Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Anyone who says they haven't missed a cert expiry is a liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

no certs no problems

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Methanar posted:

I have a certbot for that.

*Apple arbitrarily changes what it considers a valid cert killing half of the company intranet for our safari users*

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Methanar posted:

My certs? No way.

All previously existing certs that no one has ever heard of? Hell yea.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Don't have to worry about valid certs if you tell the users to click "Advanced" and then to continue anyway :colbert:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Whoops wrong thread

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

klosterdev posted:

Don't have to worry about valid certs if you tell the users to click "Advanced" and then to continue anyway :colbert:

*eye twitches*

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
You can get past pretty much any security error in chrome by typing "thisisunsafe".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They change the code to do that every once in a while and even base64 encode it in the source to make it even more obscure so it's pretty obvious they don't want you to use it unless you absolutely have no other option.

Edit: yes, I know, :thejoke:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Why in the holy gently caress does teams use system volume instead of its own volume control? I can't set different levels for different participants?

gently caress

Edit, oh fun, you can only do it in the mixer and not the app. Incredible.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Anyone here have any experience working for HashiCorp? I’m seeing a bunch of job posting somewhat local to me and the timing would be good as I’m getting sick of management slowly dragging our department backwards and telling us to use ‘consultants’.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

LOL the cert issue was literally on the morning we rolled out Teams to 400 IT workers

sooooooooo many salty posts in the Slack we also still have

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lmfao I just learned that our security team has their own extremely yolo, secret, untooled and ghetto kubernetes infra completely separate from the real ones that my team owns and they had the balls to ask for help with it.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 5, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Methanar posted:

lmfao I just learned that our security team has their own extremely yolo, secret, untooled and ghetto kubernetes infra completely separate from the real ones that my team owns and they had the balls to ask for help with it.

do you work with me

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That tells me that your "security" team has no idea what security means, and needs to be fired immediately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wait till you see how rad the plex server is

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Anyone here have any experience working for HashiCorp? I’m seeing a bunch of job posting somewhat local to me and the timing would be good as I’m getting sick of management slowly dragging our department backwards and telling us to use ‘consultants’.
I haven't worked there but tried to poach SREs from what at the time was HashiCorp Atlas, and I was extremely unsuccessful. Engagement seems generally high

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Got a few friends there. They like it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Darchangel posted:

That tells me that your "security" team has no idea what security means, and needs to be fired immediately.

It's so top secret and secure that they can't even trust other people in IT with it.

Unless it breaks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Methanar posted:

Say yes, then integrate them into the proper Kubernetes and delete theirs.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

taqueso posted:

Wait till you see how rad the plex server is

The first rule of plex: we do not talk about the plex server.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Darchangel posted:

Lmao jumping to immediately firing them is a bit extreme dude. This is a really weird hot take.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
A team having their own kubernetes anything is not exactly all that weird. Like was it exposed to the internet or something? What is the concern?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Like, I run my own kubernetes cluster. My team has a sandbox with one. All independent from our prod kubernetes. It's completely normal and fine. It's how people learn, experiment, PoC, mess around, etc. And the ops guys help us all the time, it's super interesting and fun.

Chill the loving gently caress out, imo

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
That its secret, in 6 months of owning kubernetes I've never heard of it is surprising for one.

Then that I get total nonsense questions about problems with ingress and its actually for some abomination of a k8s deployment. Again, for something I've never heard of and is definitely not something I'm going to support.

I suppose its not really a concern because I don't care or have any personal investment nor will ever touch, but its just really surprising to me that there is some special not-even-eks k8s floating around that isn't the big centrally managed and operated ones that several hundred people use just fine.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 5, 2020

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Devops built a K8s cluster with the 'if we build it they will come' mentality.

Our netsec team was, is, and continues to be a primary consumer of their infrastructure.

Windows can't figure out how to do things outside of a Windows box. Network doesn't trust automation. VMware is using it lightly but can't get most of their devs out of vrops. Security loves their scheduled tasks so much they have dedicated Windows boxes for it. Storage doesn't know what automation means.

So glad I'm on one of the few modern teams in this company. I don't even script something I have to do more than once; I build an app in Go, provide API endpoints to kick off jobs, and deploy to prod. Then the script is all of 'invoke-restmethod -uri app/dothing'. It's beautiful.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Which one of y’all wrote the Iowa caucus app?

https://twitter.com/trumpdba/status/822608685381877760?s=21

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 5, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

jaegerx posted:

Which one of y’all wrote the Iowa caucus app?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

VMware is using it lightly but can't get most of their devs out of vrops.

Please tell me more about virtual reality ops.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A project came up last year that involves pulling a lot of cable. We have some bad and old ducts so it's risky business.
The contract got signed monday(?) and the work arrangements were made without me which is... unusual.

I am now getting calls from the principal contractor and he is obviously concerned because there is funding deadline which means the work has to be complete by the end of March

I am not sure if this is a thing outside of the UK, but you can go online and check the 'minimum guaranteed ADSL speed' that the ISP will provide. I am in the middle of nowhere so we get about 2mb.

The contractor then rings me again and says "ah, I have a problem, I have checked and they can only guarantee 0.2mb so my system wont work - what I'll do is install a line, if it works, we will install all the infrastructure in the next FY"

Whilst speaking to him, I checked myself and it says 1-3mb so he is blatantly BS'ing to get out of meeting this tight deadline.

On the phone, he even said "there is 1 option, we could piggy back on your 2mb line" - expecting the normal government reaction to be 'hell naw' but I was bored and said yeah I think we might be able to do something like that... he could not hang up on me fast enough haha.

So now I am going to see the project sponsor on my side in half an hour to say he is pulling out, which means we wont have anything to spend some funding on, which will obviously be annoying to the sponsor.

Where's that MJ eating popcorn meme...

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

angry armadillo posted:

A project came up last year that involves pulling a lot of cable. We have some bad and old ducts so it's risky business.
The contract got signed monday(?) and the work arrangements were made without me which is... unusual.

I am now getting calls from the principal contractor and he is obviously concerned because there is funding deadline which means the work has to be complete by the end of March

I am not sure if this is a thing outside of the UK, but you can go online and check the 'minimum guaranteed ADSL speed' that the ISP will provide. I am in the middle of nowhere so we get about 2mb.

The contractor then rings me again and says "ah, I have a problem, I have checked and they can only guarantee 0.2mb so my system wont work - what I'll do is install a line, if it works, we will install all the infrastructure in the next FY"

Whilst speaking to him, I checked myself and it says 1-3mb so he is blatantly BS'ing to get out of meeting this tight deadline.

On the phone, he even said "there is 1 option, we could piggy back on your 2mb line" - expecting the normal government reaction to be 'hell naw' but I was bored and said yeah I think we might be able to do something like that... he could not hang up on me fast enough haha.

So now I am going to see the project sponsor on my side in half an hour to say he is pulling out, which means we wont have anything to spend some funding on, which will obviously be annoying to the sponsor.

Where's that MJ eating popcorn meme...

So what useless poo poo are you buying to use up the funding?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Shut up Meg posted:

So what useless poo poo are you buying to use up the funding?

I was in a city government and I was moving an office. When I was done the office manager told me that we had a $300,000 surplus that I needed to spend due to use-it-or-loose-it budget rules.

I ended up buying all kinds of stuff like new desktops and monitors, a whole cabinet full of servers, new network gear, the works. I basically moved the office and then bought enough gear to build two more offices from scratch.

A few weeks later as I’m unboxing all the kit the office manager comes back in a panic because apparently the $300k was a pooled fund for several departments and EVERYONE had drawn it down to zero so the fund was about to be about a million dollars overdrawn. I’m sitting in a room with thirty workstations that I was using as a folding farm and we won’t be able to buy tape or paper or toner.

Welp!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's amazing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So uh, Microsoft isn’t having a good week, are they?

Bing outages are killing the windows 10 search box, fix is to disable cortana and bing integration via registry hahaha.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

devmd01 posted:

Bing outages are killing the windows 10 search box, fix is to disable cortana and bing integration via registry hahaha.

Yeah it's hosed. My users are thrilled.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

I was in a city government and I was moving an office. When I was done the office manager told me that we had a $300,000 surplus that I needed to spend due to use-it-or-loose-it budget rules.

I ended up buying all kinds of stuff like new desktops and monitors, a whole cabinet full of servers, new network gear, the works. I basically moved the office and then bought enough gear to build two more offices from scratch.

A few weeks later as I’m unboxing all the kit the office manager comes back in a panic because apparently the $300k was a pooled fund for several departments and EVERYONE had drawn it down to zero so the fund was about to be about a million dollars overdrawn. I’m sitting in a room with thirty workstations that I was using as a folding farm and we won’t be able to buy tape or paper or toner.

Welp!

Sounds like a good time to go paperless~

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

devmd01 posted:

I find myself saying it more and more, and it's making me feel old, but I'll say it anyways. The future is so stupid.

Seriously, if you told me 15 years ago the poo poo I'd still being dealing with and the new stupid poo poo I'd be dealing with, I think I would have been a carpenter or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Dell EMC just dropped off a box of bagels and coffee in an attempt to convince us to buy their SAN.
They didn't bring cream cheese or jam or even butter. Monsters!

I think they just lost our business.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

devmd01 posted:

What kind of enterprise didn't already disable Cortana, and uses Bing?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

devmd01 posted:

Mine isn't broken. Am I just lucky or is this west coast "it's already fixed" happening?