Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

MJeff posted:

So uh.

Who the gently caress is Mike Bloomberg?

He's basically the unstoppable candidate. Leftists hate him because he invented Stop and Frisk, the policy where cops can stop and search black people for no reason. Conservatives hate him because he banned large sodas. And moderates hate him because he's a four foot tall screechy billionaire who knows better than you how you should live.

He has universal negative appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Republicans posted:

Did he win a single delegate in Iowa? Doesn't he have to win some in order to spoil anything?

The theory we are fearfully talking about here is that Bloomberg throws a fit, gets on every ballot he can as an independent ala Ross Perot, and then screws the country into 4 more years of Trump. It'll take a lot of money to do that, but he has it, and given how badly he's now doing in the polls despite ramping up spending this week, you'd think he would have quit by now unless his true intentions were to either screw the Dems, or get publicity. Hopefully its the latter.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mcmagic posted:

Bloomberg will 100% run as a 3rd party if Bernie wins the nomination.

Trump is personally insulting Bloomberg, so he might be disinclined to do this as a pride thing.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ice Phisherman posted:

Dystopias are largely associated with tyrannical governments. Anarchism rejects the concept of governments altogether.

Anarchism is stupid for similar reasons to libertarianism. Utopian governments in sci-fi are quiet non interfering.

Everyone loves Bernies platform of no more government to restrain corporate interests.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Can't believe Buttigieg is winning Iowa at the moment. With the fuckery going on, we may never see the rest of the caucus votes counted, so this could be final for Iowa.

I really thought Sanders would run away with it.

I hope it doesn't suppress his support in the rest of the primaries.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Anarchism does create a power vacuum, yeah. And the trick is to keep us all from killing each other without someone monopolizing the use of violence. And how to keep any one group or groups of people from seizing on said vacuum to monopolize violence again.

Anarcho-Syndicalism is not what most of us would define as libertarian as that term has largely been hijacked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-syndicalism

Basically it means that you work with your buddies and you take all of the fruits of your labor and they belong to everyone who made them. It is the elimination of wage and instead what you made belongs to the community and what the community made belongs to you. And you can draw on it as need.ed. Basically this creates a kind of community equity, not only in goods, but in your access to labor as well.

As for that being dystopian, Ursula K. LeGuin wrote about a theoretical anarch-syndicalist utopia in the book "The Dispossessed" and it was pretty cool. If you don't like how people are treating you, you leave. If you want to create a new working group, or syndicate, you do so. And if someone tries to oppress you, you have it out with them, because no one is able to monopolize violence. There is no state to do so.

Dystopias are largely associated with tyrannical governments. Anarchism rejects the concept of governments altogether.

gently caress anarchism. I'd spit on you if I could.

Anarchism simply means that anyone who doesn't fit in with the community gets trampled on and there is no one there to help them.

"If you don't like how people are treating you, you leave"

Hmm sounds a lot like "If you don't like the country, gently caress off."

"And if someone tries to oppress you, you have it out with them, because no one is able to monopolize violence"

Can't wait to live next to white supremacist communities who get to kill black people with no repercussions.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

yeah, I'm really not worried about Bernie in California.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why are they not being sued right now in that case

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The only positive note - Biden is like 16th on that ballot

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't this the thing where it's randomized?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Crows Turn Off posted:

Can't believe Buttigieg is winning Iowa at the moment. With the fuckery going on, we may never see the rest of the caucus votes counted, so this could be final for Iowa.

I really thought Sanders would run away with it.

I hope it doesn't suppress his support in the rest of the primaries.

It was a classic urban/rural split. Des Moines and the college towns went hard for Bernie. The stupid loving rest of the state were scared off by him.

Its just Iowa, he will finish at least 2nd. Good enough, he survived the Iowa caucus, on to New Hampshire where he practically has home field advantage.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

And a cyborg.

Flatlander Woman

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Rigel posted:

It was a classic urban/rural split. Des Moines and the college towns went hard for Bernie. The stupid loving rest of the state were scared off by him.

Its just Iowa, he will finish at least 2nd. Good enough, he survived the Iowa caucus, on to New Hampshire where he practically has home field advantage.

if only we had the full vote count to make statements like this. oh well, second sounds good enough, 62% of the vote is conclusive

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Uglycat posted:

Gift economy
Does this mean we owe the Terra Malatora guy an apology?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

This needle page is loving bonkers. They should animate all the different needles so they're wobbling as if the tally is constantly changing.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...dw01R7S4vzlY-3U

There was a tweet earlier in this thread and I didn't think to bookmark it, but it's been conveniently left behind...
it listed all the campaigns that had contributed money to Shadow Inc. It was more than just one, and from all appearances it's a company that sells campaign software to campaigns and state parties.

Seems like it refutes one of the central pieces the 'spook' conspiracy theory is build upon.

e: all evidence has been consistent with the results we're seeing. Pete's statements and data, Bernie's statements and data, each claiming victory, all the reporting we're hearing from individual caucus sites... it's all lining up. There's been no loving with numbers. If there was malice, it was a disruption of the reporting software and injection of narratives. I could only speculate on the actor, but the math doesn't add up at all that this is the outcome Mayo Pete wanted.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Permanent vote by mail supremacy

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rigel posted:

The theory we are fearfully talking about here is that Bloomberg throws a fit, gets on every ballot he can as an independent ala Ross Perot, and then screws the country into 4 more years of Trump. It'll take a lot of money to do that, but he has it, and given how badly he's now doing in the polls despite ramping up spending this week, you'd think he would have quit by now unless his true intentions were to either screw the Dems, or get publicity. Hopefully its the latter.
I remember being advised not to freak out as much over Bloomberg running in 2020 versus when he thought of running in 2016. I guess this isn't true and I should just wait for him to gently caress over the Electoral College?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

They’re not going to release any more results, are they?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

Terrorism is largely under the purview of the executive branch, which has some really lovely downsides, but because the term basically means anything, a sponge that can fit into any space and is at the whim of the person in charge, who gets charged and who doesn't would be defined largely by the white house. And the white house also has the power of the pardon.

However, from some googling, I don't think that it would constitute terrorism. We're not that hosed in terms of labor. At least yet.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a trucker strike at this moment is basically inevitable. I'm not joking when I say that shitloads of truckers out there are getting irradiated. The bullshit we pull out of the ground is stuffed with a nuclear version of radon and they're alpha particles, which mean that they soak into your bones and never come out. And there's no safe amount and wherever truckers go, it goes, because the brine sticks to them because of basically no safety standards, so parking lots, rest stops, hotels and motels, as well as the de-icer in like thirteen states also use the nuclear brine. And we're pulling a trillion gallons of the poo poo out of the ground a year. So whenever you de-ice your roads, there's a chance you're creating a nuclear spill that has an average half-life of 1600 years before it decays.

It's probably the biggest environmental disaster since Lake Michigan caught on fire and people are slowly waking up to it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/

Long article, but loving jaw dropping in terms of the depths of the evil that are done by oil and gas companies. Besides wrecking our environment in general anyway.

Saying stuff like "a nuclear version of radon and they're alpha particles, which mean that they soak into your bones and never come out" is a bad form of science communication because it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. Anyone who paid attention in AP chem in high school will understand the words and realize you've strung them together in a way that doesn't make sense.

Better to say that the activity levels in brine are 2,000 times the legal limit for water, and it's exempt from regulation and sprayed all over the place. That is both true and should get people's attention.

The phenomenon IP has offered a garbled explanation of is radium salts in fracking brine. Radium is a decay product of naturally occurring uranium 238 in shales and granites. Unlike uranium, radium is water soluble by itself, and so it ends up in fracking brine coming back up out of wells. Shales in the eastern US turned out to be about five times more radioactive than geologists expected, and the oil industry has managed to sweep that fact under the rug for 20 years by inserting exemptions and gag orders into the relevant regulations.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 5, 2020

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Focusing on the SDEs over the actual delegate count or the actual popular vote is entirely a sham.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1224872105923223552

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jon Irenicus posted:

if only we had the full vote count to make statements like this. oh well, second sounds good enough, 62% of the vote is conclusive

He's probably gonna win the popular vote if that makes you feel better. He's only "losing" (maybe?) because caucuses are silly things.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Lol the only story that makes sense at this point is massive fuckups in the 1st ballot > 2nd ballot -> delegates process. If this was just about verifying the votes that should have been done by like noon today even if everyone had to personally walk the results from their precinct to Des Moines.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so did they give any numbers yet

i crave numbers

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ascii genitals posted:

This needle page is loving bonkers. They should animate all the different needles so they're wobbling as if the tally is constantly changing.

The wobble is there because it’s hard coded to always wobble.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

V. Illych L. posted:

so did they give any numbers yet

i crave numbers

we are never going to see those numbers lol

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Grouchio posted:

I remember being advised not to freak out as much over Bloomberg running in 2020 versus when he thought of running in 2016. I guess this isn't true and I should just wait for him to gently caress over the Electoral College?

Honestly Bloomberg's spoiler destroying the electoral college might be worth 4 more years of Trump, I don't know. Hopefully people would rebel to get the remaining few needed states into the interstate compact. This election already destroyed the caucus nonsense at least.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh so a technical tie and a win on popular vote, that's not great but ok i guess

biden's hosed though

itsameta4
Sep 29, 2013
I thought alpha particles can barely penetrate your skin anyway.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bloomberg has infinite money at his disposal, were i him i would simply outright bribe every delegate to make me the nominee

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Does Jeff Bezos make a vanity run or does he accept he's powerful enough as he is and buys all of the govt?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

Focusing on the SDEs over the actual delegate count or the actual popular vote is entirely a sham.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1224872105923223552

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The thing which makes the Iowa caucus even sillier is that its impossible to accurately forecast how many delegates you win. All we (might) know this week is the precinct-level delegates.

But those delegates might decide they have better things to do than political boring bullshit, and gently caress off instead of go to the county convention, and then who knows after that. Its why Ron Paul ultimately got the most delegates to the RNC, his precinct delegates were hard core believers.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

itsameta4 posted:

yeah they're thicc

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

CelestialScribe posted:

quote:

Anarchism simply means that anyone who doesn't fit in with the community gets trampled on and there is no one there to help them.

Anarchism is wide and varied in terms of how it's practiced. Boiling down a huge concept like anarchism would be like boiling down liberal democracies or communism. How it is practiced in place to place varies wildly.

This isn't some so called libertarian paradise where everyone who doesn't have money is a slave. And I think you're confusing me for something along those lines.

quote:

Or you stay and tell people who are anti-social to leave.

quote:

Countries don't exist in an anarchist framework because there would be no borders.

quote:

Can't wait to live next to white supremacist communities who get to kill black people with no repercussions.

That's already largely happening and has happened under our so called liberal democracy. There's a job for that and they're called the police. They also don't exist under an anarchist framework as they monopolize violence and the monopolization of violence is what governments do.

I really think that you're confusing my ideology with some Koch Brothers style "libertarian paradise" where everything is monstrous.

No governments, no corporations, no borders, no race, no masters, no private property, maybe personal property.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

"And if someone tries to oppress you, you have it out with them, because no one is able to monopolize violence"

This is about as nuanced an understanding as the boomers who think communism means no one has personal property anymore.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Ice Phisherman posted:

This isn't some so called libertarian paradise where everyone who doesn't have money is a slave.

Yes, it is. If you don't see how it doesn't become that then you're beyond saving.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Rigel posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The thing which makes the Iowa caucus even sillier is that its impossible to accurately forecast how many delegates you win. All we (might) know this week is the precinct-level delegates.

But those delegates might decide they have better things to do than political boring bullshit, and gently caress off instead of go to the county convention, and then who knows after that. Its why Ron Paul ultimately got the most delegates to the RNC, their precinct delegates were hard core believers.

The whole caucus process is horseshit. If you spent time out of your day to go and vote and then your delegate doesn't go, your vote doesn't count. Democracy! Although nothing beats 2016's thing where the gym leader or whatever they're called made Clinton and Bernie groups shout and then awarded the win to whoever shouted louder because he didn't want to bother counting. Bernie's group was louder but he awarded Clinton anyway and then quickly ran out which made the result final.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 5, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

itsameta4 posted:

Alpha particles do damage the cells on the outer layer of your skin, but you don't care because those cells are dead and cannot cause cancer or necrosis. Your lungs and bones and intestines are not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gatts posted:

Does Jeff Bezos make a vanity run or does he accept he's powerful enough as he is and buys all of the govt?

i think that running for president is a retirement thing, probably. they want to cash in one more time and sit in the big chair before they die. this, i suspect, is because they suddenly realise that they've not really gotten much fulfilment from their stuff and decide that this last morsel is going to make everything ok