the rest of them knew more or less from day one that Graham Chapman was gay, and that was never a problem.

Of course, they were university-educated theatre people, a subculture traditionally pretty much at the forefront of being OK with LGBT issues.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"asianface" maybe?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Just watched Life Of Brian the other night and was shocked at how it’s still probably the most historically accurate life of Christ picture.

OK, I haven’t seen Temptation, but the accuracy of the political situation and the Romans rather than the Jews actually been the ones that strung the guy up loving awesome.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yet it was still super controversial

quote:

Norway banned the film for one year for blasphemy, then gave it an '18' rating and included a warning from the censors at the beginning. It has been marketed in Sweden as "The film that is so funny that it was banned in Norway!" Ireland banned the film for blasphemy until 1987. Torbay Council, Devon, refused to show the film until September 2008. Aberystwyth, Wales, lifted its local ban in 2009 after cast member Sue Jones-Davies was elected mayor.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Groke posted:

Python dudes were pretty woke for their day. For instance the rest of them knew more or less from day one that Graham Chapman was gay, and that was never a problem.

I remember an interview with Chapman (which I cannot find now) where he joked about his dying. He said something like, "People think that, since I'm gay, I'm dying of AIDS, but I'm actually dying from cancer. Ha! That'll show 'em!"

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And then a decade or so later it got a new cinema release in Norway, with a much lower age rating and no censorship. (Around the same time, censorship standards for movies in general got relaxed a lot; I guess some of the key persons in charge of such things retired and were replaced around that time.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://youtu.be/asUyK6JWt9U

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

If you aren't familiar with the history of the controvesy, it's perhaps worth pointing out that this is a parody of a famous interview where the church protested the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ni559bHXDg

And boy, The Establishment do not come off looking good in this.

quote:

In 1979, shortly after the release of their film Life of Brian, Monty Python members Michael Palin and John Cleese appeared on BBC Two's Friday Night, Saturday Morning to debate the film with Roman Catholic journalist and satirist Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop of Southwark, Mervyn Stockwood.

The film had been surrounded in religious controversy, due to its depictions of a fictional Messiah that many claimed had satirised Jesus Christ. Michael Palin told the Today programme that he prepared for the debate "quite carefully". "I didn't know what the Church's attitude was going to be - that's what I felt when I turned up there," he continued.

John Cleese explained that having recently watched the discussion again he "was astonished, first of all, at how stupid [the two members of the Church] were, and how boring the debate became".

He added: "I think the sad thing was that there was absolutely no attempt at a proper discussion - no attempt to find any common ground."

E: it really is dull and not worth watching.

Shut up Meg has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Feb 4, 2020

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I think a lot of people (especially at the time) expected the Pythons to be pretty dumb, given their humor, but it's my experience that it takes the smartest people to make the dumbest poo poo that's also good.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Too bad about present day John Cleese

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

Too bad about present day John Cleese

Present day John Cleese also does cast the whole "What have the Romans ever done for us" scene in a rather different light. It is, after all, a bunch of Brits sitting around a table joking that the natives never appreciate all the supposed upsides of being colonized.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
He's also responsible for the meanest jabs at Loretta's transition. I get the feeling he saw it more as "one person who's willing to speak the truth" rather than "my character's an rear end in a top hat."

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Present day John Cleese also does cast the whole "What have the Romans ever done for us" scene in a rather different light. It is, after all, a bunch of Brits sitting around a table joking that the natives never appreciate all the supposed upsides of being colonized.

What's the other possible meaning of that joke?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(strains, grunts, pulls an rear end tendon attempting to even imagine what "catholic satire" could possibly be like)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
like. . . what, the liturgy is in pig latin? they're all wearing their hats upside down? The role of Mary will be played by Mary Tyler Moore? th. . . there's no room in Catholicism for satire! They're too full of red velvet and gold brocade! The Vatican has an entire wing for curating, maintaining, and displaying tapestries. A tapestry is like a rug for your walls, they're the most useless goddamn things in existence and the Vatican dedicates like a third of itself to them shits.

edit- wait, satire by Catholics or about Catholics?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

What's the other possible meaning of that joke?

That none of the listed upsides make up for being murdered by an imperial militarist state.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hyperhazard posted:

He's also responsible for the meanest jabs at Loretta's transition. I get the feeling he saw it more as "one person who's willing to speak the truth" rather than "my character's an rear end in a top hat."

Absolutely Reg thinks he's speaking truth. But it's a part of the whole PFJ and associated splitters that none of them have their eyes on reality, so he's also a shameless hypocrite.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, every sperm is sacred would be a good Catholic satire. Except especially for the part where all the kids are sold off for medical experiments.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One of the best films about Jesus, according to the Vatican, is The Gospel According to Matthew (1964) by Pier Paolo Pasolini, a gay Communist atheist.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pasolini is today most famous for Saló, an allegory for fascism based on a story by the Marquis de Sade, where a group of wealthy and powerful men (including a Bishop) force a group of teenagers to eat their own poop.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pasolini is today most famous for Saló, an allegory for fascism based on a story by the Marquis de Sade, where a group of wealthy and powerful men (including a Bishop) force a group of teenagers to eat their own poop.

Honestly, the poop eating was one of the less disturbing parts of that film.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For those interested, the book 120 days of sodom, which is actually unfinished, gives a description of a character who never wipes his rear end so his poo poo just accumulates around his rear end in a top hat forming a thick smelly ring of feces which becomes problematic when other characters try to gently caress him in the rear end

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You can put me down for: Not Interested

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

oldpainless posted:

For those interested, the book 120 days of sodom, which is actually unfinished, gives a description of a character who never wipes his rear end so his poo poo just accumulates around his rear end in a top hat forming a thick smelly ring of feces which becomes problematic when other characters try to gently caress him in the rear end

More like oldtoiletpaperless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

oldpainless posted:

More annoyingly, the title is incorrect. Due to weather, it ends up being 150 days. I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

Also, more like oldtearsofbloodless.