Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

LRed Bull spent the better part of five years openly making GBS threads on Renault at every opportunity (to the point where they had to rebadge the engine to keep them apart) and Honda didn't have a problem doing business with them.

Because Red Bull has been nothing but positive publicly with them (and Toro Rosso has as well). It’s not your reputation, it’s how you handle the actual relationship. And when Alonso was supposed to be the huge signing that got McLaren-Honda back into contention and was getting paid a ton by Honda directly? And then go on to race successfully for Toyota for two-plus years? Yeah, that bridge is burned, and I’m not surprised or upset Honda has a long memory.

Jenson Button may have thought or said the same things privately, but not publicly, and he wound up landing softly in a Super GT drive.

Or this could also be HPD letting the Japanese side play bad cop for them instead of taking the flak themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Big Huski Boi posted:

Did he do something behind the scenes we're not privy to? Seems like an awfully over the top meltdown in response to a single angry radio message. Especially considering they did, in fact, produce a GP2 engine.

Alonso was kinda passive aggressive v Honda for more than a single radio message. Some parts were reasonable some were not.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Big Huski Boi posted:

He got mad that the engine sucked rear end (which it did) and said "GP2 engine!" on the radio. A racing driver complains about his car that way in literally every single race. If that's it then it shouldn't be an issue in the slightest. Red Bull spent the better part of five years openly making GBS threads on Renault at every opportunity (to the point where they had to rebadge the engine to keep them apart) and Honda didn't have a problem doing business with them. So either Alonso was extra petty behind the scenes (which is absolutely possible! that's what he does) or else Honda are the pettiest lil babies on the entire planet.

Ron Dennis is the pettiest, bitchiest man in the history of motorsport and he forgave Alonso for ratting out the entire team to the FIA. Honda gotta get over it.

Ok Fernando. You’re still not driving for Honda in the 500, sorry.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Ok Fernando. You’re still not driving for Honda in the 500, sorry.

All I'm asking you is if there is more to this story behind the scenes, because if it's just the radio message then they're grossly overreacting. You don't need to instantly become a massive poo poo heel about it, god drat. You can just say yes or no or I don't know.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
You’re the one being really angry about this. I have no inside knowledge other than what I’ve already shared, which is that the HPD and Honda bosses I was talking to at Daytona did not seem at all inclined to forgive or forget.

Knowing that he plays ruthless team politics, it is a very safe assumption that the public GP2 engine comment was the tip of the iceberg and we can be pretty sure he said all that and more behind closed doors too.

And if you do some reading you’ll see Ferrari said it would never have him back, and Christian Horner says he’d never take him at Red Bull because of how disruptive he is inside a team once he starts doing his thing. Sorry that upsets you.

Motorsports is a team sport, and you win as a team or lose as a team. Once drivers forget that, it’s usually bad.

Edit: unlike me, Mark Hughes does have a lot of insider info. Read him: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/mph-which-f1-team-would-have-fernando-alonso-in-2021

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not angry at all, actually, and if you would've just calmly answered the question the first time this wouldn't have been a problem.

Thank you.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Does everyone not recall the time in both late 2016 and basically all of 2017 when Boullier, Zak Brown, Alonso and eventually even the Belgian guys (Strudel Vandoonsen or something) were saying that they would be getting podiums and winning races with any other engine? It goes far beyond the GP2 engine comments.

Was the engine awful? Yes, unequivocally. Was McLaren’s chassis good? The answer is no.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Another thing about the RBR/Honda vs. Renault is that the Honda engines cost much less. It’s why the criticisms aren’t as severe.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Alonso also pushed for the engine change.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Frond posted:

Does everyone not recall the time in both late 2016 and basically all of 2017 when Boullier, Zak Brown, Alonso and eventually even the Belgian guys (Strudel Vandoonsen or something) were saying that they would be getting podiums and winning races with any other engine? It goes far beyond the GP2 engine comments.

Was the engine awful? Yes, unequivocally. Was McLaren’s chassis good? The answer is no.

A huge reason McLaren had so many engine failures is because they designed the chassis with basically no regard to engine cooling or packaging. The arrogance within that team “best chassis on the grid” was exposed in stark relief when they put a Renault engine in it and it was still utter horseshit. Many people got fired or reassigned at McLaren as a result, and now the team is getting back to its old ways again.

I’m a McLaren fan before I’m a Honda fan, and even I can see that the issue there was mostly one to do with McLaren.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

A huge reason McLaren had so many engine failures is because they designed the chassis with basically no regard to engine cooling or packaging. The arrogance within that team “best chassis on the grid” was exposed in stark relief when they put a Renault engine in it and it was still utter horseshit. Many people got fired or reassigned at McLaren as a result, and now the team is getting back to its old ways again.

I’m a McLaren fan before I’m a Honda fan, and even I can see that the issue there was mostly one to do with McLaren.

They also 1. made Honda build an engine for 2015 when they would've really preferred to wait until 2016, and 2. very very wrongly assumed the 2014 regulations would put a huge premium on aero efficiency and insisted Honda build the most compact engine possible at the cost of producing a lot less horsepower. And then they blamed Honda when the engine wasn't reliable enough at the start, and again when they had to scrap everything and design a brand new engine because the ultra compact design couldn't produce the needed horsepower. So I can't really blame Honda for not wanting to work with McLaren again. The tension between the two companies was extremely obvious in the Amazon documentary they made.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Honda paying for a scholarship for US F3 to Indy Lights.

https://hpd.honda.com/Articles/F3-F4/2020-HPD-Establishes-F3-Americas-Drivers-Champion-Scholarship

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

You’re the one being really angry about this. I have no inside knowledge other than what I’ve already shared, which is that the HPD and Honda bosses I was talking to at Daytona did not seem at all inclined to forgive or forget.

Knowing that he plays ruthless team politics, it is a very safe assumption that the public GP2 engine comment was the tip of the iceberg and we can be pretty sure he said all that and more behind closed doors too.

and I would imagine Honda subsidizing Alonso's bank account to the tune of 8-figures per year while hearing these comments may also play a part in the proverbial "DO NOT SERVE" picture behind the bar with his face on it.

[edit] as raised in that Hughes article, I totally forgot that the "GP2 Engine" comments were at Suzuka. Ouch.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 3, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IMO it's generally a very sign for the future health of your series when parts suppliers use monopsony power to start exercising hire/fire power over what's supposed to be a customer series.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/AJFoytRacing/status/1224754549501648896

Also:

IndyCar Series 2020: Part-Timer's Revenge!!!

IndyCar Series 2020: Really lovely Musical Chairs Edition

IndyCar Series 2020: Chevrolet Indycar Series Vetoed by Honda

IndyCar Series 2019: Actually it's the 2020 season but we didn't bother making a new thread

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ooof. Seabass got his work cut out for him on that ride.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

WindyMan posted:

https://twitter.com/AJFoytRacing/status/1224754549501648896

Also:

IndyCar Series 2020: Part-Timer's Revenge!!!

IndyCar Series 2020: Really lovely Musical Chairs Edition

IndyCar Series 2020: Chevrolet Indycar Series Vetoed by Honda

IndyCar Series 2019: Actually it's the 2020 season but we didn't bother making a new thread

different threads for ovals, road courses and street courses. replace some of them randomly during the season.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Roger Penske's Indycar Series 2020

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm Paul Page. From Something Awful, this... is Indycar Racing 2020!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
hey guys do you think Paul Page is a goon

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

WindyMan posted:

hey guys do you think Paul Page is a goon

He's cool

So no.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

I'm Paul Page. From Something Awful, this... is Indycar Racing 2020!

*ICR2 theme begins, played on kazoos*

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

different threads for ovals, road courses and street courses. replace some of them randomly during the season.

And have some cowards opt out of posting in the oval threads

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Occasionally have the F1 posters come in, make a huge embarrasement of themselves, and leave

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Big Huski Boi posted:

And have some cowards opt out of posting in the oval threads

what do you call the ones that only post in the oval threads but they have a strong showing every post?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

Occasionally have the F1 posters come in, make a huge embarrasement of themselves, and leave

How often is "occasionally?" Asking for a friend.

what do you call the ones that only post in the oval threads but they have a strong showing every post?

Ed

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

NASCAR posters need to comment in their own threads about how they like watching the Indycar thread but would never post in it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

IMO it's generally a very sign for the future health of your series when parts suppliers use monopsony power to start exercising hire/fire power over what's supposed to be a customer series.

One could argue it hasn’t been a “customer” series since Pat Patrick gave those Chevy-Ilmors to Alfa (allegedly), but I see what your saying. This kind of poo poo destroyed CART.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

One could argue it hasn’t been a “customer” series since Pat Patrick gave those Chevy-Ilmors to Alfa (allegedly), but I see what your saying. This kind of poo poo destroyed CART.

Yeah, and I have deep questions over anyone going "well, you deserve what you get" over an engine supplier apparently having enough sway to slap down one of the series' biggest teams over what should be their own hiring decision, but then again, certain people feel the need to compulsively defend billion dollar brands these days.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Graduates of the USAC thread, posters Robin Miller would buy a ride for the 500 for if his Vegas numbers come up

[Edit]

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, and I have deep questions over anyone going "well, you deserve what you get" over an engine supplier apparently having enough sway to slap down one of the series' biggest teams over what should be their own hiring decision, but then again, certain people feel the need to compulsively defend billion dollar brands these days.

I think there would be a bigger cry if they’d allowed McLaren to use Honda engines with Schmidt-Petersen, but they aren’t. So it seems more like bad F1 blood spilling over than a manufacturer throwing weight around?

harperdc fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 5, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Honda is known for holding grudges. They blackballed Rahal post-‘94 (He tried to go back to them during the 1997 season.)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tbh, this is a byproduct of the mandatory engine leases that were one of the primary reasons for the IRL getting made to be in the first place. Early IRL rules required Chevy and Nissan to open their entire parts book to any independent engine builder that wanted to build one, and required them to sell the engines outright if a team wanted them. This lead to lots of little, weird teams getting old engines and running without any GM or Nissan support in the early days.

But then the IRL quietly adopted mandatory leases by the 2003 season to get Honda and Toyota to leave CART, in an effort to kill CART for good. It didn't work.

All of that said, even if AA owned their own engines, they wouldn't be able to do this deal without Honda's support. Honda gives them millions in support dollars... another thing the IRL stopped in its foundational rules that it has now let creep back into the sport at its own detriment.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Seabass and TK could still be one hell of a one-two punch.

...on most any other team.

People get confused which twisty track thread they're supposed to be in because road and street courses could be seen as the same thing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
BTW it’s definitely Tokyo that nixed the deal.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

HPD was trying to play good parent/bad parent.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm really certain that Dalton Watisfaces two 7th place finished in an 8 car series gives him the experience required to rock Indycar.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/team_penske/status/1225071632580009984?s=21

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this kicks rear end.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Big Huski Boi posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this kicks rear end.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That’s awesome news. Can’t wait to see how he does.