Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Can't believe his comedy career didn't take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Splash Attack posted:

the washington examiner comparing blood heir to american dirt is also extremely disengenous because the author for blood heir actually pulled back her book's publication, sat down and worked with her editor to make sure that the offending human trafficking and indentured servitude parts weren't racially tone deaf (she'd written it based on her experience and knowledge of asia's human trafficking and slave trading, and didn't realize how it would sound to american readers), then sent it out to be reviewed by sensitivity groups and scholars to make sure that she wasn't being racist as gently caress.

i highly doubt anything like that was done for american dirt lol.

Yea. I'm not one to think that you cant write about something that you didn't experience first hand, but you should probably do your homework, and also not plagiarize said homework.

Looks like it's happening again with another book called My Dark Vanessa: https://slate.com/culture/2020/01/my-dark-vanessa-book-controversy-explained-american-dirt.html

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Donald Trump Jr. is just a pack of scabies going OH poo poo WHAT I THOUGHT THIS THING RAN ITSELF

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

there wolf posted:

Why do we still have caucuses anyway? Just have an election like normal states.

Caucus system allows rural counties to have more sway. You can't have the wrong people decide the election.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea. I'm not one to think that you cant write about something that you didn't experience first hand, but you should probably do your homework, and also not plagiarize said homework.

Looks like it's happening again with another book called My Dark Vanessa: https://slate.com/culture/2020/01/my-dark-vanessa-book-controversy-explained-american-dirt.html

The thing all these people running to her defense seem to leave out is this woman got paid a million dollars for this book. And she still managed to barely do the gate minimum of research.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AlbieQuirky posted:

Her grandmother was Puerto Rican, not Mexican or Central American, in any case.

When the publisher sent out the review copies, they highlighted that Cummins’s husband was an undocumented immigrant at one time, but didn’t explain that he was a visa overstayer from Ireland :rolleyes:

Also, a character calls his mother “abuela”. No, she does not have any grandchildren.

Is a visa not a document?

He’s an illegal immigrant, yes, but a documented one nonetheless.

There’s also the issue that overstaying a visa is a civil matter, unlike crossing the border without permission, which is an actual crime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Platystemon posted:

There’s also the issue that overstaying a visa is a civil matter, unlike crossing the border without permission, which is an actual crime.

Undocumented is the preferred terminology, because illegal implies their very existence is illegal.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

The only non-idiot is the child.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A child selling tchotchkes at the side of the road so other children don't starve isn't a loving aspirational story.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
:nws:
https://i.imgur.com/iykojda.png

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Close

https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1223405167908921344?s=19

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So close it hurts

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I wish this was goatse

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I wanna know what comedian, so I can check out her special and follow her on Twitter.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah that stood out to me as well.

"They're trying to CANCEL this."

*examples of criticism*

"Instead of SJW BOOK BURNINGS why not just do what anyone else does when they read a book they dislike, and criticize it? Instead of this"

*example of criticism*

"and this histrionic bullshit"

*example of extremely restrained criticism from Latin American community*

"Guess we can't just have a discussion anymore."

Why is it conservatives always melt right the gently caress down in the face of even the mildest criticisms?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

PetraCore posted:

Haha oh my god, I thought that screech owl one was bad because I didn't know off the top of my head either but it sounded like a cultural thing you could pretty easily google or ask someone about, but the abuela bit is literally worse than a 14 year old who completed one semester of high school spanish lessons.

Yeah, this is what I'm saying! I don't think it's wrong for people to write outside of their own personal experience and that should extend further than just 'not all my characters are white', but at the same time if you're going to grapple with something complex and sensitive like that, you do your research, you consult people willing to help you and credit them, and you edit edit edit. It's basic writing craft as much as it is basic human decency, but there's a lot of people who feel like they can get away with just banging out bullshit because the audience they're aiming for, in this case middle class white people whose biggest interaction with Latinx is a Taco Bell, won't know or care enough to push back. It's not writing to change anyone's minds or educate them, it's writing to get a quick buck by capitalizing off an actual issue and stepping on more educated and informed people to do so.

But also now I kind of want to read an in-depth list of everything this book super hosed up, I only really knew about it from the horrid barbed wire chic decorations.

This reminds me of Mutant Message Down Under, a book from the 90s by a white American woman who wrote about her time spent with an Aboriginal tribe. Except it was all complete racist bullshit.

It currently has 4.4 stars on Amazon. :suicide:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Oh poo poo it's 2006 again apparently.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

One of the best known books on trans people is a wife's tale of how ~hard~ it is that her wife transitioned and how good she was for not leaving her and poo poo. There's also a sequel iirc.

Which is the vibe you get from like 70%+ of cis-made media with trans stuff in it these days admittedly.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I also love how one of the articles claims that "cancel culture" is a left-on-left crime. Because "right wing culture" doesn't get cancelled. Just ask Roseanne!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

:supaburn:

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

T-man posted:

One of the best known books on trans people is a wife's tale of how ~hard~ it is that her wife transitioned and how good she was for not leaving her and poo poo. There's also a sequel iirc.

Which is the vibe you get from like 70%+ of cis-made media with trans stuff in it these days admittedly.

Is this the one by that Knox lady?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Seems like appropriate timing for this story to have shown up on my Google News page.

https://www.wired.com/story/attack-helicopter-meme-sci-fi-story/

quote:

At the beginning of this year, the science fiction and fantasy magazine Clarkesworld published a short story called “I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter” by Isabel Fall. The story, which appears to be Fall’s debut, follows the first “somatic female” to undergo “tactical-role gender reassignment” surgery. She becomes, more or less literally, an Army helicopter. “When I was a woman I wanted my skin to be as smooth and dark as the sintered stone countertop in our kitchen,” the narrator says. “Now my skin is boron-carbide and Kevlar.”

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Knormal posted:

Seems like appropriate timing for this story to have shown up on my Google News page.

https://www.wired.com/story/attack-helicopter-meme-sci-fi-story/

This is either going to be amazing or horrendous. No middle ground.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Will no one rid me of that turbulent piece?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Will no one rid me of that turbulent piece?

Jesus H Hubbard... BOO!!!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I wanna know what comedian, so I can check out her special and follow her on Twitter.

She's Kate Willet and that tweet about her is ironic. Her boyfriend died of something he could have diagnosed if he did have healthcare, so that's her cause

https://twitter.com/RepTimRyan/status/1224889867798224896

gently caress you, wrestling is less rigged than the dem primaries

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Platystemon posted:

“Undocumented” is generally used to refer to all people without current, valid documents. It was also the word Flatiron Press used to refer to Ms. Cummins’ husband.

I don’t see what point you’re making with the civil/criminal distinction, unless to underscore that Ms. Cummins’ husband’s experience has zero in common with her protagonist’s. Which, yeah.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

nerdz posted:

She's Kate Willet and that tweet about her is ironic. Her boyfriend died of something he could have diagnosed if he did have healthcare, so that's her cause

https://twitter.com/RepTimRyan/status/1224889867798224896

gently caress you, wrestling is less rigged than the dem primaries

My loving barber had this on when I was getting my hair cut, she kept giggling about how mad Pelosi must be, apparently the audible teeth grinding didn't alert her to my view on the subject. More than the 10 straight minutes of ridiculous lies, I just HATE hearing him speak, it grinds my gears in a way that George Warcriminal Bush just didn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maybe don't endorse capital punishment in a full page ad for innocent Black teenagers?

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1224849858231750656?s=19

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Elviscat posted:

My loving barber had this on when I was getting my hair cut, she kept giggling about how mad Pelosi must be, apparently the audible teeth grinding didn't alert her to my view on the subject. More than the 10 straight minutes of ridiculous lies, I just HATE hearing him speak, it grinds my gears in a way that George Warcriminal Bush just didn't.

So you're firing her right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kuros posted:

So you're firing her right?

You don't fire a barber, you just stop using them. You're a client, not a boss.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1224908945699037184

:qq:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No one should

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Skwirl posted:

You don't fire a barber, you just stop using them. You're a client, not a boss.

This is true, if I could find a barber with better politics I would, but that's unlikely in this area, and the barbershop she works at (I know the owner, and I doubt he has much better politics) is by far the best in my little town, I have horrible hair, it simply does not good in a standard military cut.

When I lived in NY my barber was a lesbian who was crazy good at a basic military cut, she's probably a Bernie supporter, and I miss her, she was the best.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
https://twitter.com/Partsman18/status/1224928660739645441
https://twitter.com/SnowWhiteWarri1/status/1224924787085987840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AlbieQuirky posted:

“Undocumented” is generally used to refer to all people without current, valid documents. It was also the word Flatiron Press used to refer to Ms. Cummins’ husband.

I don’t see what point you’re making with the civil/criminal distinction, unless to underscore that Ms. Cummins’ husband’s experience has zero in common with her protagonist’s. Which, yeah.

It’s that.

I don’t know her husband is an undocumented immigrant, strictly speaking, and he certainly doesn’t have much in common with the undocumented immigrants she/her publisher are shamelessly trying to associate him with.

It’s like defending an author for writing ignorant racist garbage purportedly about black people’s experiences with “my husband is an African‐American”, but he’s actually a recent white immigrant from South Africa… to Canada.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Feb 5, 2020