Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

was it the housers that were responsible for that? they've been making games for 30 years and horse balls only describes like 3 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

precision posted:

I didn't mean to imply crunch is unlikely, my point was that the crunch would be the problem, not the abstract notion of "tell Rockstar to get a move on"

In fact, with one Houser gone, maybe they'll not be as obsessed with lovingly recreating horse balls and poo poo

It's more likely they'll go into permanent crunch so that Take 2 have a steady supply of reskinned horse balls to put in lootboxes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Rockstar needs to stop pretending they're gonna make the next Godfather movie as a game and get back to the fun silly poo poo

It took them like 4 years to start adding flying cars to GTAO and its something the engine was always capable of and is extremely fun to mess with. Saint's row had the right idea making you a Superhero and The President. Kinda wish R* would do something like that.

Alternatively, just give me another Vice City, or some other time period piece.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Roth posted:

Gonna need some taxing games to test it out.

Accounting+

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Dan Houser was their lead writer despite not being the only one, so you might see some changes in the tone of their future output.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

well i can't ever get a comfortable grip. i think it's because of how tense your hand is when your thumbs are that low whilst your index fingers have to be outstretched a bit (but still curved) to support and keep the console upright. the index finger is in a much more neutral position when holding e.g. a gameboy.

i wouldnt describe holding the vita as requiring tension at all, it just sort of rests on your back 6 fingers, indexs up at the shoulders. i wouldnt say it requires actively gripping. just sort of sits there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The PS Vita: It Just Sort of Sits There

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Vita means lifeless grip

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GUI posted:

Dan Houser was their lead writer despite not being the only one, so you might see some changes in the tone of their future output.

RDR2 was so much better written than GTA5, I have to wonder if he really had as much input as usual

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You don’t need a death grip to hold anything electronic imo. Just use your pinky as support if you got slippery hands

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

precision posted:

RDR2 was so much better written than GTA5, I have to wonder if he really had as much input as usual

The Housers love ripping off movies more than the average modern video game. They just had different material to crib from. Same reason Max Payne 3 looks like high art compared to the GTA titles.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Well this sucks

quote:

Sony Interactive Entertainment is shutting down its Manchester Studio, a team assembled in 2015 to develop an unannounced PlayStation VR title.

SIE confirmed the closure in a statement to GamesIndustry, saying that the closure is “part of our efforts to improve efficiency and operational effectiveness.”

Gamasutra has independently confirmed that the entirety of the studio's staff has been laid off as part of the closure.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/357604/Sony_Interactive_Entertainments_VRfocused_Manchester_Studio_to_close_down.php

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Look, Playstation only had their second best year ever so Sony needed to tighten their belts. It's very understandable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GUI posted:

The Housers love ripping off movies more than the average modern video game. They just had different material to crib from. Same reason Max Payne 3 looks like high art compared to the GTA titles.

I didn't know Max Payne was written by the Housers

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

3 was which is why the tone is so different compared to the first two which were written by Remedy's Sam Lake (Alan Wake, Control).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It helps that you can tune out most of the dialogue b/c of the HEALTH soundtrack

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

houser is only credited for writing the tv skits

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The more I replay Freelancer the more I realize why other space sim games just don't hold up - they have literally zero charm. It's an old clunky game but stuff like the little journey the protagonist keeps letting you know his thoughts on things he's a dumb rear end in a top hat or the new bulletins different in each sector that update each mission to give you a sense of what's going on in the world beyond "space gas prices Good" and more just make it actually fun to go places, dock in an otherwise identical station (like all of them they're all kitbashed, but you know, budgets), shoot dudes for their flavor of ship, and repeat. Having space anomalies and space weather is all the better. It sucked but Rebel Galaxy is the only other one that actually came close to having an atmosphere - everything in that game is grungy as poo poo and you're just some dickhead redneck trucker.

X3 (and to a way lesser extent because they hosed the game up, X4) let you build empires and space fleets, but you do nothing with them and even if you could, who actually cares? Nothing is actually going on in the universe. You could never leave the starting sector and not actually miss any part of the game. There's no mystery or [/i]style[/i]. The big secret thing to find in X3 is a hub which lets you connect two sectors for better trading. Who cares! In Freelancer you can find alien worlds that kill you to be near, a planet of the apes, a planet of the mechanomen, broken colony ships, and and hulks and wrecks to get loot and gear and they all have a bit of flavor to let you know what the deal with the broken bounter hunter ship near the blown up space highway in the dark matter nebula with a lightning storm in it somehow is.

Too bad the successor to Freelancer is effectively Star Citizen lmao

e: Also there's a dumb space race in a game where everyone has the same max speed so the race is secretly you winning because you can pitch left and right and the ai can't lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 5, 2020

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Dan Houser did some interviews around Max Payne 3's release talking about the writing and interviewing real police officers for ~~maximum realism~~ regarding Max's personality and he gets top billing in the intro cinematic so I highly doubt it was just relegated to the TV dialogue.

Edit: He also wrote that tie-in comic that no one read alongside Lake.

GUI fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 5, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GUI posted:

3 was which is why the tone is so different compared to the first two which were written by Remedy's Sam Lake (Alan Wake, Control).

Oh poo poo I had no idea the Max Payne guy was that guy too

That's a drat fine resume

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Who wrote Quantum Break

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

GUI posted:

Dan Houser did some interviews around Max Payne 3's release talking about the writing and interviewing real police officers for ~~maximum realism~~ regarding Max's personality and he gets top billing in the intro cinematic so I highly doubt it was just relegated to the TV dialogue.

A great approach if you want to write a hamfisted knockoff of Man on Fire, rather than a good sequel to the original Max Payne games. gently caress Max Payne 3.

Sam Lake rules, Dan Houser drools.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Who wrote Quantum Break

Well, nobody's prefect

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I am a weirdo who thinks Max Payne 2 is just okay but I am also a petty jerk who refuses to buy Max Payne 3 for anything greater than $5. I've heard it's somewhat better than its reputation and kinda fun to play regardless of how well it meshes with the other two games, but they stopped dropping the price to $5 during sales so I guess I'll never find out for sure.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quantum Break like other Sam Lake games is a great tribute to its genre inspirations, it's just that those genre inspirations in Quantum Break's case were those slew of bad Lost knockoff shows which were all over TV in the late 00s and they all sucked rear end

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

afaik the lead writer for Quantum Break was someone else. ninja edit: MobyGames says the game had two writers and Sam Lake was executive producer.

GUI fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 5, 2020

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Max Payne 3 was a fucken gem of the last generation of gaming. It slaps and I won’t hear otherwise.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah Max Payne 3 rules and its a better conclusion to the franchise than 2 was.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

max payne 3 is the best max payne

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really wish someone would make a modern game even halfway as exciting and awesome as max Payne 3

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That reminds me, I've had a copy of Max Payne 3 for the 360 that I got for a couple bucks years ago and never actually got around to playing.
In fact, I've gotta hook my 360 back up and play that and all the other games I bought and never got around to.

Is the online for Killer Queen Black already dead? I picked it up on sale the other day and almost every match is half bots. I didn't think it would be that hard to get a full game just a couple of months after release. Especially with cross-platform multiplayer.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 5, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

man nurse posted:

Max Payne 3 was a fucken gem of the last generation of gaming. It slaps and I won’t hear otherwise.

wrong

GUI posted:

Yeah Max Payne 3 rules and its a better conclusion to the franchise than 2 was.

wronger

Stux posted:

max payne 3 is the best max payne

wrongest!

mp3 took all the heart of the first two games - and especially max payne 2, which is one of the best-written titles in the entire medium - and pulped it into rockstar's usual queasy paste of ripped-from-the-headlines schlock and half-assed attempts at social commentary. the aesthetics were searingly ugly and the gunplay was trash. the much-vaunted airport shootout consisted of you running through a giant empty room as fifty assholes took potshots from behind barriers on the upper floor

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I think people only like the airport shootout because of the music.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Max Payne sucks, all of them

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

GUI posted:

afaik the lead writer for Quantum Break was someone else. ninja edit: MobyGames says the game had two writers and Sam Lake was executive producer.
One of the two writers left company and country halfway through, after getting my friend pregnant

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just finished Control yesterday and that game was good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i've loved the gta series for a long time but it's almost exclusively because of the open-world aspects. the mission design was never particularly inspired and by today's standards feels very primitive. each mission is its own little discrete linear vignette, but i'd like to see the series adopt a more rpg-like approach to missions where they're of grander scope and you can accept and track multiple missions simultaneously. gta 5 has an absolutely incredible game world, dense, varied and rich with detail, but it feels like it goes to waste hosting kind of an average action game. simply driving around finding stuff to do is far more compelling.

narratively i'm also beyond tired of playing as crazy guy who loves crimes. i know that's kind of the defining feature of the series but i think you can preserve the freedom to do that kind of thing off-mission while telling a more grounded story starring a more relatable character. idk. maybe what i really want isn't grand theft auto at all but like, a crime-themed alpha protocol. there should be more rpgs set in the real world

Weedle
May 31, 2006

also the overall tone of pretty much all of rockstar's games has really come to grate on me. they seem to revel in pointless cruelty, not always violent in nature but just extremely misanthropic and contemptuous

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

That reminds me that I saw some Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing footage today and I remembered that they didn't want to use the word "dead" so they called House of the Dead "Curien Mansion"

I didn't know they avoided the name, I just assumed it was Curien Mansion because that's what it was :P Though it sucks that the house of the dead reps were those 2 zombies from the spinoff goofy arcade game and not James Taylor and Gary Stewart. Like, All Stars Racing Transformed was practically begging for those 2. House of the Dead 2 already had a driving section and a boating section and it's not like they couldn't just have them fly around on Emperor or Tower :v:

GUI posted:

As someone who was really into The House of the Dead back in the day I'd assume if they cared to explain it couldn't they say that between both games he injected himself with poo poo to be a young immortal man? It'd fit right into how goofy the franchise is.

Yeah probably. Though the photo makes it funnier still.

The photo from Scarlet Dawn shows him looking pretty old already, not as he does in Scarlet Dawn but still old, and the photo would have to be taken by 1998 at the latest since that's when Curien died. Then he ages backwards a bit by 2004 for the second Goldman Venice incident in House of the Dead 4, then goes back to being super old 2 years later in 06, and then ages backward until the apocalypse happens and then in 2019 the military raid on the EFI building occurs.

Thornheart's whole schtick so far has pretty much been talking about diseases, surviving them, evolving beyond humanity, and specifically pointing out poo poo like the cure that Curien develops for his terminally ill son having another more important purpose. Thornheart already said he survived some terminal illness and his obsession is pretty much just trying to guide humanity to a new stage of evolution through the mutative properties of all the research done between him, Curien, Goldman, and possibly Clement. Curien managed to get himself resurrected as the Wheel of Fate and the cure apparently worked on Daniel and fixed his terminal illness but, depending on how good of a shot you are, Daniel is fine if you're bad or the serum turns him into a zombie if you're good. I wouldn't be surprised if the cure is some kind of new breakthrough in the creation of new creatures, though it's a tad late considering how hosed the world is by 2019.

I know the reality of it is that they didn't think that far ahead regarding Thornheart's design though lol.

Also there is one major arcana card left meaning a new House of the Dead would probably end up having a bunch of refights, unfortunately, though it'd be cool if they used the minor arcana as well, just using the 4 suits for 4 bosses and then the last one can be the Devil.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hey Joey when ya gonna drill me