Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Roth posted:

I fell off halfway through Matt Smith's final season, is it worth picking up from where I left off or should I just skip to a generally agreed to be good point?

You may as well just pick up where you left off. There is never a universally agreed good point with Doctor Who fans. Personally I think the Moffat/Capaldi era was consistently gold and the Chibnall/Whittaker era has been pretty mediocre so far so if you were to follow my advice you would only be skipping like three episodes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Matt Smith ends strong, Capaldi starts slow but his first season ends up being really good. Next couple seasons are a mixed bag but include some genuinely sensational episodes including one of the best ever made in Heaven Sent. Whittaker's first season's biggest issue is that it's only "fine" and let down by a not particularly great final episode (the New Year's Special is a big improvement) but the characters/actors in the main cast are superb and carry some only okay episodes through sheer chemistry, plus it isn't afraid to tackle some areas of history that the show usually avoids. Plus It Takes You Away is a bonkers weird episode that I put up there with the best of any previous season.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

the characters/actors in the main cast are superb and carry some only okay episodes through sheer chemistry, plus it isn't afraid to tackle some areas of history that the show usually avoids.

I would disagree with this about the actors. I think the cast aren't particularly impressive and though they seemingly do alright with what they're given (and to be fair to them they're often not given much) I find myself bored of them when the writing's not there, which is pretty often.

I do agree (with reservations) about the history episodes though: Rosa is a solid history lesson and actually addresses racism (unlike many prior historical episodes), and Demons of the Punjab is brilliant and shines a spotlight on an area of history that British people are sadly often ignorant about.

My reservation is that I feel like they've not kept up that quality - the history episodes since then have mostly been poor imitations of the Russell T Davies era celebrity historical figure romps and the episodes which have had a social justice messages have fallen a bit flat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've been delighted by the actors and their characters, with the exception that Mandip Gill has been extremely let down in terms of her character getting to stand out in any way. The chemistry between the three of them and especially with the Doctor is a treat even in the "worst" episodes.

I agree that so far this season they've not really followed up on the willingness to explore historical episodes covering rough periods, though there has at least been a strong emphasis on environmental issues which I approve of.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Anyone remember Aramu?

...anyone? :ohdear:

I did and that made me kinda mad.

She was delegating constantly and damned weirdly but not when it would have a material impact on the safety of a character she's supposed to care about (that is, a human life). Jarring. There are too many characters running around, doing too much, and somehow at the same time too little. Send a loving buddy out.

A passable episode otherwise

edit: and I have a personal feud with Chibnall that I've been nursing ever since A Tale In Crimson or w/e that Matt Smith episode is called.

god I hate that episode so much

juche avocado fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 5, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Crimson Horror? Wasn't that (wonderful) episode written by Mark Gatiss?

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Yeah, oops, that sounds right. I hate them both :eng99: Now I have to go look up why it is I hate Chibnall. ...did he write the stupid loving trees in london episode?

I think I've made exactly that mistake itt before too, heh

edit: I guess I birthed this opinion somewhere between 42 ??? and The Power of Three. Maybe I should let old hatred go :shrug:

edit2: yeah 42 was fine, iirc

juche avocado fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 5, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I've been delighted by the actors and their characters, with the exception that Mandip Gill has been extremely let down in terms of her character getting to stand out in any way. The chemistry between the three of them and especially with the Doctor is a treat even in the "worst" episodes.

I agree that so far this season they've not really followed up on the willingness to explore historical episodes covering rough periods, though there has at least been a strong emphasis on environmental issues which I approve of.

The Ryan/Graham asides and interactions are just awesome. :swoon:

I can see some good BF audios with just the two of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

juche avocado posted:

Yeah, oops, that sounds right. I hate them both :eng99: Now I have to go look up why it is I hate Chibnall. ...did he write the stupid loving trees in london episode?

I think I've made exactly that mistake itt before too, heh

edit: I guess I birthed this opinion somewhere between 42 ??? and The Power of Three. Maybe I should let old hatred go :shrug:

edit2: yeah 42 was fine, iirc

Chibnall's biggest flaw before he became showrunner was that his episodes rarely left the 'serviceable' range. They were never bad, but they were also rarely ever all that good.

You could level the same complaint about him as showrunner, I guess, but I'd disagree on it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Not bad ep. I liked that the Doctor jumped to Autons at the same time I did, and then immediately dismissed them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Matt Smith ends strong, Capaldi starts slow but his first season ends up being really good. Next couple seasons are a mixed bag but include some genuinely sensational episodes including one of the best ever made in Heaven Sent.

Yeah co-signing this. I loved the Capaldi era overall, and this episode might be my favorite episode in the entire series.

I also really loved Bill, and wish we had another season with her, even with Whittaker as the Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still get chills rewatching this sequence, the music and the editing and the acting and the EVERYTHING is just so incredible (obviously don't click if you don't want spoilers!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl9pTDK8PAk

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Love a good bit of time fudgery. Is that the episode where a goon did (or organised?) an amazing painting that ended up being on screen for seconds?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of the prop/set designers, or possibly the lead or only one? Either way he posted here, and the spoken intro was originally going to be seen written on a wall, and you can actually see it in a couple of scenes, but it didn't look good or something so they just had Capaldi narrate it. That dude did a huge amount of stuff that got half a second of screen time, iirc he was pretty good natured about it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even if it doesn't make it in the show, you still get paid for making it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That would be ectoplex, who does set graphics work for a bunch of stuff. Currently he’s working on Red Dwarf, and having a ball. Here’s his site.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1225086941177270273?s=20

Horniest series ever ...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No love for Jackie.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

45 minutes of heavy breathing and squelching noises.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Somebody posted this:

https://twitter.com/PenguinTim/status/1225080866440982530?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, of course.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

They always have a ridiculously fast turnaround on the Lives boxsets. They announce them the month before they come out.

Wonder what's taking them so long on the new Torchwood seasons though. (Which are really really good btw, somehow Torchwood is easily the best / only thing worth listening to from BF these days).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

They always have a ridiculously fast turnaround on the Lives boxsets. They announce them the month before they come out.

Sometimes ... Masterful doesn't come out until Jan 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yo, so I know this thread talks a lot about sloppy or lazy writing or whatever we're calling it, but is there anything worse that Bill's introductory story making a big deal about how much she loves scifi and then her very next episode see her needing literally everything about space explained to her?

I don't think it ever comes up again.

Davros1 posted:

Sometimes ... Masterful doesn't come out until Jan 2021

Masterful isn't a Lives of Captain Jack boxset though?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yo, so I know this thread talks a lot about sloppy or lazy writing or whatever we're calling it, but is there anything worse that Bill's introductory story making a big deal about how much she loves scifi and then her very next episode see her needing literally everything about space explained to her?

I don't think it ever comes up again.

I don't fully remember the details of this, but I can imagine myself, as a sci-fi fan, still going 'what the gently caress, WHAT THE gently caress' and acting a little dopey during my first foray. Girl got thrown into deep space and the future on basically her second trip, I'd be surprised if she wasn't playing a bit of catchup.

Also, wasn't Bill's second story Smile? I feel like your first two brushes with the Doctor being Pilot and Smile would put anyone in a status of 'I probably shouldn't pretend I know what I'm dealing with'.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Presumably the episode where Bill needed space explained to her was episode 5, which involves space a lot

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Davros1 posted:

Somebody posted this:

https://twitter.com/PenguinTim/status/1225080866440982530?s=20

I realize I am not the target audience for this type of stuff, but... does anybody really want this? Or to put it another way, does anybody want this enough to spend close to $50 on it?

(I realize that because they keep getting made, the answer is yes, so I will make the same observation in 2022 when BG releases The Adventures of That One Kid from Flatline: The First of Four Four Part Stories.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There was apparently at least one book if not a series of them written all about that dude in Empire Strikes Back seen for four seconds running around in a panic with what looks like an ice-cream machine after Lando orders the place get evacuated, all about how this guy was actually a super cool secret double-spy who saved the Rebellion multiple times and also that ice-cream machine had plans for like the second Death Star or something in it.

What I'm saying is that Nick Briggs saw that business model and said,"Yes but what if also Daleks?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You mean Willrow Hood, hero of the rebellion? :swoon:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who Magazine has revealed the names of the rest of the series' episodes.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

There was apparently at least one book if not a series of them written all about that dude in Empire Strikes Back seen for four seconds running around in a panic with what looks like an ice-cream machine after Lando orders the place get evacuated, all about how this guy was actually a super cool secret double-spy who saved the Rebellion multiple times and also that ice-cream machine had plans for like the second Death Star or something in it.

What I'm saying is that Nick Briggs saw that business model and said,"Yes but what if also Daleks?"

Star Wars EU was my first love, I'll pour one out for the millions of people who helped steal the Death Star plans nine times over.

It's the economics of BF that boggle me. It doesn't cost too much to get some up-and-comer to write a 15 page story about Figrin D'an trying to raise the credits to get his jizz band out of its contract with Jabba the Hutt, but you have to book Freema Agyeman for a couple days, pay a half-dozen supporting actors, do sound effects, art design, all that jazz.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The economics of BF and how they operate are a dark science I would love to know more about.

Outgoings:
- Studio running costs (rates, utilities, mortgage/rent)
- Regular staff (sound engineers ain’t cheap? Plus everyone from Nick Briggs to the receptionist)
- Creatives (writers/producers/graphic artists)
- Actors (big names £££££ and day players £££)
- The Lunches
- CD pressing

Incomings
- £15 per CD, £11 per download but also they’re doing sales all the time?

:psyduck:

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

The economics of BF and how they operate are a dark science I would love to know more about.

Outgoings:
- Studio running costs (rates, utilities, mortgage/rent)
- Regular staff (sound engineers ain’t cheap? Plus everyone from Nick Briggs to the receptionist)
- Creatives (writers/producers/graphic artists)
- Actors (big names £££££ and day players £££)
- The Lunches
- CD pressing

Incomings
- £15 per CD, £11 per download but also they’re doing sales all the time?

:psyduck:

Well, if you can read between the lines of these accounts better than I can.

From what I can tell they ain't doing badly?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I did actually look at the Companies House stuff, and it looks like BF are a bunch of different companies duct-taped together, all under Haigh-Ellery as director. If I was more inclined, I’d pore over it.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I did actually look at the Companies House stuff, and it looks like BF are a bunch of different companies duct-taped together, all under Haigh-Ellery as director. If I was more inclined, I’d pore over it.

Wow, I was clearly too lazy to scan down the google results. That's an interesting structure, and I really didn't expect that to be the case. Couldn't see a Big Finish Lunches sadly, I'd happily order some delivery from them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

A look at the Cybermen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I have to say, I like the helmet design. Feels like it deliberately calls back to the OG Cybermen's headgear, with the face inset instead of the whole thing just being one piece. If we have to do Battle Armor Cybermen, that's a nice helmet for ir.

A nice Cyberman design means absolutely nothing to the quality of the story itself, though. Cybermen might have one of the most checkered track records in terms of story quality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe they'll restore the original Cyberman catch phrase.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rhyno posted:

Maybe they'll restore the original Cyberman catch phrase.

All your base are belong to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, digging the OG flanges.